Low Porosity Support Thread

beingofserenity

Girl. I recently used red palm oil and it was AMAZING. I got some organic kind off amazon. I read it normally stinks but this didn't. To me this is even less greasy then babassu oil and the Marula oil. My hair is soft and fluffy and not greasy. I didn't even need to wash my hands after applying it to my hair! Check it out when you can and if you do let me know what you think. That's if you already haven't. I only used it on my hair because I'm doing the terressentials mud detox that said to use nothing but natural oils on your hair while detoxing . I picked this oil because it said that it actually penetrated the hair shaft . I'm so ordering more of it

We eat palm oil. It's so messy. Is the kind you have unrefined?

faithVA

Girl. I recently used red palm oil and it was AMAZING. I got some organic kind off amazon. I read it normally stinks but this didn't. To me this is even less greasy then babassu oil and the Marula oil. My hair is soft and fluffy and not greasy. I didn't even need to wash my hands after applying it to my hair! Check it out when you can and if you do let me know what you think. That's if you already haven't. I only used it on my hair because I'm doing the terressentials mud detox that said to use nothing but natural oils on your hair while detoxing . I picked this oil because it said that it actually penetrated the hair shaft . I'm so ordering more of it
Do you know why we need oils to penetrate the hair shafts. Just curious.

sparkle25

Do you know why we need oils to penetrate the hair shafts. Just curious.
For me because of the low porosity, heavier oils just sit on top of my hair and make it feel greasy. I get no benefits from them at all and that's why so many oil and butter heavy products do nothing for my hair but make it crispy and greasy. It honestly saves me from being too much of a product junkie. I know most things won't work so I don't try them and when I do...they don't work lol. I read even coconut oil is too heavy for low po girls and so to get benefits of the oils they need to be able to penetrate. Well the information I read turned out to be right for me because all the penetrating oils I have tried did truly sink into my hair.

Evolving78

I've found that for me, using too much product tends to cause my hair to dry hard. I used Kanechom acai mask today and it left my hair ridiculously soft. I used Sauve conditioner and LA Looks gel in my hair and let it air dry. It took forever to air dry and was still wet in the back by night. I was too lazy to bun my hair like normal so I wrapped it in a towel which ended up removing all of the excess product and took the crunch right out of my hair. Interestingly enough, I actually used way less product than normal and still this happened. At least now I know my heavy handedness is the problem. I have to drill it into my head that excess product will not soften my hair but do the opposite. I'm going to look for lighter leave in products when I go to Target this weekend. I'm tempted to try using just a serum for my wash and goes. At the very least, I will need to use way less conditioner and gel.
This is why I wash my hair a lot. Even when I was natural. Too much product creates a barrier for my hair strands. Nothing can get in, or out.

faithVA

This is why I wash my hair a lot. Even when I was natural. Too much product creates a barrier for my hair strands. Nothing can get in, or out.
This has been my problem. I have found much lighter products and sometime I may just use one product.

If I go a week I will lier light products. If I'm doing a midweek wash I can get by with a leave, a gel or a leavein and a styler.

Sometimes even deep conditioning is too much product for my hair.

Evolving78

This has been my problem. I have found much lighter products and sometime I may just use one product.

If I go a week I will lier light products. If I'm doing a midweek wash I can get by with a leave, a gel or a leavein and a styler.

Sometimes even deep conditioning is too much product for my hair.
I have that issue with deep conditioners too. Some are just too thick, or have certain ingredients that weight my hair down and leave it greasy.

Need2gro

I have that issue with deep conditioners too. Some are just too thick, or have certain ingredients that weight my hair down and leave it greasy.
Have you tried TGIN honey hair miracle mask? It is the ISH! for my hair. And believe me when I say that I've tried every other conditioner out there. They all just sit on my hair, but this melts into my strands. I was skeptical about using it initially coz of the price. But a container has lasted me about 4 deep conditions so far, a little goes a long way.

