Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

faithVA

My hair hangs differently depending on how I apply my clay, but in all cases I think that there is much of a gap between the sides and the back. This photo is from last weekend, but you can see how different my hair looks in the three pictures (Nov 28, Dec 23, and Jan 9). It looks like my hair grew a lot, but... it hasn't. Not yet!

View attachment 478485

I think that my ends are doing well, so the goal is to keep going. I've been adding hydrolyzed proteins to my clay washes every week for the past month or so.

Does anyone know if you can add hydrolyzed proteins to something less "full" than clay? I'm thinking something along the lines of a tea rinse. I would do some trial and error, but I don't want to waste them unnecessarily.
Love all of that hair :yep:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I like to put my End Routine products in the same place. That way, I don't have to put in too much effort to gather my supplies. It helps remove some of the resistance to trying to be consistent!

Remove the Resistance to be Consistent!

Chicoro

I keep mine in my nightstand, since having to put my feet on the floor is often my biggest obstacle. Lol

You are blessed that putting your feet on the floor is an obstacle. For some people, it is an impossibility in that they are bedridden or permanently injured and will never have the opportunity to wrestle with such a choice. Revel and enjoy that obstacle because it truly is a privilege! Using our real feets, not just our Hair Feets, is gift. Isn't it nice to have the choice to use or not use them?!

Last edited:

Chicoro

Dangers of Gummy, Sticky Buildup in Hair Tangles!

If you get some gummy buildup in your hair and it sticks together some of your precious strands,

STOP! DROP! and ROLL!

Stop what you are doing. Drop all other hair strands away from that section. Tap your finger in some oil or glycerin. Caution, do not use castor oil as it can get sticky. Then, tap the oil/glycerin on the sticky area to soften the build-up and try to roll out the stick, gummy buildup from your precious hair strand.

I stole this from a long ago fire training some sexy Fireman gave to our grade school. Digression: Did you know firemen are SEXY in EVERY country? Yes, consistently!

I hope no one in here is going to need or have an incident where an emergency services professional needs to be called...but if you do and he shows up looking like Fire Marshall Bill... I do NOT want to hear it!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/EQ1X2DtTRp1aE" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Last edited:

Chicoro

Dangers of Gummy, Sticky Buildup in Hair Tangles!

If you get some gummy buildup in your hair and it sticks together some of your precious strands,

STOP! DROP! and ROLL!

Stop what you are doing. Drop all other hair strands away from that section. Tap your finger in some oil or glycerin. Caution, do not use castor oil as it can get sticky. Then, tap the oil/glycerin on the sticky area to soften the build-up and try to roll out the stick, gummy buildup from your precious hair strand.

I stole this from a long ago fire training some sexy Fireman gave to our grade school. Digression: Did you know firemen are SEXY in EVERY country? Yes, consistently!

If your neighborhood firemen look like Fire Marshall Bill, I don't want to hear about it wrecking my theory!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/EQ1X2DtTRp1aE" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Chicoro

AHA! - Noticed that I continue to lose length at the nape, or stay at the same length.
Why? - I don't know the reason why, though.
( I figured it out! I changed the way I part my hair for my bantus. I have the maximum amount of hair in my back top bantu. That hair is 26 inches. I made the other bantus in the front have less hair, too. Thus, all the longest part of my hair is secure in the 26 inch back top bantu. There are no super long strands of hair outside of those two top, back bantu knots. So, I haven't really lost an inch. By re-section my hair, I took away those few, longer scraggly strands and put them into those two top bantus. I got it!!!!

I just edited the length measurements for my bantu knots on my left side. I see that continue to lose length in the bantu knot that is at my nape, on the bottom. Or I would call it the back bottom bantu knot. Last year, it was at 23 inches. This year it is BACK to 22 inches. There is something I am doing WRONG. (See the why above!)

I lost 1 inch of length in my nape area in 2021. (See the why above!) In fact, I ALWAYS lose hair because this area does not retain length steadily past 22 inches. This is why it is so important for me to document in detail about my hair journey. I am just now coming to this realization.

