Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

ThatJerseyGirl

Count me in!!!! I'd like to know who is using Vaseline or some type of Pomade on their ends to seal in moisture and tuck them away?

Speaking of which, @Chicoro -- here is my girl, FaithVA? I'm going to go back and read the other threads on healthy ends. I have some catching up to do. I think I'll post a pic of my hair once I remove this weave in January.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Count me in!!!! I'd like to know who is using Vaseline or some type of Pomade on their ends to seal in moisture and tuck them away?

Speaking of which, @Chicoro -- here is my girl, FaithVA? I'm going to go back and read the other threads on healthy ends. I have some catching up to do. I think I'll post a pic of my hair once I remove this weave in January.

Welcome @ThatJerseyGirl! Once you check in this thread, you can't check out! Welcome! Looking forward to seeing those ends! :camera::click::click:

Chicoro

Wait a minute, you are the original Shea butter Queen. Isn’t that blasphemy to even consider pomade when you got Queen Shea at your disposal, for those hair ends?

Chicoro

Olaplex No. 0 needs to stop playing with my emotions. Which bottle is the recent one? I HATE that squeeze dispenser bottle. I saw the spray dispenser today and snatched it up immediately. I've got ends to grow, luscious and long. That squeeze bottle is NOT serving my journey right now. Anybody know if that spray dispenser bottle is here to stay? I see that the spray bottle is re-fillable so I'm keeping that safe for now. If I determine they are not selling that anymore, I'll just use it over and over.

Attachments

• Olaplex dispensers.jpg
    Olaplex dispensers.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Chicoro

I didn't know if the styles I wear would suit this thread. But as of now I'm wearing braids under a wig. I would like to retain all my length this year coming. If my boyfriend doesn't mind I may wear wigs all year.

Of course, your style suits this thread. Girl, you want me to have a chat with your boyfriend? You tell him you trying to make you some fine wine: Yourself!

Chicoro

gol
Here's my picture. I hadn't straightened in 10 years, I knew my ends were probably a little scraggly but I had no idea it was this bad. Are my ends salvageable or am I looking at a chop?

Thank you for posting your photo. Unless your ends are knotted and split, I wouldn't chop ANYTHING right now. You see, freshly cut ends are like a treasure chest. They are golden and valuable. But, if you are still learning how to nurture your ends, it may not be possible to optimize the beauty of those fresh ends.

What I see when I look at your hair are strands that fall all the way down to your waist. That tells me that at some future point you can have full, even hair at waist length.

I do not think those ends are salvagable as in you can hold them there until the rest catches up. That is only because anytime you have hair that is 3 or 4 inches longer than the majority or bulk of the hair, those ends are very likely to break off because they are too vulnerable and fragile due to hanging at that length by themselves. The more hair you have at the same lengths, the more likely you can retain that hair.

If it were me, I would start focusing on my ends to try to ensure I knew how to baby and nurture them. That means modifying my processes and documenting with pictures and notes on what is working, neutral and problematic for my hair. Once I determined and found what was making my hair and ends thrive, seeing progressing every month for three months, then I would retain those things working for me in my routine. You will know that the routine is working if the hair starts to become softer, shinier, more manageable and begins to gain noticeable length, even if that length is just a few strands dropping longer.

At THAT point, I would get a trim and even up my hair. Why?
  1. You've developed a routine that is solid and beneficial to your hair.
  2. You've had time to psychologically sit with and mentally prepare yourself to release some of the length.
  3. You've got a process down that purposefully nurtures and focuses on the ends.
  4. You've learned a way to optimize and protect those priceless, freshly cut ends for the future.
  5. You can prepare yourself for maximum growth because you know how to preserve the hair strand and structure from the inside out.
  6. You have saturated your mind and belief with the knowledge that you can grow your hair to your waist with full, healthy ends.
If you cut your ends today, and you don't have a good Ends Routine, you will just be risking and practicing on those precious, freshly cut, priceless new ends.

I say hold off from trimming for just three (3) more months. I think by then, with conscious effort and diligent process modifications, you will arrive at a great routine that includes nurturing and optimizing your ends. It is not going to happen automatically. You have to be diligent and conscious making and implementing modifications.

Wait three months and work on your process. Then, revisit trimming in March of 2022!

Last edited:

Chicoro

@naturaldoll ,

My ends would be considered scraggly, too. But, for the most part they are not knotted and split. My process is to baby my ends and try to ensure the hair strand does not get a lot of damage. I plan on blowing my hair out and trimming in August-September 2022.

But I know for my hair I absolutely can't wear things like braid-outs, twist outs and/or wash and go's. I wear my little granny braided bun. That's what....9 months from now, right?

It's like I take my hair through re-birth cycles! It takes about 9 months to make a new baby. I look forward to seeing the transformation and re-birth of my hair at the end of this designated time frame.

I have always found that once one makes a mental shift, about what you are determined to see your hair like in the future, with some hard work, faith and hope and support from your community, us in this thread, things will fall into place!

ThatJerseyGirl

lololol @Check out lolol...I won't. PROMISE.
Wait a minute, you are the original Shea butter Queen. Isn’t that blasphemy to even consider pomade when you got Queen Shea at your disposal, for those hair ends?

Just seeing this lolololol.....omg....I know! Let me get your opinion on different hair cuts in an effort to figure out why do we have to continue to get trims so frequently.

From my research, it is my understanding that if you cut your hair in a blunt cut (straight across), over time, the hair is more prone to splits as opposed to a tapered trim. What are your thoughts?

Chicoro

lololol @Check out lolol...I won't. PROMISE.

Just seeing this lolololol.....omg....I know! Let me get your opinion on different hair cuts in an effort to figure out why do we have to continue to get trims so frequently.

From my research, it is my understanding that if you cut your hair in a blunt cut (straight across), over time, the hair is more prone to splits as opposed to a tapered trim. What are your thoughts?
That is absolutely correct! That is because of the theoretical force at the end of the hair. As the comb teeth go through, the hair wraps around itself, other hair and the teeth of the comb creating tension. If the hair is tapered, it is less force. Evenly cut hair will have 3x the force. I still prefer the beauty of blunt cuts, though!

Chicoro

*Whistles hello into cyberspace to get her attention.*

@IDareT'sHair, What you doing girl? You gearing up and getting ready? To not leave? Because that's your only option. @IDareT'sHair is dodging in and out liking posts. Those dodges 'out' are futile and temporary. You bounce in and you can bounce out, but you can't bounce away. We got you.

Chicoro

Woo Whooo! Hello!!!!!!

@caribeandiva, I was just WAITING for you to take the bait. I knew it was just a matter of time before you poked that pretty nose of yours up in this thread. I GOT'Choo! So go on and surrender and bring you fine, statuesque self up in this thread, Girl. Ain't nobody playing.

Last edited:

Chicoro

If you all are mad about me calling you and trapping you in this thread, let me tell you something..

*Whispers in a loud voice while pointing finger in @Mapleoats direction* ....

It's @Mapleoats fault. Blame her.

She was like, "Chicoro if you do it, I will join."

Welp, here it is and ya'll trying to sneak and escape. Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it.

And I can assure you, ALL of you are going to get 'it'. Bwahaha !

Chicoro

Know Thy Growth and Length Gain Pattern!

Hair Length Comparison Jan 14th vs Dec 5th, 2021

This is one year's growth after my hair dropped to new, longer lengths starting January 2021. As you can see, the section that is long has gotten thicker. In fact it has doubled in thickness.

I would even go as far to say that it looks like it might have dropped another 1/2 to 1 inch in length, too. It looks like I really am saving every bit of growth I'm getting.

Some people would say that I am holding on to scraggly ends. I don't care. But I mention the scraggly ends comment to emphasize that you MUST learn your own hair growing pattern. This is why I take care of my hair myself as well. I like to grow my hair PAST my goal length, then go get it done and have a professional trim. That is because I know no matter what my length or health is, when I get my hair done, the person is for sure going to cut something off.
I look at like negotiating. You pick a price you want to buy at, but you start off lower. So when the seller bids you up, you arrive at the price you wanted all along.

I never go to get my hair done when I am barely at my goal length. If I do, I will feel like my length has been 'cut' off or taken away. So I grow a minimum of 2 inches past what I consider to be a growth milestone. When I get back home after a professional trim, most times I retain that growth milestone!

Back to what happening with my photos below.
It takes my hair a minimum of 9 months to thicken at a new length. The longer it gets, the longer it takes for all my hair to become the same length, or the longer it takes for the bulk/majority of my hair to get to the same length. If I were to cut back my hair because it looked thin, my hair would stay at the same length. I think my hair is going to need another 9 to 12 months to have full ends at this length. So as to preserve the growth I currently have, and not lose it to splits, knots or breakage or weathering in general, it is important to have an Ends Routine. Hence, I am on this Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge for 2022!

Attachments

• Hair Length Check Comparison Jan 14 vs Dec 5th 2021.png
    Hair Length Check Comparison Jan 14 vs Dec 5th 2021.png
    473.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
Woo Whooo! Hello!!!!!!

@caribeandiva, I was just WAITING for you to take the bait. I knew it was just a matter of time before you poked that pretty nose of yours up in this thread. I GOT'Choo! So go on and surrender and bring you fine, statuesque self up in this thread, Girl. Ain't nobody playing.
I actually took the bait 3 days ago! :lol: From your response to @naturaldoll about her ends in the shea butter thread. Then someone mentioned your response to her in another thread. I was like: what other thread? I poked around and found this thread (or last year’s thread). I’ve been lurking in here. So much info! I was waiting to do my yearly straightening/length check before officially joining.