Low Manipulation Challenge/hangout 2018 (braidouts, Twistouts, Bantu Knot-outs, Rollersets, Etc.)

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Have you tried doing more braids. It would take longer to install but less drying time. I feel you on the drying time. I tend to stick to twist since it dries a bit faster.

The braid out was a fail after taking all day to dry. I did bigger braids on one side and smaller ones in the other. The big braids looked better, but wouldn't dry. The smaller braids dried faster, but frizzed like crazy when I tried to take them out because unraveling was hard. I'm going to try twists next time.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
The braid out was a fail after taking all day to dry. I did bigger braids on one side and smaller ones in the other. The big braids looked better, but wouldn't dry. The smaller braids dried faster, but frizzed like crazy when I tried to take them out because unraveling was hard. I'm going to try twists next time.
we are having the same types of issues lately. I don't know what is going on, but every style i have been trying lately is frizzing up :nono: when i look a little closer, however, i realize that i haven't been putting enough effort into styling. my twists the other day were too big for my twistout.

gonna try again tonight with some new cantu products.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm even more committed to low manipulation than I was when I joined this challenge, and I'm cheering us on, ladies! :weird:

I have about 3 months until my next trim, and my goal is to absolutely shock the stylist with how little my ends split. Here is a photo-laden blog post about my professional silk press and trim last week: https://blossomingfitnatural.com/2018/05/18/length-check-trim-and-a-new-to-me-salon/. I want less splitting, and I know I can achieve it. :yep:

To that end, I'm in the process of designing a quicker, super low-manipulation regimen of wearing straight and stretched hair. I discuss it a little in this LHCF post: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...18-to-august-2018.828575/page-5#post-24755415. I'm excited and thoroughly enjoying my hair. :smile:

The best thing about this all is that my wash day should become MUCH shorter, much "lower manipulation" in nature, and have much less of an "under the gun" feeling (as in "you're running out of time!!! you're getting low on time"). Yayyy!!!:woot:

To low manipulation and greater hair health, ladies! Blessings!

:theteam:

Daina

Hi Ladies, checking in! Tonight I converted WnG bun to flat twists for a twist out tomorrow for church. I used wetline for my bun so I just sprayed my hair with water to reactivate the gel, added some Oyin hair dew for moisture, a little EVOO and topped with my SB blend and another swipe of wetline gel. I have about 10 flat twists with a magnetic roller on the end to give more stretch. Will report back tomorrow on how it turned out.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I did a wash n go with the Mielle Organics Pomegranate and Honey leave-in, curl smoothie, and curling custard. It was cute and defined on day 1 when soaking wet. It was fluffy cute most of day 2, but started to frizz towards the end of the day. I'm going to try for day 3, especially since I forgot to take a picture.

FoxxyLocs

I did some twists and a twist out using my wash and go technique. I left in my conditioner in and used my moisturizer on soaking wet hair. I didn't use anything for hold. My hair is so soft! I can't stop touching it. I'm on day 7 and it still feels great. I want to wash it out and do a wash and go but I guess I'll give it anther couple of days.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I did a wash n go with the Mielle Organics Pomegranate and Honey leave-in, curl smoothie, and curling custard. It was cute and defined on day 1 when soaking wet. It was fluffy cute most of day 2, but started to frizz towards the end of the day. I'm going to try for day 3, especially since I forgot to take a picture.
A three day wash and go is awesome :yep:

Daina

Hi Ladies, checking in! Tonight I converted WnG bun to flat twists for a twist out tomorrow for church. I used wetline for my bun so I just sprayed my hair with water to reactivate the gel, added some Oyin hair dew for moisture, a little EVOO and topped with my SB blend and another swipe of wetline gel. I have about 10 flat twists with a magnetic roller on the end to give more stretch. Will report back tomorrow on how it turned out.

