Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2019/2020

faithVA

This challenge is for everyone who wants to focus on healthier ends. We know our hair is always growing and that healthy ends are key to retention.

This challenge is for you if you...
1. had healthy ends but damaged them in some way
2. have ends that are dry, brittle, bushy
3. have ends that are thin, breaking or brittle
4. have breakage you just want to get rid of
5. have healthy ends and want to keep them that way
6. or fill in the blank

To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc
2. Current Hair Length
3. Why are you joining this challenge?
4. What have you tried to improve your ends?
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends?
6. Any helpful tips you learned for your fellow challengers...

Optional: Post a picture of your ends

Retention is an ongoing thing so if you join please be committed to updating at least 1x a month.

faithVA

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc : NATURAL

2. Current Hair Length : SL

3. Why are you joining this challenge? : MY ENDS ALWAYS NEED WORK

4. What have you tried to improve your ends? EVERYTHING

a. Do monthly search and destroys
b. Dust every 4 months
c. Seal with pomade/crisco immediately after conditioning and before applying any product
d. Keep my hair in twist
e. Midweek moisturize my ends and reseal with a gel or pomade
f. Eliminate shampoo and only use cleansing conditioners or do mud washes

My ends are better than they were last year this time but I still have work to do.

20181221_174323.jpg
Have been worse but could be better.

Dee Raven

I'm in and I'll try to do better about giving updates. I always forget after the first post.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc - natural
2. Current Hair Length - HL
3. Why are you joining this challenge? I did this challenge for 2018 and my ends are great. So I plan to keep them that way.
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? During the 2018 challenge, I mainly kept my same routine and trimmed a lot to get rid of all of my raggedy ends.
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? I want to keep up my trimming schedule. Once every three months. Now that my ends are healthy, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to just trim like 1/4 - 1/2" every three months, and be able to retain the 4+" for the year. I've also been watching the stylist trim people's hair recently, particularly how they are trim the hairs on the crown that are not as long, so I would like to test that out on myself.

Will be back with the starting pic.

faithVA

I'm in and I'll try to do better about giving updates. I always forget after the first post.

Now that my ends are healthy, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to just trim like 1/4 - 1/2" every three months, and be able to retain the 4+" for the year. I've also been watching the stylist trim people's hair recently, particularly how they are trim the hairs on the crown that are not as long, so I would like to test that out on myself.
What did you learn from watching the stylist?

Dee Raven

I was noticing how they pull the hair up at a slant to be able to trim then ends that are not as long. My crown area is shorter so I'm pretty sure that will help me trim all of my ends. I wasn't sure before if the hair stylist were doing it to give layers, and I think sometimes they are. But I've also notice that it's way when people have breakage or their hair is not all one length.

faithVA

I was noticing how they pull the hair up at a slant to be able to trim then ends that are not as long. My crown area is shorter so I'm pretty sure that will help me trim all of my ends. I wasn't sure before if the hair stylist were doing it to give layers, and I think sometimes they are. But I've also notice that it's way when people have breakage or their hair is not all one length.
Ok Thanks. I have noticed that but didn't understand it.

neika j

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Natural
2. Current Hair Length: shoulder natural / collarbone stretched
3. Why are you joining this challenge? Because my ends are my main problem with my natural hair and i would like the grow my hair out enough to do a big chop and get rid of my ends to cut my hair even all the way around.
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? Rice water, end menders, shea butter the works lol
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? Keep my hair in protective styles , keep it more moisturize and trim them.
6. Any helpful tips you learned for your fellow challengers... : Trim and take vitamins and sleep with a silk scarf.

Retention is an ongoing thing so if you join please be committed to updating at least 1x a month.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Natural
2. Current Hair Length: 25 inches for bulk (Tailbone), 26 inches for a few hairs
3. Why are you joining this challenge? I had great success in 2018! I want to continue.
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? N/A
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? My ends are healthy. I want to keep them healthy. My four (4) staple processes are:
  • Whipped Shea butter
  • Ends Routine (every night)
  • No Comb Method
  • Baggie 3.0
6. Any helpful tips you learned for your fellow challengers... Too many to list!

Optional: Post a picture of your ends (Taken October 30th, 2018)

EndsOct30th2018 D.JPG

Last edited:

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
Natural
2. Current Hair Length -
15-16 inches
3. Why are you joining this challenge? To treat my ends better, so that they can be less rough and less breakage prone. Also hope to gain some thickness in my ends, and increase length retention.
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? Butters, Oils, and the baggy method.
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? All of the above.
6. Any helpful tips you learned for your fellow challengers...Low manipulation is key.

Attachments

• 5FEF300E-CE6E-46EE-9CF1-A41B0DC562A2.jpeg
    5FEF300E-CE6E-46EE-9CF1-A41B0DC562A2.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 864E0C0B-69C8-40CE-A699-3BA2E8637488.png
    864E0C0B-69C8-40CE-A699-3BA2E8637488.png
    963 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Chicoro

Kerabeads:

Kerabead products combine the targeted delivery benefits of microcapsules with our unique keratin-based wall chemistry that targets hair damage. Kerabead contains zero formaldehyde or reactive cross-linkers, and is formed from natural wool keratin and seaweed extracts. Micron-sized and flexible, kerabeads give hair healthy shine and amazing softness.
Watch kerabeads spontaneously repair a split-end here:

I am decluttering and I found a bottle of this product in my secret [even to me] stash. I met the owner at a hair symposium in New Jersey.

