Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2023

What would you like to address and improve as it relates to having luscious, healthy ends?

• Breakage

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Thinness

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Unevenness

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Split Ends

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Dryness

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • Roughness

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Knots

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Dullness

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

snoop

Snoop's Clay Mix Recipe:

I use what I have which is activated charcoal powder, goat milk, green French clay, red French clay and yellow French clay. The 1 tablespoon of honey is not pictured.

It's just so pretty!

View attachment 486173
@snoop

Sorry for the late reply. This week(end) was really busy, in a good way, and so I'm only just catching up on posts now.

This mix! I love the colours!!!! A lot of my clay recipes are inspired by colour. "I'm feeling like making something red...green...black..."

This looks so goooood!

yamilee21

Okayyyy, hear me out: would it be feasible for you to straighten just the part with the plaque psoriasis since it's in the back? It doesn't have to be too straight, just straight enough so you can do what you need to do. And since it's in the back you can kinda hide it more.
Good idea; I may try that.
Would you consider the Revair? Stretched hair can help with tangles and reduce knots quite a bit as you even things out and the Revair is gentler than traditional blow drying/straightening. Also, do you have a treatment plan from a dermatologist? I know plaque psoriasis, post covid shedding, and any other illness(I know you have mentioned an older illness long before recent times in the past) you may be dealing with can impact the hair. Stretched hair with your medical treatment plans may help.
My budget won’t be happy with a Revair. :nono: There was an alternative at Costco recently; I think the Shark? It was more than I like to spend but if it is also a gentle dryer, maybe… or, I could stop being lazy and go back to roller-setting.

Between the plaque psoriasis, the shedding from various illnesses, and perimenopause (now in year 13!!! :pullhair: ), I should probably be grateful that I still have hair at all.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
The @yamilee21 hair situation requires some stealthiness. It's clear the her hair does not want to voluntarily cooperate, specifically the left side of her hair. So, we can't do the direct confrontation action anymore. It's not working.

Everybody, no direct contact with her hair. Extreme discretion is to be employed.

Only observe her hair from a distance. Do not, I repeat, do not let that left side of her hair know that we are watching it.

Once in position, stay discreet. As quiet as a ...well, you know.

Me, Chicoro, I am going to identify and point out any movement or appearances on the sonar, and report back on any new found information or any movement underneath the skin, at the hair follicle level or on the scalp.

@Lylddlebit will be manning [or 'womaning' ] the satellite on the ground identifying clues in the. form of sounds, such as breakage, hair snapping etc.

@ItsMeLilLucky will be in charge of the radar. She'll look for product movements or process changes.

Together, we are going to figure out how to get all the beautiful hair of @yamilee21 to tailbone length. That left side of her hair has stayed shorter than the right side for the LAST time. That left side may be stubborn and unmoving, but that left side of her hair is no match for this team.

We got your back, girl!

Your mission, @ItsMeLilLucky , @Lylddlebit, should you choose/decide to accept it,
As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in five/ten seconds. Good luck, ladies.

Lylddlebit

Good idea; I may try that.

My budget won’t be happy with a Revair. :nono: There was an alternative at Costco recently; I think the Shark? It was more than I like to spend but if it is also a gentle dryer, maybe… or, I could stop being lazy and go back to roller-setting.

Between the plaque psoriasis, the shedding from various illnesses, and perimenopause (now in year 13!!! :pullhair: ), I should probably be grateful that I still have hair at all.
The Revair just uses suction to dry and stretch your hair without mechanical damage or high heat. It’s like using a wet/dry vacuum cleaner hose on your hair, but it uses low heat and gently suctions your hair dry without tangling it up until it is stretched and dry in like a minute an a half per section(and 6-12 sections per head will allow even your length to stretch and dry in super fast. I am down to like 20 minutes using the Revair).

