Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

GGsKin

I also did an Olaplex treatment (1+2+4) over the weekend. I incorporated protein and moisture DCs, shampooed and used K18. I hadn't washed my hair for about 3 weeks so it was needed. Mainly my ends were in decent shape, but the crown ends still look like struggle. I trimmed all over, about one inch.

snoop

That’s exactly what happened to me with my stylist!

I'm not on Tiktok so I can't see the comments, but I feel people this often: Different length hairs doesn't automatically equal damage. Let's use nails as a stand-in for hair strands. You get a fresh manicure. This is equivalent to your trim/cut. Then one nail breaks. Does that mean all of your other nails are automatically damaged? But often times we cut the rest for aesthetics, not because the rest needed help.

Same with our hair. So many of the social media pics where they cut off so much hair is due to aesthetics, which is fine. But telling people that the split will travel all the way up your strand if you don't cut is dishonest. If you've ever tried splitting an already split strand, you know that you can't make it an inch up, let alone 10 or 16.

I also suspect that people who trim in twists will naturally have more of those "flicky bits" than someone who trims in stretched hair.

Thanks for sharing this video and sorry that you got a cut that you didn't really want.

caribeandiva

Human being
I'm not on Tiktok so I can't see the comments, but I feel people this often: Different length hairs doesn't automatically equal damage. Let's use nails as a stand-in for hair strands. You get a fresh manicure. This is equivalent to your trim/cut. Then one nail breaks. Does that mean all of your other nails are automatically damaged? But often times we cut the rest for aesthetics, not because the rest needed help.

Same with our hair. So many of the social media pics where they cut off so much hair is due to aesthetics, which is fine. But telling people that the split will travel all the way up your strand if you don't cut is dishonest. If you've ever tried splitting an already split strand, you know that you can't make it an inch up, let alone 10 or 16.

I also suspect that people who trim in twists will naturally have more of those "flicky bits" than someone who trims in stretched hair.

Thanks for sharing this video and sorry that you got a cut that you didn't really want.
Thank you for explaining so eloquently! I remember @Chicoro (I think it was her) saying that real natural hair isn’t like a wig where all the strands look perfect and uniform. I never forgot that. Someone forgot to update stylists on their information.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Thank you for explaining so eloquently! I remember @Chicoro (I think it was her) saying that real natural hair isn’t like a wig where all the strands look perfect and uniform. I never forgot that. Someone forgot to update stylists on their information.
It was me. So, don’t forget again. Go with your gut! Listen to yourself always!

luvableladii

Natural, type 4, medium & fine strands
Been lurking since earlier this year. Wanted to post how my ends are doing so far. I’m currently BSL in the back with natural layers.

Been implementing:
- dusting every 1-2 months
- curlsmith bond rehab salve (been excellent for me)
- shea butter (recently this month- been great with noticeable improvements in my retention and softness)

Please pay no mind to my greasy fingaz- it’s the shea butter :lachen:

36F1BD23-43CA-4785-9420-835F6D655277.jpeg
6E9369C6-949F-4E4F-B5F8-743EEFA986B9.jpeg
DE4954A9-0C22-4811-9D91-F273796F12ED.jpeg

Chicoro

Been lurking since earlier this year. Wanted to post how my ends are doing so far. I’m currently BSL in the back with natural layers.

Been implementing:
- dusting every 1-2 months
- curlsmith bond rehab salve (been excellent for me)
- shea butter (recently this month- been great with noticeable improvements in my retention and softness)

Please pay no mind to my greasy fingaz- it’s the shea butter :lachen:

View attachment 481767
View attachment 481769
View attachment 481771
I love me some Shea butter grease.

luvableladii

I love me some Shea butter grease.
I’m rolling back around to an enjoyment of shea. I tried it when I first went natural and even though I was excited, I wasn’t impressed. I will say my hair wasn’t in a healthy state, so my results were colored by that. But even when my hair was unhealthy, I started using shea butter in rinse-out products (shea butter based shampoo bars; cowashes), and they were very moisturizing. Since my hair is in a MUCH healthier state (I think the healthiest it’s ever been), I wanted to try shea butter as a leave-in again, so I’m back to whipping my own shea mix and having a much better time with it!

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
It's crazy how much different my ends feel from the rest of my hair. I had to

:swordfight: them so my hair is shorter but healthier. I think I'm cutting off the last of the color, or close to the last bit of color. I'm tired of having short hair, I might try and put some twists with extensions in.

Chicoro

I’m away from home. Took a cheap flight so I brought only carry on and limited liquids/hair products. I ran out of everything and my hair was dry, crunchy, dull, coated and crispy tangled on the ends.
So I had go full Magyver and jerry rig some do it yourself products:

1. glycerin-bought liquid glycerin from the pharmacy.
2. Vaseline/grease- can find this in the baby section of most stores including little corner markets.
3. Oil- usually you can find a small bottle of olive oil. I got lucky and came across som castor oil.
4. Any no rinse, leave in type of product- from the hair aisle in the grocery store. Normally, these types of products leave Afro textured hair dry and crunchy.
5. Hair gel- I got lucky and found some thick, strong hold gel. Found it at an Asian supermarket in town here.

How I use:

Wet hair, pour out or squeeze out 2 to 4 tablespoons of the No rinse product. Add in a tablespoon of liquid glycerin, a tablespoon of oil. Pull through hair. Tap roots with gel. Bantu knot section to juice it up and soak strands with moisture. Do this to all sections. Then come back to first braid, put a little Vaseline on hair section to lubricate the hair, lay down fuzzies and hold hair (pseudo Shea butter), then braid.

Chicoro

I am learning to consign to the fact that some days my hair looks and feels bad. Add to it that my body and face may all conspire together on the same day to look bad, too, so that face, hair and body look ugly.
Now I say, “I look ugly today,” shrug my shoulders and add, “Oh well!” like it really doesn’t matter and fully enjoy my day anyway! Because something is going to be looking better at least one time in the next few days. And if not, oh well! I used to let bad hair/face/body days mess with my well being. I got a new attitude and just try to work with what I got that day and move on with JOY!

Lylddlebit

Hera are a couple July photos:
My wet ends. My hair stretched with the new Revair (I am gradually cutting off the thin ends for uniformity). Please excuse the lighting I don't use filters or anything but my mudroom/laundry room had soft lighting in it. One bonus of little one's ends revved. She wanted to do it too lol

Attachments

• mywetendlittleone'srev.jpeg
    mywetendlittleone'srev.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 20
  • July Rev.jpeg
    July Rev.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 20

Napp

Ms. Nobody
So far I can stand the way I look with the bun. I've been using a donut to make my bun, putting a baggy on top and then putting a phony pony on top or wearing the bun as it is. When wash day rolled around my hair was stretched from the gel and bun maker I had absolutely no tangles and wash day was a breeze! I will continue doing this. On to week two with the bun!

luvableladii

Hera are a couple July photos:
My wet ends. My hair stretched with the new Revair (I am gradually cutting off the thin ends for uniformity). Please excuse the lighting I don't use filters or anything but my mudroom/laundry room had soft lighting in it. One bonus of little one's ends revved. She wanted to do it too lol
How do you like the revair?

Lylddlebit

I absolutely love it. I have the original one that came out in 2018 and the new digital one. I consider it worth every dollar and for as long as it is in existence I plan to keep it in my hair arsenal. It used to take me hours to blow dry my hair. I can stretch and dry my hair in under 30 minutes even when my hair is super thick TBL. I rarely loose a ball of hair bigger than a cherry. It is a must have for me and I have tried a lot of high end blow dryers over the years. It is the best tool that I use to stretch and dry my hair.

DVAntDany

Here is my update. I finally got a trim in late June. Didn't take off more than 1/4inch. My hair is not perfectly manicured in shape because I didn't get a curly cut when trimmed. The sides and back may not look as precise but the front looks a whole lot better without the hard angular curly cut.

My routine is super simple. I shampoo or cleansing co wash every few days. I try to be gentle when I detangle my hair. I either use gel or foam/mousse to style a wash and go. I stopped letting my hair get undefined or go longer than a week without cleansing and detangling my hair. I no longer air dry. I also bought elastic bands for thick hair to use for puffs. Regular scrunchies were too tight.

I do see length retention. My day 1 hair no longer looks so wonky even with the heaviest of products. I feel I need another 2 good years to see some real length and a shape that I want.