Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2023

What would you like to address and improve as it relates to having luscious, healthy ends?

• Breakage

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Thinness

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Unevenness

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Split Ends

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Dryness

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • Roughness

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Knots

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Dullness

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

Tangles

Hey! Welcome @Tangles !
Come in and rest and lay your head down in this thread. Once you’ve rested up, let us know what you need or want so we can fortify you during your journey. You’re here. You’ve made it. Rest up with us and just ‘be’. When you’re ready, we’re here.
Hi Chicoro,
First let me say thank you for the kind words. Second, I still have just about all of the hair newsletters you used to send out about different hair practices and such. Third, the main problem with my hair is laziness; nobody can fix that but me:curtain:. I'm in braids the majority of the year and I don't always take care of my hair so my ends suffer. I've been so fixated on length that when my ends are in rough shape, I don't get them trimmed, not properly anyway. I'm just in this vicious cycle; it's self-inflicted but I'm going to try to get out of this year. Just doing a little whining y'all. And yes, I think I will join you all in this challenge:circle:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Hi Chicoro,
First let me say thank you for the kind words. Second, I still have just about all of the hair newsletters you used to send out about different hair practices and such. Third, the main problem with my hair is laziness; nobody can fix that but me:curtain:. I'm in braids the majority of the year and I don't always take care of my hair so my ends suffer. I've been so fixated on length that when my ends are in rough shape, I don't get them trimmed, not properly anyway. I'm just in this vicious cycle; it's self-inflicted but I'm going to try to get out of this year. Just doing a little whining y'all. And yes, I think I will join you all in this challenge:circle:
Thank you for the feedback. You can whine in this thread because I’m in France, you gone get some cheese with it, too! I don’t think it’s laziness regarding your hair. Sometimes, when we are overwhelmed we tend to put things off or give things minimum attention.

snoop

So insightful!!! I had a similar experience with Shea Moisture. I tried the pink line and my hair was wrecked after one use. It took me weeks to get my hair back together. It's crazy how a head of hair can react so strongly to a product line.

This is why when people say that you need to try a product for a few weeks to get your hair to adapt to it before you can decide if you like it, I'm like, "nahhh.."

If I try it the first time and get straw-like hair, I'm gone. If I try it the first time and my hair doesn't feel any different than before, then I'll give it a few more chances. If I try it the first time and my hair makes me feel like Beyonce, then I'm keeping it.

Chicoro

Would someone like to break down the lunar calendar trimming method for me, please?
Please start with post 239 from this thread posted by @VinDieselsWifey

Chicoro

I’ve trimmed as much as my nerves can take. I put some castor and moringa oil on my ends. I plan to wash and deep condition this weekend possibly use some olaplex on my ends.
You took a huge step today because inspite of discomfort you did it.

And now you are here. You did it!

You've tackled that first mountain.

Celebrate your win, @Tangles ! This was not a small thing for you. Really celebrate your win!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

snoop

Please allow me to vent. Today is COLD! My hands are hurting from being outside with gloves on. I wasn't even out long.

The story:

Yesterday, I washed my hair and installed loose medium twists. I wrapped my hair as per @GGsKin 's tutorial to keep the twists stretched.

This morning I get up and wasn't feeling like being cute. I never do in winter. I'm about practically when I see snow outside. In my mind, snow equals cold. Done. So I put on some thermal tights, jogging pants, and a hoodie. My head tie is still on, but I convince myself that none of y'all are here to scold me about looking like a bum. Cool.

Now it's time to get ready to go out. I check my phone and it's saying:

Screenshot_20230203_083918_One UI Home.jpg

That's 3.2F. That's not ok. I didn't even bother to check what it was like with wind but right now it's -14C/6.8F and it feels like -23C/-9.3, so I imagine with the wind it was even colder.

In any case, I can take the smart way out of this or the lazy way out. The smart way out is something that I learned form Naptural85 and use every winter. (I can't find the video.) You take a plastic steam cap and place it under your winter hat. I find that this helps to keep the wind and cold off of your hair. It also means that I don't have to avoid humectants in winter.