I know I trimmed some of it back because my hair was in a tangled up knot on the right side, so I had to even up the left side, too.

Last edited:

Chicoro

ALL Bond Menders are Not the Same :mad::confused:

In 2020 used the Creme of Nature Plex Breakage Defense. - This story does not end well....:antlers::cry3::cry4::cry2::cry::crybaby:

I got this from a YouTuber I trust. I could only find one bottle when I was in the US. I found one lone bottle in Sally's in Lakewood, California.
My thoughts were, as my hair is getting longer, the ENDS are getting older and weaker and fragile. I thought this was a bonder treatment and different than a protein treatment. This is not a protein only product as it has wheat protein as part of the ingredients. This is a hair bonder. It smells lovely and faint.

I used half the 150 ml or 5.1 fluid ounce bottle on the first and my one application. There is no silicone in this product.

I used this on my 4 week, dry, dirty, brittle hair. I removed my braids. I couldn't get to my hair until 7 days later. When I FINALLY got to my hair, I was detangling and I saw what looked like 100s of tiny hairs in my white sink. This stuff dried out my hair and lifted at least one level of cuticle from every strand of hair on my head. I was sooo disappointed. It actually BROKE my hair!

I must say to be fair that I DID not use the product correctly. It says to wash off after 10 minutes. I had an issue and could not get to my hair until the next weekend to wash it, which is wholly and solely my problem, BUT, still. This is why I was so reticent and hesitant about using any other bond type product. But in comparison to Olaplex, the experience was night and day. I will never use this product ever again for my hair and especially for my hair ends.

1642340180802.png

Last edited:

Chicoro

Modification of Use of Olaplex No. 0 and No. 3 for my hair ends routine

I have decided that I am going to use Olaplex 0 and 3 as a leave in treatment for my ends. In my case, I tend to wet my ends at least once a day in the morning or in the evening. At some point after the application of Olaplex 0 and Olaplex 3, during the week, I will have saturated my hair ends at least 3 times. So, I don't think the cuticle lifting event will happen again like it did with that Creme of Nature Plex product.

My Plan: Concentrate Olaplex No. 0 and No. 3 on my Ends and Use as a Leave-In. :crystalball: I don't have a crystal ball, but I think I should be okay. If I experience any adverse, ill effects, I'll let you know.

Each Week: (On Non-Wash Days!)
  1. Carefully unbraid hair and put into bantu knots.
  2. Detangle with fingers.
  3. Saturate last six (6) inches of hair with Olaplex 0 and let soak in 10 minutes. Repeat process with Olaplex 3.
  4. Then, go back over hair and spritz ends with a light protein product to leave in.
  5. Put in Scurl and Shea butter and re-braid for the week.

Last edited:

LushLox

I'm getting back to using rollers again, albeit flexi rods. I've always loved roller setting but it's a lot of manipulation so it's only going to be something that I do occasionally. Enter in flexi rods, I love the way that my hair dries with these. I simply pin curl the hair after it dries and the smoothness will generally last for the week.

DVAntDany

Modification of Use of Olaplex No. 0 and No. 3 for my hair ends routine

I have decided that I am going to use Olaplex 0 and 3 as a leave in treatment for my ends. In my case, I tend to wet my ends at least once a day in the morning or in the evening. At some point after the application of Olaplex 0 and Olaplex 3, during the week, I will have saturated my hair ends at least 3 times. So, I don't think the cuticle lifting event will happen again like it did with that Creme of Nature Plex product.

My Plan: Concentrate Olaplex No. 0 and No. 3 on my Ends and Use as a Leave-In. :crystalball: I don't have a crystal ball, but I think I should be okay. If I experience any adverse, ill effects, I'll let you know.

Each Week: (On Non-Wash Days!)
  1. Carefully unbraid hair and put into bantu knots.
  2. Detangle with fingers.
  3. Saturate last six (6) inches of hair with Olaplex 0 and let soak in 10 minutes. Repeat process with Olaplex 3.
  4. Then, go back over hair and spritz ends with a light protein product to leave in.
  5. Put in Scurl and Shea butter and re-braid for the week.
May I ask why you would use #0 and #3 as a leave-in instead of using #6 which is a leave-in cream? It too contains the Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate although a smaller amount.

I don’t think it should cause any major problems. I’ve read post on Reddit from 4 years ago about people doing it that way on extremely damaged hair.

I’ve also listened to all of their public posted master classes. Sleeping in it is okay, except for the eyes. There is no way to over use it and can be used daily. Just remember that it is only active when wet/damp. It also works best on cleanish hair.

Chicoro

May I ask why you would use #0 and #3 as a leave-in instead of using #6 which is a leave-in cream? It too contains the Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate although a smaller amount.

I don’t think it should cause any major problems. I’ve read post on Reddit from 4 years ago about people doing it that way on extremely damaged hair.

I’ve also listened to all of their public posted master classes. Sleeping in it is okay, except for the eyes. There is no way to over use it and can be used daily. Just remember that it is only active when wet/damp. It also works best on cleanish hair.

Exactly! I use 0 and 3 because they contain the most of the active ingredient that bonds, which works to re-bond the 2 broken, former, singular, disulphide molecule. Yes, that's right. It's only active when it's wet. Thus, I use the No. 0 to wet my ends and let it sink into my hair for 10 minutes. Then I re- spritz again to rewet my hair with the No. 0 right before dabbing on No. 3, as the No. 3 needs the No. 0 to penetrate.

I rinse my ends every day. My leave-ins dissipate over the course of the day. Silicones are in conditioners and leave-ins are quite substantive. Therefore, contrary to what is stated, these silicones rarely come out with a single day wash and condition.

Therefore, unless the average person using silicone based conditioners and leave-ins is truly stripping these products from the substrate, which is the hair, then their hair is about as clean or dirty as mine upon their 'normal' use of the Olaplex products.Thus, I believe that the daily rinsing I do on my ends is good enough to allow the No. 0 and No. 3 product to penetrate sufficiently, adequately and effectively into my [non-washed] hair.

It is also important to remember that these Olaplex products were absolutely NOT formulated with afro-textured hair in mind. These products were specifically developed to combat the oxidative damage that is incurred when using peroxide to strip the hair of melanin, or bleaching, in order to color hair hair very blonde. That hair is usually overwhelming hair of Caucasian women in terms of the largest number of clients. After that it might be hair of Asian women, then followed by perhaps an even lesser number women of African descent with relaxed or natural afro-textured hair.

As a consequence, the way an afro-textured, natural haired person uses these products is likely to be quite different than the way the aforementioned intended client with blonde hair as the end goal might use them. My ends are fragile and vulnerable. I don't need this product on my roots. Conversely, blonde hair would absolutely need this product from root to tip as they dyed their entire hair strand which tends to be extremely damaged by the dyeing process, where the severity of the damage increases incrementally with the amount of time the bleach is left on the hair.

Thus, I think - I'm good!

Last edited:

Chicoro

Already ladies, we've got one (1) Slacker in the House, she who will not be named....but whose name will be typed... @yamilee21 ....But that's why we are all here to support and encourage each other. At least she's honest. We'll give her two points extra for that!

We are still in the month of January. Remember, each decision determines if you are going to move toward Luscious Healthy Ends, or continue with and toward keeping them raggedy, chewed up, ate up, grey looking, split 8 times on one single strand, hair fiber. The choice is yours! I know it's difficult to know what's the best thing to decide to do.:rose:

Choose wisely...

DVAntDany

Exactly! I use 0 and 3 because they contain the most of the active ingredient that bonds, which works to re-bond the 2 broken, former, singular, disulphide molecule. Yes, that's right. It's only active when it's wet. Thus, I use the No. 0 to wet my ends and let it sink into my hair for 10 minutes. Then I re- spritz again to rewet my hair with the No. 0 right before dabbing on No. 3, as the No. 3 needs the No. 0 to penetrate.

