Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

snoop

How do you use oils in your hair? How was my explanation helpful for you?

This morning I was considering how I apply products to my hair. Generally, I apply them to my two strand twists, even after washing. I apply the oil to the twist and squeeze it in. I'm thinking that I want to try applying the oil(s) to my strands and rake them through, ensuring that my hair is coated and strands are separated and then twist my hair. I can apply it topically when I re-moisturize during the week.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
This morning I was considering how I apply products to my hair. Generally, I apply them to my two strand twists, even after washing. I apply the oil to the twist and squeeze it in. I'm thinking that I want to try applying the oil(s) to my strands and rake them through, ensuring that my hair is coated and strands are separated and then twist my hair. I can apply it topically when I re-moisturize during the week.
Thank you. Ok!

caribeandiva

Human being

Oil rinsing and baggying with Vaseline are paying dividends! Caveat, I have not completed my entire hair wash routine but, usually the initial ball will not get more than 2x bigger by the end of my hair wash/condition/style routine. I think things have turned around for my hair.

What a difference and what a great way to finish my 2022 Luscious Healthy Ends journey!

April 10th, 2022 : Some baggying, No Vaseline , No Oil Rinsing (Left photo)---December 31st, 2022: Baggying w/Vaseline, Oil Rinses (right photo)

View attachment 485573View attachment 485577
What?! Lemme pay closer attention to the oil rinsing method.

caribeandiva

Human being
I Need to Beware of Velcro Ends:

If I end up with ends that feel, look and/or act like velcro at the end of my wash and condition process, then, I've not been successful. I have re-discovered that I have to add oil in almost every step, even in the shampoo process.

• Tonight, I added hot oil to my dry, dirty hair. Then I added a freshly made flax seed gel to lubricate and give it slip.
  • Then, I washed with a cream baby body and hair wash. No oil was added to the body wash. After the rinse, my ends started to feel like velcro. Danger!
  • I did a hot oil rinse. Added essential oils to warm hazel nut oil. Pulled that through my hair and the velcro feeling left. Rinsed it out with hot water.
  • Then, I added a heaping tablespoon of pure Shea butter to my conditioner, which I melted over heat, along with honey and olive oil to that conditioner. I applied the mixture to my head. I sat under the dryer for 30 minutes with a plastic cap. Velcro ends disappeared again.
Photos are of my hair at the first step: Oiled dry, dirty hair with warmed oil. Then, put flax seed gel over that and let it sit. My hair looked and felt deeply, moisturized.

I've never used flax seed gel as a pre-poo before. I wanted extreme slip so I can STOP ripping and breaking my ends. It worked well this time.
My hair just laid down like a gentle kitten.

No comb was used to detangle. It was 95% finger detangled with a brush and toothbrush to smooth down the hair when I styled it in my 5 braid ponytail, which I will wear for the whole week.

It took a SUPER long time to do my hair. I was heating oils, making gel and oiling before and after washing. Lots of work, but it made a big difference.

View attachment 484717View attachment 484719View attachment 484721
I see it’s all explained here. Thanks!

Chicoro

So oil prepoo (kinda), shampoo, oil then DC?
Yes, exactly. But, as my hair gets longer and older, the needs of it changes. Just last week I was saying that I have to use shampoo. But, I am starting to rethink that, too. Shampoo is eating up my hair ends and messing with my length gain hopes. So, I am trying other things. I want to cry from doing all this experimenting but I am going to have to bite the bullet and try to find what works for me. I just don't have hair that thrives forever with the same routine. Sometimes I have to go back and forth with certain things that are tried and true. But, I have to mix it up and modify those tried and true processes. Secretly, I love it because I love hair and the complexities of it.

GettingKinky

Yes, exactly. But, as my hair gets longer and older, the needs of it changes. Just last week I was saying that I have to use shampoo. But, I am starting to rethink that, too. Shampoo is eating up my hair ends and messing with my length gain hopes. So, I am trying other things. I want to cry from doing all this experimenting but I am going to have to bite the bullet and try to find what works for me. I just don't have hair that thrives forever with the same routine. Sometimes I have to go back and forth with certain things that are tried and true. But, I have to mix it up and modify those tried and true processes. Secretly, I love it because I love hair and the complexities of it.
Maybe you can just use shampoo on your scalp/roots and your younger hair and not on the last 6-12” of your hair.

Chicoro

Maybe you can just use shampoo on your scalp/roots and your younger hair and not on the last 6-12” of your hair.
That's a possibility! Thank you! I feel like my hair is sticky from root to tip after washing it, though. I'm going to make something work. The great part is I've pinpointed that the shampoo is what is impacting my ends the most. I did not know that up until last month. But that's what happens when you think you are a know it all as it relates to your own hair. My hair proves me wrong on a regular basis and I am humbled and left with broken hair.

VinDieselsWifey

Have you tried diluting your shampoo in water? Even a small amount of shampoo in a bottle of water still suds up a lot.

Chicoro

Have you tried diluting your shampoo in water? Even a small amount of shampoo in a bottle of water still suds up a lot.
Yes, I think this is a great process. I call it 'softening the shampoo'. I would dilute it and add a little oil to the shampoo. The concern for me is how much water do I need to add to which quantity of shampoo before it starts to fuzz up my ends. I'm not sure how to do this in a measured safe, consistent way. How much water is enough? How little shampoo do I need? By the way, these are not questions directed at you, the lovely @VinDieselsWifey !

caribeandiva

Human being
It’s both/and. Both frustrating and exciting!

