Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Ladies. I’m thinking of doing “stretched” protective styles (like air drying my hair in pigtails, etc) like I did when I was transitioning.

it was easy stretching the relaxed ends and tucking them. As a natural, what are cons to “stretched” protective styling?? Any tips on combating your challenges?

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Ladies. I’m thinking of doing “stretched” protective styles (like air drying my hair in pigtails, etc) like I did when I was transitioning.

it was easy stretching the relaxed ends and tucking them. As a natural, what are cons to “stretched” protective styling?? Any tips on combating your challenges?
Hair tends to curl around one another, creating a velcro stickiness between them or curling upward into single strand knots. To combat this, one suggestion is to keep the ends heavily lubricated with oils and/or butters!

frizzy

Hi Ladies! :wave: I can't believe how long it's been since I last checked in. :look:

I'm still in the game of trying to achieve and maintain healthy ends. I'm super low maintenance with my hair (because I don't go out) these days, but I still maintain a weekly wash schedule and DCing with heat. The times when I'm too lazy to DC w/heat, I use a deep conditioner as a leave-in, coat hair with shea mix and flat twist or cornrows.

This past week I blow-dried and lightly straightened my hair with an electric hot comb then trimmed the ends for the first time since last Summer, when I was using clippers and doing homemade haircuts. :sad: It's grown more than I paid attention to and I'm proud of my little wedge-shaped hair! :lol: I admit, I was a little rough on the comb-out after I'd trimmed....but those new, blunt, velcro ends! :pullhair:

I contemplated doing some experimental styling my "straight" hair with flexirods and/or hot steam rollers, but came to my senses and cornrowed it straight back (for the first time) instead of flat twist to get some practice in on myself.

This morning I oiled my scalp, lightly sprayed with a leave-in and covered with a plastic cap and ( cheap BSS/Nick Cannon) turban for around the house.

I've been keeping to my personal rule of not sleeping without silk next to my hair.

Happy Hair Growing!

caribeandiva

Human being
Ladies, after several months of deliberation, I’ve decided to ditch my stylist once and for all and DIY my own dang hair. I didn’t start having setbacks until I started going to the salon regularly. The 2 years when I finally got my regimen right, with @Chicoro ’s help, my hair thrived. Then I started going to a highly recommended stylist who told me how horrible my hair looked. I realize every time I went to her, I was holding my breath waiting for bad news. I felt gaslit every time i left her chair. I don’t know what I’m doing to my own hair. Really?! I knew something had to give because I was supposed to go to her 3 months ago but I’ve been reluctant to. I decided to honor that feeling and trust myself more than her. I’m sticking to what works and gets me results.

Chicoro

Ladies, after several months of deliberation, I’ve decided to ditch my stylist once and for all and DIY my own dang hair. I didn’t start having setbacks until I started going to the salon regularly. The 2 years when I finally got my regimen right, with @Chicoro ’s help, my hair thrived. Then I started going to a highly recommended stylist who told me how horrible my hair looked. I realize every time I went to her, I was holding my breath waiting for bad news. I felt gaslit every time i left her chair. I don’t know what I’m doing to my own hair. Really?! I knew something had to give because I was supposed to go to her 3 months ago but I’ve been reluctant to. I decided to honor that feeling and trust myself more than her. I’m sticking to what works and gets me results.
I'm glad you have made the decision to trust yourself and listen to yourself. It sounds to be me that you wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and thought perhaps she was genuine and cared about your hair. If you don't feel good and were subconsciously avoiding to go and see her, your Higher Self was sending out Red Flags. You are nice and kind and would not intentionally do anyone harm. So, it may be hard for your to fathom or grasp that some people just aren't nice and don't mean you well. Also, this person came highly recommended and so why would she act a fool with you, right? Well, it happens. Always trust yourself.

Bravo to you!
Congratulations on your decision!

Chicoro

My hair is matted at the root. Child, I'm so tired. :(:confused::rolleyes:
I REJECT this!

I'm going to have me some cute hair, ya'll. I'm claiming it. Life ebbs and flows, with ups and downs. Right now, I feel like I'm river rafting in the middle of the ocean during a tumultuous storm. Woo! All I can do is hang on, matted hair and all! Pray for me, ya'll.

caribeandiva

Human being
Also, this person came highly recommended and so why would she act a fool with you, right?
Right! I think in my case jealousy played a part. I sensed it. I found myself avoid certain topics of conversation with her because she’d make little snide comments here and there. You’re right, It is hard for me to grapple with the fact that some people don’t wish me well cuz I’m not like that. My Higher self was definitely looking out for me. I’ve learned over the years to listen to that inner voice, that gut feeling. It’s saved me so many times.

caribeandiva

Human being
My hair is matted at the root. Child, I'm so tired. :(:confused::rolleyes:
I REJECT this!

I'm going to have me some cute hair, ya'll. I'm claiming it. Life ebbs and flows, with ups and downs. Right now, I feel like I'm river rafting in the middle of the ocean during a tumultuous storm. Woo! All I can do is hang on, matted hair and all! Pray for me, ya'll.
How does that happen? :shocked:

Chicoro

Right! I think in my case jealousy played a part. I sensed it. I found myself avoid certain topics of conversation with her because she’d make little snide comments here and there. You’re right, It is hard for me to grapple with the fact that some people don’t wish me well cuz I’m not like that. My Higher self was definitely looking out for me. I’ve learned over the years to listen to that inner voice, that gut feeling. It’s saved me so many times.
The challenge is to hear and act upon that inner voice as soon as you hear the message. It is hard to not doubt and to not question that Guidance.

GettingKinky

The matting at the root? Has happened all my life. That is why I have finger tangled my hair most of my life and I brought finger detangling to the mainstream of the natural hair movement.
I don’t know what you past experience is with detangling tools, but do you think it is possible that you experience matting at the root because you aren’t removing all of your shed hairs?

snoop

Was she looking for reasons to cut your hair at every visit? Was she creating reasons for you to have a "setback". (I put that in quotation marks because it sounds like you may not have actually been experience damage...?)

I'm glad that you're going to be doing your own hair. It won't be long until you have it set straight.

Chicoro

I don’t know what you past experience is with detangling tools, but do you think it is possible that you experience matting at the root because you aren’t removing all of your shed hairs?
It's possible. But even when my mother and cousin were caring for my hair when I was a child, they too struggled with the fact that my hair would always tangle at the root. It seems to be something that my hair tends to do!

Chicoro

That’s so odd. I can’t even imagine how that could happen- unless there are shed strands that wrap around at the root.
Nope. My hair texture was always problematic for me. That's why I developed processes to better understand my hair and help it to thrive. I've hit a speed bump lately, as it relates to my hair care, but hopefully things will turn back around.

caribeandiva

Human being
Was she looking for reasons to cut your hair at every visit? Was she creating reasons for you to have a "setback". (I put that in quotation marks because it sounds like you may not have actually been experience damage...?)

I'm glad that you're going to be doing your own hair. It won't be long until you have it set straight.
She wasn’t scissor happy. What bugged me, other than the snide comments, was that when I thought my hair was doing great she’d tell me otherwise. I thought my regimen was rock solid, giving me great results, she’d tell me I’m doing too much. Then I’d take her advice and do “less” (only deep condition and do protein treatments as needed not on schedule like I was doing) then I’d have “thin” ends that I neglected and should’ve done more to prevent. :dizzy: I felt like I was holding my breath each time I sat in her chair. It made me start to second guess myself and what I see in the mirror every day. That’s what I mean by gaslighting. After babying and growing out my hair for 2 years she said it looked horrible and that was during my first visit! I don’t have much luck with stylists it seems. *sigh*

Lylddlebit

It's possible. But even when my mother and cousin were caring for my hair when I was a child, they too struggled with the fact that my hair would always tangle at the root. It seems to be something that my hair tends to do!
I feel your pain. My hair does this too. Like @GettingKinky mentioned, mine is usually linked to shedding. However product build up or protein at the root can cause me a less severe occurrence of the same issue. I had two major matting sessions last year. I will start participating to show ya'll later this month when I trim. My baby's bald spots are gone now ! :cup::cup::yay::yay::yep::yep::yahoo::yahoo: So we ready to grow!

Chicoro

I feel your pain. My hair does this too. Like @GettingKinky mentioned, mine is usually linked to shedding. However product build up or protein at the root can cause me a less severe occurrence of the same issue. I had two major matting sessions last year. I will start participating to show ya'll later this month when I trim. My baby's bald spots are gone now ! :cup::cup::yay::yay::yep::yep::yahoo::yahoo: So we ready to grow!
What process and products did you use to get rid of the bald spots?

Lylddlebit

@Chicoro

My little girl’s bald spots were always habit related. She would pull her hair out to peach fuzz, scratch it out and rub it out from about 3/4 months until this most recent year(she’s 4). I just gave her time to grow out of it. I didn’t even style her hair until she was a year old. I just kept it clean, untangled and moisturized with headband around it…sometimes I would smooth down the front with hair butter . As as toddler I tried to gently correct her by moving her hands out of her hair or arm down when she was scratching, rubbing or pulling it but I wasn’t firm on that, since she was so young and didn’t really understand. The year she turned 3 she wore back-to-back protective styles and only got hair accessories on special occasions. That was the year I became more firm on her messing in her hair. That was also the year she also became consistent with keeping her headscarf on during sleeping without pulling it off. Now that she is preschool age and I've shown plenty of patience up to this point, I feel perfectly justified with threats: “Imma tear your little legs up if I catch you pulling them barrettes out!” :look::spinning: LOL. It's working, despite the fact that she doesn’t get half the punishment her little spoiled tail deserves lol. This is the longest window of time she has gone without pulling a plug of hair out or rubbing and scratching in a bald spot in. The last time that happened was March 2021. Getting her to stop scratching pulling and rubbing the horseshoe areas of her head made all the difference. Her hair problems were always habit related. Her hair always grew fine I just need her to keep it on her head. Before, when I got it to fill in a little, she would undo months of progress in no time with the rubbing, scratching and pulling. I am so glad she isn't doing that anymore.

I mainly use kiddie products or the ones suited for natural hair on her. Right now I am alternating between Curlie Cuties and Johnson’s Baby shampoo. I am alternating between the Oribe Moisture and control conditioner and Hairveda’s Methi Sativa Tea set(Sorry that both these conditioners are discontinued now. I stocked up on Hairveda right before the site went down. That is the only reason I still have some left). Her leaves-in are Carefree Curl Activator or Camile Rose Naturals Curl maker(that bottle is almost gone and she will be switching to Fro Babies leave-in conditioner once the bottle is gone. I will keep that Curlmaker in her rotation though. Her hair loves hair jelly and hair custard type products). Her sealers are pure safflower oil or Jane Carter’s Nourish and Shine butter(I have like 4 of the original jars left. I have heard the formulation changed to not be as good. I have checked the ingredients on the original the the current version and I see Lecithin replaced the soybean oil(which is an ingredient found in soybean oil so I am not sure if there is a true ingredient change or not). I plan to try the new version before I dismiss it though).

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I went for my 8-week trim and blowout yesterday, after taking my box braids out last Friday and completing my Olaplex 0/3 treatment. My hair did not need a trim, so I got a gloss service instead.
I think having my hair tucked away helped, but it’s not cost effective due to the style only lasting a month. $225 every month for braids is a bit much. I want to try doing twist updos on my own. It’s obvious my hair fairs very well when it’s hidden for a spell.

Chicoro

What if this is happening across the whole length of the hair, nor just the ends? The Velcro stickiness I mean.
This Velcro stickiness on the whole length of the hair is quite common. You may want to lubricate the entire strand from root to tip AND style your hair so that the hair is stretched and aligned parallel with the other hair: meaning no braids or twists. But maybe hair rolls or something similar.

Chicoro

Okay. My hair is no longer matted. I started detangling my dirty hairy 4:41. I finished at 7:41. It is my fault that I let my hair get like this. But, I must say that I have been doing the best that I can with it. Next, wash and light condition. Then, do Aphogee 2 Step. Then deep condition.

I stopped using Aphogee 2 Step because getting under a dryer to activate the Aphogee was exacerbating my melasma on my face. Well, my melasma is creeping back. I don’t care if I am about to look like a raccoon due to the heat darkening under my eyes and messing up my face. I’m putting this Aphogee 2 Step in my hair today.

I went to a beauty supply in Lyon yesterday and I found a bottle of Aphogee 2 Step. It was the only bottle there. Now, I got two full bottles in my stash. I’ll keep looking.

Time to was and condition my hair. Then do the Aphogee 2 Step and deep condition from root to tip!

ajoke

This Velcro stickiness on the whole length of the hair is quite common. You may want to lubricate the entire strand from root to tip AND style your hair so that the hair is stretched and aligned parallel with the other hair: meaning no braids or twists. But maybe hair rolls or something similar.
Thank you! I thought it meant my hair had split ends through the whole length or something. To be honest, I’m this close to relaxing or something. My current job keeps me so busy I don’t have the time my natural hair requires for styling ( i wash moisturise regularly etc). So I’ve been wearing a lace front wig, and my hairline has been badly affected. So it either natural with no edges or relaxed ( or something) at least with edges. I really wish I lived somewhere where I could pop into a natural hair salon and get my hair done, then pop out. Sigh. Sorry to put this on this thread - hope you guys don’t ban me

Chicoro

Thank you! I thought it meant my hair had split ends through the whole length or something. To be honest, I’m this close to relaxing or something. My current job keeps me so busy I don’t have the time my natural hair requires for styling ( i wash moisturise regularly etc). So I’ve been wearing a lace front wig, and my hairline has been badly affected. So it either natural with no edges or relaxed ( or something) at least with edges. I really wish I lived somewhere where I could pop into a natural hair salon and get my hair done, then pop out. Sigh. Sorry to put this on this thread - hope you guys don’t ban me
Thanks for sharing your honest feelings and true situation with us. Regarding finding a natural hair salon, if I were you , I’d do a search online and see who pops up. There may be someone who specializes in natural hair but as yet does not have her own shop. My gut says someone is around. You have to do what works best for you. If you want relax, there is no judgment here. Naturals who relax have some of the most gorgeous, relaxed hair!