Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

Lylddlebit

Hello Ladies. Here is my end of the year cut. I planned on cutting to mid-back to have perfect ends but I ended up cutting to waist and saw improvement so I paused here. In 2023 I am no longer calling my ends "less than luscious". I have no doubts that my ends will fully be in effect by the end of 2023.
The white sweater is my hair before the cut. The yellow jumpsuit is my hair after hair cut.

ETA: aded a second photo of the back. It is a picture of the same trim but after wearing it out all day and some of the product wearing off of my clothes.

Attachments

• EndsFront.jpg
    EndsFront.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 68
  • EndsBack.jpg
    EndsBack.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 60
  • PreTrim.jpg
    PreTrim.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 58
  • SAME TRIM MORE ACCURATE PHOTO..jpg
    SAME TRIM MORE ACCURATE PHOTO..jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Unfortunately, I was rotating 3 harsh sulfate-based dandruff shampoos for a few years before I realized they were the culprit.
I was leaving them on for 15min before washing out! :eek:
Slowly, the ends to midshafts were becoming dry as hay, until they were not absorbing any moisture--- even when wet! I finally had to chop off several inches. Now, I'm keeping it short, until all the damaged strands have grown out. I've stopped all dandruff shampoos, using only moisturizing, sulfate-free ones. Started Olaplex religiously.
My hair is 90% better now, I would say. Moisturizes and styles easily. I'm happy with that, but super sad at the amount of progress I had to chop off.
What you chopped off was ‘practice’! That hair allowed you to learn and understand. You’ve got a fresh slate of healthy hair. More importantly, you’ve got a head full of knowledge and experience of what works definitively. With that stated, if it’s something you want, we’ll see you at waist length! You’ll get back that ‘progress’ sooner than later because now you know what works for you, what to do and what not to do!

Chicoro

Hello Ladies. Here is my end of the year cut. I planned on cutting to mid-back to have perfect ends but I ended up cutting to waist and saw improvement so I paused here. In 2023 I am no longer calling my ends "less than luscious". I have no doubts that my ends will fully be in effect by the end of 2023.
The white sweater is my hair before the cut. The yellow jumpsuit is my hair after hair cut.

ETA: aded a second photo of the back. It is a picture of the same trim but after wearing it out all day and some of the product wearing off of my clothes.
Glad you only trimmed back a little. You hair looks great!

Plushottie

Thicc and fione

Such a pretty head of hair.

caribeandiva

Human being

Gorgeous! I’m so inspired!

faithVA

Okay, so I've spotted the culprit in my breakage and lack of retention on my ends: Shampoo!!

My problem is after shampooing. Shampoo leaves my ends velcro, dried up, brittle and tangling. Hence the breakage and lack of length retention. I MUST address the tangles and try to minimize the 'Velcro Hair Ends at the beginning of my wash and condition process.

• Prepoo- Leaves my hair and ends feeling great!
    • Warmed oil on dirty hair.​
      • Oil removes shedded hair easier​
      • Breaks down the product buildup that creates tangles​
      • Can thoroughly detangle hair at the front end of the process.​

• Flax Seed Gel put on over oiled hair.​
      • Gives hair tremendous slip.​
      • Hair lays down and tangles gentle come out.​
  • Shampoo - The CULPRIT!! The Problem!
    • Leaves hair tangled and with velcro feeling ends.​
    • Leaves hair matted even if I braid my hair up when I wash it.​
    • Conflict is that I like to cleanse my hair with shampoo. Will continue to use shampoo.​
  • Oil Rinse - The FIX!!!! The Solution!
    • Use 1 simple, natural oil that is warmed up. (No silicone mixes or junk oils with mineral oil)
    • Hair returns IMMEDIATELY to pre-poo softness and manageability.
    • Ends become soft and slippery again
  • Deep Condition with Heat for 15 minutes (Dryer tube attachment tore last week. Need another option!)
    • Add Shea butter to conditoner​
    • Add oil to conditioner​
    • Add honey to conditioner​
    • Next time (New!): Plan to add salt (sodium chloride table soft) to conditioner to help with 'softening hair'​
  • Continue with Baggie Method with Gooped on Vaseline

After adding the salt, I don't think I will be tweaking my regimen. When I do Aphogee 2 Step, which will be every 6 to 8 weeks, I'll do it right after the shampooing step. After Aphogee 2 Step I'll go right back and follow the same process as listed above.

I think this routine will carry me through the next 10 months until July 2023.
What shampoo are you using? It may not be shampoo in general, it may just be the shampoo you are using. The shampoo doesn't sound like it is returning your hair to the proper ph balance and re-adding the moisture you need.

