Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2017

faithVA

This challenge is for everyone who wants to focus on healthier ends. We know our hair is always growing and that healthy ends are key to retention.

This challenge is for you if you...
1. had healthy ends but damaged them in some way
2. have ends that are dry, brittle, bushy
3. have ends that are thin, breaking or brittle
4. have breakage you just want to get rid of
5. have healthy ends and want to keep them that way
6. or fill in the blank

To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc
2. Current Hair Length
3. Why are you joining this challenge?
4. What have you tried to improve your ends?
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends?

Retention is an ongoing thing so if you join please be committed to updating at least 1x a month.

faithVA

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning: Natural
2. Current Hair Length: Between NL and SL
3. Why are you joining this challenge: My ends stay jacked up. I'm hoping to figure out how to pamper them in 2017
4. What have you tried to improve your ends: Stretching, using oils, using butters, moisturizing more often, staying in protective styles, trimming regularly
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends: I'm going to try rollersetting and then doing a protective style on rollerset hair. I plan to moisturize at least every 2 to 3 days. Not sure what else to try after that.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thank you for this thread, @faithVA. So glad you are hosting it. :smile:

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc.? Natural

2. Current Hair Length
After November's trim, my layers vary from ear length to just beyond shoulder length.

When I got a trim in November, I was unpleasantly surprised at how split my ends were and how much hair had to be trimmed (photos are attached). As you might imagine, I am certainly now inspired to learn to minimize split ends.

Photos enlarge upon click. Picture of split ends on one section, picture of length PRE-trim, picture of length POST-trim:

WP_20161117_027.jpg WP_20161117_025.jpg WP_20161117_029.jpg
  1. I have learned to style my hair in such a way that the ends don't tangle too, too much. Absolutely hair game changing for me.
  2. I just started this about a week ago: Apply a mixture of Netwurks Coconut Custard, castor oil, and jojoba oil to my ends. The Netwurks custard jar says it is designed to address split ends.
  3. I have stopped going to new salons for natural styles and will only go to Angela Hicks or my crochet braider.
  4. If I must go to any salon, I detangle my own hair before the salon visit, and I go in with my hair conditioner-laden and in twists.

I will cease pulling off knots that need removal. Instead, I'll cut them with scissors designed for hair. Anything else actually just creates a new split end, simply higher up on the strand. I didn't know that!

I am still deciding, but I am considering one or more of the following:

Often wearing
well-gelled twist-outs or puffs (my hair hardly tangles at all with this style); often wearing African thread-outs (I'm currently practicing to replicate this tutorial's method); and/or often wearing clip-ins over two-strand twists. :smile:

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Hey hey hey......

1. I'm natural
2. Current Hair Length is in btwn shoulders and APL
3. I am joining this challenge bc I want to keep my ends healthy and decrease these fairy knots
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? Protein, trimmed, and M&S
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? Same as #4

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Natural
2. Current Hair Length: between APL and BSL
3. Why are you joining this challenge? I really want to make it to WL. I'd be there by now if I hadn't needed so many trims.
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? Nothing specific
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? Sealing with castor oil every other day. Finger detangling. Baggying ends

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Often wearing well-gelled twist-outs or puffs (my hair hardly tangles at all with this style); often wearing African thread-outs (I'm currently practicing to replicate this tutorial's method); and/or often wearing clip-ins over two-strand twists. :smile:
That technique looks interesting but the way the ends are wrapped and the thread knotted and then the way she un-did the thread seems like it's going to result in shredded and split ends over time. I'd be wary of trying this.

Evolving78

I wanna join!
Relaxed
NL
I want to reduce the need to trim. I think I trim too often anyway (scissor happy). My goal for this year is APL.
I gave myself a really good trim and decided to cut out heat for awhile and wearing my hair out. I'm Neck length, so my hair is snagging on everything right now.

I plan on wearing buns/updos, roller setting, relaxing three times a year.

Daina

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc - Natural
2. Current Hair Length - MBL
3. Why are you joining this challenge? - looking to maintain healthy ends; just started self trimming and will be looking for tips as well; will be trimming heat damage over time
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? - paying close attention and babying; moisturize and heavy seal every other day; protective styling in buns, twists and french braids; DC weekly; self trimming every 3-4 months; taking several supplements, drinking a gallon of water and green smoothies
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? - continuing what I've been doing and doing a few more trims in 2017

Curls&Justice417

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc Natural
2. Current Hair Length Shoulder length mostly. I have some chin length layers, too.
3. Why are you joining this challenge? I want to retain as much length as possible this year, without having scraggly ends. I want long, yet full healthy hair.
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? Moisturizing my ends more often, cutting down on the heat usage, using the search and destroy method as needed.
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? Trimming when necessary, drinking more water, I'm going to try baggying my ends to see how that works for me.

GGsKin

Natural.
2. Current Hair Length
Longest layers past APL.
I was all in the last challenge and it acts as a great reminder to take care and show my ends some attention.
Baggying/ GHE. Regular watering. Regular dusting of knots found on the very ends of single strands. Shea butter on ends (haven't done this is a while). Maintaining protein/ moisture balance. Focusing on my ends when oiling in the shower, and applying conditioner/ gel. Gentler detangling, ensuring I am not just ripping my hair apart when I get to the ends (trying to be consistent).
Everything I still do in no.4. Nothing new yet.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@faithVA, I would like to join this challenge. I have already added it to my siggy!

To join, post

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning- I am natural.

2. Current Hair Length - 21 inches in the back, 22 inches in the front. (WHIP Length)

3. Why are you joining this challenge?- I had Brillo Pad ends. My hair loves to knot and split on the ends.

4. What have you tried to improve your ends? I have tried baggy-ing. It used to work great, but not anymore. I had a single ponytail and the entire ponytail turned in itself and knotted. I realized I had to make a change.

• I restarted drenching my freshly conditioned and rinsed hair with Infusium and Neutral Protein Filler as a leave in.
  • I wet my braids daily and saturate them with my shea butter mix.
My ends are feeling more durable and strong already. I have been doing this since December 4th, 2016. I would like to continue to do this throughout 2017.

Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this challenge.

The first picture is crooked. I don't know how to turn it. But, the ends of the hair look nicely curled. But that is not the reality. Lurking in those wet curls are split ends and knots. See the second picture. I have got to give my ends special attention!

Ends.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4937.JPG
    IMG_4937.JPG
    805.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Aggie

I'm back to answer the questions in the original post.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc - I am mildly texlaxed.

2. Current Hair Length - Between APL and BSB.

3. Why are you joining this challenge? To continue to take care of my ends because I realize that raggedy ends equals raggedy hair and I don't want that. I will do a tiny trim maybe twice but no more than 3 times for 2017. March and September most likely around the spring and fall solstice.

4. What have you tried to improve your ends? I simply keep my ends nicely moisturized with the LCO method using Infusium 23 leave-in or some other moisturizer and heavy creams/butters and oils. I also keep them tucked away under my wigs for the majority of the year with one week break every 8 weeks or so when I would bun my hair.

5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? Same answer as question #4

Retention is an ongoing thing so if you join please be committed to updating at least 1x a month. I will commit to updating what I'm doing and products I'm using at least once a month.

klsjackson

To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Relaxed
2. Current Hair Length: APL
3. Why are you joining this challenge? I have thinning ends and a 'V' shape. I want thicker, fuller ends and a "U"
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? Deep conditioning and steaming
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? I plan to trim at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch every 8 weeks until my ends look the way I desire.

TrueSugar

I would love to join in!!!
1. I am natural
2. Current Hair Length- bsl
3. Why are you joining this challenge? I find that I can grow my hair well, but i have a hard time with retention. So I plan on focusing on my ends.
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? Not really
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? Protective styles and DCs

Evolving78

I don't know if I said I was gonna cowash in this thread, but I take that all back!
I tried and my hair felt so coated! I even tried to use a sulfate free shampoo to remove it...no ma'am. I had to jump out of the shower and get the sulfates! lol I had to wash twice, then use a Moisturizing shampoo. My hair feels better. I'll be airdrying, but I see I just need to stick with the shampoos. I didn't mean to wash my hair today. I just wanna to cowash and play! Lol

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I need to join this challenge as well. I recently discovered just how bad my ends were. I'm gonna try and stick to this challenge lol.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed,
natural, transitioning, etc
I'm relaxed
2. Current Hair Length
Various lengths between a half inch (undercut) to grazing cbl on the right and nape length on the right
3. Why are you joining this challenge? Because I never keep up with my ends and as long as I've been on here, my hair should be longer lmao
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? Currently, I gave my self a nice trim.
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? Moisturize and seal often and keep up with my trims

Pmpomatic

Natural
2. Current Hair Length
Between BSL and MBL
I want to maintain healthy ends.
M&S prn
Use rollers nightly
Protective styling w/ tucked ends
Scheduled trims q 3-4 months with a stylist I trust

Same as #4. I may switch up protective hairstyles.

Curls&Justice417

I think I need to do a light dusting. My ends aren't terrible, but I'm noticing more breakage then I care to see. Mainly in the crown. I'm going to hold off a little bit because I think they may just be super dry. My crown is perpetually the driest part of my hair and it can be hell trying to keep it moisturized. They still finger coil really well when I do my two strand twists so I'm just going to moisturize them more often and seal with a butter...