Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2018

gvin89

I've been missing the glycerin! Thanks for mentioning that... think I'll try s-curl for awhile. My ends keep popping and I couldn't figure out why...same with my daughters!

GGsKin

Please share your shea butter mixes....I'd like to try that on my ends.[/QUOTE

To create my mix, I infused oils (hempseed, olive, castor and a little coconut) with kalpi tone, heenara and a little extra henna. Then I took some shea butter and whipped it up with some of the oil.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
SheaHairJan8 2018 E.JPG

Checking in with my greasy, shea buttered ends for January 2018! With Scurl and shea butter my ends rarely get tangled anymore. I can't believe that my lifetime of tangles has disappeared because of Scurl and shea butter and the No Comb Method. I am grateful.

Angel1881

Lurker '01; Member '08; First post '17
For years, I’ve watched challenges on this board and I’m so excited to finally participate with you guys!
:bouncy:

Warning: This post is somewhat long because I’m also trying to introduce myself after all of these years.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc:

Natural 4a

2. Current Hair Length:

BSL scraping MBL

3. Why are you joining this challenge?

Goals:

1. Thicken up my hemline. The last 3 inches of my hair are noticeably thin because (a) I’ve been wearing it out too much, (b) I didn’t properly moisturize it for nearly a year, and (c) I did too many S&Ds and not enough overall trims.

2. Reach full MBL. My hair grows in a natural V-shape, but I’m striving for blunt ends with a few face framing layers…like this photo:

20180109_2018 MBL Length Goal.jpg

3. Find the proper moisture/protein balance for my ends to prevent splits. I have fine/fragile strands, and my hair is thick in density with thin ends. My hair is finicky. I don’t know my porosity, so maybe that’s why I’ve found myself in a catch-22. If I don’t M&S regularly, my hair gets very dry and frizzy. However, it breaks easily with regular M&Sing without also regularly using protein…so I MUST use protein. But then my hair quickly gets too hard when I follow a regular protein schedule. My hair needs both moisture and protein carefully balanced depending on how it feels that day. I need to figure out how to balance it in order to maintain luscious, healthy ends.

4. What have you tried to improve your ends?

I keep my hair in a satin scarf every night and use low manipulation styling, but that clearly isn’t enough. I tend to slack off on regular M&S due to (a) laziness, and (b) fear of the vicious cycle of breakage from over-moisturization leading to protein overload and on and on...

5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends?

My Participation in this Challenge:
  • Flat-iron on Jan. 9 and Dec. 31 for length checks. I mostly flat-iron once a year.
  • Post starting pics on Jan. 8-10 and ending pic on Dec. 31.
  • Follow the regimen below to achieve my 3 goals listed above.
  • Post at least weekly about how I’ve been taking care of my ends.
  • Post pics of the way I normally wear my hair at least once quarterly. (Braids/braidouts, twists/twistouts, bantu-knotouts, updos, and buns)
  • Post any helpful info I learn about products, techniques, and styles to maintain luscious, healthy ends.
Regimen:

I’ve been natural since October of 1999 and after 18 years, I’ve noticed that my hair does best when I faithfully adhere to the following:
  • Wash weekly with shampoo.
  • Always deep condition for 30 min after every wash. (I will allow 1 cheat pass every quarter, which I want to save in case I’m pressed for time.)
  • When using protein treatments, always use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards.
  • Seal leave-in conditioner with black castor oil and dry up to 50% under the dryer in 4-8 twists.
  • Re-twist hair a second time while layering products in order of LCBVOG (V=Vaseline; G=gel) after leave-in conditioner/oil/dryer combo above. VaselineFootnote mostly goes on the last 3-4 inches, but a tiny amount is spread on the rest of the hair. Air-dry or dryer until 90% dry.
  • Re-twist hair a third time with more product. Air-dry or dryer until set.
  • M&S every other day. I only add more Vaseline, or Gel, or ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer if my hair feels like it needs it.
  • Apply all products from roots to tips and smooth down. (Except ApHogee above, which only goes on ends.)
  • Regular micro-trims with minimal S&Ds. This helps minimize uneven lengths, but still allows me to get rid of a bad knot/split. My hair is fine and needs regular snips of approx. 1/8 inch or less at least monthly – before it gets a chance to split. Otherwise, I retain significantly less. I think I have an average growth rate. My plan is to grow 6 in. and trim 1 ½ - 2 in. over the course of this year for a net gain of 4 - 4 ½ in.
  • Brushing approximately 4x monthly maximum.
  • Mostly wear my hair up when out and covered in satin scarf/bonnet when home.
  • Only straighten with flat iron on low once or twice a year.
Footnote: Speaking of Vaseline, I used to HATE it with a passion and refused to use it until 2016. I started using it because I was desperate to help my ends. Shea butter (alone or in blends) was great, but it wasn’t cutting it as a sealer and hadn’t been for a while. I only gave in after many years of research and running into naturals testifying and showing receipts about how it helped their ends. I use it only as a sealer with a little oil afterwards to keep my hair less stiff.

Products I will usually use for LCBVOG in order of appearance:

L Water in spray bottle
ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer on ends when needed (after water applied to strands)​

C 1. Alberto VO5, Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner (VO5) by itself​

2. VO5 mixed with black castor oil, sunflower oil, EVOO​

3. VO5 mixed with shea butter (lightly refined), black castor oil, sunflower oil, EVOO, and essential oil​

Note: When I do LCBVOG on wash day I often use nos. 1 and 3 together as the “C,” and when doing my M&S during the week, I tend to use nos. 2 and 3 together as the “C.” Every once in a while I only use no. 1.

B Shea butter mix includes heavy unrefined shea butter, black castor oil, sunflower oil, EVOO, essential oils

V Baby-scented Vaseline

O Blend of Sunflower oil (80%) and EVOO (20%) OR Vitamin E oil

G Wet Line Xtreme Styling Gel

I know I use a LOT of product and it seems like it’s too much. It took me too long to learn that my hair needs weight to get moisturized and hold a style. I live in an environment with extremely low humidity and I can use a lot of product and it sinks in without feeling too greasy. In fact, my hair is frizziest and can’t hold a style when I use less. I love that the few times I manage to get greasy hair when I LCBVOG, it doesn’t stay that way for longer than a few hours. This aspect of my hair amazes me. Luckily, I don’t get any flaking because I use the Wet Line gel. I absolutely love this gel!

Oh, and when I add essential oil, it is for fragrance. Right now, my mixes contain both geranium and sweet orange oils. I tend to use citrus blends.

I’m hoping that consistency with this regimen will protect and thicken my ends in a dramatic way.

6. Any helpful tips you learned for your fellow challengers...

I haven’t met too many people with hair like mine. One major difference I noticed between my wash day regimen and others is that I re-twist my hair at least 3 times in between drying. This gives me a nice stretch that cuts down on dryness and frizziness. Hopefully my regimen and the following info can help somebody…

Staples:

I like and use more products than those listed below, but these are my die-hard, not-mixed-by-me staples that I see myself using for the rest of my life:

Shampoo
Head & Shoulders, Sensitive Scalp Care
Redken, Cleansing Cream

Conditioner
Kenra, Moisturizing Conditioner $
Herbal Essences, Hello Hydration Conditioner

Protein Conditioner
Nexxus, Emergencee – Marine Collagen $

Leave-In Conditioner
Paul Mitchell, The Conditioner
ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer

Oil
Black Castor Oil
Jason Naturals, Vit. E 5,000 IU Skin Oil $

Moisturizer
Alberto VO5, Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner
Hair Rules, Hydrating Finishing Cream $

Butter
100% Shea Butter unrefined
KeraCare Natural Textures, Butter Cream $
Camille Rose, Almond & Jai Twisting Butter $

Styler
Tigi Catwalk, Curl Collection Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier $

Heat Styling
Hair Rules, Blow it all Out $

Sealer
Vaseline

Gel
Wet Line Xtreme Styling Gel

Honorable Mention
Shea Solutions, Leave-In Conditioner (I’ve only used this once and it was ahh-mazing, dahling. If this works the same way every time, then it will become a staple.)

****I tend to use the products with the $ sparingly due to cost.****

Starting Pics 1/8/18 – Curly Braidout

20180108_Curly Braidout.jpg 20180108_Curly Braidout Back Stretched.jpg 20180108_Curly Braidout Back Stretched Bra.jpg

Starting Pics – Flat-ironed

{Photos will be added 1/10/18}

Attachments

• 20180108_Curly Braidout Front Stretched.jpg
    20180108_Curly Braidout Front Stretched.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

gvin89

Plan to use scurl and Shea butter on my ends for awhile to see if it'll make a difference.

UPDATE: I sprayed with Oyin Greg Juice and slathered each twist with Jane Carter Nourish & Shine. I will wash my hair early next week.

Last edited:

Evolving78

I would like to join!
I just recently cut my hair and want to really focus on keeping my ends healthy.
APL ( even with the cut above, I have a lot of new growth that can be pulled down)
Relaxed
I want to minimize breakage
My ends were very porous, so they had to go. No more double processing, using titanium flat irons, hair color, etc..

I will deep condition at least 1-2 a week. Use castor oil on my ends when I’m wearing a bun.
My current goal is BSL by the summer
My year goal is MBL/WL.
Here is a pic of my hair. I haven’t had anybody to take a pic of the recent cut, since I have a bunch of new growth, it wouldn’t be accurate

The bottom line is the first cut, then I went back chopped off some more, which is the top line.

Attachments

• 05D32DCA-0236-437A-8DFE-6DD9356DA9EC.jpeg
    05D32DCA-0236-437A-8DFE-6DD9356DA9EC.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 82

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc Natural

2. Current Hair Length
Shoulder

To learn how to better moisturize and protect my ends, especially in twists.

I normally just trim 1-2x a year. In 2017 I wore my hair in plaits under my wigs unsuccessfully because I would just bunch them under my units.

Follow Naptural85 moisturizing steps. I’ll be consistent at the LOC Method EVERY WASH DAY. For 2018, I already chopped out 1-2 inches of straggly ends off. Now the my ends are fuller, my 2 strand twists are so much better and clump nicely on the ends. During the week, I’ll spray my twists with UBH Dew Spray, rub Cocoveda throughout, and seal w/UBH Creme Moist.
I also find spraying with SM Coconut Hibiscus Spray & Curl Enhancing Smoothie works the same. I just ♥️ UBH.

6. Any helpful tips you learned for your fellow challengers... When placing your hair under wigs. Don’t bunch them up. Loosely pin them across your head so they lay flat + I use a satin cap/scarf and not a nylon wig cap.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Last night I was about to go to bed with my hair out and frizzy but I decided not to be lazy :lol:

I sectioned my hair in two and I used s-curl and this coconut curls leave in moisturizer. I put each section in a baby pony tail and I sealed length of the pony tail with castor oil. Then I twirled it up and secured with a bobby pin.

Tomorrow I go to my hair stylist to do a scalp renewal treatment. I know she’s going to say something about my oily hair but guess who ain’t care!

See pics

Attachments

• 3020EA26-F6E3-4C82-A1AC-8BAC6CD67652.jpeg
    3020EA26-F6E3-4C82-A1AC-8BAC6CD67652.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 74E73DC8-C9D0-4952-80F7-3870E79929FF.jpeg
    74E73DC8-C9D0-4952-80F7-3870E79929FF.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 02D0EAA2-F39A-4179-9D91-53E2D81806CF.jpeg
    02D0EAA2-F39A-4179-9D91-53E2D81806CF.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 69

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
@Chicoro

If I apply shea just to my ends, did you find that shea from you hair created any stains on your shirts or made your scarf, bonnet, pillowcase, and/or wigs oily?

Did you experience dry ends from using too much shea that I blocked moisture from getting in?

How did you baggy your hair or ends before.... at night and during the day?

Chicoro

@Chicoro

If I apply shea just to my ends, did you find that shea from you hair created any stains on your shirts or made your scarf, bonnet, pillowcase, and/or wigs oily?

Did you experience dry ends from using too much shea that I blocked moisture from getting in?

How did you baggy your hair or ends before.... at night and during the day?

Hi @TamaraShaniece ,
Yes, the Shea butter creates oil stains, in my case because I use a lot. I did not experience dry ends because I first apply water, then Scurl, then Shea butter. This is my process. I never apply Shea by itself. I can't speak to using Shea on its own.

I baggied using a conditioner concoction and vaseline. I kept the baggie on 24 hours, night and day. At night, I loosened the knee-hi around my pony so my ponytail was not tight.

https://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/baggie-method/

Sally.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc.?
Natural.

2. Current Hair Length?
5 inches, I think.

Because I have always neglected my ends for most of my hair care journey which is likely why I haven’t gotten the length, fullness, and health I’ve wanted despite being on a healthy hair journey for 10+ years. I was always so afraid of cutting my hair and losing hard earned length that I just stopped trimming altogether, not realizing the disastrous effect split ends and cortex damage would have on my hair and it’s porosity. Now I know better so I’m trying to do better.

Nothing yet.

I got a haircut last week. I’ll be using s-curl and shea butter as moisturizers and sealants. Regular cassia treatments. Gonna try rollersetting to keep hair stretched. And finally, I'm investing in some quality shears and taking them with me to my appointments when I'm getting a trim.

Optional: Post a pic of your ends
My pic is below.

Attachments

• IMG_9688.JPG
    IMG_9688.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 65

Sally.

posted in RT, but posting here as well for advice:
i got 6 inches cut off my hair last week after not really having a good trim in 4 years. i think i still need a good 1-2 inches cut because i can still see split ends, but at this point i dont want to go shorter than my current length. if i don't get them cut off immediately will they get consierably worse before my next trim in 3 months? i also kinda don't want to straighten my hair so soon.

Chicoro

posted in RT, but posting here as well for advice:
i got 6 inches cut off my hair last week after not really having a good trim in 4 years. i think i still need a good 1-2 inches cut because i can still see split ends, but at this point i dont want to go shorter than my current length. if i don't get them cut off immediately will they get consierably worse before my next trim in 3 months? i also kinda don't want to straighten my hair so soon.

My suggestion is to identify and pinpoint the practices, processes and products that may have gotten you to this point. Make those changes and begin to baby the ends you have now.

I'm of the philosophy that if you continue to cut to get to perfect ends, but you don't stop doing things that are damaging your hair ends, your hair will continue to get short and be damaged.

Practical advice:
  • Figure out what is not good for your hair. Maybe going 4 years without a trim is the issue. Maybe determine and put in practice a more frequent trim schedule AFTER you start to see your ends look better.
  • Put an ends routine in place.
  • Document your progress in photos and in text.
  • Analyze your results and tweak your process.

Aggie

Hi @TamaraShaniece ,
Yes, the Shea butter creates oil stains, in my case because I use a lot. I did not experience dry ends because I first apply water, then Scurl, then Shea butter. This is my process. I never apply Shea by itself. I can't speak to using Shea on its own.

I baggied using a conditioner concoction and vaseline. I kept the baggie on 24 hours, night and day. At night, I loosened the knee-hi around my pony so my ponytail was not tight.

https://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/baggie-method/
@Chicoro, when you say Scurl, do you mean Scurl Moisturizer or Scurl Gel? I hear you use the gel as well but I am unclear if this is the case in here your regimen above. Thanks in advance.

Chicoro

@Chicoro, when you say Scurl, do you mean Scurl Moisturizer or Scurl Gel? I hear you use the gel as well but I am unclear if this is the case in here your regimen above. Thanks in advance.

It's the Scurl Moisturizer in the white bottle with the blue writing!