By comparison the Shark is comparable to Dyson Airwrap both of those have attachments and although they are said to use less heat, they rake through the hair to stretch and dry(unlike the Revair). The Shark and the Airwrap are multi-use styling tools that can also stretch and dry the hair. I wouldn’t use the Dyson or the Shark regularly until your hair is in a better spot though(unless you were just rough drying it not raking through your stands).

That said, I hear you on the budget constraints. If the Revair was a practical option, I would recommend that as the number 1 option for a low manipulation stretch every 1-3 months to track your hemline as you allow the shorter side to catch up. I understand why you don't want to just even it up now. I take no issues cutting off 4-5 inches on a major setback to get myself started but when I have 6 + inches of a setback. I will do a starter cut then gradually pace trimming off the rest.

Now you don’t have to drop $400 for a decent stretch. The Revair would save you time and allow for less manipulation(which sometimes can end up being more cost efficient depending on what it costs to grow you hair out..For example I definitely spend more money on products during a setback than I spend on quality hair tools or when I am splurging on products and my hair is fine. I'm not extra, but my hair is teehee). In either case, the old school stuff will do the job with more time an effort. You can certainly work with what you have unless you find the price tag justified and practical.

You can thread your hair, band your hair, roller set (you just want to make sure you reduce manipulation during the detangling process before setting, so that that particular step doesn’t undermine your progress), wet set other ways (curl formers, braiding), tension blow dry without the attachments, etc. The key is low manipulation and low heat(when you use it) as you stretch your hair for monitoring it. I do believe it is important for you to stretch your hair every 1-3 months as you even up your hemline up so that you can have a better line of sight to each milestone on your way to restoring your shape.

I'm rambling, but in any case, I just want you to know I am not far removed from your frustration. As recent as 2020, I realized I had a good 12 inches damage and I put a plan of action in place to grow out and cut off. My most recent press is the first press since 2020 that I enjoyed my hair without camouflaging the damage and my damage was the result of hiding my hair during a hormonal change that caused me to overlook the severity of shedding which caused matting and subsequent breakage. You can camouflage your setback area as you grow it out by pinning it to the long side, putting a hair comb on to keep it on the long side or other styles, instead of wearing it down your back.

I say baby your hair while your scalp is flaring up, develop a cut schedule you are comfortable with and you will see the progress. I know you probably know this since you are already TBL, but I am just reminding you since getting mad at my hair causes me to over look the positive and I understand you being frustrated about your ends today.

In 2021 and 2022 I would hide my hair for a few months then stretch it to cut and check my ends. I liked this method because my hair was always longer the next time I was ready to remove more of the damage. For example I would cut off 2 inches but my hair was 3 inches longer. I only lost an inch on that cut. On another cut, I cut off one inch by my hair was an inch and a half longer my hair was only a half inch shorter....sometimes my hair was 2 inches longer and I cut off 3 inches but since the ends were getting fuller the cut hair looked longer and thicker than it did before the cut. You can use that method or whatever you are comfortable with as you get your ends back in order. I am telling you though..now that you see it you can offset it now. Setbacks run their course but the care we take care of our hair during and after makes a positive difference.

Last edited:

ckisland

I've been experimenting with different wash styles (cowashing and conditioning, shampooing and conditioning, shampooing and dcing), and shampoo+dc is still the champ :boxing:. It makes my wash day so much longer, but the level of moisture my hair retains lasts me all week. But dcing gives me a 2+hr wash day.
So my options are:
1. Shampoo+DC+Style=2 hrs once a week
or
2. Cowash+Condition+Style= 30 mins twice a week

I'm picking option 2!!
I'm going to shampoo and dc tomorrow to reset my hair. Then I'm going to cowash and condition for two weeks straight, and I'll reset on week 3. Also my hair doesn't tangle up, so I'll brush through it once a week.
Imma try it out for a month and see how my hair does!

luvableladii

Natural, type 4, medium & fine strands
I think I'm going to stop wearing my hair in small twists because my ends become really susceptible to frizzing and tangling when I do. I think compacting more hair together (by making larger twists) will keep them better protected. Strength in numbers, right? Plus small twists take so long to do. Next time I twist my hair I'm going to try this method from Whitney, and do 6 flat twists.

Pic of my ends today, put these twists in on Sunday

View attachment 486373
Do you have fine hair? My strands are medium to fine, and I found that mini/small twists tend to be too hard on my hair. I’m fine with the frizz, but because there are so many hairs sticking out the twists that they would catch on each other and mat together. I wear about 12-18 chunky twists, and it’s so much easier to water rinse and moisturize my hair. Funny enough, I feel like my hair tangles less in larger twists than in smaller twists. It has become my go to style right now.
Okay! Here's my 2 cents :twocents:

If you have any length on your hair, meaning your hair is longer than jaw length, your hair strands are at least 2 years old, if not older. Thus, even if you have stopped using extensions since 2020, the possibility exists that the damage imparted by the hair extensions is still on your hair strands.

Everyone's hair has different sensitivities. Perhaps you may be someone who finds that using the clips, on already dry hair, exacerbates the fragility of your hair and makes your hair more prone to mid shaft splits.

Based upon the little I know about your hair history, and having not seen your hair, I think you are on track. My guess is that although you may have some mid shaft splits, the quantity and frequency of them are diminishing. You are seeing less and less. If that is correct, then as your new hair grows in and you cut away the ends of older hair, the newer strands will more likely not have mid shaft splits.

So, I would suggest you get rid of ALL clips, stop using them completely and find another way to pull up your hair. Continue to stay away from all extensions, especially synthetic hair because that can really break hair. Lastly, if you can avoid using the tangle teaser do so. But, if you use it, go slowly and gently with it and pay attention to the amount of pressure you apply. Listen to the sounds your hair makes when you use it and pay attention to how much you have to 'snatch' it through the hair and the amount of pressure you apply to 'snatch' it through. Snatching it through tangles is a tremendous amount of force. It destroys hair ends. I personally think it rips out hair ends but I've not had direct experience with tangle teasers so I don't really know.

Don't forget to document your hair findings in writing :boredwrk: and in :click: pictures. It is tedious to do, but so worth it. Good luck!
I swear, some of you more seasoned naturals are mind readers :lachen:I’ve had a feeling for a while now that my claw clips snagged my hair a bit too much, but I’ve been lazily keeping them around. :oops: I’ve seen extra long duck bill clips with no teeth that seem safer on the hair. Also, there was a time I banned the TT from my regimen all together because I thought it was thinning my ends. After adjusting my products I determined that I needed more strengthening, and I started finger detangling almost exclusively. I have a few other brushes in my tool stash that I will try.

This week I’m dusting my ends, so I should get a good amount of those midstrand splits off. They have been reducing over the years, but I’m ready for this trial to be over and done with…

Last edited:

luvableladii

Natural, type 4, medium & fine strands
This wash day, I did what I called an “enriched hot oil treatment” as a prepoo. I mixed one of my oil-free Ayurvedic treatments with my Ayurvedic oil. I dampened my hair, applied the mixture, and left it on while I took a walk. I washed it out with my Camille rose ginger cleansing rinse. I lightly applied product, but my hair is so soft and shiny.
068C3BB9-4BEC-4B66-B093-C845697E15A1.jpeg

MY ENDZ WAS LIKE

Mapleoats

Do you have fine hair? My strands are medium to fine, and I found that mini/small twists tend to be too hard on my hair. I’m fine with the frizz, but because there are so many hairs sticking out the twists that they would catch on each other and mat together. I wear about 12-18 chunky twists, and it’s so much easier to water rinse and moisturize my hair. Funny enough, I feel like my hair tangles less in larger twists than in smaller twists. It has become my go to style right now.

I swear, some of you more seasoned naturals are mind readers :lachen:I’ve had a feeling for a while now that my claw clips snagged my hair a bit too much, but I’ve been lazily keeping them around. :oops: I’ve seen extra long duck bill clips with no teeth that seem safer on the hair. Also, there was a time I banned the TT from my regimen all together because I thought it was thinning my ends. After adjusting my products I determined that I needed more strengthening, and I started finger detangling almost exclusively. I have a few other brushes in my tool stash that I will try.

This week I’m dusting my ends, so I should get a good amount of those midstrand splits off. They have been reducing over the years, but I’m ready for this trial to be over and done with…
My strands are medium/thick actually, but I agree with everything you're saying in terms of hairs sticking out. I think I'm going to try 12 twists next time (who was I kidding, i can't go from 21 twists to 6 just like that lol).

Chicoro

That ‘unraveling’ of the twist is what my hair did. I was losing tons of hair. I didn’t realize this was happening until about 3 to 5 years ago. I started using Shea butter to hold the hair in place. It worked for me. Grease can do the same. Both Shea butter and grease provide great hold. I prefer Shea. I couldn’t believe that I had overlooked this!

But sure enough, the fuzzy braids and unraveling were a culprit in my tangles and breakage. Greasing down my braids made a huge difference.

Chicoro

The Revair just uses suction to dry and stretch your hair without mechanical damage or high heat. It’s like using a wet/dry vacuum cleaner hose on your hair, but it uses low heat and gently suctions your hair dry without tangling it up until it is stretched and dry in like a minute an a half per section(and 6-12 sections per head will allow even your length to stretch and dry in super fast. I am down to like 20 minutes using the Revair).

By comparison the Shark is comparable to Dyson Airwrap both of those have attachments and although they are said to use less heat, they rake through the hair to stretch and dry(unlike the Revair). The Shark and the Airwrap are multi-use styling tools that can also stretch and dry the hair. I wouldn’t use the Dyson or the Shark regularly until your hair is in a better spot though(unless you were just rough drying it not raking through your stands).

That said, I hear you on the budget constraints. If the Revair was a practical option, I would recommend that as the number 1 option for a low manipulation stretch every 1-3 months to track your hemline as you allow the shorter side to catch up. I understand why you don't want to just even it up now. I take no issues cutting off 4-5 inches on a major setback to get myself started but when I have 6 + inches of a setback. I will do a starter cut then gradually pace trimming off the rest.

Now you don’t have to drop $400 for a decent stretch. The Revair would save you time and allow for less manipulation(which sometimes can end up being more cost efficient depending on what it costs to grow you hair out..For example I definitely spend more money on products during a setback than I spend on quality hair tools or when I am splurging on products and my hair is fine. I'm not extra, but my hair is teehee). In either case, the old school stuff will do the job with more time an effort. You can certainly work with what you have unless you find the price tag justified and practical.

You can thread your hair, band your hair, roller set (you just want to make sure you reduce manipulation during the detangling process before setting, so that that particular step doesn’t undermine your progress), wet set other ways (curl formers, braiding), tension blow dry without the attachments, etc. The key is low manipulation and low heat(when you use it) as you stretch your hair for monitoring it. I do believe it is important for you to stretch your hair every 1-3 months as you even up your hemline up so that you can have a better line of sight to each milestone on your way to restoring your shape.

I'm rambling, but in any case, I just want you to know I am not far removed from your frustration. As recent as 2020, I realized I had a good 12 inches damage and I put a plan of action in place to grow out and cut off. My most recent press is the first press since 2020 that I enjoyed my hair without camouflaging the damage and my damage was the result of hiding my hair during a hormonal change that caused me to overlook the severity of shedding which caused matting and subsequent breakage. You can camouflage your setback area as you grow it out by pinning it to the long side, putting a hair comb on to keep it on the long side or other styles, instead of wearing it down your back.

I say baby your hair while your scalp is flaring up, develop a cut schedule you are comfortable with and you will see the progress. I know you probably know this since you are already TBL, but I am just reminding you since getting mad at my hair causes me to over look the positive and I understand you being frustrated about your ends today.

In 2021 and 2022 I would hide my hair for a few months then stretch it to cut and check my ends. I liked this method because my hair was always longer the next time I was ready to remove more of the damage. For example I would cut off 2 inches but my hair was 3 inches longer. I only lost an inch on that cut. On another cut, I cut off one inch by my hair was an inch and a half longer my hair was only a half inch shorter....sometimes my hair was 2 inches longer and I cut off 3 inches but since the ends were getting fuller the cut hair looked longer and thicker than it did before the cut. You can use that method or whatever you are comfortable with as you get your ends back in order. I am telling you though..now that you see it you can offset it now. Setbacks run their course but the care we take care of our hair during and after makes a positive difference.
Secret Agent @Lylddlebit is ON it! She’s taking her mission seriously. That left side of @yamilee21 ’s hair doesn’t stand a chance. We are going to make it behave and grow.

Chicoro

This wash day, I did what I called an “enriched hot oil treatment” as a prepoo. I mixed one of my oil-free Ayurvedic treatments with my Ayurvedic oil. I dampened my hair, applied the mixture, and left it on while I took a walk. I washed it out with my Camille rose ginger cleansing rinse. I lightly applied product, but my hair is so soft and shiny.
View attachment 486413

MY ENDZ WAS LIKE
Woo wee those is some pretty ends and braids!

Chicoro

I'm trying my new regimen over the next month, so here are some starting pics on wet hair.

View attachment 486421View attachment 486423View attachment 486425

My goodness! Your hair is so long and pretty. It looks so soft!

First, don't NOBODY ask @ckisland how long her hair is. We gone have to guesstimate and measure it ourselves. Because she is likely to say her hair is about 1.5 inches in length. Trust ME on this one. "I" learned this the hard way.

Let me put this right here in case she ATTEMPTS to give us [another] messed up measurement.

WHAT are you people doing to get this MAGNIFICENT, radiant, glowing skin?!!!!!!! @ckisland your skin is so pretty and glorious! And you have a beautiful heart-shaped face, and with not a single DROP of makeup.

Last edited:

ckisland

My goodness! Your hair is so long and pretty. It looks so soft!

First, don't NOBODY ask @ckisland how long her hair is. We gone have to guesstimate and measure it ourselves. Because she is likely to say her hair is about 1.5 inches in length. Trust ME on this one. "I" learned this the hard way.

Let me put this right here in case she ATTEMPTS to give us [another] messed up measurement.

WHAT are you people doing to get this MAGNIFICENT, radiant, glowing skin?!!!!!!! @ckisland your skin is so pretty and glorious! And you have a beautiful heart-shaped face, and with not a single DROP of makeup.
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

First off, why are you so funny @Chicoro !!! Secondly, you are so kind! Thank you for the compliments :kiss::kiss::kiss: Thirdly, I have no idea how many inches my hair is :look: . I'm too lazy to pull out that measuring tape right now. But I got you. . .in April :lachen:

Chicoro

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

First off, why are you so funny @Chicoro !!! Secondly, you are so kind! Thank you for the compliments :kiss::kiss::kiss: Thirdly, I have no idea how many inches my hair is :look: . I'm too lazy to pull out that measuring tape right now. But I got you. . .in April :lachen:
You are welcome, regarding your compliment!

Let me focus on the 'Thirdly'. Girl, we KNOW you have no idea how many inches your hair is! I am asking you to please refrain from GUESSING in inches.

It's okay baby, we can accept, "It's at chin-length", "It's at armpit-length", "It's at waist-length". You just show us in photos to where your hair has grown in April, and we can put them inches up on it for you.

Everybody, if @ckisland says her hair grew 1 inch, please multiply that by 6.

GettingKinky

I washed my hair yesterday. I did my normal olaplex 3 treatment. I leave it in while I workout ~30-40 minutes. I followed my new wash routine of only using my all purpose shampoo on the upper half of my hair and then followed up my moisture shampoo on all of my hair. I was gentle when I detangled my hair.
4 weeks after my trim my strands still feel nice and smooth from root to tip.

I’m on my last bottle of olaplex 3, I always stock up during sales. I tried to stock up again on Black Friday, but the place shill hadn’t shipped my order in mid January so I cancelled it. Now instead of buying more I’m going to try Epres. I’ve heard really good things about it.

Last edited:

Chicoro

I washed my hair yesterday. I did my normal olaplex 3 treatment. I leave it in while I workout ~30-40 minutes. I followed my new wash routine of only using my all purpose shampoo on the upper half of my hair and then followed up my moisture shampoo on all of my hair. I was gentle when I detangled my hair.
4 weeks after my trim my strands still feel nice and smooth from root to tip.

I’m on my last bottle of olaplex 3, I always stock up during sales. I tried to stock up again on Black Friday, but the place shill hadn’t shipped my order in mid January so I cancelled it. Now instead of buying more I’m going to try Epres. I’ve heard really good things about it.
Congratulations on maintaining gorgeous hair strands from root to tip. It's even better that you have done it intentionally with a conscious plan and understanding.

Please, tell us more about Epres. I personally have never heard of it!

GettingKinky

Congratulations on maintaining gorgeous hair strands from root to tip. It's even better that you have done it intentionally with a conscious plan and understanding.

Please, tell us more about Epres. I personally have never heard of it!
Epres is a bond restoration product created by the same person who invented olaplex.

Lylddlebit

My wash and go lasted 3 days before I washed it out. By the end of day 3 the gel cast broke and it was soft but parched. WAY more dry than I allow my hair to get so I said "NOPE!", rinsed it out and keep deep conditioner in until I rewashed today and did another. I didn't have any tangles when I washed my hair. The dryness and tangles melted away as soon as water hit it. I didn't loose any extra hair when I detangled on day 3 or today when I set it again. I will work on my methods. I am not getting as much definition with my set as I get when it is full of activator or deep conditioner on my wash and go so far. I do want more definition but in the meantime, this set without tangles or setbacks is good for me. So I will just take my time and let the other perks come. I don't think this set is terrible but I want to get better at it. I know I could try shingling but I don't want to encourage my hair to tangle more than it otherwise would, since that is a setback trigger on my hair. I will pace my learning of this style and lurk the wash and go thread as I get it together.

Attachments

• Day 3 (me).jpg
    Day 3 (me).jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Day 3.jpg
    Day 3.jpg
    871.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Day 1.jpg
    Day 1.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Chicoro

My wash and go lasted 3 days before I washed it out. By the end of day 3 the gel cast broke and it was soft but parched. WAY more dry than I allow my hair to get so I said "NOPE!", rinsed it out and keep deep conditioner in until I rewashed today and did another. I didn't have any tangles when I washed my hair. The dryness and tangles melted away as soon as water hit it. I didn't loose any extra hair when I detangled on day 3 or today when I set it again. I will work on my methods. I am not getting as much definition with my set as I get when it is full of activator or deep conditioner on my wash and go so far. I do want more definition but in the meantime, this set without tangles or setbacks is good for me. So I will just take my time and let the other perks come. I don't think this set is terrible but I want to get better at it. I know I could try shingling but I don't want to encourage my hair to tangle more than it otherwise would, since that is a setback trigger on my hair. I will pace my learning of this style and lurk the wash and go thread as I get it together.
Your hair looks moist from root to tip. The color of your hair is really pretty. Those lighter brown highlights in the front are lovely.

Lylddlebit

Your hair looks moist from root to tip. The color of your hair is really pretty. Those lighter brown highlights in the front are lovely.
Thank you. I have never dyed my hair lol. As the grey's are peeking in there, I am just going to let it ride as I get older. The sun will turn part of my hair brown or even the older tips become natural auburn over time. I just let it ride lol.