Low Porosity Support Thread

Rastafarai

Bump. How are you ladies doing? Any changes in your regimen or new product finds that have been a hit for your hair?

I think I have found my holy grail products but sometimes the PJ in me wants to try something new :p. But for now I'm trying to maintain my hair's health in hopes of reaching my goal length. :)

aharri23

What products have you found @Rastafarai

The key for me has been keeping product buildup off my hair and that's done by using sulfate shampoo weekly. That has made a huge difference in my hair's ability to accept moisture.

Thanks for sharing, I may start using a sulfate shampoo even though I don't use silicones just to get my hair cleaner. I've been using sulfate free shampoos for a while now.

nysister

So far so good. I use my slight deviation of the MHM mixture once a week, and put KCCC as well as some Africa's Best pomade on it and not only do I not have knots anymore, but it's softer than before (and it was pretty soft) and it's growing and looks lush.

Rastafarai

What products have you found @Rastafarai

The key for me has been keeping product buildup off my hair and that's done by using sulfate shampoo weekly. That has made a huge difference in my hair's ability to accept moisture.

Jakeala Nappy Butter is now my hair's best friend. It does wonders. My hair is so soft, elastic and shiny after use. I also get similar results with Natty Naturals Nappy Creme.

Glad you found out what shampoo best works for your hair! Product buildup was also an issue for me but sulfates dried my hair out. I currently use Aubrey Organics GPB Balancing Protein Shampoo to help strip my buildup and clean my scalp.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Sulfate free shampoo is still working for me. I use and like, Shea Moisture Deep Cleansing and Neutrogena T/Sal shampoo. I wash once or twice a week.

My new favorite DC/leave in is Sally Beauty's GVP Conditioning Balm. It absorbs well despite being heavy.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Sulfate free shampoo is still working for me. I use Aubrey Organics White Camellia or Ultra Funky's Daughter shampoo. If I need to clarify or need a chelator, I use Aubrey Organics Swimmer’s Shampoo.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Now that I'm using sulfate shampoo, I rarely have to baggy.

@Nightingale @uofmpanther @Rastafarai @aharri23
I recently located an awesome sulfate free shampoo and I will see how my hair does with using it weekly -- Carol's Daughter Monoi. Otherwise, I love Nexxus Therappe. I also got a Komaza Hair Analysis and that was a game changer, in a good way. I pretty much stay away from products that coat the hair (heavy butters, etc). I rarely struggle with my hair now. *knock on wood*

Smiley79

bumping...how are you LoPo ladies doing? Has any product or technique made a significant difference for your hair these past few months? I took a break from the MHM method but I plan to resume the use of baking soda in my prepoo step. I think the BS played a positive role in opening my hair to receive moisture. And the use of warmer water was helpful as well.

faithVA

I've been doing MHM as well. I did PinkeCube for a while with the baking soda. Then switched to Dubaidee. Realized I didn't need the baking soda or the conditioner. Now I'm trying out Terra Veda Organix line for MHM. So far it is making my hair more manageable when I'm styling.

So I'm just sticking with MHM for now because it is working for me in increasing my moisture levels. Regardless of the method I'm still doing some type of process every 3 to 4 days.

AgeinATL

My hair is doing well. Once I finally figured out the right techniques and products. I minimize buildup, apply products to damp hair, stay away from too much protein, use heat when DCing, and apply products sparingly. My hair stays moisturized for days. It took a while to get here, but now it is smooth sailing.

Rastafarai

Hi ladies! I have a question: does your hair just suck up all the moisture you place on your strands? My understanding is that with our low porosity hair, it's harder for our hair to take in moisture given how closed our hair cuticles and that the best way to open them up is through heat after a deep conditioner.

I ask because in between my washes/DCs, the water-based moisture and oils I put on my hair seems to vanish overnight. My scalp gets dry after two days and if I don't add water-based moisturizer on the scalp it starts to itch. Is this normal for low porosity? My hair seems to suck up all the moisture I give it. Does this response have anything to do with the winter?

AgeinATL

Hi ladies! I have a question: does your hair just suck up all the moisture you place on your strands? My understanding is that with our low porosity hair, it's harder for our hair to take in moisture given how closed our hair cuticles and that the best way to open them up is through heat after a deep conditioner.