I rinse my ends every day. My leave-ins dissipate over the course of the day. Silicones are in conditioners and leave-ins are quite substantive. Therefore, contrary to what is stated, these silicones rarely come out with a single day wash and condition.

Therefore, unless the average person using silicone based conditioners and leave-ins is truly stripping these products from the substrate, which is the hair, then their hair is about as clean or dirty as mine upon their 'normal' use of the Olaplex products.Thus, I believe that the daily rinsing I do on my ends is good enough to allow the No. 0 and No. 3 product to penetrate sufficiently, adequately and effectively into my [non-washed] hair.

It is also important to remember that these Olaplex products were absolutely NOT formulated with afro-textured hair in mind. These products were specifically developed to combat the oxidative damage that is incurred when using peroxide to strip the hair of melanin, or bleaching, in order to color hair hair very blonde. That hair is usually overwhelming hair of Caucasian women in terms of the largest number of clients. After that it might be hair of Asian women, then followed by perhaps an even lesser number women of African descent with relaxed or natural afro-textured hair.

As a consequence, the way an afro-textured, natural haired person uses these products is likely to be quite different than the way the aforementioned intended client with blonde hair as the end goal might use them. My ends are fragile and vulnerable. I don't need this product on my roots. Conversely, blonde hair would absolutely need this product from root to tip as they dyed their entire hair strand which tends to be extremely damaged by the dyeing process, where the severity of the damage increases incrementally with the amount of time the bleach is left on the hair.

Thus, I think - I'm good!
Your process does make sense. So I see your point.

I’ve listened to Christin Brown of CurlFactor talking about using some of the products differently to cater to curly/coily curls.

I will say that #0 + #3 works so much better than #3 by itself. I couldn’t see a physical difference on my hair but I could surely feel it. 0+3 provides a silkiness to my hair while wet that doesn’t go away in one wash. No.3 alone effects were minimal and my hair felt slightly strengthened/firm. If anything, your ends should feel great while strengthened.

Chicoro

Your process does make sense. So I see your point.

I’ve listened to Christin Brown of CurlFactor talking about using some of the products differently to cater to curly/coily curls.

I will say that #0 + #3 works so much better than #3 by itself. I couldn’t see a physical difference on my hair but I could surely feel it. 0+3 provides a silkiness to my hair while wet that doesn’t go away in one wash. No.3 alone effects were minimal and my hair felt slightly strengthened/firm. If anything, your ends should feel great while strengthened.

Thank you for the feedback! I agree with you about the difference 0 and 3 make together. I'm supposed be signed off for the night. Oops!

DVAntDany

Hi Ladies, I washed and deep conditioned last night.
I used to use Qp mango butter but it's no longer in production. I need something new.
Any suggestions?
Are you referring to the moisturizer? Are you only looking for strengthening or for a product that does both strengthening as well as provide heat protection?

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
My hair has been pinned up in two flat two-strand twists for the past 6 days. I haven’t taken it down to moisturize at all. Saturday was supposed to be wash day, but I postponed to Sunday only to not do it. Le sigh.
I will wash my hair Monday.
On a positive note, my hair is soft.

yamilee21

Already ladies, we've got one (1) Slacker in the House, she who will not be named....but whose name will be typed... @yamilee21 ....But that's why we are all here to support and encourage each other. At least she's honest. We'll give her two points extra for that!
Y’all and your peer-pressuring ways… harrumph! :redface:

I had put my hair in a properly moisturized and sealed bun (Giovanni leave-in, shea mix, oil mix), with some small accent twists in the front section that used to be bangs a decade ago, but still refuses to fully grow out to join the rest of the hair. And today I took the bun down, added a little more of the above to the ponytail part of the bun, the twists, and oiled the edges for extra credit, :lol: . So I’m no longer the official slacker of the thread. :grinwink: