Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2013/2014

faithVA

This challenge is for everyone who wants to focus on healthier ends. We know our hair is always growing and that healthy ends are key to retention.

If you
1. had healthy ends but damaged them in some way
2. have ends that are dry, brittle, bushy
3. have ends that are thin, breaking or brittle
4. have breakage you just want to get rid of
5. have healthy ends and want to keep them that way
6. or fill in the blank

this challenge is for you.

To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc
2. Current Hair Length
3. Any issue(s) you are having with your ends
4. What you have tried to improve your ends
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends

Retention is an ongoing thing so if you join please be committed to updating at least 1x a month.

Rozlewis

Re: Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2013

Count me in.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc. - I am texlaxed.
2. Current Hair Length - shoulder length
3. Any issue(s) you are having with your ends - No current issues other than wanting to retain and reduce split ends
4. What you have tried to improve your ends - Moisturize and seal daily and protective styles
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends - I am going to be committed and consistent with my regime

Retention is an ongoing thing so if you join please be committed to updating at least 1x a month - I can commit to posting at least 1 x per month.

JazzyOleBabe

I'll join Faith.

1. Natural
2. Shoulder length
3. reducing split, dry and bushy ends
4. m & s sporatically
5. to m & s consistently

I will post my progress 1x a month

Last edited:

lamaria211

I'm in
Relaxed grazing apl. My issues are retaining moisture in my ends (no matter how much I DC and CW they always feel dry n crispy, I think it may be the hard water here in fl so this weekend I'm shower filter shopping!!) My other issue is my battle with trimming, I over trim! Sometimes I'll trim daily for weeks because once I start cutting its hard to stop.
So for this challenge my goals are to:
Put the scissors down
Buy n install my filter
M&S daily and
PS 7 days a week
Good luck everybody

Cherry89

1. I am Relaxed
2. Current Hair Length: MBL
3. Any issue(s) you are having with your ends: Yes, I have splits ends, not extremely bad.. but can use some more TLC
4. What you have tried to improve your ends: Trimming, aphogee 2 step and molasses.
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends: Im going to try to start sealing my hair every night with water based product, oil and whipped shea butter. I will bot do a full trim until August next year, so I will continue to dust at least once every two-four weeks and then a full trim in August.

Rozlewis

Just moisturized my ends with Whipped Creme Ends Hydration and sealed with organic GSO. This is what I use daily but may switch it up from time-to-time.

TheVioletVee

1. I am relaxed.
2. Neck length
3. My ends were getting thin because of breakage and my lack of dusting the bad areas.
4. I have been moisturizing and sealing, deep conditioning, etc.
5. Moving forward, I plan to protective style, limit combing to twice a month (finger comb in between), deep condition more, and do more protein reconstructors. I will also dust every month to get rid of any thinning ends; if I do this, they won't accumulate and make me have to cut off a lot of progress.

youwillrise

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc --- natural
2. Current Hair Length --- about 9 inches (reaches different lengths on my body depending on where you stretch from)
3. Any issue(s) you are having with your ends --- thin, easily split
4. What you have tried to improve your ends --- heavy sealing works for me and trimming more frequently (not too frequently, just not every other year like i used to haha) and keeping them hidden
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends --- be more gentle and patient with my handling.

Evolving78

i'm in!

Relaxed
APL
wanting to keep my ends hydrated
sealing, heavy trimming, protective styling
i don't know yet? oh getting back to protein treatments.

faithVA

Welcome ladies. Let 2013 be a great year for our ends.

faithVA

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc Natural

2. Current Hair Length TWAv

My ends have always felt rough and bushy.

Big-chopped because I had heat damage. Now just trimming away any remaining damage. What I have recently started doing is applying more oil and a creamy moisturizer to my ends after I DC.

I just trimmed last Friday to start the NY off fresh.
I purchased seamless combs from Sally's. So will only use seamless combs on my hair until I can finger comb.
I am apply more oil and cream moisturizers to my ends after I DC.
I am going to wear my hair in coils for 3 months to reduce manipulation.
I changed to ION Demi-Permanent to use a milder color on my hair.
And I am going to smooth more when I apply my conditioners and leave-in products. It seems to help.

Cherry89

going to get some aloe, shea butta and jojoba oil.. ;-)

Angel of the North

I doing so many challenges already but I need all the help I can get for my ends so I'm in.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Relaxed

2. Current Hair Length: BSB

3. Any issue(s) you are having with your ends: My ends are thin dry and look frizzy
4. What you have tried to improve your ends: m & s

5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends: Baggy ends, m & s more regularly, sleep on satin pillowcase/silk scarf

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

I'm in!

1. I'm texlaxed
2. BSL
3. I have about an inch of overprocessed ends I need to trim, and a few splits.
4. I haven't tried anything consistently to help my ends
5. I'm going to trim my thin ends and start consistently moisturizing my ends

TheVioletVee

I've been baggying whenever possible to increase moisture and using straight castor oil on the ends. I have definitely noticed that my ends are harder to moisturize.

faithVA

I washed tonight. I tried to finger detangle and my ends weren't having it. So what I did tonight was after applying my oil, I spritzed my hair with water and then I put on my leave-in. Then I separated the big sections into smaller sections and applied leave-in horitzontally and verticially. Then I smoothed and really tried to work the product into my hair and into my ends. I made sure I spent more time smoothing than usual and applied more product.

