Low Porosity Support Thread

Evolving78

Thanks

I already wash my hair regularly...some times once a week and sometimes twice a week....and I do already rotate between a sulfate shampoo and a sulfate free shampoo. All shampoos make my hair dry so I've never been a strictly no sulphate girl. I do keep searching online for a shampoo with a ph of 6 and no products pop up, I just keep getting blogs and hair forum threads

I will try DCing on damp hair now tho....thank you :)
I use Keracare 1st lather and the hydrating shampoo and I use 3 different design Essentials shampoos. I use oat protein, honey retention, and the avocado one. The first two are sulfates. The Oat Protein is a deep cleanser and it is volumizing. The second one is strictly Moisturizing. The third is a non sulfate and is a detangling shampoo. You might want to check out Purelogy as well and Kenra.

sparkle25

I use Keracare 1st lather and the hydrating shampoo and I use 3 different design Essentials shampoos. I use oat protein, honey retention, and the avocado one. The first two are sulfates. The Oat Protein is a deep cleanser and it is volumizing. The second one is strictly Moisturizing. The third is a non sulfate and is a detangling shampoo. You might want to check out Purelogy as well and Kenra.
Thanks again :) I found a huge list. I'll post for anyone who may be looking in the future : http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/02/ph-of-shampoo-ultimate-list.html

sparkle25

I just note that what doesn't work for some, may work for others. I deep condition overnight before shampooing, and it works great for me. It works better than doing the DC after. I just use regular conditioner after.
Yeah I deep condition over night and for long periods of time and it's the only thing that makes my hair feel great. I am going to try DCing on damp hair though to see if that makes a difference.

She didn't say to do DC before shampooing though she said to just get my hair wet and apply conditioner before shampooing. Then she said to use 1/8 a teaspoon of baking soda before applying conditioner after I shampoo. But I wonder if I use a shampoo with a ph balance of 6 and also use the baking soda before I apply the DC if that would be too much? I don't want to damage my hair even further.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Awww you're so sweet.

I'm American married to an Aussie and travel back to the USA very frequently. I get all my products from home.

The culprit for my hair breakage is definitely dryness. I deep condition with a variety of things and the only one I use now that has protein is one from serentis bath body and you. The protein in it is silk powder and I haven't noticed any negatives from it. My hair loves it. I do deep condition with heat. Deep conditioning is the easiest part of my regimen. Over the years my holy grail has been the Jessicurl weekly deep treatment. Nothing else other than that and the serentis has wowed my hair.

My main problem is finding a leave in that won't leave my hair greasy. The only thing that truly moisturizes my hair is qhemet viol ticks burdock root, and that still leaves my hair greasy but it's the best I've been able to find over all these things.

I need strength in my hair but can't use protein. She said to find some products that have a ph balance of at least 6 and to find something with bamboo and/or rhodiola So im looking for something with those things in it that doesn't have cones or protein
I'm not lo-po but I lurk in all the threads. Beautifully Bamboo has a provitamin silica extract conditioner boost which is a long name for B5 and bamboo extract (iirc those are the only 2 ingredients on my bottle at home). It shows coming soon but it's been in stock previously. Maybe @n_vizion could shed some light on when you would be able to purchase it. Maybe that could work for strengthening.

n_vizion

I'm not lo-po but I lurk in all the threads. Beautifully Bamboo has a provitamin silica extract conditioner boost which is a long name for B5 and bamboo extract (iirc those are the only 2 ingredients on my bottle at home). It shows coming soon but it's been in stock previously. Maybe @n_vizion could shed some light on when you would be able to purchase it. Maybe that could work for strengthening.

Hi! I have a couple of bottles of the extract on hand that I'll make available for purchase this evening. I also have more inventory on the way which means that I'll be back fully in stock again probably within 1-2 weeks.

Can you tell me a little bit about how you use Beautifully Bamboo extract in your regimen? I notice that everyone uses it a bit differently.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Hi! I have a couple of bottles of the extract on hand that I'll make available for purchase this evening. I also have more inventory on the way which means that I'll be back fully in stock again probably within 1-2 weeks.

