Low Density Support Thread

apemay1969

What side effects may occur?
Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Aldactone.

Side effects may include:
Abdominal cramps, breast development in males, change in potassium levels (leading to such symptoms as dry mouth, excessive thirst, weak or irregular heartbeat, and muscle pain or cramps), deepening of voice, diarrhea, drowsiness, excessive hairiness, fever, headache, hives, irregular menstruation, kidney problems, lack of coordination, lethargy, liver problems, mental confusion, postmenopausal bleeding, severe allergic reaction, sexual dysfunction, skin eruptions, stomach bleeding, stomach inflammation, ulcers, vomiting
Why should Spironolactone not be prescribed?

You should not take Aldactone if you have kidney disease, an inability to urinate, difficulty urinating, or high potassium levels in your blood.

Okay, so why with all these horrible side effects did I hone in on this one thinking it might boost my rack? :nono:

AtlantaJJ

Good news, I had a moderate shed after stooping the Spiro but it has stopped. :clap: I went at it with with garlic pills, Saw Palmetto, Nettle, Emu oil on my scalp, etc. I've been doing a lot of research on DHT and its effects on the hair follicle and I'm glad to know there are natural ways without side effects to manage DHT.

I also take back what I said about fighting DHT topically (on the scalp), apparently, it's important to treat the scalp too for DHT according to my research.

I'm wigging up for the rest of the winter so I can give my hair a rest and do my scalp treatments without worrying about styling issues. I am so glad I was able to stop a potential hair disaster.

I'm seeing an Endocrinologist next month to see what's really going on with my hormones.

SelfStyled

Good news, I had a moderate shed after stooping the Spiro but it has stopped. :clap: I went at it with with garlic pills, Saw Palmetto, Nettle, Emu oil on my scalp, etc. I've been doing a lot of research on DHT and its effects on the hair follicle and I'm glad to know there are natural ways without side effects to manage DHT.

I also take back what I said about fighting DHT topically (on the scalp), apparently, it's important to treat the scalp too for DHT according to my research.

I'm wigging up for the rest of the winter so I can give my hair a rest and do my scalp treatments without worrying about styling issues. I am so glad I was able to stop a potential hair disaster.

I'm seeing an Endocrinologist next month to see what's really going on with my hormones.

Okay girl, drop the knowledege what topical agents are good at combating DHT on the scalp:scratchch? I made a natural "grease" by liquifying some coconut oil and then I added some emu oil. Once the mixture solidified it was the consistency of grease. I use this a couple of times a week.

Also thanks for sharing your strategery:lachen: on how you came off of the spiro.

IA with you the clinicure scalp remedy sounded good, but after I did a little more research, I was like, why would I want to be putting propylene glycol on my scalp. So farnow I am sticking to my "grease". I think next time I make it, I will add some other healthy scalp ingredients to it as well.

Let us know how your endo visit goes.

Are rocking half wigs or whole wigs?

lisajames96

Low density here! Most people don't think so because I mask it. My density is lowest in the front/top and nape.
This was the reason I went natural because you could see my scalp most of the time when my hair was straight. But even now as a natural, if I put small twists or braids in my hair, you can really tell.
One of my tricks is to add shea butter to my hair when it is wet( fresh after a wash is best for me). Then I put my hair in loose twists and let my hair get about 80% dry. If it's night time, I baggy to keep moisturized, but if I am going out, I take the twists down and style from there. The shea butter just seems to "plump" up my 4ab strains. I am sure there is a more technical reason, but it works for me.
I stay away from gels or anything that separates my hair into coils/curls if I am going to wear it pulled back.
Some people don't care for shea butter, but I think any oil that at room temp is a solid would do for 4abc hair...not sure...

eta: I do "add" a couple of things to my regimen, but I don't think they are acceptable yet to most people, so I don't mention so I can't be blamed if their hair fell out :blush: :nono: ...but these have contributed( i feel) to some thickening and scalp health....no it's not vaginal cream...lol

Last edited:

beans4reezy

Sawwy to get you upset, ladies :spinning:. Remember though, my hair used to look like this (and I was natural!):

I want my hair to look like LynneB's as a relaxed head, by the end of the year :lachen:

The Joico Clinicure (I use this on my scalp only), Joico K-Pak, monthly henna and (most important for relaxed heads) is to completely cover the previous relaxed portion with vaseline and neutralizing shampoo are what changed my hair completely around.