I ask because in between my washes/DCs, the water-based moisture and oils I put on my hair seems to vanish overnight. My scalp gets dry after two days and if I don't add water-based moisturizer on the scalp it starts to itch. Is this normal for low porosity? My hair seems to suck up all the moisture I give it. Does this response have anything to do with the winter?

I don't know about your scalp but it sounds like you have high porosity hair issues.

faithVA

My hair is like this. I think the main issue is my scalp is dry and it sucks all of the moisture from my hair strands. It is definitely worse in the winter. For me the only solution is to do a water rinse/cowash every 3 to 4 days to keep my scalp hydrated. When my scalp is hydrated my hair stay hydrated. I found I can't just mist my hair because my scalp pulls the moisture and my hair is dry again. That's my theory of what's going on anyway.

GGsKin

My hair seems to be doing ok. I still use my shower filter (love this thing) and follow a modified MHM, using techniques and steps. However, I don't really use baking soda in my conditioner anymore. I may use it on the odd occasion but it's not really necessary. Making sure my conditoner is diluted and warm/hot seems to work for me just fine.

I don't do cherry lol treatments on myself anymore as they don't make my hair feel as good as when I use a commercial protein conditioner. It was great the first couple of times.

I don't use conditioner every wash either. Sometimes I will just water rinse and then clay (sometimes no clay). As long as I wet my hair at least every 4 days and don't use stylers with protein, my hair tends to be happy.

Rastafarai

My hair is like this. I think the main issue is my scalp is dry and it sucks all of the moisture from my hair strands. It is definitely worse in the winter. For me the only solution is to do a water rinse/cowash every 3 to 4 days to keep my scalp hydrated. When my scalp is hydrated my hair stay hydrated. I found I can't just mist my hair because my scalp pulls the moisture and my hair is dry again. That's my theory of what's going on anyway.

Thank you for this! I definitely know I have low porosity hair after the water test and my hair's love for humectants (glycerin and honey, for example) but can't for the life of me understand why my scalp gets dry so quickly. Your rationale may explain why. I will try and incorporate your approach of doing a water rinse/co-wash once a week or so. Does that mean you do the rinse in your protective style? I usually wear my bantu knots and braid-outs for three weeks at a time. Also, how do you prevent a head cold during the winter after your water rinse/co-wash?

faithVA

Thank you for this! I definitely know I have low porosity hair after the water test and my hair's love for humectants (glycerin and honey, for example) but can't for the life of me understand why my scalp gets dry so quickly. Your rationale may explain why. I will try and incorporate your approach of doing a water rinse/co-wash once a week or so. Does that mean you do the rinse in your protective style? I usually wear my bantu knots and braid-outs for three weeks at a time. Also, how do you prevent a head cold during the winter after your water rinse/co-wash?

The key is to not let it get dry and you will know as you do it more. You will know what the signs are to your scalp starting to get dry. The water rinses only work if you stay ahead of it. Then you will find that you can go longer between them because the scalp is more hydrated and it starts to heal itself.

Yes you can do the rinse in protective styles. I have done it in flat twist. I just redo my style every 3 to 4 days because I found it was just worth it to me. My dry scalp eventually started leading to hair loss.

I'm not susceptible to head colds with wet hair as far as I know. As long as I don't let my body get a chill I don't catch a cold. I found that it is the chill in my body that signals a cold, not having a wet head.

Anaisin

This is how my hair is. My scalp is so dry I washed Friday night and plan to cowash Monday night. Need to cowash every 2-4 days for my hair not to suffer

mzhotniz86

My first post in YEARS lol. I just discovered after doing a few strand tests that I have mostly low porosity relaxed hair, while my middle crown hair is brittle high porosity. I recently discovered my low porosity hair responds well to oyin hair dew. What i did was (one section at a time) spritz some distilled water into my hand put it on the bottom half of my hair, then rubbed on oyin hair dew (working from the bottom up) then sealed w avocado oil. I did this the night before last & my hair ends are still soft & smooth. My ends had been sooo dry lately this is the only thing that has kept them supple for THIS long. They have a shine on them , not scraggly looking like they usually do. Im so happy

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density

I don't water rinse/cowash this often because I don't have time with my work schedule, but I do agree that it is important to keep the scalp hydrated. I keep mine hydrated in between washes by showering without a shower cap. Between the water that gets on my ends, in addition to the steam getting to my scalp, this is usually enough until I can wash again.

faithVA

I don't water rinse/cowash this often because I don't have time with my work schedule, but I do agree that it is important to keep the scalp hydrated. I keep mine hydrated in between washes by showering without a shower cap. Between the water that gets on my ends, in addition to the steam getting to my scalp, this is usually enough until I can wash again.