The lazy way is to put a hat on and go. Guess what I did?

InShot_20230203_112512618.jpg

I really didn't want to have to wrestle with trying to stretch my hair again tonight since I want it stretched for when I go out tomorrow, but the plastic cap would have been the best idea. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my hair is fine.

(My daughter's teacher told them about how her hair froze this morning! She went out with wet hair. When I was coming back home from the store, a dad was trying to load his baby into the car. Her eyes were watering and the water froze to her little cheek.)

Chicoro

Picture with pony shows I don't have any wiry hairs sticking out the crown like I usually have. And my hair is soft, soft, soft, soft!

Picture at right is after clay wash and conditioner. My hair shrinks up to my jawbone when I release and my hair is so manageable and easy to handle.

Picture on bottom with curls and ends out. I no longer have velcro, sticky ends at ANY point of my wash and conditioning process because of the clays.

Hair Jan 27th 2023.jpgLength Check Jan 29 2923 C.jpg

Length Check Jan 29 2023 D .jpg

I saved up my little money and tomorrow I'm going to Aroma Zone in Lyon, France. I'm buying me all the clays I can get my little paws on.

Now, if I can figure out how to store the clay without kicking up a dust storm every time I go to use them.

This is how I'd be feeling!

Chicoro

I'm a little bit spooked because I started off 2022 with great hair results, too. Then, my shedded hair started to weigh 1 pound and be larger than a hamster after my washes. But then again, I got too comfy and neglected my hair.

We are solidly into February. So, stay vigilant. That's what I didn't do in 2022. I got this.

Chicoro

During my trip into town, I stopped at the mall first. This little guy was there. He was so cute, so I asked If I could take his photo. I asked the human holding him, not the dog. Needed to clarify those pronouns!

Aroma Zone Feb 4th, 2023 A.jpg

Aroma Zone Feb 4th, 2023 B.jpg

Then I headed for the raison d'être, the reason for the trip!

The outside of the store!
Aroma Zone Feb 4th, 2023 C.jpg

The clay aisle. It says clays and salts on the sign sitting atop the display. The other black sign,
posted like a stop sign says:

Utilize the testers! The essential oils and fragrances are to be handled with caution. For [your] security and
well being, ask for our guidance [counseling]. Together we can fight against waste. Thank you!

Aroma Zone Feb 4th, 2023 D.jpg

Here are my initial selections. But I ended putting back the green clay since I still have some at home. I
ended up purchasing five (5) packets:
1. fuller's earth
2. violet clay
3. white clay
4. rhassoul clay
5. rose clay

One day before, on Friday, I visited a health food store in the small town where I live. There, I picked up a white clay, too. It's not pictured. Regarding clays, I should be good until at least August or September, if not for the whole year.

I also bought some more goat milk. I use it for my clay mixes and for my bath. I think I have enough charcoal for now.

I met a friend in town. She remarked on how beautiful my hair was. We discussed the clays a bit. Green and white clay are easy to find in pharmacies in France. The more exotic ones have to be bought at Aroma Zone or online.

Aroma Zone Feb 4th, 2023 E.jpgAroma Zone Feb 4th, 2023 F.jpg

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

I am still in! I have been chilling in moisturized braids under my silk lined cap. I unbraid one of the braids in the front and swoop it for a bang. This weekend I am going to Revair my hair and check my hemline. No cut or particular style is planned for this weekend but stretched out hair should hold up a few weeks for low manipulation. After the first week, I may put it in an updo or stretched twists. It should last for 2-4 weeks before I need to wash and moisturize.

I had to cut out about a dozen single strand knots after the two back-to-back wash and goes I tried. Not bad, but I usually don't get single strand knots anymore. That doesn't deter me form keeping the wash and goes in rotation. Cutting off the residual bad ends should limit that, already small, amount of knots even further. The knots I cut off were at the very ends that would've be cut of by the end of April anyway. They weren't even an inch up my hemline.

Anyway, this is my style for last week and this week. Styled enough to make an appearance. Protected enough to thicken and grow these ends lol.