Now, I am slithering outta this thread :sekret:

The increased thickness of your hair is simply amazing. I have been hearing a lot about Joico K Pak. I really need to give this a try!

exubah

I am seeing such a marked difference with my newfound consistent use of JBCO. When I part the front of my hair, which is 99.99% of the time it no longer looks like a highway!!!!

SelfStyled

I am seeing such a marked difference with my newfound consistent use of JBCO. When I part the front of my hair, which is 99.99% of the time it no longer looks like a highway!!!!

How are you using the JBCO Exubah, and how often?

TIA:grin:

MsSonya

:grin: Congrats on the progress. Don't mean to laugh. But I know what you are going through. Hopefully, I can see some progress soon. This reminds me of how much damage I have done to my hair. And that it will take time. :ohwell:

mzsophisticated26

My hair seems to have gotten thinner, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and centrifugal alopecia last year. I stopped using nioxin because it was too drying, I have not used jbco in awhile due to ridiculous shipping prices...lol. I have been using joico body luxe poo and conditioner for about a month and it seems to help a little. I started using minoval for my temples and crown area about 3wks ago. I did my first henna treatment on saturday so I am gonna continue with ayurveda powders to see if I get results. I ordered indigo and cassia too. I will do those treatments on a biweekly basis.

freecurl

Low density fine haired girl checking in. :ohwell:
One of the reasons I went natural was because my relaxed hair looked so anorexic. I had length, but it didn't look voluptuous. I also teased my hair and added pieces to fill in the blanks.
Now, my natural hair can also look anorexic. Nothing I've done has actually made the strands thicker or filled in the blanks, however I've noticed that castor oil is making my hair look fuller.
I've massaged castor oil on my scalp as well as added it full strength to my hair and I've noticed that my hair can get BIG. :grin:
The only thing that I think will work to correct sparse hair would be to address an underlying health issue (if there is one), prescription meds if applicable, improving detangling methods (so as to stop pulling out hair) and/or camouflaging techniques.

Minty

checking in....where's AtlantaJJ! I want her to post on what she's doing now.

I've been experimenting with some topicals. I've used Rolland Oxygenating Drops and MegaTek for my trouble spots (crown/edges) I stopped using the drops because the alcohol was too drying. I tried Nioxin but don't like it, but I can't tell you why....

I'm back on JBCO and a mix w/pomegranate seed oil, cinnamon oil and a few other things, but its too late for me to remember.

I use Nexxus Vitatress shampoo consistently. I definitely like this over Nioxin's #3.

I do take Nioxin vitamins plus another biotin mix, b-complex and a saw palmetto/pygeum supplement daily. I try to take a green supplement *green vibrance and/or chlorella.

My hair is weak, especially along the hairline and crown so the vitamins and scalp oils I hope strengthen the follicles. I hate breakage.

Are any of you doing something different this year?
What worked/didn't work from last year?

Last edited:

Mystic

Sounds exactly like me. My hair is thin at the very front, sides and toward nape. My hair is medium at the back and middle. I started oiling the scalp with castor oil after every wash and will relax every 5 months. I henna also and will be doing everything scalp-wise including massaging to to see if I can increase blood flow to those sparse thin annoying areas:sad:.

That would be me. :wallbash: Dont have any tips or ideas. :sad: Just would like to acknowledge it. I am using castor oil and henna in hopes that my hair will thicken up. And try to increase my protein. Oh and try to relax only 2x a year.

SelfStyled

Are any of you doing something different this year?
What worked/didn't work from last year?

I had GREAT improvements in my front hairline last year. I moisturized daily and "greased" my hairline with an emu oil , JBCO mixture.

