Low Manipulation Challenge/hangout 2018 (braidouts, Twistouts, Bantu Knot-outs, Rollersets, Etc.)

YvetteWithJoy

On break
To post photos, I click on the "Upload a File" button below. Then I select a photo that I have already reduced by 50% using an photo resizer app.

The forum gives me the option of leaving the photo attached, embedding it as a small thumbnail, or embedding it full size.

HTH!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
View media item 129773
Bottom pic is freshly washed, no product. Top pic is from last fall I think.

ETA: The pic looks like it uploaded weird. Can you see it?

Your hair is dreamy!

How long have you been growing it out?

Your hair isn't fine, is it? ( :cry3: Fine hair woes.)

What's your regimen, and what would you say have been the greatest contributors to your growth and retention?

TIA!

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

Your hair is dreamy!

How long have you been growing it out?

Your hair isn't fine, is it? ( :cry3: Fine hair woes.)

What's your regimen, and what would you say have been the greatest contributors to your growth and retention?

TIA!

I've been natural since 2004/2005. I was BSL by about 2008. I got serious about growing it out around 2011 and it took 5 years to get to full HL. I had a bunch of setbacks and had to cut a few times. I've been maintaining at HL or longer since 2016.

My hair isn't fine except around the edges.

My regimen is to shampoo and DC every two weeks. I style on wash day and don't touch it until my next wash day, except to take out my braids or twists or to put it in a bun. I trim every 3-4 weeks.

I don't do anything special to accelerate my hair growth. For retention, low manipulation has been my thing since I first went natural. I also try to protect my ends (avoid styles that cause SSKs, wear a bonnet or scarf to bed, trim when needed) and use heat sparingly.

Daina

I'm interested in why the recommendation was for you to twist rather than braid, just curious

When I had my phone consultation with Komaza, Jen stated that twists were better because it was closer to the hairs natural curl pattern and less manipulation. Whereas braidouts while not a bad style choice by any means forced the hair into a different pattern and would require more manipulation. At the time of my analysis my hair was damaged and probably around APL and she was giving me options that would be less manipulation. At the time I didn't know how to flat twist or 2 strand twist properly for a decent style. So I went to buns, did braidouts sparingly until I learned how to twist decently. I still occasionally do braidouts but they are more a result of having had my hair in a french braid for a few days and I will wear it out for church versus specifically doing braids for a braidout. Hopefully that makes sense!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Looks good! Is that on wet hair? It actually looks like a WnG!

Thanks for saying so, because it confirms my thinking precisely! :yep: I am SO excited about this discovery: I am getting the wash and go look, but it hardly shrinks as the days pass, and it is VERY tangle-resistant.

Process:
  1. Divide hair into 6 sections (3 sections per half).
  2. Apply watery leave-in of choice.
  3. Squeeze each section with paper towel until as much wetness is removed as possible.
  4. Apply twisting product to section.
  5. Install 2 two-strand twists per section. *** Do NOT twist allllll the way down. Leave a quarter of an inch untwisted. Gently hold the quarter of an inch between your fingers, and otherwise let go of the twist. The twist will begin to slowly spin, creating a curly twirl at the end of the twist because the hair is gently trapped between your fingers. Without letting go of the twist's end, grab a skinny/tiny perm rod (mine are red), and add it to the end of the twist.
  6. Repeat until hair is completely twisted up, for a total of 12 twists.
  7. Dry under dryer or air dry. IMPORTANT: With the Bronner Brothers Firm Hold Curling Gel, I untwisted with hair still ever-so-slightly damp: I was afraid my ends would be cemented together.
Photos of the process. Photos enlarge upon click. These photos are from my Mane Choice Tropical Moringa glaze twist out, but the process is the same.

I had removed the perm rods by then, but I did use them.

IMG_20180403_105619-1224x1632.jpg IMG_20180403_105332-1224x1632.jpg IMG_20180403_110240-1224x1632.jpg IMG_20180403_110137-1224x1632.jpg IMG_20180403_111644-1224x1632.jpg IMG_20180403_112341-1224x1632.jpg

Last edited:

Shavonn

I've found that the more twists (smaller) I do, the better ,y twistout looks and the longer it lasts. I also found a descent moisturizer that I use. My hair's been pretty soft. Finger detangling has been a no-go with my acrylics so I go slow with a Denman brush from end to root. Picking up a steamer so I won't be doing my DC under my heated dryer anymore.

My daughter's currently in braids but when those are out, I'll give her a trim. I tried to get her to wear her twists for a day or two before taking them out but she HATED it. She felt like she looked like a boy. LOL. She wasn't wrong. She's 15 and I know that's not a look she's going for.

yamilee21

I've found that the more twists (smaller) I do, the better my twistout looks and the longer it lasts. ...
I agree with this; my "it's late and I just need to go to sleep" twistout has 5-7 flat twists, and lasts 3 days at most (usually only 2), but when I take the time to make 12+ twists, it will last the entire week until my next wash. Also, with more twists, my hair gets a bit less shrinkage, as well as fewer knots and tangles on the ends.

Daina

Hey ladies, checking in to see what everyone is up to with their low mani styles? I'm out of town and didn't pack my usual products but grabbed CON twisting creme and gel. I have a formal work function tonight so I put in some flat twists for a twist out...hopefully this turns out okay if not I will be in a bun with slayed edges to up the glam factor...Lol! Will take pics if it looks halfway decent.

Daina

Hey ladies, checking in to see what everyone is up to with their low mani styles? I'm out of town and didn't pack my usual products but grabbed CON twisting creme and gel. I have a formal work function tonight so I put in some flat twists for a twist out...hopefully this turns out okay if not I will be in a bun with slayed edges to up the glam factor...Lol! Will take pics if it looks halfway decent.

Not too bad, it will last for tonight but I envision a bun tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20180428_172726-1512x2016.jpg
    20180428_172726-1512x2016.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180428_172759-1512x2016.jpg
    20180428_172759-1512x2016.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 71

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Sorry for not checking in for a little while. I've been in this weave, and I'm getting tired of it, to be honest. I kinda want to take it out.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Sorry I've been MIA. For the most part, I've been doing a wash n go puff, but last week I did two crown braids. Right now, I'm sitting under the dryer with 7 braids in my hair to see if I can make a braidout work for me. Normally, they don't because either my hair takes too long to dry in braids (low porosity) or it just looks stringy.

faithVA

Sorry I've been MIA. For the most part, I've been doing a wash n go puff, but last week I did two crown braids. Right now, I'm sitting under the dryer with 7 braids in my hair to see if I can make a braidout work for me. Normally, they don't because either my hair takes too long to dry in braids (low porosity) or it just looks stringy.
Have you tried doing more braids. It would take longer to install but less drying time. I feel you on the drying time. I tend to stick to twist since it dries a bit faster.

Daina

It's WnG season for me. After having straight hair for 3 weeks gave my hair some TLC this weekend and did a wash and go. My curls popped back no issues and now hopefully I can keep this in for a week. I fell asleep last night on the couch with no bonnet so I need to rehydrate and reform some of the curls tonight. Headed over to the WnG thread to learn some tips to maintain. Trying to alternate between twists/twist-outs and WnG's.

Attachments

• WnG-May_18.jpg
    WnG-May_18.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 33
  • WnG-May_2018_2.jpg
    WnG-May_2018_2.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
My styles have been a failure all weekend :lol: i kept trying to use that damn curl enhancing smoothie knowing full well that it's way too humid for that. I am going to purchase something new tonight, not sure what.