Twistout came out really nice for church...it was soft but had lots of definition. I completely forgot to take a picture but tonight I did a scalp massage with Xcel 21 and my CP oil. I followed that up with lightly misting with water and then M&S with Oyin, Vatika oil and my SB blend. I retwisted in larger sections and only have 6 twists. Will wear a twistout tomorrow and Wednesday and then bun till wash day Saturday.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Twistout came out really nice for church...it was soft but had lots of definition. I completely forgot to take a picture but tonight I did a scalp massage with Xcel 21 and my CP oil. I followed that up with lightly misting with water and then M&S with Oyin, Vatika oil and my SB blend. I retwisted in larger sections and only have 6 twists. Will wear a twistout tomorrow and Wednesday and then bun till wash day Saturday.
That routine sounds lovely, I love when I can basically leave my hair alone for almost a week.
I had a really nice braid out for two days and then I got caught in a downpour-the irony is that I just purchased an umbrella the day before and left it at home. So I just slicked it back in a bun for the past few days. I might restyle tonight because I’m chaperoning prom tomorrow so I might as well be cute

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
tonight's routine:
in-shower wash and condition with design essentials almond detangling shampoo and condition with matrix biolage (I had no time to DC)
LOC with TGIN leave-in, mane choice growth oil, and camille rose almond butter (this combo has been the GOAT lately)
i'm now under the dryer with a chunky braid and curl (about 14 braids with flexirods on the ends) that i added some jane carter foam wrap to for hold. i'm going to stay for 20 minutes, and then go to bed to let it dry overnight.

this is the look i'm going for even though her hair is much longer and denser than mine:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
tonight's routine:
in-shower wash and condition with design essentials almond detangling shampoo and condition with matrix biolage (I had no time to DC)
LOC with TGIN leave-in, mane choice growth oil, and camille rose almond butter (this combo has been the GOAT lately)
i'm now under the dryer with a chunky braid and curl (about 14 braids with flexirods on the ends) that i added some jane carter foam wrap to for hold. i'm going to stay for 20 minutes, and then go to bed to let it dry overnight.

this is the look i'm going for even though her hair is much longer and denser than mine:
this came out really nice!! very soft and defined. the only thing that I think i might do later is stretch with just a little bit at the roots with a warm blowdryer. just to give it more "hang."
the moisturizing combo with the jane carter foam wrap was a really good choice. i think i will stick with this for a while.

i hate that i bought those cantu products about two weeks ago. I wanted them to work well because they are so inexpensive, but they really just make my hair feel coated and kinda sticky without really providing any hold. :nono:

Daina

this came out really nice!! very soft and defined. the only thing that I think i might do later is stretch with just a little bit at the roots with a warm blowdryer. just to give it more "hang."
the moisturizing combo with the jane carter foam wrap was a really good choice. i think i will stick with this for a while.

i hate that i bought those cantu products about two weeks ago. I wanted them to work well because they are so inexpensive, but they really just make my hair feel coated and kinda sticky without really providing any hold. :nono:

Sounds great, pics please!

FoxxyLocs

One of the glam twinz has a YouTube video of how to detangle with the Denman brush. You're supposed to hold the brush vertically instead of horizontally. I tried it with my last wash and go, and it worked really well. It was a little awkward at first, but the brush went through my hair easily and I didn't feel like I was pulling my hair out. I finger detangled first and then went back through with the Denman.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy thank you for sharing your update!!! your hair looks gorgeous after the trim :love:
I think straight/stretched styles will definitely get you what you are looking for. keep us updated on what styles you try. :yep:

Awww, thank you! You're so kind! :kiss:

I shared a few more looks at this update post from the Straight Haired Naturals thread: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...s-support-thread.196649/page-75#post-24779711

I'm currently in a new wash and go.
  1. Liquid: water
  2. Leave-in: Jane Carter Solutions Untangle Me Weightless Leave-in
  3. Gel: The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian 24k Gel
I used the Denman D4 brush to define. I liked that process. :up: I dried under a portable hooded dryer with my hair clipped down with crocodile/alligator hair clips for de-bulking purposes. Currently banded in 4 sections (overnight) for elongation.

Next style I want to master -- aside from straightening healthily at home: Naptural85's Bantu knot out.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Getting excited for my wash day today. I plan to shampoo and DC, then do either a braidout with super tiny braids or a small flexirod set. This is going to be a really busy week for me, and I need hair that will last a graduation ceremony, 3 practice 5k runs, cake tasting for my wedding, a field trip....:lol:

Daina

Getting excited for my wash day today. I plan to shampoo and DC, then do either a braidout with super tiny braids or a small flexirod set. This is going to be a really busy week for me, and I need hair that will last a graduation ceremony, 3 practice 5k runs, cake tasting for my wedding, a field trip....:lol:

Very busy week indeed! With a braidout you can always convert to a cute bun or other updo fairly easy once it gets old.

GreenEyedJen

Hey everyone! Long time no see.

My life has been changing a good bit the past couple months and my hair has taken a backseat. I did blow it out about two weeks ago and I’m retaining length, so I’m grateful for that. As far as styling, I’ve been bunning/top knotting using Spin Pins for weeks. I moved to a new state and the humidity here is UNREAL! I can only imagine what it will be like in the throes of summer.

I think I’ll attempt a twist-out next time I wash my hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wiggle:

I'm so proud that I just installed a set of flexirods that you'd think I just solved some kind of important cold case or something. :lachen: :rofl:

I started out trying to do that Bantu knot out from the video I linked above. I could tell it wasn't working. So then I pulled out my wavy curlformers. It was a no. Then I went to my hair tool drawer and saw the flexirods. :yep: I decided to give it a go.

I feel like my technique improved drastically (this is maybe the second time I've tried a flexirod set). I used Lottabody Setting Lotion (the non-professional version). I brushed through each section with a Denman brush (D4), and it went really smoothly.

If it comes out only so-so, no worries: I can just ponytail it. I'm excited to see the results! I think I'm going to sit under my HairFlair blow dryer attachment for 2 hours, and then try my best to sleep in the flexirods overnight.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It looks okay but smells terrible. Like very strong cement rubber. Ugggh.

I will see a brand new potential client today at 4:30. I'd better wash it out. No time to dry a twist out, so puffed wng it is, I guess.

Daina

:wiggle:

I'm so proud that I just installed a set of flexirods that you'd think I just solved some kind of important cold case or something. :lachen: :rofl:

I started out trying to do that Bantu knot out from the video I linked above. I could tell it wasn't working. So then I pulled out my wavy curlformers. It was a no. Then I went to my hair tool drawer and saw the flexirods. :yep: I decided to give it a go.

I feel like my technique improved drastically (this is maybe the second time I've tried a flexirod set). I used Lottabody Setting Lotion (the non-professional version). I brushed through each section with a Denman brush (D4), and it went really smoothly.

If it comes out only so-so, no worries: I can just ponytail it. I'm excited to see the results! I think I'm going to sit under my HairFlair blow dryer attachment for 2 hours, and then try my best to sleep in the flexirods overnight.

How did it turn out?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
How did it turn out?

It looks okay. A little frizz. I ponytailed it. I feel I need larger diameter rods going forward.

I installed 16 rods -- the red ones from Sally's.

I can't handle the smell. I'm getting a headache. I guess it's the Lotta body setting lotion and not the rods causing the smell???

I'll try to snap a picture once I return home. Next time I will use gel over foam (gel to try to reduce frizz), fatter and fewer flexirods, and try her different technique:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
How did it turn out?

I didn't have time to wash before meeting with the client. So I wore the flexirod set in a ponytail all day. I just now took it down to snap a pic. Please excuse the tired face and unrefreshed makeup. I'm exhausted (long day). :smile:

https://blossomingfitnatural.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/img_20180612_191112.jpg

Too many rods, I think, and rods too thin. If I were wearing it down, I would have blended it, of course.

Next time I'll try the method in the video above. :up:

Daina

I didn't have time to wash before meeting with the client. So I wore the flexirod set in a ponytail all day. I just now took it down to snap a pic. Please excuse the tired face and unrefreshed makeup. I'm exhausted (long day). :smile:

https://blossomingfitnatural.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/img_20180612_191112.jpg

Too many rods, I think, and rods too thin. If I were wearing it down, I would have blended it, of course.

Next time I'll try the method in the video above. :up:

Thanks for sharing! I always use bigger sections when I I flexi-rod because my hair will quickly go Shirley Temple if they are too small.