Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2018

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
My ends are doing pretty good. I haven't noticed any knots or splits, but the real test will be when I get it pressed next month and see how much I have to trim. I'll update with my results.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, too!!!!!

faithVA

My ends are doing pretty good. I haven't noticed any knots or splits, but the real test will be when I get it pressed next month and see how much I have to trim. I'll update with my results.
Oooh, I haven't seen your hair in a while. Looking forward to it.

faithVA

After rinsing out the deep conditioner, I slathered my ends with crisco before putting on my leave-in. The crisco works fine for now. I will use it up and then move on to something else.

My ends are Ok but I am looking for to dusting them at the end of this month. I also think I have some breakage in the center back. Not sure what that is about.

Chicoro

I measured my hair. I am finally getting beyond 2 to 3 countable strands. My hair is reaching beyond 25 inches and there is some real bulk at this new length.

I believe it is due to my consistent Ends Routine. It literally just takes me 2 minutes to do my routine at night, before bed.

I'm able to hold onto my ends. The hope is that when I'm ready to straighten it and trim, the bulk of my hair will be beyond my goal length, and that my ends will have minimal knots and splits.

No matter the outcome, I'm so happy to not be tearing my ends apart every time I do my hair. Because I'm not traumatizing and breaking my ends, atleast in theory, I'm racking up maximum length. I don't care if it's scraggly, either.

LushLox

Please do @faithVA

I'm going to do a good trim by 31st December so I can start 2019 with nice fresh ends.

My ends look fine to be honest, there are no splits but they are a bit thin so I'm going to get rid.

Dee Raven

Hey Ladies,

I wanted to share out my end of the year results. My hair is thriving!! I'm so excited I did this challenge.

Here are my end of 2017 (white shirt) and 2018 (pre and post) comparison pics. As you can see my hair looks way thicker at about the same length.

Attachments

• Jan4pre.jpg
    Jan4pre.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Jan419post.jpg
    Jan419post.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Jan12017post.jpg
    Jan12017post.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 39

Chicoro

Hey Ladies,

I wanted to share out my end of the year results. My hair is thriving!! I'm so excited I did this challenge.

Here are my end of 2017 (white shirt) and 2018 (pre and post) comparison pics. As you can see my hair looks way thicker at about the same length.

It's not just the ends that look different. The hair is darker, shinier and silkier from ROOT to TIP. It looks like your ENTIRE hair strand got the benefits of your end routine.

Here's the regimen of @Dee Raven

Post #193:

"Here's my updated regi, which is pretty much the same as in other posts, but I have a couple new favorite products. I follow the KISS Method

shampoo 1x week with warm/hot water (moisturizing shampoo or deva curl buildup buster)
condition 1x week with warm/hot water (SM Manuka Honey intensive hydration mask or Deva Curl Deep Sea Repair)
detangle with tangle teezer (4 sections)
Style is 99% wng w/
Leave in (SM curl enhancing smoothie)
Eco styler gel

DC rarely (like only after a trip to a place with hard water or before straightening)
Trim 2 - 3 times a year (though this year I boosted it to get my ends in good shape)

My hair, and really more my skin, hates oils. So if yours does too, I highly recommend trying the new Deva curl products that have been coming out. The curl buster is amazing. At first I didn't like it, but because I'm a minimalist I wanted to get through all of my products before I bought more and this product began to make the rotations After a while I noticed that my hair was squeaky clean and felt super light and moisturized. Then I tried the deep sea repair and it is amazing too. Now that I've run out of the Manuka Honey Mask, I'm going to be trying Melt Into Moisture and the Wash Day Wonder for detangling.

Lastly, what my regimen does not include...lots of time. It takes me an hour to wash/condition/detangle/style my HL hair to my liking, and this time includes my shower. I really feel this is so important for consistency throughout the year. I used to take over 3 hours and that was demoralizing and led to me being inconsistent. So avoiding that is super important for my routine."

@Dee Raven
It looks like the thing you did differently for this Ends challenge was to increase your trims? Would that be correct?

Last edited:

Dee Raven

@Dee Raven
It looks like the thing you did differently for this Ends challenge was to increase your trims? Would that be correct?[/QUOTE]

That and I cut more off. This past year I did four trims, every three months and cut off 1 - 2 inches every time and made sure to trim the shorter hairs as much as possible. That helped get rid of the scraggly ends. I was also better about taking my iron supplements and switched over to DevaCurl products almost exclusively. The shininess is in part because I got a new Babyliss flat iron for Xmas (woohoo!) and I started using a new heat protectant this year, Kenra Platinum. But I looked at the pics from Oct where I used my old flat iron and my hair is definitely darker, shinier and thicker.

Thanks @Chicoro for your observations. I wasn't even thinking about what I actually did and this was really helpful for identifying what I need to keep doing in 2019, cough (iron supplements).

Chicoro

@Dee Raven
It looks like the thing you did differently for this Ends challenge was to increase your trims? Would that be correct?

That and I cut more off. This past year I did four trims, every three months and cut off 1 - 2 inches every time and made sure to trim the shorter hairs as much as possible. That helped get rid of the scraggly ends. I was also better about taking my iron supplements and switched over to DevaCurl products almost exclusively. The shininess is in part because I got a new Babyliss flat iron for Xmas (woohoo!) and I started using a new heat protectant this year, Kenra Platinum. But I looked at the pics from Oct where I used my old flat iron and my hair is definitely darker, shinier and thicker.

Thanks @Chicoro for your observations. I wasn't even thinking about what I actually did and this was really helpful for identifying what I need to keep doing in 2019, cough (iron supplements).[/QUOTE]

So more frequent and thoughtful trims, iron supplements, and great quality flat iron and heat protectant!!!!!!

Got it!