That's good that you can get enough from that. I haven't showered with a shower cap probably since I was relaxed 10 or more years ago. It was so long ago I can't even remember if I had a shower cap :lol: I've tried steaming in between as well with my handheld steamer and she doesn't care for that either. She is a bit greedy :yep: That usually only gets me an extra day.

tannicfer

Just felt like venting and this seemed like the place. I've been on my hair journey for a few months now and still haven't figured out the hydration thing for low porosity relaxed hair. If I moisturize and seal at night my hair is bone dry and rough feeling by morning. And I've been experience breakage since day one. I'm seeing growth and this wash day the breakage was surprisingly small (but still there!). I can't really tell if my hair needs protein or moisturizer and I've been doubly frustrated that water based moisturizers and leave-ins make my hair puffy and then hard once they dry. So...fun.

On a positive note, I did learn that lotion moisturizers like the Ors Moisturizing Lotion, while easy to apply and gain moisture in the short term, the product build up wasn't worth it. It feels like the first definite thing I can say about what works/doesn't work for my hair in months.

Smiley79

Bumping the thread to read it over again.

Although my natural hair journey has progressed as far as length, I still struggle with moisture. I literally do not know what else to do concerning the dryness of my hair other than to accept that I have dry hair. I have tried steaming, hot oil treatments, GHE method, curly girl method, Max Hydration method, baking soda, acv rinses, and so on. My hair feels great when I DC/Cowash but my styling options are extremely limited once my hair is wet. So I'm just a little exhausted with my quest for moisturized hair. Is anyone still struggling with hair moisture. Just had to vent.

(The methods that I mentioned above have been over the span of the last few years, not all at once or back to back)

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags

Although my natural hair journey has progressed as far as length, I still struggle with moisture. I literally do not know what else to do concerning the dryness of my hair other than to accept that I have dry hair. I have tried steaming, hot oil treatments, GHE method, curly girl method, Max Hydration method, baking soda, acv rinses, and so on. My hair feels great when I DC/Cowash but my styling options are extremely limited once my hair is wet. So I'm just a little exhausted with my quest for moisturized hair. Is anyone still struggling with hair moisture. Just had to vent.

(The methods that I mentioned above have been over the span of the last few years, not all at once or back to back)
Are you checking the ingredients of your products? Are you sealing?

Ever heard of Abena(?) (Embrace Your Natural Beauty https://www.youtube.com/user/EmbraceNaturalBeauti/videos)? She is a licensed cosmetologist who posts videos and has periscope sessions every Saturday @ 8PM. Her focus is low porosity hair. She's also on Instagram. Her tips have helped me.

faithVA

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues. For my hair I've just accepted that I have to rinse every 3 to 4 days and its not really going to be that moisturized.

I have found that moisture has to build up in my hair over time. For example if I wear twist, if I spritz my hair with a moisturizing product over a period of a week or two it's moisturized but I haven't found a way to get that in one application.

If you feel like it share your current regimen and maybe there is someone on the board now that can provide some feedback.

Definitely check out the videos mentioned in the previous post.

Your hair seems long enough why are you having styling challengez.?

Smiley79

Are you checking the ingredients of your products? Are you sealing?

Ever heard of Abena(?) (Embrace Your Natural Beauty https://www.youtube.com/user/EmbraceNaturalBeauti/videos)? She is a licensed cosmetologist who posts videos and has periscope sessions every Saturday @ 8PM. Her focus is low porosity hair. She's also on Instagram. Her tips have helped me.

Thanks @nothidden I will check out that link. And Yes, since I've been a member on this board I've been on the Ingredients roller coaster; Cone-free, mineral oil free, petroleum, I've eliminated certain oils. The Max Hydration method was okay, I had moments when I thought I hit the jackpot but it wasn't practical for me long term and my best results came when I used baking soda, but how could I depend on that week after week. While using that method, I also noticed that although my hair was more hydrated, it became limp. Thereafter I started to amp up my protein so I could revive my hair to a happy medium.
I took a break for any "methods" and "strict regimens" for many months now and opted for biweekly hair care and protective styling (wigs) because I just wanted to take a break from "trying anything". I was burnt out, lol. So I enjoyed the last 6+ month of doing nothing fancy. But what always frustrates me is having really soft and moisturized hair up until it air dries. Then it returns back to brillo pad. I only enjoy soft hydrated hair when it's running under the water. Thinking back though, I do recall S-curl being very moisturizing for my hair but then I ran into the same problem of limited styling options...buns or puffs. Sorry if I'm rambling but I'm trying to lay out everything as I remember them.

