Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
What I’ve learned about my hair so far from all of my years of being on this board and my major setbacks:

- Keep my iron levels in check. Make sure I take my iron supplements because I’m anemic. That’s what caused setback #1 when I was still relaxed.
- Then I went natural and wore wash and gos ONLY and finger detangled exclusively for years! Big mistake! My mom who had long, natural hair all the way up till her early 20s told me not to do that. She said to keep my hair stretched and pressed with a hot comb sometimes. I was like: “nope! I’m no heat and low manipulation.” :hand: Of course she was right. Now I know my hair prefers to be straight. It just thrives that way. Less tangles, less single strand knots, easier to comb through it, etc… I know everyone’s hair is different. You gotta figure out what’s best for you.
- I need to moisturize and seal it properly. It needs a heavy sealant not a light one like I was using before (grape seed oil). For years I wasn’t even sealing with oil, just moisturizing. :blush: Sealing with shea butter was a game changer for me. My hair is very dry and must be moisturized and sealed every 2-3 days.
- I need to treat my nape area differently. The middle of my head tends to break off. That’s why I now moisturize, seal and braid it separately from the rest of my hair. I do 3 braids stacked on top of each other then gather all of my hair in a bun afterwards.
- Of course deep conditioning is a non negotiable. I gotta do it every time I wash my hair. My hooded dryer is a life saver! Protein treatments too.
Don't forget the most aggressive set-back: A scissors-happy, stylist who was not very nice to you and KEPT your hair short. She also was unsupportive and made fun of your choices as it related to hair. Don't forget about her! Too often these kinds of people come in 'sheep's clothing' in the form of high recommendations. But then, they turn out to be bad for the hair, self-esteem and one's Spiritual peace. They are dangerous because they present themselves and are praised by others for being 'an expert'. Always listen to your inner voice.

It does't matter how highly recommended someone comes into your life to provide a service. If you don't feel good about them, LISTEN to yourself. I think this is the last set-back I noticed on your journey. Vigilance, always!

snoop

I’m also working on my scalp health in 2022. In 2020 I had gotten my scalp to a really good state, using my ACV mix on my scalp every few days. I fell off that completely this year and the flakes have returned with a vengeance. I’m going to return to my ACV mix as well as try out these products by the Inkey List

I know how to take care of the length of my hair so 2022 is all about nailing the details.. my scalp and ends.

Bumping this post. Did you end up buying? If so what do you think? They've already started their Black Friday sale so I'm thinking of picking some up. I haven't used a scalp exfoliating product since Komaza stopped selling theirs. I'm open to suggestions.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Newest Wetline?

The one with this label. It doesn’t make my hair hard so I re apply it daily. I think I’ll eventually use another gel because I want more hold. I hate seeing my hair stick up all over at the end of the day like I’m a little kid lol

caribeandiva

Human being
Don't forget the most aggressive set-back: A scissors-happy, stylist who was not very nice to you and KEPT your hair short. She also was unsupportive and made fun of your choices as it related to hair. Don't forget about her! Too often these kinds of people come in 'sheep's clothing' in the form of high recommendations. But then, they turn out to be bad for the hair, self-esteem and one's Spiritual peace. They are dangerous because they present themselves and are praised by others for being 'an expert'. Always listen to your inner voice.

It does't matter how highly recommended someone comes into your life to provide a service. If you don't feel good about them, LISTEN to yourself. I think this is the last set-back I noticed on your journey. Vigilance, always!
Thank you!! I forgot about that one. Yes it was definitely the most aggressive setback. Subtle too. Had I not finally woken up and stopped going to her, I would KEEP having setbacks. Thank goodness I started trusting myself more than her and listening to that still, small voice within. No “expert” is worth costing me my peace. Not to let anyone keep taking little jabs at me and tolerating it. I learned so much from that experience. Never again!

Chicoro

My ends have finally stopped breaking. My hair has finally stopped breaking. The baggie and vaseline definitely did the trick. Now it's time to take the road back to healthy, luscious ends. It's going to take me about 6 to 10 months to get back the length in inches and thickness I lost.

