Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I stopped deep conditioning under the dryer because the heat from it can trigger my melasma. Since I can tell that things are getting better or worse with the melasma on my face, I am going try to sneak back to sitting under the dryer for my conditioning hair treatments and protein treatments.

I have a lot going on right so I may not get to this until June 2022.

caribeandiva

Human being
I stopped deep conditioning under the dryer because the heat from it can trigger my melasma. Since I can tell that things are getting better or worse with the melasma on my face, I am going try to sneak back to sitting under the dryer for my conditioning hair treatments and protein treatments.

I have a lot going on right so I may not get to this until June 2022.
What if you try something like this instead? You can keep the heat confined to your scalp and not touch your face as much:

Chicoro

What if you try something like this instead? You can keep the heat confined to your scalp and not touch your face as much:

Thank you for thinking of me. I appreciate the suggestion! I do have something like that, now. I think I need to keep the heat on a lower setting, stay under it for a shorter time and keep it pulled back off my face. The biggest problem for me before was not being aware of the problems the heat created for my skin. I am more aware now. Thus, I think I am ready for a Round 2 with the same dryer. When you know better, you do better! I hope that is where I am at.

caribeandiva

Human being
Thank you for thinking of me. I appreciate the suggestion! I do have something like that, now. I think I need to keep the heat on a lower setting, stay under it for a shorter time and keep it pulled back off my face. The biggest problem for me before was not being aware of the problems the heat created for my skin. I am more aware now. Thus, I think I am ready for a Round 2 with the same dryer. When you know better, you do better! I hope that is where I am at.
Awesome!! Keep us posted.

GettingKinky

Seeing any cumulative length retention or changes?
Since my hair is always curly I have a hard time telling. I’m just going to believe that it’s helping and that eventually my curls will show more length.
I used to try to pull and measure, but the amount of stretch I get when I pull my hair is not very consistent so it doesn’t work well for tracking length.

Chicoro

Since my hair is always curly I have a hard time telling. I’m just going to believe that it’s helping and that eventually my curls will show more length.
I used to try to pull and measure, but the amount of stretch I get when I pull my hair is not very consistent so it doesn’t work well for tracking length.
Okay! We'll wait with you!

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Completed my Olaplex and protein treatment today. I blow-dried, flat-ironed, and trimmed my ends. My ends were so rough. I trimmed roughly 1/8-1/4” off.
I finally ordered Ecoslay Jello Shot for my WNG. If it doesn’t work to protect my ends, then no more WNGs for me.

keranikki

I popped the tendon over my middle finger in my right hand, Le sigh. My hand is inflamed along with parts of my right arm. I lucked out and found someone to braid my hair this Monday, before I go on a business trip. My hair is currently soft, fluffy, and tangled. I tried finger detangling my hair. It was numbing.
I can wash and condition my hair, but I can’t detangle without possibly ripping my hair out with a tool.
I advised the braider that I would need them to blow dry my hair, but I didn’t think about detangling. Please pray for me you guys, if you can.

Chicoro

I tried Olaplex 3. I'm not impressed. Maybe it's more of a longterm maintenance thing or something that builds up after forever idk. My ends are still breaking off little curls. I have on an Aphogee treatment right now.
It's tangible benefits are more visible when you are using stripping color. When you don't color the hair, and once you get the breakage under control, then you can start seeing the retention. Aphogee 2 Step stops breakage. Different purposes. I hope your breakage stops with the Aphogee treatment. Good luck!

faithVA

Did another K18 treatment last night and then put in deep conditioner which I have yet to rinse out. I think this is how I will do my K18 every month. I can definitely notice the difference with my hair. I'm not afraid to let my ends stay loose when I air dry. And I can definitely feel more moisture in my hair. Hopefully, it will continue improving over time.