Smiley79

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues. For my hair I've just accepted that I have to rinse every 3 to 4 days and its not really going to be that moisturized.

I have found that moisture has to build up in my hair over time. For example if I wear twist, if I spritz my hair with a moisturizing product over a period of a week or two it's moisturized but I haven't found a way to get that in one application.

If you feel like it share your current regimen and maybe there is someone on the board now that can provide some feedback.

Definitely check out the videos mentioned in the previous post.

Your hair seems long enough why are you having styling challengez.?

Thanks @faithVA, girl I feel like you been there with me every step of the Moisture journey.

Regimen when I go to my local Natural hair salon
Clarify
Steam treatment with Garlic Conditioner
Leave in
Jumbo twist to air dry

Regimen at home (Every 1 to 2 weeks)
Poo (Giovani Direct TT poo)
Alter Ego Garlic conditioner (focus on scalp per directions)
DC (CB Smoothe or Mielle Ornanics Barbassou)
Leave In- Alikay Natural Lemongrass (just finished bottle so need a leave in)
Air dry my hair in 4-5 big braids

Oils that I use: JBCO for edges; coconut oil for ends and sealing; I've used hair grease sometimes too
Spray bottle: water and conditoner to refresh my hair morning and night

@faithVA In answer to your question about styling...my hair never holds curls, twists and braid outs. It just frizzes in to a ball. For example, the picture in my AVI is when I take down my twists, walk on the door and by mid morning, my hair look like a frizz ball. Also, my hair not respond to wash and go styles or get defined by gel. So I stopped complaining and I accpeted this a long time ago and just opt for buns. I wish I could do more because with the alopecia, you are encouraged to limit pulling our hair so often. This is why I was in the wig challenge for so long to give my hair a break from buns. But now that I'm leaning more towards wearing wigs less often because I miss my hair, I'm really motivated to see if I can give this moisture challenge another shot.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Thanks @nothidden I will check out that link. And Yes, since I've been a member on this board I've been on the Ingredients roller coaster; Cone-free, mineral oil free, petroleum, I've eliminated certain oils. The Max Hydration method was okay, I had moments when I thought I hit the jackpot but it wasn't practical for me long term and my best results came when I used baking soda, but how could I depend on that week after week. While using that method, I also noticed that although my hair was more hydrated, it became limp. Thereafter I started to amp up my protein so I could revive my hair to a happy medium.
I took a break for any "methods" and "strict regimens" for many months now and opted for biweekly hair care and protective styling (wigs) because I just wanted to take a break from "trying anything". I was burnt out, lol. So I enjoyed the last 6+ month of doing nothing fancy. But what always frustrates me is having really soft and moisturized hair up until it air dries. Then it returns back to brillo pad. I only enjoy soft hydrated hair when it's running under the water. Thinking back though, I do recall S-curl being very moisturizing for my hair but then I ran into the same problem of limited styling options...buns or puffs. Sorry if I'm rambling but I'm trying to lay out everything as I remember them.
Ever consider getting a hair analysis? My hair used to feel like a brillo pad too, but not anymore. After the gel cast breaks, my hair is soft, and sometimes before wash day I feel like I don't even need to moisturize.

Maybe you have product build up blocking moisture. And like @faithVA mentioned, maybe you need to re-style (cleanse, condition, style) more often until your moisture levels build up.

One more thing, do you only wash your hair under a filtered faucet or shower head? Made a HUGE difference in my hair...HUGE.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie

The one thing that I learned about my hair until i have built up enough moisture , I must let my hair air dry with a very moisturizing leave in in twists, when the hair is 95% dry/damp, I re-twist the hair into smaller twists with the same leave in.

When my moisture protein balance is out of whack, there is no way I can go from wash day to completely soft hair the next day, unless its hot outside and I'm using humectant laden products.