Evolving78

Have you tried TGIN honey hair miracle mask? It is the ISH! for my hair. And believe me when I say that I've tried every other conditioner out there. They all just sit on my hair, but this melts into my strands. I was skeptical about using it initially coz of the price. But a container has lasted me about 4 deep conditions so far, a little goes a long way.
No I haven't! Now I gotta run out and get it! I'm not suppose to buy anything! Lol

sparkle25

This has been the biggest waste of money I have ever spent in my entire life and hair journey. They told me NOTHING I didn't already know or already do. NOTHING. It was as if they took the questionnaire I sent in and copied that back to me and added some pictures. I'm so upset I can't stop crying.

sparkle25

What happened?
Ok I take it back. I've talked to her more now and I'm feeling a lot better. I was just upset because the analysis told me that my hair has extensive breakage and culprit is my low porosity hair. They said not to use products with tons of oils because they will just sit on top of my hair and cause build up which will lead to more breakage. I already knew that because of you ladies. If you look over my profile every single post is about my hair not liking oils, not absorbing products, my hair constantly breaking and nothing ever helping. That's the story of my life on here over and over and over for 10 years straight. I got the analysis out of desperation. My hair grows like weeds but it doesn't matter because it's always breaking. Well I finally bit the bullet and got the analysis and it just confirmed everything you guys have already taught me about my hair.

They offered no solutions except for things in already doing. It was just crushing to hear that my hair is basically hopeless,

She did say that a lot of people with African hair textures think their hair is low porosity but it's not. She said low porosity hair is rare with our texture. And said that out of all the hair analysis's she has done, she has only seen true low porosity hair with me and ONE other person. Aren't I lucky. Dreams really do come true.

blackeyes31626

Ok I take it back. I've talked to her more now and I'm feeling a lot better. I was just upset because the analysis told me that my hair has extensive breakage and culprit is my low porosity hair. They said not to use products with tons of oils because they will just sit on top of my hair and cause build up which will lead to more breakage. I already knew that because of you ladies. If you look over my profile every single post is about my hair not liking oils, not absorbing products, my hair constantly breaking and nothing ever helping. That's the story of my life on here over and over and over for 10 years straight. I got the analysis out of desperation. My hair grows like weeds but it doesn't matter because it's always breaking. Well I finally bit the bullet and got the analysis and it just confirmed everything you guys have already taught me about my hair.

They offered no solutions except for things in already doing. It was just crushing to hear that my hair is basically hopeless,

She did say that a lot of people with African hair textures think their hair is low porosity but it's not. She said low porosity hair is rare with our texture. And said that out of all the hair analysis's she has done, she has only seen true low porosity hair with me and ONE other person. Aren't I lucky. Dreams really do come true.
Girl it'll be ok. I've struggled with my hair for a very long time too.
Did Komaza Care do your hair analysis? I've never heard that lopo was rare with "African hair textures".

sparkle25

Girl it'll be ok. I've struggled with my hair for a very long time too.
Did Komaza Care do your hair analysis? I've never heard that lopo was rare with "African hair textures".

Yes, girl it was Komaza. That's what she said. She used the word uncommon, not rare though. She said she's only seen one other person with true low porosity hair. Maybe that was just her though, they have other people that do these analysis too I think.

After a few more emails she said to put conditioner on my hair before and after shampooing. Then she said to use things with bamboo and rhodiola in them and to use baking soda to open my hair cuticle before using a DC. She said to use gentle heat or steam which I've been doing in the last few months...ill make sure I continue to do so from now on.

She said she's going to consult with the others and get back to me with more info. But basically my problem is extensive breakage due to extreme dryness caused by low porosity hair. My hair is extremely fragile but can't use protein either. Just feeling so hopeless. Sorry for sounding whinny

Evolving78

@sparkle25
Don't feel hopeless.
You will have to do some trimming and it will take time for your hair to turn around.
In the meantime, instead of using baking soda, you can use Castile soap (a teaspoonful) and mix it in a cup of bowl with your conditioner. (Strictly Moisturizing shampoo, no protein) dc with that for 15-30 mins. That helped me a lot when I was dealing with protein overload.
With low po hair, you have to really focus on the hydration part of your regimen. Properly removing buildup from your hair and deep conditioning. hair needs water, but stuff has to be removed in order to receive it.
My hair can handle up to 3-5 days before I have to wash my hair again.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Idk about that LoPo bit @sparkle25 because 4A hair apparently has the highest likelihood of being LoPo.

Most of us avoids oils. I used to and still can. I solely use HBCO and I have to let shampoo "sit" on hair to let it clean. After I rinse out everything, my hair feels like plastic.

Baking soda does work. I've used it. Clay may help as well. I've used Castile, but it caused build up for me. Clarifiers work for me too, but the trick is to not let them sit on your hair.

sparkle25

Idk about that LoPo bit @sparkle25 because 4A hair apparently has the highest likelihood of being LoPo.

Most of us avoids oils. I used to and still can. I solely use HBCO and I have to let shampoo "sit" on hair to let it clean. After I rinse out everything, my hair feels like plastic.

Baking soda does work. I've used it. Clay may help as well. I've used Castile, but it caused build up for me. Clarifiers work for me too, but the trick is to not let them sit on your hair.
Yeah I don't know that's just what she said about doing her analysis's. That I'm only the second she has ran across. She didn't say anything about the hair type she just said it was low porosity, extremely dry and lots of breakage due to the dryness from the Lopo. She said the stands were medium thick and that's all she said as far as hair type.

What is HBCO

So you let shampoos sit on your hair but not clarifying shampoos? What about bar soaps? I read they are good for Lopo. She said look for a ph of 6 for a shampoo.

Rastafarai

@sparkle25 do you use any hair vitamins? And do you exfoliate your scalp? I was under the impression breakage can be caused by two main culprits: excessive heat or dryness. If your hair isn't absorbing moisture that may be the culprit to your breakage. Breakage can also be caused by a clogged scalp if nutrients aren't able to penetrate to help strengthen your strands.

Do you deep condition with heat at all times? What conditioners do you use? I see that you're in Melbourne, Australia. I know proper care of our hair may be tough out there, especially finding the right products.

I strongly recommend going to get an analysis of your scalp. Healthy, strong hair begins with the scalp. I found one place that does hair scalp analysis in Chadstone, Victoria, if you're interested:

http://www.101.com.au/why-us

This is just a suggestion to rule out culprits behind your breakage.

sparkle25

@sparkle25 do you use any hair vitamins? And do you exfoliate your scalp? I was under the impression breakage can be caused by two main culprits: excessive heat or dryness. If your hair isn't absorbing moisture that may be the culprit to your breakage. Breakage can also be caused by a clogged scalp if nutrients aren't able to penetrate to help strengthen your strands.

Do you deep condition with heat at all times? What conditioners do you use? I see that you're in Melbourne, Australia. I know proper care of our hair may be tough out there, especially finding the right products.

I strongly recommend going to get an analysis of your scalp. Healthy, strong hair begins with the scalp. I found one place that does hair scalp analysis in Chadstone, Victoria, if you're interested:

http://www.101.com.au/why-us

This is just a suggestion to rule out culprits behind your breakage.

Awww you're so sweet.

I'm American married to an Aussie and travel back to the USA very frequently. I get all my products from home.

The culprit for my hair breakage is definitely dryness. I deep condition with a variety of things and the only one I use now that has protein is one from serentis bath body and you. The protein in it is silk powder and I haven't noticed any negatives from it. My hair loves it. I do deep condition with heat. Deep conditioning is the easiest part of my regimen. Over the years my holy grail has been the Jessicurl weekly deep treatment. Nothing else other than that and the serentis has wowed my hair.

My main problem is finding a leave in that won't leave my hair greasy. The only thing that truly moisturizes my hair is qhemet viol ticks burdock root, and that still leaves my hair greasy but it's the best I've been able to find over all these things.

I need strength in my hair but can't use protein. She said to find some products that have a ph balance of at least 6 and to find something with bamboo and/or rhodiola So im looking for something with those things in it that doesn't have cones or protein

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Yeah I don't know that's just what she said about doing her analysis's. That I'm only the second she has ran across. She didn't say anything about the hair type she just said it was low porosity, extremely dry and lots of breakage due to the dryness from the Lopo. She said the stands were medium thick and that's all she said as far as hair type.

What is HBCO

So you let shampoos sit on your hair but not clarifying shampoos? What about bar soaps? I read they are good for Lopo. She said look for a ph of 6 for a shampoo.

I'm questioning her LoPo bit. Who is to say most hair she has come across is just damaged?

Anyway, I can see the damage part because you can damage your own hair without knowing. I damaged mine long ago from too much moisture. I do strand test weekly to determine what i need.

HBCO is Haitian Black Castor Oil. It's not oily for me. Thick, yes, but it doesn't harden on my hair or have any ill effects on my hair.

So, I have two poos: Redken Cleansing Cream and Shea Moisture JBCO.

The Redken is a strong clarifier. I use to deep clean every 8 weeks by letting it sit on for about 1-2 minutes and every 4-5 weeks to clean my scalp and get rid of buildup by scrubbing my scalp first then running the poo down once and rinse immediately. My hair will feel rough and get a tad tangled, but will soak up conditioner much better.

The SM is a lighter clarifier. If I let it sit, it will tangle too, but get rid of a bit more build up. But it's still light and contains shea butter, so it's not getting rid of that much. If I don't let it sit, it just won't tangle up as much but still clean.

I've used shampoo bars successfully but they eventually leave buildup. Like a grime. This was in the past. Eventually, you will have to clarify, but I would recommend trying a shampoo bar.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Also @sparkle25 be careful with using heat to deep condition. Too much will dry out your hair. I learned that the hard way as well.

I started deep conditioning while sitting in a hot bath and it's been working for me.

I tried steam, heat cap, hooded dryer, overnight (terrible idea) and running errands (with a cholesterol cap, not too bad). I try not to run errands if I don't have to because it can cause over conditioning and dry out your hair too.

gemruby41

Also @sparkle25 be careful with using heat to deep condition. Too much will dry out your hair. I learned that the hard way as well.

I started deep conditioning while sitting in a hot bath and it's been working for me.

I tried steam, heat cap, hooded dryer, overnight (terrible idea) and running errands (with a cholesterol cap, not too bad). I try not to run errands if I don't have to because it can cause over conditioning and dry out your hair too.
How long do you deep condition?

sparkle25

I'm questioning her LoPo bit. Who is to say most hair she has come across is just damaged?

Anyway, I can see the damage part because you can damage your own hair without knowing. I damaged mine long ago from too much moisture. I do strand test weekly to determine what i need.

HBCO is Haitian Black Castor Oil. It's not oily for me. Thick, yes, but it doesn't harden on my hair or have any ill effects on my hair.

So, I have two poos: Redken Cleansing Cream and Shea Moisture JBCO.

The Redken is a strong clarifier. I use to deep clean every 8 weeks by letting it sit on for about 1-2 minutes and every 4-5 weeks to clean my scalp and get rid of buildup by scrubbing my scalp first then running the poo down once and rinse immediately. My hair will feel rough and get a tad tangled, but will soak up conditioner much better.

The SM is a lighter clarifier. If I let it sit, it will tangle too, but get rid of a bit more build up. But it's still light and contains shea butter, so it's not getting rid of that much. If I don't let it sit, it just won't tangle up as much but still clean.

I've used shampoo bars successfully but they eventually leave buildup. Like a grime. This was in the past. Eventually, you will have to clarify, but I would recommend trying a shampoo bar.

Ok thanks for that,

I think I'm going to try the baking soda thing too. How do you use it?

She said to start with 1/8 a teaspoon, dissolve it into warm water and poor over my head then use a conditioner.

I'm a little confused because she also said to apply conditioner on to my hair before I shampoo and after. What would be the purpose of using it before if my cuticles are super closed anyways?

Then I usually don't use rinse out conditioner. I just wash and DC with a heat cap usually for an hour and then I'll rinse it out whenever. And I usually DC on dry hair too because I figured that if my hair is full of water, then the nutrients from the DC won't get in there and do its job.

If I put the baking soda mix on my hair after I wash it, that would open my cuticles up, but then if I let my hair dry before putting DC on it, wouldn't the cuticles be closed by the time I apply the DC? I'm just thing to figure out how to implement this baking soda in my plan. Today is wash day so I'm not really sure what to do

Evolving78

Ok thanks for that,

I think I'm going to try the baking soda thing too. How do you use it?

She said to start with 1/8 a teaspoon, dissolve it into warm water and poor over my head then use a conditioner.

I'm a little confused because she also said to apply conditioner on to my hair before I shampoo and after. What would be the purpose of using it before if my cuticles are super closed anyways?

Then I usually don't use rinse out conditioner. I just wash and DC with a heat cap usually for an hour and then I'll rinse it out whenever. And I usually DC on dry hair too because I figured that if my hair is full of water, then the nutrients from the DC won't get in there and do its job.

If I put the baking soda mix on my hair after I wash it, that would open my cuticles up, but then if I let my hair dry before putting DC on it, wouldn't the cuticles be closed by the time I apply the DC? I'm just thing to figure out how to implement this baking soda in my plan. Today is wash day so I'm not really sure what to do
I would skip the dc before, and wash your hair first. After that, use your deep conditioner and leave in on for no longer than 30 mins. Rinse with warm/cool water. See this is why it's good to state everything that you are doing.
I believe you need a Moisturizing sulfate shampoo, then follow with a Moisturizing non sulfate.

See I don't do that mixing stuff.
I find products that have ph levels displayed so I don't have to play chemist with my products.
You need a find shampoo with a level 6 and find a conditioner with a 4.5 or 5. I also recommend you shampoo one day with the sulfate and non sulfate, then another day during the week, you use a non sulfate. You need to deep conditioning during both of these sessions. Do this until your get your breakage dryness under control.

You have to remove buildup with the shampoo! The shampoo removes buildup, has a ph level of 6 that will help the cuticles to receive and allow the conditioner to penetrate better. No more deep conditioning on dry hair and leaving it on. You towel dry your hair first to remove access water.

sparkle25

I would skip the dc before, and wash your hair first. After that, use your deep conditioner and leave in on for no longer than 30 mins. Rinse with warm/cool water. See this is why it's good to state everything that you are doing.
I believe you need a Moisturizing sulfate shampoo, then follow with a Moisturizing non sulfate.

See I don't do that mixing stuff.
I find products that have ph levels displayed so I don't have to play chemist with my products.
You need a find shampoo with a level 6 and find a conditioner with a 4.5 or 5. I also recommend you shampoo one day with the sulfate and non sulfate, then another day during the week, you use a non sulfate. You need to deep conditioning during both of these sessions. Do this until your get your breakage dryness under control.

You have to remove buildup with the shampoo! The shampoo removes buildup, has a ph level of 6 that will help the cuticles to receive and allow the conditioner to penetrate better. No more deep conditioning on dry hair and leaving it on. You towel dry your hair first to remove access water.
Thanks

I already wash my hair regularly...some times once a week and sometimes twice a week....and I do already rotate between a sulfate shampoo and a sulfate free shampoo. All shampoos make my hair dry so I've never been a strictly no sulphate girl. I do keep searching online for a shampoo with a ph of 6 and no products pop up, I just keep getting blogs and hair forum threads

I will try DCing on damp hair now tho....thank you :)