I'm going to keep @caribeandiva in mind literally and figuratively. Her hair turned around so quickly. That's so encouraging to see.

caribeandiva

Human being
My ends have finally stopped breaking. My hair has finally stopped breaking. The baggie and vaseline definitely did the trick. Now it's time to take the road back to healthy, luscious ends. It's going to take me about 6 to 10 months to get back the length in inches and thickness I lost.

I'm going to keep @caribeandiva in mind literally and figuratively. Her hair turned around so quickly. That's so encouraging to see.
Yay!! I’m glad I could inspire you and others! You got this! Keep going!

Mapleoats

Bumping this post. Did you end up buying? If so what do you think? They've already started their Black Friday sale so I'm thinking of picking some up. I haven't used a scalp exfoliating product since Komaza stopped selling theirs. I'm open to suggestions.
Yes I did! I liked the salicylic treatment best and would repurchase it. The glycolic Acid one was okay too but the beads would get stuck in my hair so I stopped using it.

i will say tho that the best thing for my scalp that I've found this year to be the melanin hair care black soap shampoo! For my strands it's meh not bad but not the best, but for my scalp it is everything! Keeps my scalp clean and balanced and flake free

Chicoro

What do you ladies think about baggying and Hygral fatigue?

Keeping hair constantly wet and moist can weaken the hair, ie. can create a hygral fatigue. I am someone who keeps my hair wet bunned. It works for me. I look at the overall picture. My hair is always chronically dry. For me, the baggie has proven to be helpful in alleviating dryness. The drawback is the possibilty of experiencing breakage and damage due to hygral fatigue. For me personally, I have to pick my poison: chronically dry hair that breaks or risking breakage from hygral fatigue with my wet baggie. My safe-stop is the use of hard protein, like Aphogee 2 Step.

@Napp, what are your thoughts on hygral fatigue?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Keeping hair constantly wet and moist can weaken the hair, ie. can create a hygral fatigue. I am someone who keeps my hair wet bunned. It works for me. I look at the overall picture. My hair is always chronically dry. For me, the baggie has proven to be helpful in alleviating dryness. The drawback is the possibilty of experiencing breakage and damage due to hygral fatigue. For me personally, I have to pick my poison: chronically dry hair that breaks or risking breakage from hygral fatigue with my wet baggie. My safe-stop is the use of hard protein, like Aphogee 2 Step.

I’m not sure if I believe in hygral fatigue. Baggying has allowed me to retain all my length in the last few months so I don’t want to stop. I do protein treatments on wash days in order to counteract all the moisture which is probably why I’m having so much success.

Chicoro

I’m not sure if I believe in hygral fatigue. Baggying has allowed me to retain all my length in the last few months so I don’t want to stop. I do protein treatments on wash days in order to counteract all the moisture which is probably why I’m having so much success.
I do the same: counteract with a protein product! Anything is possible, including 'hygral fatigue'. This is why I always say, growing afro-textured hair is a THINKING Game. You've got to analyze and understand your situation and determine what works best for you. That requires analysis and thought!

Glad to hear your hair is continuing to thrive!

snoop

Same. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about professional swimmers to look a few up, but I imagine they'd (the women) would have cruddy hair, or short hair, or short cruddy hair if it were a thing. We can't be the only ones whose hair gets wet while wearing a swim cap....

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I do the same: counteract with a protein product! Anything is possible, including 'hygral fatigue'. This is why I always say, growing afro-textured hair is a THINKING Game. You've got to analyze and understand your situation and determine what works best for you. That requires analysis and thought!

I was doing some reading in old posts and they mentioned using coconut oil to prevent hygral fatigue. I wonder if using Vaseline/petroleum products works in the same way? I’m still doing my research. That may be a reason my hair is thriving with the baggy.

Lylddlebit

What do you ladies think about baggying and Hygral fatigue?
Like you reported,I don't have many issues with this as long as I balance wiht protein. When I baggy, I will baggy my whole head with a shower cap. I don;t notice many negative effects... even when I do this back to back for months at a time. I have done the back to back whole head baggy, where I rewash and repeat weekly for months at a time while wearing a wig on time for a hair boost and that works well for me during setbacks.

caribeandiva

Human being

Lawwddd… reading these 2 posts got me thankful that I did a hard protein treatment yesterday (Thanksgiving)! I use Aphogee 2 step too.

caribeandiva

Human being
Same. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about professional swimmers to look a few up, but I imagine they'd (the women) would have cruddy hair, or short hair, or short cruddy hair if it were a thing. We can't be the only ones whose hair gets wet while wearing a swim cap....
Good point! I took swim lessons recently and all of the girls including my teacher and the lifeguards had awesome hair! In fact I commented on it. My teacher told me that she has a friend who has very long curly red hair and her hair is glorious too even though she too is a swimmer and a lifeguard and is in the pool all day. They use swimmer shampoo and keep their hair well conditioned.

