Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge - Fall 2011

faithVA

Washed my hair today and my ends feel pretty good. They could be better but still pretty good. I am still making sure I work the conditioner through my strands and to ends. I am twisting after conditioning and rinsing the conditioner out with the twists intact. So I am only having to detangle once.

After I put in two strand twists, I did coat my twists and ends with my shea butter mix. So I am hoping my ends appreciate this tomorrow.

I definitely need a trim next month. But I think 1/4 to 1/2 inch will be enough to get off the SSKs on the ends.

JustGROWwithIt

I DC'd with yesterday with Megatek under a plastic shower cap for 7 mins and rinsed and then applied Beemine Bee-u-ti-ful deep conditioner and sat under my steamer for about 35-40mins. My hair and ends felt great. Really strong! Not as soft as usual due to the protein but not hard either. Still felt moisturized and strengthened. I think my hair was too soft before and not enough protein. Anyway, when I twisted my hair I buttered my hair (after moisturizing/sealing) and I had only 2 (count 'em, 2!) broken ends! And my ends didn't feel as bushy. I still need to trim a little more but I'm going to wait til Jan 1st to do that. But right now I am very pleased with my results!

Last edited:

faithVA

This is a great challenge. I'm glad you guys thought of it :lol:

I was braiding my twists last night and I could feel my ends and they feel so much better. Looking forward to that dusting at the end of December. I still have some SSKs but with the moisture and sealing I have been doing, my ends still feel better.

mstokes2008

I will be putting two strand twists in tonight and dusting the straggly looking ends. Hopefully I won't have to take off to much. I haven't noticed any splits but I still could use a mini dusting. I will be flat ironing within the next few weeks so I want my ends to be and look as healthy as possible.

AryaStarr258

My ends seem to be going up and down recently. One week they're really rough and dry. The next weeks they're soft and manageable, and I've done nothing different to them from the week before. It's strange. To try and fix this I finally got my hands on some Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1. I've had my eye on it for a bit, in hopes that it would do SOMETHING about my bipolar ends. So, last night before bed, I slathered some on, along with some oils, some butters, and Garnier Fructis's Sleek & Shine Leave in Conditioner. I woke up this morning and my ends are SO SOFT!! I may have to do this again to see if my hair really likes this combo, or if it's just being nice for the day...

Last edited:

faithVA

My ends seem to be going up and down recently. One week they're really rough and dry. The next weeks they're soft and manageable, and I've done nothing different to them from the week before. It's strange. To try and fix this I finally got my hands on some Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1. I've had my eye on it for a bit, in hopes that it would do SOMETHING about my bipolar ends. So, last night before bed, I slathered some on, along with some oils, some butters, and Garnier Fructis's Sleek & Shine Leave in Conditioner. I woke up this morning and my ends are SO SOFT!! I may have to do this again to see if my hair really likes this combo, or if it's just being nice for the day...

Yes that back and forth is frustrating. Maybe your ends are just asking to be spoiled. And it sounds like you spoiled them last night. Hope it continues to work for you.

ylinspired

My ends are doing good. EO everyday, DC with BJCO protein conditioner, jojoba oil conditioner by natures gate. 6 plaits, rocking my wig for as long as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Khaiya

I think I've found my holy grail, aloe vera and doo gro grease,applied both on Monday night and my ends are still behaving and moisturized! My hair feels so soft. I tried a lot of greases and didn't like them but the doo gro seems to work great so I'll stick to it for my heavy sealing. Also keeping up with my DCs and dry baggying (ghe).

mstokes2008

I've been having the same issue with my ends going back and forth. It's so frustrating. I'm currently DCing on dry hair and getting ready for a trim (if I don't get to tired tonight) but Idk what to do.

I feel like it's easier for me to moisturize and seal and baby my ends properly and more frequently when my hair is straight and for awhile the frustration with my hair was making me want to be a heat trained natural but I'm so undecided.

I've been bunning for the past 2-3wks after wearing two strand twists for about 3wks. I love bunning but it's so much easier on straight hair... hmm what to do??

JustGROWwithIt

My ends aren't the greatest. They go back and forth too. About 2-3 days after washing they start to feel nicer due to product coating them (I moisturize/seal nightly) I think I may need to try a heavier butter or something to really coat my ends after wash day. Any suggestions?

mstokes2008

My ends aren't the greatest. They go back and forth too. About 2-3 days after washing they start to feel nicer due to product coating them (I moisturize/seal nightly) I think I may need to try a heavier butter or something to really coat my ends after wash day. Any suggestions?

What have you tried so far? For awhile I was trying to use all natural products so I was sealing with a shea butter mix, but I'm starting to realize that my hair and shea butter are kind of like enemies (I think I knew that like 3months into being natural but tried it again anyways)

Some ladies heavy seal with grease and have had great luck with it, but idk how you feel about that.

I'm currently trying to find a heavy butter to put on my ends after I seal as well. Hopefully someone will chime in with something we both can try. But check out the heavy sealing thread, I think I'm going to go back to it to take some notes lol

JustGROWwithIt

What have you tried so far? For awhile I was trying to use all natural products so I was sealing with a shea butter mix, but I'm starting to realize that my hair and shea butter are kind of like enemies (I think I knew that like 3months into being natural but tried it again anyways)

Some ladies heavy seal with grease and have had great luck with it, but idk how you feel about that.

I'm currently trying to find a heavy butter to put on my ends after I seal as well. Hopefully someone will chime in with something we both can try. But check out the heavy sealing thread, I think I'm going to go back to it to take some notes lol

Thanks for the tips! I really wasn't trying anything. I didn't pay close enough attention to them, which is probably why they are like this in the first place! Previously all I was doing is moisturizing and sealing with EVOO. But I really need something more than that. Last week I used for the first time Beemine Curly Butter when I twisted my hair and really coated it and they did ok, but I still think something heavier would work better for the ends. I really liked the Beemine for the hold and definition but it's not a heavy enough butter for what I need. I will check out the heavy sealing thread for sure and be taking some notes! :yep:

mstokes2008

So as I said last night, I put my hair is twists and trimmed my ends...

I moisturized and sealed with my Softee Indian Hemp Grease, put my hair in small-medium sized twists and then clipped the scraggly looking ends. My hair feels so much better. My twists are so soft and moisturized. But I feel like I lost some length. I know it's probably in my head because I did do my twists on wet hair when I usually do them on blowdried hair. so they do look alot shorter because of that darn shrinkage. I was previously like 2-2.5" away from BSL and now I'm back to grazing APL... I think. I lost my desire to straighten my hair for now, and tomorrow I'm off to go wig shopping so I can focus on my ends, gaining my length back, and to Hide my hair for the rest of the year. But again on the plus side my hair does feel great. Healthy hair is more important than length right? lol

JustGROWwithIt

So as I said last night, I put my hair is twists and trimmed my ends...

I moisturized and sealed with my Softee Indian Hemp Grease, put my hair in small-medium sized twists and then clipped the scraggly looking ends. My hair feels so much better. My twists are so soft and moisturized. But I feel like I lost some length. I know it's probably in my head because I did do my twists on wet hair when I usually do them on blowdried hair. so they do look alot shorter because of that darn shrinkage. I was previously like 2-2.5" away from BSL and now I'm back to grazing APL... I think. I lost my desire to straighten my hair for now, and tomorrow I'm off to go wig shopping so I can focus on my ends, gaining my length back, and to Hide my hair for the rest of the year. But again on the plus side my hair does feel great. Healthy hair is more important than length right? lol

Healthy hair IS more important than length! That's what I need to tell myself lol. I trimmed my hair a little over a month ago but I could use at least another half an inch to get rid of the scraggly ends. But I don't want to lose any length! And I know it's not that much but I'm trying to hard to retain and grow that I feel like it's a step backwards. Maybe tonight or tomrrow when I decided to re-twist my hair I will clip the little ends that need to go before it gets any worse...or I may wait 'til January :lol:

JustGROWwithIt

Just applied Megatek for 7 mins to the bottom half of my hair only, focusing on the ends. And then I coated my hair with Beemine Bee-u-ti-ful deep conditioner, focusing heavily on my ends as well. Then I parted my hair down the middle and twisted each half up and pinned so my ends are pointing out on the top of my head and am sitting under my huetiful steamer as I'm typing this. I'm hoping that by making sure my ends are up and out they will get extreme moisture and TLC from the DC and the steam. Normally when I steam I twist my hair and my ends aren't really exposed. We'll see how it turns out!

faithVA

[USER=337083 said:
JustGROWwithIt[/USER];14714197]Healthy hair IS more important than length! That's what I need to tell myself lol. I trimmed my hair a little over a month ago but I could use at least another half an inch to get rid of the scraggly ends. But I don't want to lose any length! And I know it's not that much but I'm trying to hard to retain and grow that I feel like it's a step backwards. Maybe tonight or tomrrow when I decided to re-twist my hair I will clip the little ends that need to go before it gets any worse...or I may wait 'til January :lol:

I feel you on the challenge between trying to have healthy ends and wanting to retain length. This year I feel that I cut away all of my growth :sad: My ends were damaged with permanent color and felt terrible. They felt so bad though that I knew I had to cut them. So I did something similar to what you are doing and just cut a little bit at a time.

It's alright to hold onto them a little bit longer. When its really time for you to get rid of them you won't hesitate and you will just get rid of them.

I finally cut off all of my ends and I'm so excited about just doing regular dustings next year and enjoying my growth and retention. Maybe you can do it as a Christmas gift to yourself and start the new year off with beautiful new ends :yep:

JustGROWwithIt

faithVA
Yes I will start the new year off with new ends. However, after my treatment today that I just posted about my ends feel really good! I'm impressed. I may add a mid-week cowash to my reggie to help add moisture to my ends.

GIJane

I have been in plaits for 2 weeks. I have been moisturizing every morning and sealing every night. I also baggy every other night. Today I pre-poo, wash and dc. My ends have been looking so much better since I started this challenge. I hope I have been retaining. I might know if I do my length check next month. Haven't put direct heat in my hair since May.

JustGROWwithIt

Yesterday I twisted my hair and slathered Beemine curly butter on each strand, focusing heavily on the ends and after twisting I coated the tips with a little EVOO to seal. My ends looked and & felt great! I still probably need to trim a bit more but they are definately loving the TLC and at least won"t be getting any worse...I hope. :drunk:

Aggie

I used the last bit of my BB Oil Moisturizer with Castor Oil on my ends this morning and need to stock up soon but I can use Alba Botanica leave-In until I do.

tiffjust2002

Just a quick check in on my DD. Her ends are going strong. I haven't noticed any more breakage, I haven't used anything on her ends in awhile. No barrettes, beads, rubberbands or anything. Currently her hair is in a flat twist mohawk with the loose hair in two strand twists and curled with my sponge rollers. My shea butter creme although I think it too greasy LOL works great for her hair.

newnyer

Checking in! I must admit...I have NOT been diligent with my ends. S-curl was working great during the warmer months but now that it's colder my hair seems to hate it, so I've been trying to make due with what I have to moisturize (sometimes spray AVJ, but that doesn't seem to work either). Still seal with oils. So anyway, my ends are feeling a lil raggedy right now but I just purchased the hairveda moisturizer (BF sale!) so as soon as that I arrives I'll try that as my winter moisturizer. Let's pray that works y'all.....

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using myTouch_4G_Slide

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Can I still join? I know 2011 is almost over but I'm going to go into December babying my ends.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Texlaxed
2. Current Hair Length: BSL
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends: A little thin, tend to get dry.
4. What you have tried to improve your ends: DC'ing w/ out fail. Moisturizing & Sealing 5-7x weekly. Going to keep them tucked away.
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends: Reducing the heat for intervals. I'm not using heat for the month of December.

Khaiya

i've said it before and i'll say it again, don't sleep on DCing! And it's not good enough to DC with any conditioner, it must be a condish that is designed for deep conditioning, a cheapie or instant condish is not good enough!

mstokes2008

Just an update.I turned my twists into mini twists! It took me two days to finish but my ends are STILL moisturized from the grease I used to heavy seal!! Not greasy but soft and moisturized.

Aggie

I found a bottle of BB Moisturizing growth lotion hidden away in my stash and just used it to moisturize my ends. Now I'm GHE'ing my hair for the night.