Can you tell me a little bit about how you use Beautifully Bamboo extract in your regimen? I notice that everyone uses it a bit differently.
I mix it with Aphogee 2 minute in the fall/winter and as a leave in every other day in the spring/summer since in cowash daily and don't want to have overmoisturized hair.

sparkle25

So this is a product you add to regular conditioners or whatever you want? You ladies are so sweet. Thanks for making me feel better and coming out to help me and my wretched hair lol

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
So this is a product you add to regular conditioners or whatever you want? You ladies are so sweet. Thanks for making me feel better and coming out to help me and my wretched hair lol
You can add it to conditioner. I add it to Aphogee 2 minute or mix with very warm water in a spray bottle. If you order I would say try it like a rinse out protein treatment first and if your hair tolerates it well then maybe try as a leave in.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Ok thanks for that,

I think I'm going to try the baking soda thing too. How do you use it?

She said to start with 1/8 a teaspoon, dissolve it into warm water and poor over my head then use a conditioner.

I'm a little confused because she also said to apply conditioner on to my hair before I shampoo and after. What would be the purpose of using it before if my cuticles are super closed anyways?

Then I usually don't use rinse out conditioner. I just wash and DC with a heat cap usually for an hour and then I'll rinse it out whenever. And I usually DC on dry hair too because I figured that if my hair is full of water, then the nutrients from the DC won't get in there and do its job.

If I put the baking soda mix on my hair after I wash it, that would open my cuticles up, but then if I let my hair dry before putting DC on it, wouldn't the cuticles be closed by the time I apply the DC? I'm just thing to figure out how to implement this baking soda in my plan. Today is wash day so I'm not really sure what to do

I used the baking soda mix so long ago, but I think I made it watery to paste like and it was fine.

I've used conditioner before washing and it was fine, but the conditioning again killed it for me. That's a no. And I used regular poo after just like @uofmpanther stated. Something simple and clear.

I DC on fully wet hair because it allows me to use less product. I've tried dc on dry hair and drying my hair a bit after I wash and it causes me to use more product and for the latter, I just had dry hair. Conditioner is 70-80% water anyway, so your just putting water right back in. That water on your hair is not going to cause a setback, but if what you are doing works for you, continue to do it.

And you have to prepared that when you apply conditioner, your cuticles will reclose. Happens to me all the time.

AgeinATL

I just note that what doesn't work for some, may work for others. I deep condition overnight before shampooing, and it works great for me. It works better than doing the DC after. I just use regular conditioner after.

All of this. Even among LP heads, there are differences. Some can use AVJ, oils, proteins, butters, cones, etc. while some cannot. It is all about trial and error to find the right products and techniques for your hair.

@sparkle25 - stay encouraged sis. Consider this a turning point for your hair journey.

sparkle25

I'm gonna try the yes to carrots shampoo w
I used the baking soda mix so long ago, but I think I made it watery to paste like and it was fine.

I've used conditioner before washing and it was fine, but the conditioning again killed it for me. That's a no. And I used regular poo after just like @uofmpanther stated. Something simple and clear.

I DC on fully wet hair because it allows me to use less product. I've tried dc on dry hair and drying my hair a bit after I wash and it causes me to use more product and for the latter, I just had dry hair. Conditioner is 70-80% water anyway, so your just putting water right back in. That water on your hair is not going to cause a setback, but if what you are doing works for you, continue to do it.

And you have to prepared that when you apply conditioner, your cuticles will reclose. Happens to me all the time.
Thank you. I just washed my hair with a shampoo I had on hand, then once it was a little damp I mixed 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda with one cup of warm water and poured it over my head. Then I squeezed the excess water out and applied my warmed up DC. She said that amount of soda should bring the ph up to like 7 and if that doesn't open my cuticle try 1/4 teaspoon to bring it to 8. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be able to tell if my cuticle is open or not but I tried it so I guess we'll see

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm gonna try the yes to carrots shampoo w

Thank you. I just washed my hair with a shampoo I had on hand, then once it was a little damp I mixed 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda with one cup of warm water and poured it over my head. Then I squeezed the excess water out and applied my warmed up DC. She said that amount of soda should bring the ph up to like 7 and if that doesn't open my cuticle try 1/4 teaspoon to bring it to 8. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be able to tell if my cuticle is open or not but I tried it so I guess we'll see

Your hair will feel rough and puff up pretty quickly. I think the correct term is frizz.

sparkle25

Your hair will feel rough and puff up pretty quickly. I think the correct term is frizz.

I couldn't tell because I wasn't looking for that. My hair is pretty puffy because the hairdresser cut off alllll the splits and that brought my straighter hair to a shoulder bob. But shrinkage brought my hair to an Afro! A little one. I'll try this next week and then I'll see if it got frizzy. Thanks for your help xxxx

sparkle25

Can you tell is the ingredients in this product? I haven't been able to find them online

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
@sparkle25 You can get Rhodiola from Amazon. That's where I got mine and and other products from the same vendor. I mixed mine with bamboo extract, oils, and a leave in to use on my ends. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...id=1488821327&sr=1-5&keywords=makingcosmetics

I'm sure you will be able to turn your hair around.

:bighug:

I just want to note that I'm not entirely sure what my porosity is since going natural. Is that water test still a good indicator of porosity?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@sparkle25 You can get Rhodiola from Amazon. That's where I got mine and and other products from the same vendor. I mixed mine with bamboo extract, oils, and a leave in to use on my ends. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...id=1488821327&sr=1-5&keywords=makingcosmetics

I'm sure you will be able to turn your hair around.

:bighug:

I just want to note that I'm not entirely sure what my porosity is since going natural. Is that water test still a good indicator of porosity?

As long as you do it on clean hair.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
LoPo chking in.
Time to read through these 45 pages!!

EDITED TO ADD-
Natural. Big chopped #3 in 2014
Fine 4b wiry/cotton blend
Fine 4a in the back

My hair loves:
Dry detangling
DC on dry hair before shampoo
Steam treatments 30-40min sessions
Diluted v05 strawberries shampoo..
Stretched styles
Handled in sections

My hair hates:
combs/ brushes/ tangle teezers etc
styling/manipulation while wet
wash & gos
Shrunken styles
Straight shea butter
Coconut oil **revisiting May 2017
Aloe vera juice/gel **revisiting May 2017
Baking soda

Last edited:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I have just learned my hair is low po, completely contrary to what I believed. I was surer than sure I had high porosity hair. It frizzes and dries fast and hates all product. But when I did the glass test my hair from multiple parts of my head stayed at the top of the water. no sinking.

Low po could explain a lot that i didn't understand about my hair. I still am shocked about this.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
@Alma Petra have you checked out this thread yet?

The only thing I can think of that caused a porosity change is either supplements or pregnancy/nursing - the switch happened with child #2. I used to co-wash daily for moisture, and realized a few years later my hair started retaining moisture longer. It got even better with oil rinsing.

I took so many supplements back then, I can barely remember which one did what.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•

I reverse DC too.
I don't do it overnight (bc my scalp disagrees), but I steam DC for 45 minutes then shampoo (focusing on my scalp).

Alma Petra

@Alma Petra have you checked out this thread yet?

The only thing I can think of that caused a porosity change is either supplements or pregnancy/nursing - the switch happened with child #2. I used to co-wash daily for moisture, and realized a few years later my hair started retaining moisture longer. It got even better with oil rinsing.

I took so many supplements back then, I can barely remember which one did what.

Thank you so much! I have started reading through this thread and I have already come across a few promising ideas. I'll continue to read through it to collect more wisdom.

blackeyes31626

I don't use leave-ins either, unless it's a spray.

I see there aren't many shampoos and conditioners I like. I actually like that castor oil shampoo from SM and the manuka mask? But that's just a treatment, not much slip. I use silicon mix to DC with. That so far has given me the most slip. I'm able to detangle with that, and it leaves my hair soft and moisturized.

Today I dc'ed, then applies SM curly smoothie. I used Garnier anti frizz serum.
Which ones work best for you? I've only really had success with Oyin juices and berries. Alikay lemongrass was too thick and Komaza care coconut spray wasn't moisturizing enough.

LushLox

I'm low po but I think I've just been denying it to myself for some reason! :lol:

I've really got a handle of my moisture levels though, I don't seem to have as many problems as I used to.