Low manipulation regimens...

Sistaslick

devin said:
sista what did you do to get your hair moisturized again? i have freestyle braids right now, but i know i will need some serious moisture when i take them down. what type of moisturizer did you use and how often? also how long and how often did you deep condition? i think we have similar problems with our hair, b/c my hair craves moisture and can never seem to get enough moisture. it seems i have tried every product in the book. i really looove kenra too and have been using it for months. i am still struggling to find a good leave-in, moisturizer and oil(although i want to try kemi oyl). Thanks!:)

Hmmm, you taking me back . . . waaaay back. . . :lol: Let's see:

The first problem I had was that my hair looked swollen, puffy, and dry. Not a good look. :nono: What I did at the first wash after the color was wash with a neutralizing shampoo (low pH to help close the cuticles) and deep conditioned with Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor (for mild protein) mixed with my CON conditioner/ ATone Botanicals conditioner (moisture) mix for 30 mins with heat. This improved the swollen/puffy look, but the dryness... oh the dryness :cry3:

I normally wash my hair twice a week, deep condition at one of those washes, and condition for 10 mins at the other wash. Well after the color parched my hair like it did, I had to increase the deep conditioning to both weekly washes. I deep conditioned with my Creme of Nature/At One Botanicals mix for 30-45 mins w/ heat twice a week. I moisturized twice a day with ORS olive oil and sealed with Vatika oil. I did not use heat, and I did not wear my hair out- even for braidouts. I treated my hair like it was in the hospital ICU. I will never get over how dry that Dark n Lovely made my hair. :mad:

It took about 3 weeks of this before my hair got right again.

While you are in braids, just make sure you keep them moisturized with a spray type moisturizer or your own water, conditioner,oil spray mix. Those are the best for keeping the moisture balance up and can reach places that creams can't reach. Most braid sprays are moisturizing (african pride/royale)-- and if you have Kenra Daily Provision, it doubles as a leave in spray and spray moisturizer. I love this spray! You can alternate the moisturizing spray with diluted Infusium to give you a protein boost along the way. That way it won't be so bad coming out of the braids. :D

devin

okay cool! i will definitely give this a try. i looove Kenra, so i will have to go a get the spray! Thanks a lot!!:)

Sistaslick said:
Hmmm, you taking me back . . . waaaay back. . . :lol: Let's see:

The first problem I had was that my hair looked swollen, puffy, and dry. Not a good look. :nono: What I did at the first wash after the color was wash with a neutralizing shampoo (low pH to help close the cuticles) and deep conditioned with Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor (for mild protein) mixed with my CON conditioner/ ATone Botanicals conditioner (moisture) mix for 30 mins with heat. This improved the swollen/puffy look, but the dryness... oh the dryness :cry3:

I normally wash my hair twice a week, deep condition at one of those washes, and condition for 10 mins at the other wash. Well after the color parched my hair like it did, I had to increase the deep conditioning to both weekly washes. I deep conditioned with my Creme of Nature/At One Botanicals mix for 30-45 mins w/ heat twice a week. I moisturized twice a day with ORS olive oil and sealed with Vatika oil. I did not use heat, and I did not wear my hair out- even for braidouts. I treated my hair like it was in the hospital ICU. I will never get over how dry that Dark n Lovely made my hair. :mad:

It took about 3 weeks of this before my hair got right again.

While you are in braids, just make sure you keep them moisturized with a spray type moisturizer or your own water, conditioner,oil spray mix. Those are the best for keeping the moisture balance up and can reach places that creams can't reach. Most braid sprays are moisturizing (african pride/royale)-- and if you have Kenra Daily Provision, it doubles as a leave in spray and spray moisturizer. I love this spray! You can alternate the moisturizing spray with diluted Infusium to give you a protein boost along the way. That way it won't be so bad coming out of the braids. :D

plove

sassyhair said:
whew girl, the same ones, you arent gonna redo them? geez louise

I redo the first three rows in the front and in the back.
I don't redo the crown, i just take one braid out a month to see hows it's doing up there. So far my hair is doing well. when something wrong with her she will tell me. She told me she can handle the 7 months and trust in her world.:grin:

MissYocairis

This past week, I have enjoyed washing once and deep conditioning once. Then, doing a braid out style on my wet hair after putting in leave in and MTG and letting it airdry overnight in braids. Then I have worn it in a crinkly bun all week long. Only thing I've done daily has been to add a bit of MTG each day and tie it down each night. I've done a high bun on top of my head and a side bun. The bun is full and shiny and crinkly from the braidout and the MTG oil. It's been fun and a relief cause I just have been lazy. So, I may do this again for the next two weeks as well.

sassyhair

plove said:
I redo the first three rows in the front and in the back.
I don't redo the crown, i just take one braid out a month to see hows it's doing up there. So far my hair is doing well. when something wrong with her she will tell me. She told me she can handle the 7 months and trust in her world.:grin:

O ok that sounds good, but if you were gonna just go without redoin anything that would have look tragic around the edges.

locabouthair

im gonna start wearing a wig. and i want to wash and deep condition once a week. and rebraid on wash day. and moisturize with s curl in the morning and night. and have a healthy diet.

gradygirl

I started washing every 4 days instead of 7, do a twistout and put it in a wavy ponytail everyday except for Saturdays(wear my twistout down) and Sundays(wear a half wig to church). I spray Palmers olive oil spray on my hair each day to keep it moisturized. Thats it

hottopic

Sistaslick said:
It's amazing how different we all are! :yep:

I'm so jealous of y'all going 2 and 3 weeks without washing. :mad: :cry3: I can't even picture going a whole week without something :nono: And 2 weeks without a comb-- my hair would shed and mat to high heaven by wash day.

My scalp is on FIRE and my hair gets really crazy by day 3. I'm one of those folks that thrives off frequent hydration and conditioning. My hair did not start taking off until I started addressing the hydration issue. Other than that, my regimen is pretty simple. I only comb on wash days, moisturize, seal, and bun or set it for a twistout. I wear that for 3 days, wash and start over.

I also do that Chinese bun Rootdeep! Here is a link to the thread of mine: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=75839&highlight=chinese with instructions.

I am unable to view pictures...can you explain?

Isis

Sistaslick said:
It's amazing how different we all are! :yep:

I'm so jealous of y'all going 2 and 3 weeks without washing. :mad: :cry3: I can't even picture going a whole week without something :nono: And 2 weeks without a comb-- my hair would shed and mat to high heaven by wash day.

My scalp is on FIRE and my hair gets really crazy by day 3. I'm one of those folks that thrives off frequent hydration and conditioning. My hair did not start taking off until I started addressing the hydration issue. Other than that, my regimen is pretty simple. I only comb on wash days, moisturize, seal, and bun or set it for a twistout. I wear that for 3 days, wash and start over.

I also do that Chinese bun Rootdeep! Here is a link to the thread of mine: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=75839&highlight=chinese with instructions.
Same here. I too would love to wash every 2 weeks without combing and still have hair that looks good every day and stays healthy and moisturized. :yep: Even before LHCF I washed 1x each week and when I discovered LHCF, I realized how much my hair thrived when I started washing 2 x each week.