low heat/manipulation vs. less DCs. Is the trade off worth it?

jcdlox

Well I did my first 4 weeks of individual braids for the braid challenge and my hair is now waiting for round 2. Since I didn't do my usual 2x weekly protein/moisture DC with Mizani Fulfyl my hair seems extremely soft but not as weighty/strong (if that make sense). Lost what little bit of swing I had and now its just nice soft cotton. I've been using Caruso's since it has no shape otherwise. I'm wondering if the trade off will be worth it to continue the braids 4 weeks on/2 week off as a way to retain length.

In the braids I sprayed daily with JCS leave-in which does wonders on my relaxed hair. On occasion I put Mizani H20 Rose Conditioning Headdress on the braids as well. I shampoo'd and conditioned probably 6 times total and DCd twice with Silk Elements Olive Oil Conditioner.

that's the story... any tips?

loolalooh

I'm confused ... probably because I'm still sleepy.

Um, DC-ing weekly/bi-weekly in braids is fine. I would think continuing to DC 2x a week while in braids would be excessive, hence no real trade off.

Bumpin' for more responses for you ...

jcdlox

sorry if I was confusing. The bottom line is that with my hair in the braids I'm not getting the same level of protein DC so my hair is more on the moisture end of the protein/moisture balance than I'm used to.

loolalooh

sorry if I was confusing. The bottom line is that with my hair in the braids I'm not getting the same level of protein DC so my hair is more on the moisture end of the protein/moisture balance than I'm used to.

Oh okay. Lol. Sorry about that.

I've heard of some people using products, such as Infusium 23 Repairologie or CHI Keratin Mist, to keep their hair strengthened while in braids. That way, since you're not DC-ing w/ protein as often, the protein/moisture balance will remain. You just spritz them on your hair and braids like a leave-in.

HTH!

Nonie

Oh okay. Lol. Sorry about that.

I've heard of some people using products, such as Infusium 23 Repairologie or CHI Keratin Mist, to keep their hair strengthened while in braids. That way, since you're not DC-ing w/ protein as often, the protein/moisture balance will remain. You just spritz them on your hair and braids like a leave-in.

HTH!

:yep: If you don't want to spritz, I believe people use a sponge to apply Infusium to their braids as shown. If you haven't already done so, please check out the braid regimen here.