Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2019/2020

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I undid my braids and put my hair in bantus to get ready to wash. That was my intention but that did not happen. So, I'll have to rebraid on Monday and wait until the following weekend to wash my hair. I don't like rushing my hair washing process.

There is NO CRUNCH on the ends of my hair! My ends continue to be smooth and relatively knot free. The hair on the ends is actually soft. I don't have any tangles, like I did even as recent as in Fall 2018.

When in braids, I continue to do my 4 step routine:

1. Shea butter from root to tip of hair
  2. No Comb Method
  3. Ends Routine every night
  4. Baggie 3.0 Method w/ Stretched Ends (NEW! since Sept/Oct 2018)

Aggie

Tonight:

-Prepooing overnight with JMonique's Dead Sea Mud Hair Wash.

Tomorrow:

-Shampooing with Keracare Detangling Moisturizing Shampoo
-Deep Conditioning with Keracare 5 in 1 Reconstructor (Protein)
-Followed with Kerastase Chroma Active Deep Conditioner (Moisture)
-Leave-in - Redken Extreme Anti Snap
-M/S SCurl Jherri Juice sealed with BM Grease and my Shea Butter blend

Chicoro

They were...I had them pinned up all last week, up until this morning. I wore a braidout, half up/ half down today.

I've just finished braiding the bottom half back up. The ends are in a bantu knot.

How are your ends looking and feeling?

GGsKin

How are your ends looking and feeling?

Since I've straightened, there were a few ends of strands snapping off here and there when I've been manipulating. I've gone through my shorter top layers tonight and dusted off the start of some splits I could see on single strands, as well as some ssk (max 2cms from ends). Overall, my ends look uneven but feel smooth, and I've not had much tangling, if any.

Chicoro

Since I've straightened, there were a few ends of strands snapping off here and there when I've been manipulating. I've gone through my shorter top layers tonight and dusted off the start of some splits I could see on single strands, as well as some ssk (max 2cms from ends). Overall, my ends look uneven but feel smooth, and I've not had much tangling, if any.

It sounds like you are progressing and eliminating knots and splits on a consistent basis. Good!

faithVA

For a little while, I'm trying water rinsing, conditioning and then twisting my hair up every other day. I did tonight and then put the crisco on the ends. I think I may need to comb my ends before I twist them up though. They are just super curly and I think they are just knotting up even while I'm twisting them.

Aggie

Used my herbal tea rinse this morning on my scalp, tonight I used on my hair - Luster's SCurl Moisturizer, B&B More Moisture Hair Cream, diy Shea Butter blend and Blue Magic Grease to seal tonight.

Chicoro

I pre-pooed, washed and deep conditioned my hair with heat. There were three AHA's for tonight.Only one was totally new:

1. NEW! Water shrinks my hair, not glycerine: It's not the glycerine in my SCURL or Pre-poo that draws up my hair. It's the water in the SCURL and the water in the aloe vera pre-poo that make my hair draw up. I did a hot oil and glycerine pre-poo on [mostly] dry, dirty hair. My braids were super elongated and they were hanging without drawing up. I started my wash late so I didn't want to stop to take photos or take the time to gaze in the mirror and play.
  2. Castor Oil for my ends: I switched over to a ceramide oil to coat my ends. I used sunflower oil. Although it made my hair gorgeously soft, my braids started to unravel. Unraveled braids create tangles and breakage on my head. So, I see now that castor oil works best for my ends.
  3. I dictate my trims: My ends are still pretty much knot free and tangle free. My hair no longer tells me when I need to trim. I can trim or decide not to trim based upon 'my' whims, not hair's demands.

Last edited:

Aggie

This morning I poured my new batch of herbal tea rinse on my hair and scalp.

This afternoon, I Heavy moisturized and sealed with SCurl Curl Moisturizer, B&B More Moisture, shea butter and BM Grease.

neika j

*updated i have a bad protein situation lol i cut of like 3 inches of ends ..BUT! on the bright side these where super dead ends that felt very fried and i was going to cut it off at the end of the year and now i can start 2019 with even cut hair and healthier ends.

faithVA

I'm rinsing and conditioning every 2 days during this dry winter weather and then coating my ends with Crisco. My ends seemed a little smoother today. Will re-evaluate in 2 more weeks.