I took down my flat twists this morning and my hair seemed better because my ends weren't all wrapped around each other. As far as retention, not sure how much I am retaining but I know I am retaining. I'm able to get my hair into 2 banana clip buns and tuck the ends under and that is on barely stretched hair. If I keep going this way I see a full bun by the end of the year. I will take it :yep:

Chicoro

I popped the tendon over my middle finger in my right hand, Le sigh. My hand is inflamed along with parts of my right arm. I lucked out and found someone to braid my hair this Monday, before I go on a business trip. My hair is currently soft, fluffy, and tangled. I tried finger detangling my hair. It was numbing.
I can wash and condition my hair, but I can’t detangle without possibly ripping my hair out with a tool.
I advised the braider that I would need them to blow dry my hair, but I didn’t think about detangling. Please pray for me you guys, if you can.
:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Chicoro

Did another K18 treatment last night and then put in deep conditioner which I have yet to rinse out. I think this is how I will do my K18 every month. I can definitely notice the difference with my hair. I'm not afraid to let my ends stay loose when I air dry. And I can definitely feel more moisture in my hair. Hopefully, it will continue improving over time.

I took down my flat twists this morning and my hair seemed better because my ends weren't all wrapped around each other. As far as retention, not sure how much I am retaining but I know I am retaining. I'm able to get my hair into 2 banana clip buns and tuck the ends under and that is on barely stretched hair. If I keep going this way I see a full bun by the end of the year. I will take it :yep:
What do you mean, please? See the bold.

LushLox

I tried Olaplex 3. I'm not impressed. Maybe it's more of a longterm maintenance thing or something that builds up after forever idk. My ends are still breaking off little curls. I have on an Aphogee treatment right now.

I wasn't that impressed when I first started using it either but you do notice improvement after consistent use. After using it for several years I wouldn't even consider not using it now. Olaplex is not a protein treatment so you will still need to use a reconstructor but in my opinion it really helps in combating breakage, I suffer from very little breakage these days.

I would recommend using it until you finish it, if you don't see any improvement then maybe don't bother, some people just don't need it.

caribeandiva

Human being
I’ll keep you in my prayers :pray:

apple_natural

I wasn't that impressed when I first started using it either but you do notice improvement after consistent use. After using it for several years I wouldn't even consider not using it now. Olaplex is not a protein treatment so you will still need to use a reconstructor but in my opinion it really helps in combating breakage, I suffer from very little breakage these days.

I would recommend using it until you finish it, if you don't see any improvement then maybe don't bother, some people just don't need it.
Aww thanks. I will do that. I'll keep it up! Thank you.
-

I put on Cantu leave in conditioner that I want to finish out. My hair feels great. I have a plan to start braiding it soon.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I noticed in some parts of my hair the ends are thinning out. I’ve been doing too much with my hair. I am still going to style it in a wash and go because buns are not it with my hair length.
Here is my new regimen going forward:

Weekly:
Prepoo and finger detangle
Shampoo 2x
Protein treatment 30 mins with heat
Moisture treatment 30 mins with heat
Style hair via Shingling
Diffuse for 10 minutes
Sit under dryer

Every other week Olaplex no 2 in place of protein treatment

Comb or Brush once a week during styling only
No mid week wash day or styling
If hair gets messed up it goes into a puff for the rest of the week until wash day.

Hopefully I can salvage the rest of my hair before it all breaks off. A part of me is rethinking straightening in the summer. I would like to get a blunt cut at SL and start over but let’s see how my ends look in August.

Last edited:

keranikki

My hair is braided in box braids. I mist my hair and scalp with water, Scurl, and an oil blend. My goal is to keep my hair as moisturized as possible. I was able to complete my Olaplex 0/3 treatment, wash, and DC this morning. The shop blowdried my hair.
Overall, my experience was pleasant. I hope everyone is doing well!

yamilee21

FYI, losing hair by the handfuls during/after Covid is a thing.

My ends are okay-ish, there are just fewer of them now. :rolleyes: It took ALL my strength to sit on a rickety 30 year old shower chair and wash my hair yesterday. I had to take a long nap just to be able to comb the shea mix and oil through it, and put it in a bun. This morning I put it into 10 twists that I hope won’t get tangled if the sack-bonnet-scarf thing cooperates and stays on my head.