First four ingredients:
  1. water
  2. dimethicone
  3. shea oil
  4. alginate
I think this product is good if you have a photo shoot and your hair is heat straightened and you have damaged ends. It will 'repair' the ends of the hair so the hair turns out great looking in the photo. But it is not a solution, just a temporary fix, as is any ends repair product.

But, the only real way to get rid of splits is to cut the hair. Thus, ideally, it is best to avoid getting split ends by nurturing and protecting the hair. Easy to say. Hard to do.

To 2019 and beautiful, full ends!

Last edited:

faithVA

2018 was not a good year for growth or retention for me :sad But it was a good year for developing my regimen and improving the health of my hair. I still have splits but my hair is so much healthier than it was in the past 2 years. :yay: After I dusted my ends last night and twisted my hair up, my twist looked so full, shiny and healthy.

I feel optimistic about my ends for 2019. I think the following strategy will help me have the best retention every for next year.

1. Starting with fresh ends and with fewer splits than I have had in years.

2. Immediately coat my ends with Castor Oil or Crisco or pomade while my ends are still extremely wet.

3. Eliminate shampoo and stick with cleansing conditioners which should reduce the dryness in my hair.

4. Keep my hair up in twist as usual.

5. Moisture my 2 strand twists with leave-in and water dampened hands every 2 to 3 days or dampen the ends of my twists and then resealing with a stiff gel.

7. Apply a stiffer gel after installing 2 strand twists to provide a better seal

8. Blow dry with my RevAir on cool and to stretch my ends but without drying out my hair.

9. Only dust with my split ender
10. Never manipulate my hair without either applying a leave-in or a conditioner for prepoo.
11. LOC with leave-in, light oil and moisturizer mixed with leave-in

2019 I'm ready for you.

Chicoro

By the way, because of this thread I have reached a milestone first: My ends are virtually knot and split free. This have NEVER been the case for me, unless my hair is freshly trimmed. My hair has not been trimmed in at least 6 months. I've not had a cut since 2014. I posted in the Shea butter thread already.

The last 4 inches of my hair used to be bluish-gray. It was NOT from color. It was because my ends were so horribly dry, damaged and weathered. It has taken me YEARS and YEARS to finally get here. I know how to cut my hair to have perfect ends. That is not my goal. My goal is to be able to nurture and maintain knot free hair strands WITHOUT a trim.

I still have knots and splits. The difference is that they are NOT on EVERY single strand like they were in the past. Photos posted one more time:

The long view of the dried bantu knot (no SCURL). Unbraided and did bantu the night before.
HairNoKnots4.JPG

The photos that follow are the very ends of that bantu.
HairNoKnots1.JPG

HairNoKnots3.JPG

HairNoKnots5.JPG

Last edited:

LushLox

To join, post
Relaxed

2. Current Hair Length
In between APL and BSL, APL when I trim

Because ends are the most important part of hair and the healthier they are the more I will retain

Regular moisture and sealing has really improved them.

Regular trims plus the above

Aggie

I am so in this challenge since I've been protective styling to get my BSL length back after a demi-permanent mishap this and last year.

To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc - I am natural as of July 31st, 2018

2. Current Hair Length - touching CBL

3. Why are you joining this challenge? Need my length back - I am trying to regain my BSL length before all the damage.

4. What have you tried to improve your ends? Protective styling, heavy moisturizing and sealing, weekly to bi-weekly deep conditioning, henna once a month and herbal rinses 2-3 times per week on braided hair.

5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? Just not touch them and keep them covered and away from the elements until my desired length is achieved. I will trim no more than twice in 2019.

6. Any helpful tips you learned for your fellow challengers... Simplicity is key to great lengths. Seriously all the band wagons are not necessary. believe me, I've tried many. Find what your hair likes and stick to it, then stop everything else that's too extra. Scalp massages actually works for faster hair growth and simply protect those ends; sleep on satin or silk pillows and/or cap on your hair.

Last edited:

My-Foolish-Heart

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Natural, but will be relaxing on January 4th
2. Current Hair Length: A little past SL
3. Why are you joining this challenge?: One of my biggest challenges when I was relaxed was my ends. This time around, I want to make sure I pay more attention to them
4. What have you tried to improve your ends?: I tried bagging, but I think it was too much for my fine hair
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends?: Moisturizing and sealing on a consistent basis, silk pillowcase (I'm a rough sleeper), regular trims/dusting

GGsKin

I'm in.
Natural
2. Current Hair Length
APL
Gotta keep these ends up and and in good condition in order to retain what I grow and this challenge always holds me to account.
Baggying. Oil rinses. Regular dusting (kind of dropping this as I think it makes uneven growth/ retention a persistent 'problem'). Search & destroy of ssk. Sealing my ends (and usually most if not all of my length) with Shea butter mixes. Trimming straightened hair. Wearing my hair up more often.
All of the above, minus the regular dusting. Although, I will cut splits when I see them. I'm not trying to search for knots either but will cut if I feel them.
I'm not strict with myself at all and so still do things I believe are detrimental to my ends- like leaving them out to the elements, especially once warmer weather hits. I'm hard-headed and am trying to find a balance between doing what I want and doing what I must, in order to retain my growth.

2018-12-31_16.31.06.jpg

LushLox

I just took 1.5 inches off. Starting the new year afresh.

I love having freshly trimmed hair, the hair always looks so much better!

I used my spray moisturiser, some cream and oil to seal and just pinned my hair up and wrapped in my scarf. My hair feels great!

Aggie

Cowashed with some APB Pumpkin DC and Banyan Botanicals Bhringraj Oil mixture - (this is a major hit by the way) and final rinsed with my diy herbal tea rinse - left in the latter.

I really like the shine of my hair at the moment. I am about to massage some Castor Argan drops on my scalp and head to bed.

Chicoro

I'm in.
Natural
2. Current Hair Length
APL
Gotta keep these ends up and and in good condition in order to retain what I grow and this challenge always holds me to account.
Baggying. Oil rinses. Regular dusting (kind of dropping this as I think it makes uneven growth/ retention a persistent 'problem'). Search & destroy of ssk. Sealing my ends (and usually most if not all of my length) with Shea butter mixes. Trimming straightened hair. Wearing my hair up more often.
All of the above, minus the regular dusting. Although, I will cut splits when I see them. I'm not trying to search for knots either but will cut if I feel them.
I'm not strict with myself at all and so still do things I believe are detrimental to my ends- like leaving them out to the elements, especially once warmer weather hits. I'm hard-headed and am trying to find a balance between doing what I want and doing what I must, in order to retain my growth.

View attachment 440539

I see NO SPLITS and I see NO KNOTS! Those ends look good!

Daina

Ok starting info...Natural between waist and hip length. Last year's challenge made me cognizant of my ends and understanding they are the key to retention. Using a modified @Chicoro ends regimen where every 2-3 days spray ends with warm water, slather with DIY whipped shea or Alikay Naturals shea parfait(first ingredient is shea butter) and apply some DIY chebe oil. New for 2019 will be trimming in twists...trying to limit heat this year to only 2x.

Aggie

I used both BM Grease and my premixed Shea butter blend to seal in my herbal tea rinse tonight.

I still have about 3 lbs of shea butter to use up and most likely will be making my new SB purchase from www.3cayg.com when I run very low.

This was even better than the BM grease by itself. I think this will be my heavy sealant combo moving forward. I really like how my hair felt.

Chicoro

I used both BM Grease and my premixed Shea butter blend to seal in my herbal tea rinse tonight.

I still have about 3 lbs of shea butter to use up and most likely will be making my new SB purchase from www.3cayg.com when I run very low.

This was even better than the BM grease by itself. I think this will be my heavy sealant combo moving forward. I really like how my hair felt.

What is BM grease? I am glad to hear this combination is working for you. Sometimes Shea butter leaves a gray, dull cast when mixed with petroleum based oil. Is BM petroleum based? This is good to know.

Aggie

What is BM grease? I am glad to hear this combination is working for you. Sometimes Shea butter leaves a gray, dull cast when mixed with petroleum based oil. Is BM petroleum based? This is good to know.
It's Blue Magic Grease @Chicoro. The gray cast doesn't really matter now since I am protective styling for the whole year this year. I cover it up and let it marinate under a cap and my hair ends up juicy soft.

I call this method very heavy moisturizing and sealing. Something water-based always goes on first however. It really works for me. And yes, it is petroleum based. I never put the grease on my scalp, just from mid-shaft to the ends of my hair.

My wash and deep conditioning experience this morning was effortless since this combination had my hair so soft. I will be repeating it maybe tonight or tomorrow night latest.

Chicoro

It's Blue Magic Grease @Chicoro. The gray cast doesn't really matter now since I am protective styling for the whole year this year. I cover it up and let it marinate under a cap and my hair ends up juicy soft.

I call this method very heavy moisturizing and sealing. Something water-based always goes on first however. It really works for me. And yes, it is petroleum based. I never put the grease on my scalp, just from mid-shaft to the ends of my hair.

My wash and deep conditioning experience this morning was effortless since this combination had my hair so soft. I will be repeating it maybe tonight or tomorrow night latest.

This is good to know--- was a comment to myself! Meaning, it's good to know grease and Shea are mixing nicely together! Based on your experience that you've shared with us here. Thanks for clarifying!

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc Natural
2. Current Hair Length Shoulder Length
3. Why are you joining this challenge? I cut my hair from bra strap length to shoulder length in September to give myself a fresh start. So I want to start fresh and really baby my ends to retain length.
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? nothing consistent
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? seal them with a hair butter every night