FoxxyLocs

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc Natural
2. Current Hair Length grazing TBL
3. Why are you joining this challenge? Have some damage to get rid of, need to stop being lazy with my ends
4. What have you tried to improve your ends? I just have to make sure not to let my ends tangle
5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends? Adding castor oil to my ends as part of my wash and go, press twice a year to assess my progress, no more twists
6. Any helpful tips you learned for your fellow challengers... I get the most damage from SSKs when my ends get tangled. Twists are the worst.

I know that my thin ends last year came from wearing twists. Whenever I wear them I have to put rollers on my ends to stretch them (which I didn't do). I wore wash and go's a lot last year but I wasn't seeing a lot of SSKs from that. I'll see how it goes this year. I'm planning to get another trim in June or July so I can see how I'm doing.

ETA: Starting pic as requested

AA6172D0-A1AD-4E3B-809A-2A6919F09F68.jpeg

Last edited:

Chicoro

So, @FoxxyLocs , you are not going to post that GORGEOUS starting picture in your post #52, to show us [really me ] your starting point after your recent trim? Don't do us like that!

Chicoro

Okay, I took some photos of my very sexy [NOT!] hair style I have to protect my ends at night. This is part of my beloved Ends Routine. I keep talking about this all the time.

That is because I am able to preserve every bit of growth I get. And, this a huge part of why my hair is no longer chronically dry on the ends. I try to never let my ends get completely 'dry'. Everything does not work for everyone, though. Perhaps something about my process might prove helpful in some way for your hair.

Ends Routine: A 2 Minute Process!

• I wet the last half of every braid with warm water.
  • Then, I saturate the braids with castor oil. My hair is already juiced with SCURL and Shea butter.
  • I gather braids at the top of my head and wrap them around into a bun.
  • Then I secure with a knee-hi.
  • Then I put my baggie I used during the day over the bun and secure with another knee-hi. Sometimes one knee-hi does the trick.
  • Then, I put a bonnet over my whole head. The bonnet tends not to stay on my head the entire night.
When I wake up, see how even the front is nice and neat and 'laid'! My ends can sometimes be a little 'gummy'. But it works for me because I don't wear my hair out. I've been bagging since October 2018. I have been putting my ends up in a bun for going on a year or so. BUT, I didn't start bagging them regularly like this until around October 2018 [ I think.]

NightProtection.JPG NightProtection2.JPG

Last edited:

Chicoro

I didn't want to be posting it all over the forum, lol.

POST THAT PHOTO!!!!!

Ps: Posting in just two places is not all over the forum. If you can't toot your hair horn on this form, where else can you? Toot toot!

Besides, I have no shame in stealing a posted photo from one thread to post in another thread. Let's keep me honest and post those gorgeous photos....so I don't have to be reduced to stealing.:badgirl: Me

@FoxxyLocs !

Last edited:

Chicoro

Look at @FoxxyLocs hair. Yes! And that's her STARTING point!

People pay hundreds if not even thousands of dollars to have hair like you have [grown naturally]. Your photo shows your success. More importantly, it helps to inspire and give others hope. People know if you are on this site, they can at least ask you how you did it. Potentially, having the possibility to have access to someone with such gorgeous hair is incredibly exciting and an incredible gift!

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

Look at @FoxxyLocs hair. Yes! And that's her STARTING point!

People pay hundreds if not even thousands of dollars to have hair like you have [grown naturally]. Your photo shows your success. More importantly, it helps to inspire and give others hope. People know if you are on this site, they can at least ask you how you did it. Potentially, having the possibility to have access to someone with such gorgeous hair is incredibly exciting and an incredible gift!

Aww thanks so much! If anyone has questions, ask away. In threads or DM me. I love to talk hair. :infatuated: