Low Density Support Thread

Junebug D

I didn't see one, so pardon me if this exists somewhere.

There are a lot of threads about FINE hair, and threads where "thin" is used incorrectly to describe strand size and damaged hair. So I was wondering, where are those of us with low density, THIN hair? Where you just don't have many strands and you may have a "scalpy" look?

Can we have a roll call? Share your tips, tricks, thoughts, rants, pictures, and advice here! :grin:

MsSonya

That would be me. :wallbash: Dont have any tips or ideas. :sad: Just would like to acknowledge it. I am using castor oil and henna in hopes that my hair will thicken up. And try to increase my protein. Oh and try to relax only 2x a year.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
LOL, I need to join this support group, with my sparse-haired self. When I part my hair, I always see more scalp than everyone else does. Just a damn shame. SMH.

To make my hair look fuller, I rollerset weekly. I also try to go 12 weeks or more between relaxers, and when I do relax, I don't let them go all the way straight. I think that out of everything I've tried, those two have been the most effective.
I've also been trying JBCO and supplements to thicken my hair. I also take a garlic supplement and eat a diet rich in garlic to keep my hair from shedding. In my mind, the less hair that falls out of my head, the more hair I have. :look: :lol:

my1goodnerve

Yep, that's me. Scalpy is a good description. I'm a 4A natural, somewhere between SL and APL. I'm currently in braids with extensions which I use more for the appearance of thickness than length. Wish I had some tips to share.

AtlantaJJ

You can count me in on this group. My hair has gotten less dense as I get older and my hormones go out of whack. I have to stay on top of my game to keep my hair from thinning out. I'm eating flax seeds, and oil, taking MSM and biotin, evening primrose oil and I'm going to get back on the Maca, it was a mistake for me to stop.

For me its about diet, exercise and keeping my hormones in check.

There are products that will help disguise the "scalpy" look, I haven't tried any of them yet.

taz007

Shan2001 - I have been wanting to tell you that your hair looks awesome in your avatar.

You all may want to look into Joico's Clinicure line. I have been using it for about a week now it and it is AMAZING! It is designed for thinning hair.

I love it for the tingle and to get Diana Ross hair :grin: :gorgeous:

chasturner84

Low density right here! I also have fine strands :sad: Put both of those together and I get super thin hair with a lot of exposed scalp. A fresh relaxer is NOT my friend even though I love the bone straight look. The only thing I have found to help is masking the problem. I rollerset solely for the body. Also, I airdry a lot and it gives me the fullness I am looking for (the improvement in my hair's health is a plus)

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Low density right here! I also have fine strands :sad: Put both of those together and I get super thin hair with a lot of exposed scalp. A fresh relaxer is NOT my friend even though I love the bone straight look. The only thing I have found to help is masking the problem. I rollerset solely for the body. Also, I airdry a lot and it gives me the fullness I am looking for (the improvement in my hair's health is a plus)

YEAH!! :yep:
When I was at home for Christmas break, I was air drying my rollersets because I had no hood dryer and it really does help!
It's like my hair just grew twice as many follicles, just POOF. I was excited too, thinking that I made some kind of progress, until I washed it a few days later and it went right back to its bald looking self. :yawn:

Have any of you ladies tried adding panthenol to your products or using products already rich in panthenol? I hear that it really helps thicken the hair strands, albeit temporarily. It won't help with sparseness, but thicker strands can help with the scalpy look, no?

And Taz007, I'm gonna put the Joico Clinicure on my ever-growing PJ list, thanks for the rec!
But I have to ask why in the hayell you need it for. All that thick hair on your head....:lick:

chasturner84

When I was at home for Christmas break, I was air drying my rollersets because I had no hood dryer and it really does help!
It's like my hair just grew twice as many follicles, just POOF. I was excited too, thinking that I made some kind of progress, until I washed it a few days later and it went right back to its bald looking self. :yawn:

I know the feeling! Before I started airdrying, I can't believe that I was walking around thinking my hair was cute...looking like a dog with mange :lachen:
Have any of you ladies tried adding panthenol to your products or using products already rich in panthenol? I hear that it really helps thicken the hair strands, albeit temporarily. It won't help with sparseness, but thicker strands can help with the scalpy look, no?

I have never added panthenol to my products. Actually it's the first time I've even heard of panthenol. What would be rich in this? Conditioners?

And Taz007, I'm gonna put the Joico Clinicure on my ever-growing PJ list, thanks for the rec!
But I have to ask why in the hayell you need it for. All that thick hair on your head....:lick:

My responses are above and in pink. Taz, I agree with Chaos. I'm pretty upset that you are up in a low density support thread with all that hair you have! Let me get just a little bit of that so I can have a decent ponytail!!! :lachen:

charmtreese

I have thin hair with fine strands! What works for me is stretching my relaxer at least 12 weeks, rollersetting to dry, keeping NG moisturized & soft, using oils that are humectants as moisturizers instead of water based cream moisturizers (they tend to swell my hair strand when I first apply them and then they leave my hair hard, greasy and brittle), using protein regularly.

Junebug D

Shan2001 - I have been wanting to tell you that your hair looks awesome in your avatar.

Thank you, Taz! That means a lot coming from you! :grin:

I'm glad I'm not alone, ladies! Rollersets definitely help give a fuller appearance. It's the only time I feel completely comfortable wearing my hair loose.

Am I the only one skeptical about the "layers add fullness" thing though? I loathe wearing a ponytail because of my layers; I can't imagine how having blunt ends wouldn't help it appear fuller.

Has anyone tried Megatek? Or Nioxin Follicle Booster?

chasturner84

I have thin hair with fine strands! What works for me is stretching my relaxer at least 12 weeks, rollersetting to dry, keeping NG moisturized & soft, using oils that are humectants as moisturizers instead of water based cream moisturizers (they tend to swell my hair strand when I first apply them and then they leave my hair hard, greasy and brittle), using protein regularly.

Thank you, Taz! That means a lot coming from you! :grin:

I'm glad I'm not alone, ladies! Rollersets definitely help give a fuller appearance. It's the only time I feel completely comfortable wearing my hair loose.

Am I the only one skeptical about the "layers add fullness" thing though? I loathe wearing a ponytail because of my layers; I can't imagine how having blunt ends wouldn't help it appear fuller.

Has anyone tried Megatek? Or Nioxin Follicle Booster?

Charm, I'm right there with you on stretching. I was once getting relaxers every 6-8 weeks and my hair always looked thin. When I started my journey last April, I began stretching my relaxers gradually and my hair has thickened a great deal. I have gotten so many compliments on how nice my thicker hair looks now...because it's no longer over-processed.

Shan, layers only added fullness to my hair when it was rollerset. When I wore my hair in a ponytail, it was always so thin looking because there wasn't enough hair in my longest layers. :nono: NEVER again. The only layers I have now are the ones that grow naturally. I hope I make it to APL this year so I can blunt my hair there. My hair looks so full with blunt ends. I haven't tried MT or Follicle booster. I'm always a little skeptical about applying stuff to my scalp...because hair grows from the processes within...

mzsophisticated26

That is me all the way. I have fine and thin hair. I am still struggling with trying to get some thickness. I have been using jbco but I have only seen a slight difference. I don't wear my hair parted because it looks so thin. Its so bad I can't even wear my hair down without adding 2 hair pieces in the front. I texlax my hair 10-12wks, keep my hair jet black, limiting direct heat with rollersetting and I want to buy some Nioxin. I can't take biotin because of breakouts.

taz007

My responses are above and in pink. Taz, I agree with Chaos. I'm pretty upset that you are up in a low density support thread with all that hair you have! Let me get just a little bit of that so I can have a decent ponytail!!! :lachen:

Sawwy to get you upset, ladies :spinning:. Remember though, my hair used to look like this (and I was natural!):

I want my hair to look like LynneB's as a relaxed head, by the end of the year :lachen:

The Joico Clinicure (I use this on my scalp only), Joico K-Pak, monthly henna and (most important for relaxed heads) is to completely cover the previous relaxed portion with vaseline and neutralizing shampoo are what changed my hair completely around.

Now, I am slithering outta this thread :sekret:

Last edited:

exubah

Checking in..........I have fine and low density hair :nono: I have always had fine and low density hair but never to the extent I am at right now!!! Hope to turn things around this year on my way to a healthy, blunt MBL. Low manipulation, henna + indigo, JBCO and stretching my relaxer will hopefully get me there.

nymane

Sawwy to get you upset, ladies :spinning:. Remember though, my hair used to look like this (and I was natural!):

I want my hair to look like LynneB's as a relaxed head, by the end of the year :lachen:

The Joico Clinicure (I use this on my scalp only), Joico K-Pak, monthly henna and (most important for relaxed heads) is to completely cover the previous relaxed portion with vaseline and neutralizing shampoo are what changed my hair completely around.

Now, I am slithering outta this thread :sekret:

Peeking in to say...WOW that's inspirational Taz

Tolle

Team Fluid
That is me all the way. I have fine and thin hair. I am still struggling with trying to get some thickness. I have been using jbco but I have only seen a slight difference. I don't wear my hair parted because it looks so thin. Its so bad I can't even wear my hair down without adding 2 hair pieces in the front. I texlax my hair 10-12wks, keep my hair jet black, limiting direct heat with rollersetting and I want to buy some Nioxin. I can't take biotin because of breakouts.

I was doing this to. how are you adding the tracks. i was bonding them.... the back of my hair looks great but the front.... OMG! :nono: I posted a thread with pics. so i hope you arent using glue, dont want you ending up :cry3:like me.

mzsophisticated26

I was doing this to. how are you adding the tracks. i was bonding them.... the back of my hair looks great but the front.... OMG! :nono: I posted a thread with pics. so i hope you arent using glue, dont want you ending up :cry3:like me.

Awhile ago I was using the black glue but for the past 7mths I wear skinwefts tracks so I use liquid gold or supertape. The liquid gold is so much better than the black glue but I try to stick with the tape only. I only wear my real hair down maybe once every 2mths just because of the thinning. My halfwigs, buns and banana clips are my bestfriends...lol

purplepeace79

I have less than average density
It has its pros and cons

Pros:

Detangling is a non-issue
Hair stays flat in pulled back styles
Shampooing and conditioning is easier
Time spent doing hair overall is less
Use less product

Cons:
Styling is limited. Certain styles look anorexic (like twists and box braids)
Your hair seems "see thru" at the roots and the ends
Too much scalp showing

I stick with what works for my hair, in terms of products and styling. I dont use heavy products and I avoid styles that show too much scalp. If I want fullness or the appearances of density, I sometimes "tease" my hair. I've come to love my hair as it is, though sometimes I have slight envy of sisters with denser hair. Then I read what they go through with detangling and such, and I'm like yeah, I'm good lol

MsSonya

I have less than average density
It has its pros and cons

Pros:

Detangling is a non-issue
Hair stays flat in pulled back styles
Shampooing and conditioning is easier
Time spent doing hair overall is less
Use less product

Cons:
Styling is limited. Certain styles look anorexic (like twists and box braids)
Your hair seems "see thru" at the roots and the ends
Too much scalp showing

I stick with what works for my hair, in terms of products and styling. I dont use heavy products and I avoid styles that show too much scalp. If I want fullness or the appearances of density, I sometimes "tease" my hair. I've come to love my hair as it is, though sometimes I have slight envy of sisters with denser hair. Then I read what they go through with detangling and such, and I'm like yeah, I'm good lol

Wow, nicely put.:yep: This is exactly what I am going through. It's seems as though working out helps me too, when I do it:blush:.....

Tolle

Team Fluid
Awhile ago I was using the black glue but for the past 7mths I wear skinwefts tracks so I use liquid gold or supertape. The liquid gold is so much better than the black glue but I try to stick with the tape only. I only wear my real hair down maybe once every 2mths just because of the thinning. My halfwigs, buns and banana clips are my bestfriends...lol

ok clue me in. whats that stuff???

Cloefa

My hair is thin just around the crown (right behind my hairline). I think it's hereditary for me b/c my mom can only part her hair in one place without completely exposing her scalp and i have aunts, uncles, and cousins with thinning in the same area. i'm thinking of using dht blocks to combat the thinning. my hair has always been pretty sparse but my crown has thinned significantly after having my son 4 yrs ago.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Here's a thread about panthenol: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=54071
I don't even remember how I found it, but ever since, I've been checking my products for the stuff. I'm also thinking of buying it in liquid/gel form and adding it to my leave ins and oils. So far, I've only found it in my conditioners and in the shescentit coco creme leave in.

And taz, wowww.
Wow, your hair has come such a long way.

Yay, I have so much hope in my heart now. :reddancer:

And Cloefa, my hair is thin in the crown too...I can attach my rollers to my head right up until I get to my crown. Then I have to start attaching them to other rollers, because there's not enough extra hair at my crown that I feel comfortable putting clips in it like that. Have you found anything that helps?

Cloefa

I only air dry my hair and when it's straight, i never flat iron at the roots. bone straight hair does not help hide the thinning at all... i try alternating my parts and the direction i wrap my hair in too and that helps my hair appear thicker because it isn't "trained" to fall in a certain direction.

Victorian

old head
My hair is very fine and somewhat thin. I must be doing a good job styling and taking pics at the right angles, because no one ever wants to believe me :lol:

Things that have helped me are:
* blowdrying my natural hair -- makes my hair appear fuller. Then I control to what extent I flatten with the flat iron. Sometimes I do like the bone straight look, but I just have to be willing to deal with totally flat hair at the end of the week :ohwell:

*Siloxysilicates, also known as MQ silicone resins. They are a specific type of silicone that is known to have bodifying/volumizing effects. I'm currently using Kim Vo Perfect Polish Dry Serum, and the first thing I noticed about it when I first tried it is that my strands felt "pumped up". I looked into the ingredients to try to figure out what was doing that, and that's how I came across articles and patents about the siloxysilicate resins. The one in my serum is *deep breath* trimethysiloxyamodimethicone, in case that helps anyone :lol:

Here's some literature:
from Principles of polymer science and technology in cosmetics and personal care

(pdf) Patent for volumizing hair product formulation using siloxysilicates
There's a number of articles and stuff you can dig up through Google.

*no layers -- Layers are cute when curled properly, but for the styles I do my hair looks better all one length (or at least mostly one length). This has been an ongoing project for me ever since I did the big chop, and then dealt with crown area breakage. I'm getting there slowly but surely :yep:

*no oil -- oil takes the "fluff" out of my hair

mkd

I have very low density. I have tried protein, cassia, castor oil...Now I just accept that my hair probably is not going to get more dense. I think its hereditary. I can relate to every single post in this thread.

apemay1969

Thanks for this thread. Off to search for items with that really long word - that blackcardinal said - in its ingredients...

YankeeCandle

My hair is:

(a) fine (actual strand size and texture)
(b) very low density (lots of scalp shining through) and
(c) hereditarily thinning (mostly in crown but creeping into edges)

Actually, all of these are due to my family/hereditary background. My mother has very fine, low density, and thinning hair; my father has low-density and thinning hair; my paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather both had fine, low-density, and thinning hair. Many uncles and aunts are in the same boat(s). A dermatologist looked at my scalp and told me when I was 16 that the only thing I can do is Rogaine.

I am not happy with "the situation."

Not so deep down, I do not believe that the Jamaican Black Castor Oil, scalp massages, and all the other products and techniques people hype will have any effect on my 3 issues. I know they are programmed into my genes.

So, the best I can do is camoflauge:

1. When my hair (which is 3-ish curls) is 2-3 days out from the last wash, it gains enough puffiness and frizz that, put together, it gives a nice Scary Spice-ish impression of volume and high-density.

2. I do a curly version of a comb-over: I can't get a comb through my hair when it's dry, but I can take the long spirals growing out of my hairline and flip them back over my crown to hide it, fluff them up a bit, and clip them in the back so that they create a bouffant-ish "bump."

As a result of these two strategies, when I state that my hair is actually thin and thinning, people go "You? Oh noooooo. You have SO MUCH HAIR!"

It's nice that they don't believe me and all...but if I lose even a few strategic hairs at my hairline and edges, the scalp of my crown will be exposed once and for all, with nothing to hide under.

I'm sorry I couldn't offer more help!