Do you shampoo twice? If so try the shampoo you have now for the 1st shampoo and then follow with a more moisturizing shampoo for the second.

I was able to drop the oil rinse when I used two different shampoos for my shampoo process and it stopped the breakage I had been having for years.

Chicoro

What shampoo are you using? It may not be shampoo in general, it may just be the shampoo you are using. The shampoo doesn't sound like it is returning your hair to the proper ph balance and re-adding the moisture you need.

Do you shampoo twice? If so try the shampoo you have now for the 1st shampoo and then follow with a more moisturizing shampoo for the second.

I was able to drop the oil rinse when I used two different shampoos for my shampoo process and it stopped the breakage I had been having for years.
Thank you for this information!

secretdiamond

Just a word of caution, I tried that: using shampoos that seemed drying for the 1st lather (dandruff), then following up with a super moisturizing, ph-balanced cream conditioner cleanse/shampoo. Because I've seen that countless times, I thought I was mitigating any potential damage. And maybe I did, which is why it took so long to completely dry out my strands, but it still happened. My advice is best to avoid these altogether and maybe use a gentle clarifying shampoo once every few months or if there is build up.

snoop

I can tell my ends need trimming. They're starting to act up in the way that they do when they need to be taken care of with the scissors.

In January, I schedule my trims for the year. I just set the calendar even to occur every 3 months. My calendar is saying that my final trim for 2022 is supposed to be next week, but I'm going to try to postpone it to as close to NYE as possible.

I finally trimmed my ends. I tried something different, again. Normally, I install mini twists and then cut off enough hair to cover the length of my first thumb joint. The last time I trimmed, I did it with wet hair, but just trimmed small coils of hair. This time, I took off more by combining both methods: Under running water, I stretched my loose hair section by section and trimmed off one thumb length of hair. It kind of felt like a lot, but my ends should be good now.

DVAntDany

Okay, so I've spotted the culprit in my breakage and lack of retention on my ends: Shampoo!!

My problem is after shampooing. Shampoo leaves my ends velcro, dried up, brittle and tangling. Hence the breakage and lack of length retention. I MUST address the tangles and try to minimize the 'Velcro Hair Ends at the beginning of my wash and condition process.

• Prepoo- Leaves my hair and ends feeling great!
    • Warmed oil on dirty hair.​
      • Oil removes shedded hair easier​
      • Breaks down the product buildup that creates tangles​
      • Can thoroughly detangle hair at the front end of the process.​

• Flax Seed Gel put on over oiled hair.​
      • Gives hair tremendous slip.​
      • Hair lays down and tangles gentle come out.​
  • Shampoo - The CULPRIT!! The Problem!
    • Leaves hair tangled and with velcro feeling ends.​
    • Leaves hair matted even if I braid my hair up when I wash it.​
    • Conflict is that I like to cleanse my hair with shampoo. Will continue to use shampoo.​
  • Oil Rinse - The FIX!!!! The Solution!
    • Use 1 simple, natural oil that is warmed up. (No silicone mixes or junk oils with mineral oil)
    • Hair returns IMMEDIATELY to pre-poo softness and manageability.
    • Ends become soft and slippery again
  • Deep Condition with Heat for 15 minutes (Dryer tube attachment tore last week. Need another option!)
    • Add Shea butter to conditoner​
    • Add oil to conditioner​
    • Add honey to conditioner​
    • Next time (New!): Plan to add salt (sodium chloride table soft) to conditioner to help with 'softening hair'​
  • Continue with Baggie Method with Gooped on Vaseline

After adding the salt, I don't think I will be tweaking my regimen. When I do Aphogee 2 Step, which will be every 6 to 8 weeks, I'll do it right after the shampooing step. After Aphogee 2 Step I'll go right back and follow the same process as listed above.

I think this routine will carry me through the next 10 months until July 2023.
I might try the oil rinsing one day. I can easily get velcro ends too. I'd probably do it for a quick wash when I don't have fifty-leven hours to shampoo my hair thoroughly.

The worst shampoo I thought I ever tried has been Biolage Clean Reset Clarifying shampoo followed by Redken Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Detox Shampoo. It makes my hair feel gross and tangled. It left my hair with a weird dry brillo texture. Everything I used after it worked horribly. I thought that it was just a bad shampoo that didn't agree with my hair.

When I started using heavy polyquat products, the shampoos I loved started doing the same thing. I started having the same problem with moisturizing and detangling shampoos like Innersense Hydrating Hair Bath and Curls Blueberry Bliss Reparative Hair Wash. I think its how the shampoo lifts the product from my hair, but can't fully remove it. I had to shampoo multiple times or try stronger shampoos to get back my hair's natural feeling. It's scary to want to use a "bad" shampoo multiple times and risk turning your hair into a bird's nest. I assure you it works...at least for me.

I don't ever use straight shea nowadays, but back in the day I did. Black soap was the shampoo everyone suggested then and it took it all off. You might want to try a different shampoo if you have a chance. There is no telling which one will work best to easily remove shea butter and vaseline from your hair. I say that because my mom slathers on Murray's Superior Hair Dressing Pomade regularly and has no issues with the Biolage Shampoo. In fact, it's one of her favorites.

faithVA

Just a word of caution, I tried that: using shampoos that seemed drying for the 1st lather (dandruff), then following up with a super moisturizing, ph-balanced cream conditioner cleanse/shampoo. Because I've seen that countless times, I thought I was mitigating any potential damage. And maybe I did, which is why it took so long to completely dry out my strands, but it still happened. My advice is best to avoid these altogether and maybe use a gentle clarifying shampoo once every few months or if there is build up.
Quite a few of us have been doing it for a couple of years and it works well. But there is a method to rotating shampoos which I didnt go into.

secretdiamond

Quite a few of us have been doing it for a couple of years and it works well. But there is a method to rotating shampoos which I didnt go into.

Totally understand. I also should take into account that my hair is relaxed/permed, so it is likely much more susceptible to damage by using harsher, more stripping poos, than a natural head. My hair was fine when I was natural, although was only a twa. Used the same methods.

The damage took 2 years into being relaxed for it to be so blatantly apparent. Also took me some time to even realize it was my shampoo process because it wasn't an immediate cause and effect reaction.
But, after doing tons of research and realizing how damaging sulfates can be (and irreversibly so), especially in those who are chemically treated (color, relaxers, perms, etc), I finally put the pieces together. I've been learning a lot. My ends were never thin or frail, so I couldn't understand what was happening--but, the actual integrity of the strands were compromised ---turning them dry and into 'velcro,' as someone mentioned upthread.

If it works well, by all means continue. Just trying to possibly help anyone from suffering how I did, if I can. I wish I knew or realized sooner.

ETA: I would also say, no matter the ingredients of the shampoo, be sure to know the pH of it. It's just as important, if not more so.

Last edited:

Chicoro

I might try the oil rinsing one day. I can easily get velcro ends too. I'd probably do it for a quick wash when I don't have fifty-leven hours to shampoo my hair thoroughly.

The worst shampoo I thought I ever tried has been Biolage Clean Reset Clarifying shampoo followed by Redken Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Detox Shampoo. It makes my hair feel gross and tangled. It left my hair with a weird dry brillo texture. Everything I used after it worked horribly. I thought that it was just a bad shampoo that didn't agree with my hair.

When I started using heavy polyquat products, the shampoos I loved started doing the same thing. I started having the same problem with moisturizing and detangling shampoos like Innersense Hydrating Hair Bath and Curls Blueberry Bliss Reparative Hair Wash. I think its how the shampoo lifts the product from my hair, but can't fully remove it. I had to shampoo multiple times or try stronger shampoos to get back my hair's natural feeling. It's scary to want to use a "bad" shampoo multiple times and risk turning your hair into a bird's nest. I assure you it works...at least for me.

I don't ever use straight shea nowadays, but back in the day I did. Black soap was the shampoo everyone suggested then and it took it all off. You might want to try a different shampoo if you have a chance. There is no telling which one will work best to easily remove shea butter and vaseline from your hair. I say that because my mom slathers on Murray's Superior Hair Dressing Pomade regularly and has no issues with the Biolage Shampoo. In fact, it's one of her favorites.
Thank you! Interestingly, I use a baby wash and it gets all the Shea and Vaseline out my hair. I appreciate all the conversation about people's experience with shampoos and how you mitigated and navigated the situations to resolve issues. The discussions are really helpful.

Chicoro

Oil rinsing and baggying with Vaseline are paying dividends! Caveat, I have not completed my entire hair wash routine but, usually the initial ball will not get more than 2x bigger by the end of my hair wash/condition/style routine. I think things have turned around for my hair.

What a difference and what a great way to finish my 2022 Luscious Healthy Ends journey!

April 10th, 2022 : Some baggying, No Vaseline , No Oil Rinsing (Left photo)---December 31st, 2022: Baggying w/Vaseline, Oil Rinses (right photo)

Hair loss April 10th 2022 A.jpgHair Breakage Dec 31st 2022.jpeg

Last edited:

Chicoro

I just washed my hair for the first time since my trim just before Christmas. My stands feel smooth from root to tip now. I think she removed the last of my damaged ends. I’m going to pay careful attention to my ends as the weeks go by so I can figure out when I need my next trim.
Bravo! That's a great place from which to start the new year!

secretdiamond

Oil rinsing and baggying with Vaseline are paying dividends! Caveat, I have not completed my entire hair wash routine but, usually the initial ball will not get more than 2x bigger by the end of my hair wash/condition/style routine. I think things have turned around for my hair.

What a difference and what a great way to finish my 2022 Luscious Healthy Ends journey!

April 10th, 2022 : Some baggying, No Vaseline , No Oil Rinsing (Left photo)---December 31st, 2022: Baggying w/Vaseline, Oil Rinses (right photo)

What a huge difference!! Congrats!!

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Took these pictures of my hair today just after a wash and condition, so my hair is slightly damp. I have 4b hair but it seems like at least the ends tend to coil when wet. I am still surprised by this since I have afro-texture hair. Not sure if it is heat damage since I did get 2 trims last year. So maybe this is what my hair normally does but I never noticed before, idk. Regardless, It doesn't bother me.

I wore knotless braids for most of the year and I believe that to be a success. So I will continue long-term protective styling this year too. Have been in two-strand twists for a month now and I love how simple it makes my wash routine.

Attachments

• 01-01-2023_1.jpg
    01-01-2023_1.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 01-01-2023_2.jpg
    01-01-2023_2.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 01-01-2023_3.jpg
    01-01-2023_3.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 01-01-2023_4.jpg
    01-01-2023_4.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 35

Chicoro

Took these pictures of my hair today just after a wash and condition, so my hair is slightly damp. I have 4b hair but it seems like at least the ends tend to coil when wet. I am still surprised by this since I have afro-texture hair. Not sure if it is heat damage since I did get 2 trims last year. So maybe this is what my hair normally does but I never noticed before, idk. Regardless, It doesn't bother me.

I wore knotless braids for most of the year and I believe that to be a success. So I will continue long-term protective styling this year too. Have been in two-strand twists for a month now and I love how simple it makes my wash routine.
Your ends look healthy and gorgeous, to me! Congratulations on your progress and success!

DVAntDany

Thank you! Interestingly, I use a baby wash and it gets all the Shea and Vaseline out my hair. I appreciate all the conversation about people's experience with shampoos and how you mitigated and navigated the situations to resolve issues. The discussions are really helpful.
It really shows how hair care is an art as well a science. Just because a hair care practice or product can work well enough across the board doesn't mean it is the best. I love how we can fine tune techniques and products to custom fit our hair wants and needs.

Chicoro

It really shows how hair care is an art as well a science. Just because a hair care practice or product can work well enough across the board doesn't mean it is the best. I love how we can fine tune techniques and products to custom fit our hair wants and needs.
I like it when it's working, too. But when it's not working, it gets rough and set-backs tear up and eat up my lil' hair progress.

snoop

View attachment 485573View attachment 485577

That is a huge difference!!! I can see the oils on your hands. Do you oil rinse from the roots or just your ends?

Chicoro

That is a huge difference!!! I can see the oils on your hands. Do you oil rinse from the roots or just your ends?
I take out my braids. Then I immediately oil my dry, dirty hair from root to tip/ends! Slowly and thoroughly separating the strands and removing shedded hairs.

The hair is not matting as badly as it used to and the hair is not sticky and velcro-like which made may have to tear apart my hair. That huge hair ball was in no way normal for me. That's how I knew my hair was breaking off and that I had a terrible hair problem.

Chicoro

@Chicoro that is a major difference in the amount of shed hair. Are both after the same number of days between detangling?
I wash every 7 days and my hair ball is always approximately the same size. But if I wash after 3-4 days the ball is much smaller.
No, I don't think they are after the same number of days between detangling. The giant ball is from neglect, honestly. I didn't get to my hair and give it loving, attentive hair care. Also, this is technically shedded hair but it is also hair that is pre-maturely broken, which became shedded hair.

I think I am on stable ground and the breakage has gotten under control!

snoop

I take out my braids. Then I immediately oil my dry, dirty hair from root to tip/ends! Slowly and thoroughly separating the strands and removing shedded hairs.

The hair is not matting as badly as it used to and the hair is not sticky and velcro-like which made may have to tear apart my hair. That huge hair ball was in no way normal for me. That's how I knew my hair was breaking off and that I had a terrible hair problem.

Thank you for this explanation. I was thinking about how I use oils in my hair and this was helpful.