Attachments

• UnderneathTheCap.jpg
    UnderneathTheCap.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 41
  • The presentation.jpg
    The presentation.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Chicoro

I am still in! I have been chilling in moisturized braids under my silk lined cap. I unbraid one of the braids in the front and swoop it for a bang. This weekend I am going to Revair my hair and check my hemline. No cut or particular style is planned for this weekend but stretched out hair should hold up a few weeks for low manipulation. After the first week, I may put it in an updo or stretched twists. It should last for 2-4 weeks before I need to wash and moisturize.

I had to cut out about a dozen single strand knots after the two back-to-back wash and goes I tried. Not bad, but I usually don't get single strand knots anymore. That doesn't deter me form keeping the wash and goes in rotation. Cutting off the residual bad ends should limit that, already small, amount of knots even further. The knots I cut off were at the very ends that would've be cut of by the end of April anyway. They weren't even an inch up my hemline.

Anyway, this is my style for last week and this week. Styled enough to make an appearance. Protected enough to thicken and grow these ends lol.
Your hair looks so soft and silky!

Tangles

Since I finally figured out the picture situation from the Crown and Glory challenge. I might as well post these Bantu-Not! out pics in all the challenges I'm a part of for participation credit:giggle:.

Attachments

• Bantu knot-After.jpg
    Bantu knot-After.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Bantu Side view.jpg
    Bantu Side view.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Bantu Knots.jpg
    Bantu Knots.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 42

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Last week was my first wash for February, using the capillary schedule. Prepooing my hair with Aloe Vera gel and Giovanni Avocado conditioner was surprisingly awesome! My scalp felt clean and my hair felt moisturized before the shampoo. I almost didn’t shampoo, because my hair and scalp felt great.
I proceeded with the DE Agave and Lavender shampoo and was disappointed. My hair didn’t feel good anymore. The conditioner made my hair feel a little bit better, but not as good as the Aloe Vera/conditioner combo.
Today, I prepooed with Olaplex 0/3 and heat for 20 minutes. Then I did a Clay wash. I switched out the marshmallow root and cloves for Aloe Vera gel and essential oils. The clay wash was great, but a bit messy. It has my curls popping! I’m getting ready to wash out my DC.
I perused the Lunar chart from MIM that was posted and watched the video. I’m going to dust my ends today, since it’s lengthening day, then dust next month on thickening day. I was trying to hold out until the end of this month, but I keep seeing tiny hairs. I know I don’t need to cut much, hence why I’m just going to dust my ends.

Lylddlebit

Hair is stretched with the revair. It is not fully stretched to wear out or prep for flat ironing. I just stretched it enough to check out my hemline since my December trim. My hemline is still on track. The texture left in my strands is intentional and I am satisfied. I only had 2 additional single strand knots to cut out that I missed. Both knots were at the bottom of my hemline. Finding those is one of the reasons I like to alternate between stretched, shrunken and straightened styles. When I practice alternating the state of my hair, it helps me to get ahead of a hair issue one state would have camouflaged. When my hair is on point in every state, it is its healthiest.

I want this stretch to last for 3-4 weeks. I was thinking of wearing it out for the first week then a protective style until my next wash day. However, if it doesn't tangle, I may stick with the silk lined cap all 3-4 weeks and not style it in extra ways until wash day. The back doesn't look as even as it actually is. That is because I didn't comb out the ends like I did on the picture of the front combined with the extra texture. I will continue to check on it until my April trim but when I was looking at it, yesterday, in a double mirror, it looked even. So I am not worried about the view in today's photo.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Texture.jpg
    Texture.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Chicoro

Since I finally figured out the picture situation from the Crown and Glory challenge. I might as well post these Bantu-Not! out pics in all the challenges I'm a part of for participation credit:giggle:
Since I finally figured out the picture situation from the Crown and Glory challenge. I might as well post these Bantu-Not! out pics in all the challenges I'm a part of for participation credit:giggle:.
Beautiful , soft and cottony hair!

snoop

During my trip into town, I stopped at the mall first. This little guy was there. He was so cute, so I asked If I could take his photo. I asked the human holding him, not the dog. Needed to clarify those pronouns!

