Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

caribeandiva

Human being
I felt like my hair was getting longer since last month but I didn’t allow myself to believe. So I took pictures this morning and I’m in shock! Also changed the lightbulbs in my bathroom but that’s a different story (hint: home decor thread) :lol:
10928CC7-EBC0-41D0-81D4-2EE7E471E100.jpeg
67ED2FCD-0A81-4D2D-8BDE-AFFD9D9A7AB7.jpeg

What have I been doing?
Same exact regimen @Chicoro helped me craft except I have the BKT in since October 1 and I take MSM in my orange juice daily.
So:
Shampoo and deep condition with -Satinique moisturizing shampoo and conditioner
-apply leave in. Either scurl or Satinique overnight repair treatment and then heat protectant
-blow dry with Revair or Revlon dryer brush
-Flatiron with Babyliss pro on 410-450
-apply hair serum and wrap hair at night

After 2 days of wear, I start moisturizing and putting my hair up with LOC method with shea butter. I do the 3 braids on my nape like you showed me and put my hair in a bun.

I also drink a cup of fenugreek tea in the morning. I wash my hair every 2 weeks now regardless of what happens. If it reverts after 2 days then still 2 weeks! :lol:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I felt like my hair was getting longer since last month but I didn’t allow myself to believe. So I took pictures this morning and I’m in shock! Also changed the lightbulbs in my bathroom but that’s a different story (hint: home decor thread) :lol:
View attachment 484311
View attachment 484313

What have I been doing?
Same exact regimen @Chicoro helped me craft except I have the BKT in since October 1 and I take MSM in my orange juice daily.
So:
-apply leave in. Either scurl or Satinique overnight repair treatment and then heat protectant

After 2 days of wear, I start moisturizing and putting my hair up with LOC method with shea butter. I do the 3 braids on my nape like you showed me and put my hair in a bun.

I also drink a cup of fenugreek tea in the morning. I wash my hair every 2 weeks now regardless of what happens. If it reverts after 2 days then still 2 weeks! :lol:
Wooo! Great progress!

Your skin is different, too. How much MSM do you take per day? What's the brand, please?
Look at how much smoother your forehead is in the second picture. Also, there is less texture on your skin across your cheeks and nose!

Not only can I spot a Shea butter user, now I can spot and MSM internal user. MSM makes the skin MAGNIFICENT.

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
Wooo! Great progress!

Your skin is different, too. How much MSM do you take per day? What's the brand, please?
Look at how much smoother your forehead is in the second picture. Also, there is less texture on your skin across your cheeks and nose!
Thank you! My skin does look different now that you mention it. I know the tone looks different because I switched to daylight bulbs in my bathroom. So no more orange tint. I also switched my makeup primer from the L’oreal infallible mattifying primer 6B8980A9-579A-489B-A463-874FB8BD68BF.jpeg

to the Artistry studio hydro primer makeup primer. It’s now discontinued unfortunately.

8CF7676B-4C00-48F8-8246-616477D1FC58.png

I take one tablespoon of this MSM powder with orange juice or another vitamin C beverage. https://shop.sprouts.com/search?search_term=msm crystals&search_is_autocomplete

A61675F4-D1E8-447A-8CC6-EE8AAB04B1FA.jpeg

GGsKin

View attachment 484311
View attachment 484313

What have I been doing?
So:

@caribeandiva Great progress! I'm loving your new lighting too.

Chicoro

Thank you! My skin does look different now that you mention it. I know the tone looks different because I switched to daylight bulbs in my bathroom. So no more orange tint. I also switched my makeup primer from the L’oreal infallible mattifying primer View attachment 484319

to the Artistry studio hydro primer makeup primer. It’s now discontinued unfortunately.

View attachment 484317

I take one tablespoon of this MSM powder with orange juice or another vitamin C beverage. https://shop.sprouts.com/search?search_term=msm crystals&search_is_autocomplete

View attachment 484321
It's the MSM! It youthens the face. Look at you turning back the hands of time!

sunnieb

@LushLox I have always clarified weekly as part of my normal shampoo/dc routine.

I'm still amazed that I can goop my ends with Vaseline at night and wake up with bouncy hair. But I only do the very ends, like last 2 inches. So it's not like I'm going from root to tip. I don't think my relaxed hair could take all of that.

Plus, I cowash 3x a week. My hair is getting rinsed in some form or fashion, so no time for buildup.

Chicoro

MSM optimizes the internal environment so that hair can do its thing, unhindered.

@caribeandiva
I’ve seen your hair at this length before, and even longer, especially this area that has dropped in length.

Your particular challenge is identifying what causes breakage and how to avoid it. Your hair has always gained lots of length.

Stay vigilant! Okay observe your hair. The moment you start to get even the SLIGHTEST breakage! STOP!!!!! And see what is happening and fix it!

Around bra-strap is your breakpoint nemesis. You have got to figure out what gets in the way for you. Based upon my casual observation of your hair situation, it has been something different each time.

That’s alright, though. You are inching closer to a solution! Keep going but stay vigilant!

caribeandiva

Human being
MSM optimizes the internal environment so that hair can do its thing, unhindered.

@caribeandiva
I’ve seen your hair at this length before, and even longer, especially this area that has dropped in length.

Your particular challenge is identifying what causes breakage and how to avoid it. Your hair has always gained lots of length.

Stay vigilant! Okay observe your hair. The moment you start to get even the SLIGHTEST breakage! STOP!!!!! And see what is happening and fix it!

Around bra-strap is your breakpoint nemesis. You have got to figure out what gets in the way for you. Based upon my casual observation of your hair situation, it has been something different each time.

That’s alright, though. You are inching closer to a solution! Keep going but stay vigilant!
Thank you! Will do! :yep:

caribeandiva

Human being
What I’ve learned about my hair so far from all of my years of being on this board and my major setbacks:

- Keep my iron levels in check. Make sure I take my iron supplements because I’m anemic. That’s what caused setback #1 when I was still relaxed.
- Then I went natural and wore wash and gos ONLY and finger detangled exclusively for years! Big mistake! My mom who had long, natural hair all the way up till her early 20s told me not to do that. She said to keep my hair stretched and pressed with a hot comb sometimes. I was like: “nope! I’m no heat and low manipulation.” :hand: Of course she was right. Now I know my hair prefers to be straight. It just thrives that way. Less tangles, less single strand knots, easier to comb through it, etc… I know everyone’s hair is different. You gotta figure out what’s best for you. :yep:
- I need to moisturize and seal it properly. It needs a heavy sealant not a light one like I was using before (grape seed oil). For years I wasn’t even sealing with oil, just moisturizing. :blush: Sealing with shea butter was a game changer for me. My hair is very dry and must be moisturized and sealed every 2-3 days.
- I need to treat my nape area differently. The middle of my head tends to break off. That’s why I now moisturize, seal and braid it separately from the rest of my hair. I do 3 braids stacked on top of each other then gather all of my hair in a bun afterwards.
- Of course deep conditioning is a non negotiable. I gotta do it every time I wash my hair. My hooded dryer is a life saver! Protein treatments too.

Chicoro

What I’ve learned about my hair so far from all of my years of being on this board and my major setbacks:

- Keep my iron levels in check. Make sure I take my iron supplements because I’m anemic. That’s what caused setback #1 when I was still relaxed.
- Then I went natural and wore wash and gos ONLY and finger detangled exclusively for years! Big mistake! My mom who had long, natural hair all the way up till her early 20s told me not to do that. She said to keep my hair stretched and pressed with a hot comb sometimes. I was like: “nope! I’m no heat and low manipulation.” :hand: Of course she was right. Now I know my hair prefers to be straight. It just thrives that way. Less tangles, less single strand knots, easier to comb through it, etc… I know everyone’s hair is different. You gotta figure out what’s best for you. :yep:
- I need to moisturize and seal it properly. It needs a heavy sealant not a light one like I was using before (grape seed oil). For years I wasn’t even sealing with oil, just moisturizing. :blush: Sealing with shea butter was a game changer for me. My hair is very dry and must be moisturized and sealed every 2-3 days.
- I need to treat my nape area differently. The middle of my head tends to break off. That’s why I now moisturize, seal and braid it separately from the rest of my hair. I do 3 braids stacked on top of each other then gather all of my hair in a bun afterwards.
- Of course deep conditioning is a non negotiable. I gotta do it every time I wash my hair. My hooded dryer is a life saver! Protein treatments too.
Keep your assessments written down somewhere so you can review them. It seems like you are getting a handle on what created setbacks for you. The hard part is knowing at were the setbacks. You've figured the hard part out. I think you are going to slide into the home stretch of 2022 with the the longest luscious ends by Decembe 31st!

caribeandiva

Human being
Keep your assessments written down somewhere so you can review them. It seems like you are getting a handle on what created setbacks for you. The hard part is knowing at were the setbacks. You've figured the hard part out. I think you are going to slide into the home stretch of 2022 with the the longest luscious ends by Decembe 31st!
From your lips to God’s ears!
A1288EC7-D46E-42D6-9D09-F2C63224C483.gif

Napp

Ms. Nobody
The first one! I am washing my hair once a week. BUT, but, I personally wet the front of my hair. Why? To remove old gel so that it doesn't build up. I also wet the front of my hair in the morning, RE-APPLY SCURL just to the front, then I put on fresh gel and slick it back down.

SOMETIMES right before I put the bag on in the morning, I spray down ONLY my braids with my conditioner concoction. It contains essential oils to cut down on 'bugs' in the aqueous, water based solution. I then put back on my baggie for the day.
I re gel the entire left out portion nightly just to keep it neat and I feel like this is my way of moisturizing the gelled portion. I use one layer of moisturizing gel and one layer of protein gel to minimize breakage. It is working for me right now.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Yes, I saw that you mentioned it! If it is working for you, great. But I thought you mentioned that when you first started there was an odor at the end of the week. I could be wrong. It it works ladies -USE IT!!!!
I was using Camille rose Curlaide to seal my hair and using a watery leave in to moisturize. Now I use a butter cream to moisturize and seal with blue magic. Now my hair stays damp ish instead of soaking wet and doesn’t smell sour like before.

Chicoro

I re gel the entire left out portion nightly just to keep it neat and I feel like this is my way of moisturizing the gelled portion. I use one layer of moisturizing gel and one layer of protein gel to minimize breakage. It is working for me right now.
What are the two gels, please?