I am going to make sure I am smoothing when I apply my conditioner and before I rinse in the shower. I am going to get back to finger detangling. And I will smooth and work the product in more when I am applying my leave-ins.

I will monitor it over the next 30 days and see what I get.

My ends seemed great last weekend and even yesterday but today they seemed crazy :ohwell:

Angel of the North

I washed on Sunday, I moisturised with ORS olive oil moisturizer in sections and applied a generous amount to my ends, did a single braid, sealed with carrot oil and did a wet bun. I am going to take it down on Monday night, re-moisturise thoroughly, seal baggy the ends and bun the single braid again. This is my go to PS as it keeps my ends soft, moist and I can leave it in for days.

I need to lock down my ends so that they look nice and healthy when my hair's out and also so I can maintain my length when I reach my ultimate goal

coyacoy

I am in! Been slacking lately and my ends are suffering because of it....month of january my goal is to M&S at least 5 nights per week prol using JBCO

Eta:
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc. - natchel!

2. Current Hair Length - apl

3. Any issue(s) you are having with your ends - a few more broken hairs than i am comfortable with lately

4. What you have tried to improve your ends - Moisturize and seal regularly....monthly dusting

5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends - M&S and PS 5/7 days/week

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

IN!

-Texlaxed

2. Current Hair Length

Between APL and BSB

I tend to get thin ends, but I know how. I was banding my hair constantly and not taking my time removing the bands and broke them off. BAD ME! :fishslap:

Nothing really. I really just let it happen. Again BAD ME! :fishslap:.

Well, I cut off about 2 to 2 1/2 inches yesterday to get my ends nice and blunt so I'm starting anew (I'll add some pics).

-Dusting Monthly ONLY 1/10th-1/8th of an inch (not much AT ALL).
-Slight TRIM with up Texlax (1/4th to 1/2th inch)
-Doing a modified version of the LOC Method. Mine will be the "LCOB/P" (Liquid, Cream, Oil, Butter and/or Pomade) Method. Focusing a small amount butter only on the last 2 to 3 inches of my hair.
-Air Drying
-Protective and Low Manipulation Styling, Mostly protective (Bunning!)
-Using a Phyto PhytoKeratine' Reparative Serum (It helps protect and treat damaged ends). I will only the last 2 inches of my hair on wash day:)

Pics: One is of my hair at BSL with Raggedy ends :nono: and the next is off my freshly trim blunt U shaped ends :yay:

Attachments

• 2012-12-08_16.30.06.jpg
    2012-12-08_16.30.06.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 79
  • 2012-12-30_00.02.21.jpg
    2012-12-30_00.02.21.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

My-Foolish-Heart

I'd like to join!

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Relaxed, with some texlaxed portions due to underprocessing
2. Current Hair Length: CBL
3. Any issue(s) you are having with your ends: My ends seem pretty dry, even with moisturizing and sealing regularly
4. What you have tried to improve your ends: Regular trims, hiding my ends in buns when my hair is out of my regular protective styles (weaves, half-wigs)
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends: I will be using grape seed oil to really baby my ends and will dust in between trims to reduce the amount I have to cut off

LaidBak

I'm in.
-relaxed
-neck length
-my problem is ends that thin out over time, usually more on one side than the other
- did a major cut 30 days ago to even both sides up and make my ends blunt
- I baggy on most nights, but I plan on getting crotchet braids in a few days. Hoping I like them so my ends can get a break

Missmyssi

Oooh I need to join this. I'm relaxed and almost full shoulder length (finally). I moisturize and seal daily and use a half wig to hide my ends.Just got a trim, but it felt like she trimmed too much, more for evenness than splits. My problem is that I have a hard time identifying splits, my hair is fine and even under light, I never see any. I end up relying on a stylist to tell me how much is split. My goal for the year is to learn to identify splits and possibly learn to trim my own ends.

Shana'

I'm in....

Relaxed....possibly transitioning

2. Current Hair Length
Between BSL and MBL

Dry, split ends, frizzy/bushy

Last year nothing really, I basically neglected my hair in 2012

Sometime this month I'm going to get a really good trim
Regular dustings
M&S
Increase my dcing

Last edited:

jesusislove1526

Natural
2. Current Hair Length
grazing MBL
3. Any issue(s) you are having with yoour ends
some ssks, dryness
moisturizing, keeping them up, protective styles, low manipulation, LCO after cowashing
adding on more moisturizing, increasing my GHE from 3x to 5x per week, may increase my DC from 1x to 2x per week to coincide with my cowashing, dusting at least 1x between trims

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL

To join, post
2. Current Hair Length

1. I am natural.
  2. Currently, I am MBL. My goal is to grow to a thick, healthy, even WHIP length.
  3. My strands are fine, so I am prone to splits, dryness, single strand knots, and fraying. I would like to keep those issues from stalling my retention.
  4. Trimming every three months with the lunar cycle, sealing with a heavy oil or butter, and protective styling have greatly improved the condition of my ends. I also concentrate extra conditioner on the last few inches of my hair.
  5. I will continue the above methods to maintain healthy ends.

Cherry89

I'm still wet Bunning and sealing 99% of the time, will do a light dusting in another 2 weeks.