View attachment 486815

View attachment 486817

Then I headed for the raison d'être, the reason for the trip!

The outside of the store!
View attachment 486819

The clay aisle. It says clays and salts on the sign sitting atop the display. The other black sign,
posted like a stop sign says:

Utilize the testers! The essential oils and fragrances are to be handled with caution. For [your] security and
well being, ask for our guidance [counseling]. Together we can fight against waste. Thank you!

View attachment 486821

Here are my initial selections. But I ended putting back the green clay since I still have some at home. I
ended up purchasing five (5) packets:
1. fuller's earth
2. violet clay
3. white clay
4. rhassoul clay
5. rose clay

One day before, on Friday, I visited a health food store in the small town where I live. There, I picked up a white clay, too. It's not pictured. Regarding clays, I should be good until at least August or September, if not for the whole year.

I also bought some more goat milk. I use it for my clay mixes and for my bath. I think I have enough charcoal for now.

I met a friend in town. She remarked on how beautiful my hair was. We discussed the clays a bit. Green and white clay are easy to find in pharmacies in France. The more exotic ones have to be bought at Aroma Zone or online.

View attachment 486823View attachment 486825

I'm sorry that I couldn't respond sooner, but ooh! You are teasing me with these. I'm on the website now, using my five words of french to help me create an imaginary shopping cart! I'mma save up my coins and take a trip over to yours so that we can go shopping! I see some stuff I want to buy. :look:

It sounds like you're soon going to make some hair converts over there with your clays. Do you use them on your face, too? If so, which is your favourite?

snoop

I'm still here. I will admit, I was being bad and slacking. I was out of moisturizer and too lazy to make some. I should have made some weeks ago, but I didn't and last weekend I used the absolute last of what I had. So today, it was time to get serious. I'm just letting it cool so that I could bottle it.

LHCF_Feb_Lotion.png

As for my ends, I'm at a loss for how to manage my hair when I'm wearing medium twists. When I twist my hair, I rope twists. It just comes naturally to twist this way, but I think that when I wear large and medium twists, twisting the ends in this way actually isn't good for my hair. It seems to be ok for mini twists, but less so for larger twists. I'm not entirely sure how to get around it. Maybe twist up until the last 2 inches then thread the rest? I need a solution that is quick and easy and that will allow me to wash my hair weekly.

Actually, now that I've typed it out, I might actually try this. If I twist my hair properly, I can keep the twists in for the next two to three washes.

Chicoro

I'm still here. I will admit, I was being bad and slacking. I was out of moisturizer and too lazy to make some. I should have made some weeks ago, but I didn't and last weekend I used the absolute last of what I had. So today, it was time to get serious. I'm just letting it cool so that I could bottle it.

View attachment 487197

As for my ends, I'm at a loss for how to manage my hair when I'm wearing medium twists. When I twist my hair, I rope twists. It just comes naturally to twist this way, but I think that when I wear large and medium twists, twisting the ends in this way actually isn't good for my hair. It seems to be ok for mini twists, but less so for larger twists. I'm not entirely sure how to get around it. Maybe twist up until the last 2 inches then thread the rest? I need a solution that is quick and easy and that will allow me to wash my hair weekly.

Actually, now that I've typed it out, I might actually try this. If I twist my hair properly, I can keep the twists in for the next two to three washes.
What you got cooking?

Chicoro

I'm sorry that I couldn't respond sooner, but ooh! You are teasing me with these. I'm on the website now, using my five words of french to help me create an imaginary shopping cart! I'mma save up my coins and take a trip over to yours so that we can go shopping! I see some stuff I want to buy. :look:
It sounds like you're soon going to make some hair converts over there with your clays. Do you use them on your face, too? If so, which is your favourite?
I love Aroma Zone. No, I don't use clay on my face. I have melasma. Come on over. I'll take you to the beauty supply to get you some buttery Shea butter for your body and five other shops I go to.