Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2012

faithVA

This challenge is for everyone who wants to focus on healthier ends. We know our hair is always growing and that healthy ends are key to retention.

If you
1. had healthy ends but damaged them in some way
2. have ends that are dry, brittle, bushy
3. have ends that are thin, breaking or brittle
4. have breakage you just want to get rid of
5. or fill in the blank

this challenge is for you.

To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc
2. Current Hair Length
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends
4. What you have tried to improve your ends
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends
6. Optional: share your current hair measurements either in inches or body lengths (SL, APL). You may want a record of where you started.

Retention is an ongoing thing so if you join please be committed to updating us either WEEKLY/BIWEEKLY so we can share what is working, not working and any ideas.

Challengers
:kiss3: Poranges
:kiss3: HautePinkHeels
:kiss3: LuvlyRain3
:kiss3: B_Phlyy
:kiss3: leona2025
:kiss3: divachyk
:kiss3: NewHairWOWeave
:kiss3: Aggie
:kiss3: Carrie_A
:kiss3: Khaiya
:kiss3: greenandchic
:kiss3: faithVA
:kiss3: Chaosbutterfly
:kiss3: Royalq
:kiss3: Kamilla16
:kiss3: Victorian
:kiss3: sqzbly1908
:kiss3: djkforeal
:kiss3: silenttullip
:kiss3: DaDragonPrincess
:kiss3: Nightingale
:kiss3: LexiKing
:kiss3: NappyNelle
:kiss3: youwillrise

Last edited:

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
-Relaxed

2. Current Hair Length
-BSL

-Some dryness, a few split ends.

-Moisturizing more in ALL forms (DC, moisturizing daily)

-Using Silk Dreams products exclusively.
-Keeping ends protected as much as I can.

HautePinkHeels

Natural

2. Current Hair Length
About an inch away from APL

Some splits and some ssks

Regular dusting and search & destroys

Continue regular dusting and search & destroys. Also, low manipulation protective styles and making sure my ends stay moist.

6. Optional: share your current hair measurements either in inches or body lengths (SL, APL). You may want a record of where you started.
I'm an inch away from APL at my longest layer.
Nape: 9 inches
Crown: 8 inches
Front: 9 inches
Sides: 8.5 inches

Last edited:

LuvlyRain3

joining will be back with my answers after my nap

eta

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc-Natural
2. Current Hair Length- somewhere in the abyss between sl and apl
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends- ssks are my biggest issue
4. What you have tried to improve your ends- nothing much:look:
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends-my goal for my hair this year is cosistency. when i am consistent with my regimen my ssks are under control
6. Optional: share your current hair measurements either in inches or body lengths (SL, APL). You may want a record of where you started. - i stopped measuring inches months ago

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Natural 4b/4a

2. Current Hair Length
Neck length

Dryness and SSK

Just trimmed off 1/2 inch

Baggy
More occlusive sealant
Regular dustings

Attachments

• 676A0131.jpg
    676A0131.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

leona2025

. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Relaxed/Texlaxed

2. Current Hair Length: I believe I'm MBL. Pictures in my siggie.

3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends: In the past I have been pretty close to wl 2 times and each time I trimmed back to MBL or BSL because of thin ends. Also I have some areas at the nape and sides of my ears that has major breakage from dying and relaxing. I'm experiencing a little breakage. Maybe too much protein.

4. What you have tried to improve your ends : Staying away from the heat. I had a considerable amount of heat damage throughout all of 2011. I was flatironing weekly and sometimes twice a week. I also got a really good trim.

5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends: More staying away from the heat. I'm doing no heat styles like buning and braidouts. Also I'm leaving the plastic bristle brush alone.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Relaxed
2. Current Hair Length
BSL/MBL
Uneven hemline/thinner on right side
Seeing a few more split ends and mid shaft splits than normal
Main concern: areas of what I consider trichorrhexis nodosa-- white dots along the shaft that snap easily

This is a new issue so nothing to date
Continue to protective style and increase dusting frequency

NewHairWOWeave

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc Relaxed
2. Current Hair Length SL
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends have ends that are dry, brittle, bushy
&have ends that are thin, breaking or brittle

4. What you have tried to improve your ends: CLIPPING EVERY 3 MONTHS, KEEPING THEM MOISTURIZED
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends JBCO,CLIPPING EVERY 3 MONTHS, MORE PSING

Aggie

Joining this one too since I was in the last one. My hair is still in a weave for protection right now.

Carrie A

Heck. I'm in too many challenges but oh well.

To join, post

Natural
2. Current Hair Length
MBL/WL
uneven SSK, bushy, thinning
Not a whole lot
More regular dusting. Nixing bobby pins, I really haven't had the patience to do twists. I've been braiding to try to avoid SSN. I've been combing my hair to get rid of shed hair which was getting trapped in the knots. Considering rollersets once a month to help stretch the hair.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I really like Saravun's castor cream and castor butter and Silk Dream Nourish oil. I plan to rotate these prods to preserve these ends.

Khaiya

Natural

2. Current Hair Length
CBL

dry, brittle, bushy

Heavy sealing and using a dc regularly has helped but i still need to take it up a notch

Going to incorporate baggying and more consistent moisturizing and sealing.

Last edited:

greenandchic

Natural

2. Current Hair Length
BSL - U shape

Slightly bushy with some split ends.

Sealing ends nightly, dusting, protein and henna.

More of the above, and more trimming until I get it right.

I will need to do that later.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'd like to join this challenge!

I'm relaxed.

2. Current Hair Length
Full APL

I'm always fighting against thinning, splitting, and breaking ends. For some reason that I honestly don't know, I'm also seeing a number of single strand knots.

I've been protectively styling and trying to keep them moist while cutting, searching and destroying and dusting. I think the worst is over with, but I will have to work hard to maintain their health while my hair grows.

Besides regular dustings and bunning daily, I will be baggying, using lots of castor oil and castor oil products on them, and going back to conditioning them (both protein and moisture) with heat.
I'm going to start doing cassia treatments with the addition of amla, hibiscus, fenugreek, and brahmi for thickening.

Royalq

I want in!

Natural

2. Current Hair Length
4-4.5 inches throughout head

Bushy and rough, just started experiencing ssk.

Nothing yet

More intense DC, moisturizing often, lay off my denman a bit, mud wash on just the tips of my hair, sealing with castor oil. Thinking about tryong the deeper moisture method

Front- 4 inches
sides- 4.5 inches
crown- 4 inches
nape- 3 3/4 inches

Kamilla16

-Relaxed

2. Current Hair Length
-APL

-dryness, a few split ends

-Moisturizing (but started slacking... I know!)
-Using SCURL nightly, focusing on ends when moisturizing.
-Keeping ends off clothing!
-Rollersets

LuvlyRain3

about to moisturize and seal with hairveda whipped ends and hairitage hydrations peach aloe pomade. gotta get back in the habit of doing this on a regular

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Moisturized with Silk Dreams Buttercream & sealed w/ grapeseed oil. My ends feel very soft. :lick:

sajjy

natural
2. Current Hair Length
collarbone
breakage and split ends
two teaspoons of molasses dailyalong with my vitamin regime
rollerset once every 3-4wks to keep my ends streched
6. Optional: share your current hair measurements either in inches or body lengths (SL, APL). You may want a record of where you started 1.5 inches away from apl

Last edited:

TrueSugar

I am in
1. natural
2. i think apl, I need to detangle
3. not taken care of
4. nothing
5. protective styles and dc treatments

tiffjust2002

Okay ladies I need some serious HELP!!!!! MY DD ends are horrible, I don't know what I am doing wrong, she has a bunch of split ends and they are SOOOOO dry. I must admit I am slacking on the moisturizing and sealing daily. Do you think I should do that and if so what do you recommend I use (product wise) I don't add barrettes to her ends, hardly ever use beads or rubber bands maybe once a month if that I usually style her hair in ponytails with twists. She won't let me do any real ps like buns she hates them. She is 7 btw. I wash her hair every two weeks, no co-washing, I DC after every wash under the hooded dryer. HELP?!

faithVA

Okay ladies I need some serious HELP!!!!! MY DD ends are horrible, I don't know what I am doing wrong, she has a bunch of split ends and they are SOOOOO dry. I must admit I am slacking on the moisturizing and sealing daily. Do you think I should do that and if so what do you recommend I use (product wise) I don't add barrettes to her ends, hardly ever use beads or rubber bands maybe once a month if that I usually style her hair in ponytails with twists. She won't let me do any real ps like buns she hates them. She is 7 btw. I wash her hair every two weeks, no co-washing, I DC after every wash under the hooded dryer. HELP?!

Give us a little more tiffjust2002.

Is your daughter relaxed or natural?
What DC are you using?
After the DC what are you applying to her hair?
How are you detangling her hair?
What do you moisturize and seal with when you do it?

tiffjust2002

Give us a little more @tiffjust2002.

Is your daughter relaxed or natural?
What DC are you using?
After the DC what are you applying to her hair?
How are you detangling her hair?
What do you moisturize and seal with when you do it?

She is natural
I DC with either Aussie Moist 3 min miracle I don't use a hooded dryer with this on I just do the body heat with a towel wrapped around her head over the plastic cap or I use Curls Deep Conditioner I forgot the name something with Tea lol
I detangle with a wide tooth comb or sometimes with my fingers usually a wide tooth comb while the conditioner is still in
I use whaterever I have on hand to moisture some time of moisturizing lotion like a hair milk or a butter that the first ingredient is water and I seal with coconut oil but before I had coconut oil I was sealing with EVOO

faithVA

She is natural
I DC with either Aussie Moist 3 min miracle I don't use a hooded dryer with this on I just do the body heat with a towel wrapped around her head over the plastic cap or I use Curls Deep Conditioner I forgot the name something with Tea lol
I detangle with a wide tooth comb or sometimes with my fingers usually a wide tooth comb while the conditioner is still in
I use whaterever I have on hand to moisture some time of moisturizing lotion like a hair milk or a butter that the first ingredient is water and I seal with coconut oil but before I had coconut oil I was sealing with EVOO

You may want to try a Protein/Moisture Balancing conditioner like AO GPB in case she needs a little protein.

Where I am its winter (didn't check to see where you are), so she may need something heavier to seal than coconut oil or EVOO. Someone previously mentioned the LOC method (liquid, oil, creamy ?). So you may want to put on a moisturizing liquid, then follow it with an oil, then follow it with a heavy cream or butter.

tiffjust2002

You may want to try a Protein/Moisture Balancing conditioner like AO GPB in case she needs a little protein.

Where I am its winter (didn't check to see where you are), so she may need something heavier to seal than coconut oil or EVOO. Someone previously mentioned the LOC method (liquid, oil, creamy ?). So you may want to put on a moisturizing liquid, then follow it with an oil, then follow it with a heavy cream or butter.

I was wondering about that protein issue, I beleive that AO is on sale at curlmart.com I will buy some. I am going to try that LOC method and how often would you think I need to do this daily? Or? Also the AO is that a rinse out conditioner or a deep conditioner?

Thanks so much for your help!