Lurker > Newbie! Good Salons in NYC/RVA to straighten natural hair

MsSanz92

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post here on LHCF! I am excited to finally participate on the boards since I have been a long time lurker. Here's a little info about my hair history:

I am currently natural, did my BC in March 2010 after transitioning for approx. 7 months (my last relaxer was August 29, 2009) . My hair now is anywhere from 4-7 inches on my head (it grows VERY unevenly... working on that). I am currently wearing clip ins on my pressed hair but I will be getting a sew in a little after New Years which I plan on keeping in until Mid-March. After taking my sew in out I wanted to straighten my hair for my 1 year natural anniversary and looking towards getting a Dominican Blowout. Yes, I have heard all the horror stories and cautionary tales of the ills of a Dominican Blowout BUT I do think my hair can handle it, as I have been taking care of it for the last few months and my hair is NOT heat sensitive (in fact I have been using heat regularly since it has gotten cold and no heat damage yet.) I wanted some suggestions on good Dominican Salons in NYC (particularly the Bronx/Manhattan) who will do natural type 4a/b hair without the hassle. Pics are also welcome! Thanks in advance (sorry for the long post)

PS: If not a Dominican Salon, any salon who is good at straightening natural hair (preferably with the "Silk Press" look I don't want an old fashioned greasy press and curl). I am also looking to spend no more than $50-60 for this!

Last thing: If anyone from the Richmond Virginia area has any suggestions also for the same kind of thing (salon, preferably Dominican that can straighten natural hair) please share as I do attend school in Richmond and might want to straighten my hair while away at school in the future.

HHG Everyone!