Chicoro

Another thing I noticed is that the the natural shape of my hair strand may be contributing to the fragility of my hair and ends, too. I am talking about when you lay the hair strand flat on a surface and hold it straight, I can see the shape. I can see why my hair is prone to breaking because the strand has areas where it is thinner. That thinness is not a the hair becoming diminutive due to a problem with the hair follicle, but is a regular and repeated pattern on my hair strand. Some people who dye their hair have hair strands that are thicker at the root and clearly thinner and shrunken on the dyed part. That's not my situation. It's the natural pattern on my strand.

And those thinner areas are weak points on the hair strand. I'm not even sure if strengthening treatments can fortify my strands to prevent the breakage over time, due to this natural pattern of thinness on the strand itself.

The more I learn about my hair and afro-textured hair in general, the more complexity I seem to uncover. It seems to get harder instead of easier. But I'm up for the challenge. I'm determined to grow me some hair that falls over my behind. I'll take that or 30 inches, which ever one is longer ! :giggle:

In addition, it's not a question of wet bunning or dry bunning or no bunning. I see why my hair breaks no matter how I style it regularly. Even when I put on my glasses, my hair breaks off. I am not complaining just coming to some realizations that I have overlooked or completely missed in the past.

But when I find out, you all will find out. And we can all benefit.

Last edited:

snoop

Yes, I think this is a great process. I call it 'softening the shampoo'. I would dilute it and add a little oil to the shampoo. The concern for me is how much water do I need to add to which quantity of shampoo before it starts to fuzz up my ends. I'm not sure how to do this in a measured safe, consistent way. How much water is enough? How little shampoo do I need? By the way, these are not questions directed at you, the lovely @VinDieselsWifey !

Couldn't you just measure everything out? Eg. 8oz water + 1 tsp or 1 tbsp shampoo, then plus or minus each week? If you started at 1 tbsp, for example and you got down to 1 tsp, then it could be that particular shampoo or shampoo in general that is the problem...

Chicoro

Couldn't you just measure everything out? Eg. 8oz water + 1 tsp or 1 tbsp shampoo, then plus or minus each week? If you started at 1 tbsp, for example and you got down to 1 tsp, then it could be that particular shampoo or shampoo in general that is the problem...
Yes, I could do that!

The concern is that every time I get fuzzy ends, I lose length. My hair tangles and I have to tear it apart. Hence, I call this length I am currently at my breakpoint.

I'm going to think on all these great suggestions you all are so generously providing me.

caribeandiva

Human being
You could get several empty bottles and put different amount of water and shampoo in each. Then test them on different parts of your hair. You’ll figure out the answer much faster that way.

snoop

Yes, I could do that!

The concern is that every time I get fuzzy ends, I lose length. My hair tangles and I have to tear it apart. Hence, I call this length I am currently at my breakpoint.

I'm going to think on all these great suggestions you all are so generously providing me.

I'm just randomly coming up with suggestions now, but not sure if any will help your next wash.
  • You can collect your shed hair and test on them
  • Follow up with an acidic rinse with or without the conditioner (ACV or AVJ), but after the conditioning step if you use it
  • Shampoo on your scalp, but co-wash your length
  • A milder shampoo or a creamier conditioner?

Chicoro

Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2023!!! Come on over, ladies!

GGsKin

Another thing I noticed is that the the natural shape of my hair strand may be contributing to the fragility of my hair and ends, too. I am talking about when you lay the hair strand flat on a surface and hold it straight, I can see the shape. I can see why my hair is prone to breaking because the strand has areas where it is thinner. That thinness is not a the hair becoming diminutive due to a problem with the hair follicle, but is a regular and repeated pattern on my hair strand. Some people who dye their hair have hair strands that are thicker at the root and clearly thinner and shrunken on the dyed part. That's not my situation. It's the natural pattern on my strand.

And those thinner areas are weak points on the hair strand. I'm not even sure if strengthening treatments can fortify my strands to prevent the breakage over time, due to this natural pattern of thinness on the strand itself.

The more I learn about my hair and afro-textured hair in general, the more complexity I seem to uncover. It seems to get harder instead of easier. But I'm up for the challenge. I'm determined to grow me some hair that falls over my behind. I'll take that or 30 inches, which ever one is longer ! :giggle:

In addition, it's not a question of wet bunning or dry bunning or no bunning. I see why my hair breaks no matter how I style it regularly. Even when I put on my glasses, my hair breaks off. I am not complaining just coming to some realizations that I have overlooked or completely missed in the past.

But when I find out, you all will find out. And we can all benefit.
@Chicoro The bolded is also my experience. I've inspected my shed hair strands, and have noticed thinner points on my strands when gently pulled straight, where it naturally bends or twists into a coil. It hit home how gentle I will need to be with my hair in order to achieve significantly longer lengths.

For shampoo, have you tried Olaplex no.4? I do like this shampoo. My hair never feels stripped, but I always feels clean. I must say since I mainly just use a 'good' gel and maybe a light moisturiser, it doesn't have much challenge. For me, a little- and I mean a small spot on the fingertip sized amount- really goes a long way. My hair becomes defined and smooth with this 'poo, and it is easy to detangle. I love and still use clay in my routine, but aside from my beloved Redken Cleansing Creme, Olaplex no.4 is definitely a winner shampoo for me.