Last fall I began shedding excessively, at first I paid it no mind because I chalked it up to changing seasons- but I am STILL shedding:nono:. I am calling my derm this week to see if my bloodwork has changed.

I continue to hair journal with my planner so I know what is working vs. what is not. For 2011 I have started to keep track of my shedding hair- I know that sounds crazy, but.....yeah.

I keep track of how much I loose on wash day, and also what I loose styling, moisturizing, etc until my next wash.

I take a HSN vitamin, garlic, vitamin D and iron daily.

I am feeling very discouraged in my whole hair journey deal.

ETA: One other thing I added for 2011, is I oil my scalp with emu oil, every other day, because it is supposed to be a DHT blocker.

theLovelyStyle

Im also an LDer *sigh*

My head looks a little moppy at the top when I flat iron after a fresh relaxer, plus I think I shed waay too much! My biggest fear is having a scalpy head of long, healthy hair.

I recently developed severe dandruff about 6months ago and have no clue how that happened. I'd get crusty dandruff on my scalp *yuck*. I use head and shoulders and cowash often to combat the dandruff.

I really dont put anything on my scalp, so maybe thats the problem????

Im taking Garlic Pills(1000mg) daily consistently for the last month.
Im also doing the black tea rinses 1-2x week for the past month to help.
Now looking into Garlic shampoo/conditioners too see if that helps.

And ...emu oil...Where do you ladies get this at for the low-low????

Junebug D

For those doing roller sets, I've found that using Caruso steam rollers with minimal product helps with the appearance of fullness. I hope to try henna sometime this year.

SelfStyled

Im also an LDer *sigh*

My head looks a little moppy at the top when I flat iron after a fresh relaxer, plus I think I shed waay too much! My biggest fear is having a scalpy head of long, healthy hair.

I recently developed severe dandruff about 6months ago and have no clue how that happened. I'd get crusty dandruff on my scalp *yuck*. I use head and shoulders and cowash often to combat the dandruff.

I really dont put anything on my scalp, so maybe thats the problem????

Im taking Garlic Pills(1000mg) daily consistently for the last month.
Im also doing the black tea rinses 1-2x week for the past month to help.
Now looking into Garlic shampoo/conditioners too see if that helps.

And ...emu oil...Where do you ladies get this at for the low-low????

I swear I feel like I am always repping this company but check out Camdengrey.com for emu oil. I promise I am not affiliated with them:lachen:

These are their prices
Weight
1 oz. ($5.50)
2 oz. ($9.50)
4 oz. ($16.25)
8 oz. ($27.60)
15 oz. ($49.20)

I don't think these prices are bad compared to what I have seen in the health food stores. Emu lasts a long time, it is very emollient and spreads easily.

Vitacost.com- also has cheep prices on emu

SelfStyled

For those doing roller sets, I've found that using Caruso steam rollers with minimal product helps with the appearance of fullness. I hope to try henna sometime this year.
I wish Caruso's worked for me- my hair gets poofy, cause the ends are underprocessed.

davisbr88

Thanks for creating this thread, OP!
I make my hair appear fuller when straightened by not pressing it stick straight and feathering. If I don't feather, I always but in a few satin rollers and pincurls to get a feathered look with lots of volume and body.
When I twist my hair, I do it on dry hair to get some length, and then hop in the shower and let the steam shrink it up ever so slightly and it makes my hair look fuller.
ETA: I am toying with the idea of henna since I want to use it to color my hair black with indigo but I'm not sure yet. But I definitely have heard it helps with thickness. I'm just not sure I want to do it yet.

ooohhh here I am!!! I have a nerve to have a BIG head with sparse hair. tragic. I have no tips as I am at a loss myself.

I am in the SAME boat except I have a small head but a HUGE forehead, and naturally, my thinnest hair is at the top of my head, so I can barely cover it with bangs or my bangs start at like the crown of my head just so I have enough hair to cover it... lol. Tragic indeed.

Last edited: