Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

GGsKin

I paid through paypal. I don't know what's the procedure for getting my money back.
It's easy to raise a claim on PayPal and I think you have something like 90 or 150 days from purchase. Just go through the service centre/ via website rather than the app. State that you didn't receive the item and they should resolve with the retailer or most likely refund your money.

*corrected spelling.

Last edited:

snoop

So, I don't have any length check pictures, YET, but I thought that I would post this to give a bit of a picture of what I'm working with. Like a few others in this thread, I think that my ends are pretty healthy, but I'm working on curbing shedding and broken hairs in my crown area. It wasn't until I pulled these photos for this thread, that I think that I finally understand where my problem area is. The excess shedding that I've had has been in my crown area. I knew that i lost some volume, but I can really notice it in the sides of my hair. There is a twisted updo that I used to wear, where I just wrap my jumbo or medium twists on themselves and tuck them away. I can't really do that now and I didn't realize why until I looked at these pictures. There are parts of my hair that are 3-4 inches shorter than the hairs that they are directly beside.

LHCF Dec 2021.jpg

Since August, I've been detangling under water and my hair loves it, so I'm going to continue doing that and hopefully by the end of the year, I'll see some retention. I'm going to treat my hair as APL which should account for the shortest layers.

Like @Chicoro , I plan on waiting until my hair reaches a certain length before I will think about cutting my hair back into a shape.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
OMG I remember her! I want to say she was called redhotlala or something like that. I used to stalk her fotki! Beautiful hair! I am not too surprised she went natural.

EAGLE EYES @Napp has said it!

You were RIGHT! Her fotki name was LoveYa4Ever and her LHCF name was RedHotLaLa. She is still a member here, with a third screen name , but she rarely visits here anymore.

I did not make the connection. I remember her on Fotki as LoveYa4Ever and she had hair that was UNREAL int terms of thickness and length!!! Just super gorgeous hair. She said it was okay to confirm her names.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Can you have luscious healthy ends that are not even? I don't know how healthy my ends are but I don't use heat or wear my hair straight anymore (except for length checks) I don't see myself trimming my hair until I get to my goal length. Can I maintain healthy ends that are a little jagged?

I don't trust anyone else for a trim right now but I have lost the skills to trim my own hair like I used to. I have a stylist I've been seeing to get my hair braided and I don't like the way she silk presses. Way too much heat. The local beauty salon is Dominican and they straight up fry hair straight. I went there to get my brows done and the lady fried this girls to death and the whole salon smelled like burnt hair. I think I may go back to my old beauty school and get a press and trim there If I was to get it done. They tend to listen more to what you want because they are still learning. I might just need to suck it up and do it myself but I've gotten so hair lazy with my hair. I cant believe sometimes how much I used to love doing hair....

LushLox

Can you have luscious healthy ends that are not even? I don't know how healthy my ends are but I don't use heat or wear my hair straight anymore (except for length checks) I don't see myself trimming my hair until I get to my goal length. Can I maintain healthy ends that are a little jagged?

I don't trust anyone else for a trim right now but I have lost the skills to trim my own hair like I used to. I have a stylist I've been seeing to get my hair braided and I don't like the way she silk presses. Way too much heat. The local beauty salon is Dominican and they straight up fry hair straight. I went there to get my brows done and the lady fried this girls to death and the whole salon smelled like burnt hair. I think I may go back to my old beauty school and get a press and trim there If I was to get it done. They tend to listen more to what you want because they are still learning. I might just need to suck it up and do it myself but I've gotten so hair lazy with my hair. I cant believe sometimes how much I used to love doing hair....

Yeah I feel that you can; if you are happy to have a not so perfect aesthetic I don't see why you should cut them.

I had a horrible unevenness problem last year, the left side looked ridiculous compared to the right. I was planning to do quite an aggressive cut to even both up but when I really examined the ends I didn't really see a problem with my them, so after much deliberation I just left it. Now suddenly my left side has more or less caught up with the right. So I'm really glad that I didn't do that cut as that would have really set me back.

With my future trims though, I will take more care to trim as evenly as possible but if a particular side shoots ahead of the other side I'm not going to worry too much about it. Just as long as my ends are good, I'm good.

You are probably going to need to trim eventually, watch lots of tutorials and you'll soon get the confidence. I really like Deeper than hair's one

Chicoro

I fell out of love with hair from 2013 until 2017. It happens.

Chicoro

Yeah I feel that you can; if you are happy to have a not so perfect aesthetic I don't see why you should cut them.

I had a horrible unevenness problem last year, the left side looked ridiculous compared to the right. I was planning to do quite an aggressive cut to even both up but when I really examined the ends I didn't really see a problem with my them, so after much deliberation I just left it. Now suddenly my left side has more or less caught up with the right. So I'm really glad that I didn't do that cut as that would have really set me back.

With my future trims though, I will take more care to trim as evenly as possible but if a particular side shoots ahead of the other side I'm not going to worry too much about it. Just as long as my ends are good, I'm good.

You are probably going to need to trim eventually, watch lots of tutorials and you'll soon get the confidence. I really like Deeper than hair's one

Aha! THIS, is your growing pattern. The right side of your hair drops in length first, then the left side catches up. That's priceless information you got there.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

Oh this is a great tutorial! I am going to try this and save some money as well. I am kind of excited to see my length. I plan on doing a rollerset and flat iron to lessen the direct heat and help preserve my ends when I do finally check my length.

Chicoro

@Chicoro Aw man... I was thinking of just cheering you ladies on. lol. My ends really need some tlc if truth be told. So yes I'm in.

This thread can help you give your ends some TLC. But beware, you can't "Creep" out this thread once you're in it, though. :giggle: I KNOW you're 'in'. You're trapped in here now, just like the rest of them. Welcome!

Royalq

So i stumbled across an old text message i sent a girl who loved my hair about my hair regimen. In that text i mentioned that i used ORS curls unleashed leave in as a moisturizer and castor oil as a sealant. At that time my hair was so healthy and full. I went out and bought the ors again and used it last night and was like dang! How did I forget!? As soon as it hit my hair is softened and created slip. Sometimes you get so caught up in trying new products you forget what works. Im going to use this moisturizer this year and seal with castor oil and baggy ever now and then to retain length

Napp

Ms. Nobody
So i stumbled across an old text message i sent a girl who loved my hair about my hair regimen. In that text i mentioned that i used ORS curls unleashed leave in as a moisturizer and castor oil as a sealant. At that time my hair was so healthy and full. I went out and bought the ors again and used it last night and was like dang! How did I forget!? As soon as it hit my hair is softened and created slip. Sometimes you get so caught up in trying new products you forget what works. Im going to use this moisturizer this year and seal with castor oil and baggy ever now and then to retain length
How did you use these products? How do you typically wear your hair? Did you use the leave in cream in the jar or in the bottle?

Royalq

How did you use these products? How do you typically wear your hair? Did you use the leave in cream in the jar or in the bottle?
I use the one in the bottle. I moisten my hair with whatever spray i have on hand, sometimes water, sometimes conditioner mix. Then i split my hair in 4 then split each of those into 2-3 to make sure all of my hair is getting it. I pour a generous amount into my hands, rub my hands together then use the prayer hands method starting with the ends and work my way up. The ends should get product first. I repeat with the castor oil. I am relaxed so i do this when my hair is airdried and mostly wear my hair in a bun. When my hair is straight i use olaplex no 7

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I sealed my hair with the Doux Bonita Afro Balm and I think I used too much! Now my hair is oily :rolleyes: A little goes a long way indeed. It's not like Camille rose almond jai where I can put alot on and my hair not be oily. Let's see how my hair feels tomorrow....

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I plan to seal my ends nightly whenever I'm in an out style and every other day when I'm In a protective style. I'm team #notrim until I reach PAST my goal length. Then Ill do an even cut to my goal length. Right now my goal is BSL so I am going to grow it to MBL and then trim it back to BSL. I know nothing is better than fresh ends but I refuse to cut my length this time around for the sake of it being all even! I don't even wear my hair straightened anymore and if it was straightened I would put tight curls in it to hide the ends.

Chicoro

January 2021 Statistics:
Current Length: Grazing Tailbone
Left side:
-front top bantu knot = 23 inches
-front bottom bantu knot = 22 inches
-back top bantu knot =25.5 inches
-back bottom (nape) bantu knot =23 inches

January 2nd, 2022 Statistics:
Current Length: Touching/At Tailbone
Left side:
-front top bantu knot = 24.5 inches
-front bottom bantu knot = 23 inches
-back top bantu knot =26.5 inches
-back bottom (nape) bantu knot =24 inches

These are the lengths of my bantu knots. I am grateful for the health and length of my hair.

I am just surprised that my hair is retaining only 1 inch per year. I'm not sure what's happening. It LOOKS longer, as in I thought I gained three (3) inches, yet the measurements say something else. Hmmm... I have clipped my ends in the back a little bit.

I will continue to nurture my ends and see what happens.

Don’t you love getting that old thing back. Hey it happens we forget or move on to something new. Sometimes a good product break is needed.

frizzy

I steamed 40 minutes with one of Miele's DC enhanced with SAA, honey, LPP and the ceramides product.

Rinsed it a few hours later with the last of some vintage Porosity Control. :lol:

Lastly, I saturated my hair with Mane n' Tail conditioner and twisted. It's chilling under a silk scarf. I'll oil scalp and moisturize in a few days.

Chicoro

A Possible Ends Routine:

1. Fortify the hair ends with a light protein. Saturate dry ends with the product. Let it soak into the hair.
  2. Lubricate the ends the hair with an oil or butter.
  3. Stop ends from rubbing against clothing.
  4. Put ends up out the air and out of sight.

Theresamonet

@Chicoro’s post about trimming only after getting past her length goal, has me reconsidering my trim schedule for this year. Maybe I will just trim every 6 months and S&D in between, and see how my hair does. I don’t think I can go without a trim for a full year, because I use heat and am not the most diligent about moisturizing between washes. But I did trim last year about ever 12 weeks, and I don’t feel it was truly necessary beyond aesthetics. Yet… when I go too long, split ends run amok. I’m still looking for the right balance.

So, I’ve also been thinking in general about what I can do better to specifically care for my ends, and I’ve decided on:

— S&Ds every 2-3 months.
— Incorporating a split end sealing product. One with PVP copolymers that temporarily bind the ends. I already have Bed Head Ego Boost in my stash. I want to try the Oribe one as well.
— Moisturize and seal the ends of my braids every other night. I tend to not want to take down my styles to moisturize my hair. I just don’t feel the additional manipulation is worth it. But embarrassingly, it just dawned on me that I can just moisturize the ends without taking down the whole braid. :think:
— I will switch up the way I blow out my hair. I will stretch the hair out using the tension method, before going in with the brush attachment. I’m never giving up my blow dry brush. :lol: But hopefully minimizing the number of passes will cut down on some of the mechanical damage.
—More protein treatments.

Theresamonet

I just moisturised with Aveda Nutriplenish Daily Treatment. I split my hair into quarters and really focused on the ends. This is quite a heavy leave in for me, but that's okay I won't be having my hair down this week.

I want to try this. I use the Nutriplenish Leave-in Conditioner (spray) and love it. When you say the Daily Treatment is heavy, can you expound on what you mean? It it oily? The only way I can use it, is if it’s not too watery. Otherwise it will revert my blowout. The only moisturizers I have that don’t revert my hair are the Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Cream and Living Proof Overnight Perfector.

Theresamonet

I’m also working on my scalp health in 2022. In 2020 I had gotten my scalp to a really good state, using my ACV mix on my scalp every few days. I fell off that completely this year and the flakes have returned with a vengeance. I’m going to return to my ACV mix as well as try out these products by the Inkey List

I know how to take care of the length of my hair so 2022 is all about nailing the details.. my scalp and ends.

I’ve focusing more on my scalp also. I’ve had a Nexxus Inergy scalp scrub in my stash for a while, but just tried it a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed it, but the Inky List scrub sounds even better with the acids in it. I will definitely purchase when I’m done with the one I have. I’ve always liked Dphue’s ACV rinse as well.