Last edited:

snoop

Good point! I took swim lessons recently and all of the girls including my teacher and the lifeguards had awesome hair! In fact I commented on it. My teacher told me that she has a friend who has very long curly red hair and her hair is glorious too even though she too is a swimmer and a lifeguard and is in the pool all day. They use swimmer shampoo and keep their hair well conditioned.

Thanks for asking!

snoop

Yes I did! I liked the salicylic treatment best and would repurchase it. The glycolic Acid one was okay too but the beads would get stuck in my hair so I stopped using it.

i will say tho that the best thing for my scalp that I've found this year to be the melanin hair care black soap shampoo! For my strands it's meh not bad but not the best, but for my scalp it is everything! Keeps my scalp clean and balanced and flake free

I ended up buying the Inkey Salicylic exfoliator. I haven't tried it, yet.

snoop

I can tell my ends need trimming. They're starting to act up in the way that they do when they need to be taken care of with the scissors.

In January, I schedule my trims for the year. I just set the calendar even to occur every 3 months. My calendar is saying that my final trim for 2022 is supposed to be next week, but I'm going to try to postpone it to as close to NYE as possible.

LushLox

I did trims six weeks apart from the other just recently. I don't usually trim that regularly, but I think it's going to help me in the longer term. I'm going to do one more trim at 8 weeks at the end of January then I'm going to baby the heck out of these ends (well I've been doing that anyway lol). I shouldn't need to trim again until the summer and then I'll do another one in the winter.

I rarely suffer from dryness now which is great, and my hair just seems to style more easily.

faithVA

I'm not caught up on the thread so just going to jump in here and pretend like I know what is going on :lol:

Work is super busy and I do the bare minimum with my hair. Right now I shampoo, condition and put it in twist to air dry and tell myself I will style later. I typically end up at the next wash day with my hair still in air drying style. I typically cleanse and condition every 7 days but I think lately it has been more like 10 to 14 days but I'm losing track.

My ends seem to be OK especially since they aren't seeing much manipulation. Since I just had a trim in October, I probably will only clip splits that are easy to find in December.

I need to pick up some K18 to help keep my hair healthy. But I have been procrastinating this for months now :sad:

Chicoro

Alright, we are four (4) days away from the month of December, the LAST month in the year. If you like, you can use these four days to reflect on where you were, where you are and where you would like to go. December can be the reset month or it can be the final, culmination of staying on track, like @Napp and @caribeandiva , you smart lucky ladies!

Thirty four (34) days, what we have left in 2022, is ENOUGH time to verify that your processes are working or to verify that any change you've implemented is working. On the contrary, it's enough time to realize and see that something is not working.

We're going to focus on the positive! If you can, take some extra time with you and your hair and ENJOY the JOURNEY!

Last edited:

Chicoro

I found a beautiful, shiny, grey hair that was about 20 inches long. I pulled it out! I have no idea where it was hiding so long in my head or how long it's been growing. There was a tiny knot and bend on the end of the hair. The rest was intact.

I'm loving my baggied hair and ends. My hair is super soft and manageable. My tangles and breakage continue to lessen each wash cycle.

My goal is to get past my current break point, which is around tailbone length. I'm going for hanging-over- the -booty, length. My issue is either my hair is at its terminal length or, I've yet to figure out how to preserve my length past tailbone. I think it is the latter: I need to figure how to preserver/retain my length after tailbone. I am currently in a grow then break cycle, at tailbone length.

What I need to do is to get past this current break point at tailbone length. There is something I am missing or not doing correctly for my hair. I think my LACK of consistency with my hair is a huge part of the problem. I hope to do better in the coming months. I see improvement in my consistency. I'll keep you posted!

Last edited: