Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge - Fall 2011

truequeen06

I really need to join in on the challenge. I've fallen off a bit when it comes to taking proper care of my ends.

• I'm natural.
  • Between waist and hip length.
  • Split and thinning ends
  • I cut off the rest of my heat damaged hair (around 4-5 inches) and want to maintain a dusting regimen by dusting 4 times a year with the lunar hair chart. I'm also picking up the slack and protective styling 5-6 days out of the week.

LaidBak

ooo what's cross wrapping?

Instead of wrapping your hair in one direction around your head, you just part your hair where you normally would and smooth both ends toward the back. You smooth one side down then secure it with a clip. Then smooth the other side on top of that and secure it with a clip. Tie your hair down and slide both clips out.

LaidBak

I've heard of this, and I know people swear by it, but I still would like to know the hype behind it. What's the difference between it and regular castor oil?

Honestly, I came across it because I was looking for H'uille d' mascreti (which I know I spelled wrong)~Haitian Castor Oil. But I couldnt find a source for it so I started using the Jamaican stuff. I've never used plain castor oil, so I couldnt compare the two. But there was a couple of castor oil challenge threads back in 09-10, Im sure that question was probably addressed within.
I love the stuff though.

faithVA

I'm in. My issue is with thin ends. This issue has been plaguing me for years. I have to keep cutting around waistlength to have hair that looks remotely attractive, I cut up to mid back or so repeatedly :(. My ends are not rough, just THIN, they are actually silky because of all the heat damage, they've gone straight. I hate that too.

Welcome SerenavanderWoodsen,

Please bring us up to date
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning
2. Current Hair Length
4. What you have tried to improve your ends
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends

faithVA

Instead of wrapping your hair in one direction around your head, you just part your hair where you normally would and smooth both ends toward the back. You smooth one side down then secure it with a clip. Then smooth the other side on top of that and secure it with a clip. Tie your hair down and slide both clips out.

Thanks LaidBak, I really need to try this to see if I can keep my twist stretched out.

SimJam

Ive pulled out my twists for a twistout, will wear today and maybe tomorrow.
then I'll wash DC and twist back up over the weekend.

MissTripleChoc

Got my ends trimmed today i'm now back at shoulder length from APl nearly BSL. Now for the challenge to really begin. Im going to make sure these ends stay moist and protected. BSL here i come :)

faithVA

Got my ends trimmed today i'm now back at shoulder length from APl nearly BSL. Now for the challenge to really begin. Im going to make sure these ends stay moist and protected. BSL here i come :)

Let's definitely make it happen so you can retain that length. :yep:

Whoops sorry lol.
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning.... This is a tough one, I'd been relaxer free since 2005 when I really realized I did not need it and that it ate through my fragile hair yet never straightened my hair even the way it straightens curlier hair so I gave it up. But....
this year I decided to texlax the BACK of my hair, my sides are so heat damaged and even when not heat damaged they aren't very curly but the back is probably 3c and very frizzy so to try to match textures I texlaxed the back. It didn't really take but still, I guess I am not natural because of this :(. And I do see some breakage back there. I hate relaxers.

2. Current Hair Length - About an inch from waist...
4. What you have tried to improve your ends?- Not much, that's part of the problem. I trim my ends when all the beatings finally show and they get so thin that they look like crap. I want to make sure they never get to that point to begin with.
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends?- Less heat!! No more flat iron on the ends. My heat damaged ends stretch so easily that it makes no sense to iron them yet I still was. I have recently stopped and am using things like ponytial rollersetting to stretch the hair out.
Also, try to make sure they are well moisturized.

Imani

I am still seeing split ends even after I just got a professional trim and did many hrs of search and destroy at home. Not sure what the next step is. Sigh. They are not too bad,I guess. I mean, you reallly have to look hard to see them, maybe like 1/8 to 1/4 an inch up the strand max. Or even less than that, often it was really like just a teeny tiny very tip end that was split.

Ok, so this is what I dont' get. So, if your hair grows at different rates and every hair has its own little growth cycle, then if you pull a section of hair, w/in that section there are going to be some shorter strands of hair. Add to that any past breakage, and you have several different lengths of hair going on for each individual strand. Sooo, even if you get a good trim, there are still hairs that did not get trimmed and thus still ragged/split.

My hair is still straight and I plan to wash it today and then it wont' be straight again until close to Thanksgiving. So I guess I will try and go through and cut some more before I wash it. Idk what else to do.

Also, since I have vowed to be more aggressive w/protein, doing a protein treatment w/Aubrey GPB today. Wanted to do the protein mask by Aubrey, but I kept forgetting to order it offline.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I rollerset my hair and it got very straight.i didnt have to use a lick of heat. I used to feel that heat wasnt really affecting my hair negativley but my hair feels much more moisturized compared to airdrying and flat ironing. I think by cutting out the direct heat i will be able to stop getting splits and weak spots on my hair.

faithVA

[USER=13643 said:
Imani[/USER];14381501]I am still seeing split ends even after I just got a professional trim and did many hrs of search and destroy at home. Not sure what the next step is. Sigh. They are not too bad,I guess. I mean, you reallly have to look hard to see them, maybe like 1/8 to 1/4 an inch up the strand max. Or even less than that, often it was really like just a teeny tiny very tip end that was split.

Ok, so this is what I dont' get. So, if your hair grows at different rates and every hair has its own little growth cycle, then if you pull a section of hair, w/in that section there are going to be some shorter strands of hair. Add to that any past breakage, and you have several different lengths of hair going on for each individual strand. Sooo, even if you get a good trim, there are still hairs that did not get trimmed and thus still ragged/split.

My hair is still straight and I plan to wash it today and then it wont' be straight again until close to Thanksgiving. So I guess I will try and go through and cut some more before I wash it. Idk what else to do.

Also, since I have vowed to be more aggressive w/protein, doing a protein treatment w/Aubrey GPB today. Wanted to do the protein mask by Aubrey, but I kept forgetting to order it offline.

I think you have done enough for now. You can still have a healthy head of hair without getting every single split end. And as your layers grow out and you trim you will be able to trim more of them off at the same time.

I would relax and now just focus on keeping the moisture/protein balance and then doing the next trim at the end of the year as planned.

coyacoy

I'm in! Been having recent issues with retaining length !! :sad: so this challenge is right on time.....thanks, OP!

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc
Natural
2. Current Hair Length
APL in the back, SL on the sides - would like to be all one length
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends
SSKs like crazy....seeing some breakage; and overall strand weakness
Oil rinising (helps some).....baggying off and on
Trim more regularly and increase protein use. will also be stretching after each wash - my shrinkage is way too much and i think contributing to the ssks

Imani

I think you have done enough for now. You can still have a healthy head of hair without getting every single split end. And as your layers grow out and you trim you will be able to trim more of them off at the same time.

I would relax and now just focus on keeping the moisture/protein balance and then doing the next trim at the end of the year as planned.

Yeah, I am wondering if given the nature of my hair and the fact that I do use heat sometimes, if I'm just always going to have some split ends and all I can do is minimize them. I just don't remember ever having split ends when I was relaxed. :ohwell:

Plus, those ends are old and possibly left over from when I was flat ironing weekly. Maybe over time once those ends are all trimmed off, it won't be as bad.

LaidBak

Didn't seal tonight 'cause my hair was kinda oily today, But I did cross wrap for bed. Used a rake for less manipulation.

Beany

Baggy with shea butter mix. hope my ends don't look a mess in the a.m. the mud wash detox has definitely helped my hair. The ends aren't as bushy.

Sent from my EVO

ylinspired

I would like to join. I really need this help:grin:

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning-

Natural

2. Current Hair Length

MBL

3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends

Dry, brittle, weak, split, from color

Protective styling without protecting my severly damaged ends

Deep condition weekly, cowash weekly, and alternate between castor oil, grapeseed, jojobo, (need to chop about 4-6 inches-NOT), will braid hair apply carrot oil, and conditioners to my ends-apply nexus split end mender on dry braided hair and when I DC, will not trim often because I have been through this before, and I know that it takes TIME, eventually my hair will catch up. Give the sew in a break. Wig on and off, continue my hair vitamin regi, (Hairfinity) and include 2 teaspoons of black strap molasses every day for 6 months it's good for the hair and body, and is suppose to reverse gray hair. I have 4-6 inches of dry brittle damaged ends, and I'm not going to worry about them, rather nurture and baby them. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SimJam

I must say that aloe vera juice is da beesknees !!!!!

made a kimmaytube leave-in and twsited my hair with just that and my twists are juicy and springy and my ends are actually smoothe

MUST.MAINTAIN.SMOOTHNESS

faithVA

I'm trying to pay attention to how my ends feel during each stage of my cleaning process.

I rinsed my hair in the shower before applying mudwash. After the rinse my ends felt slightly rough and a little bushy. Will see how they feel after the mudwash.

newnyer

My ends can get pretty dry and sometimes feel brittle so I think this challenge is for me!!

Here I go:
1. I'm relaxed. Some of my ends are underprocessed but plan to get that corrected soon.
2. Current Hair Length- SL
3. I think it's largely due to the underprocessed ends, but my ends can feel a little dry & brittle compared to the rest of my hair, even though I bun 6 days a week.
4. I've actually fallen off my moisturize & seal game, so I plan to get back on that.
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends: get tips from here!! Plus I'm due for a trim soon...

Meemee6223

I would love to join. This would be my first challenge.

1. Relaxed, stretching, thinking about transitioning
2. SL
3. My ends are drier than the rest of my hair and breaking. They look frizzy and damaged, likely from heat.
4. Tried trimming, dusting, deep conditioning, light protein treatments, protective styling
5. Improving by doing a heavier protein treatment, DC weekly, maybe CW only weekly, no sulfates, PS only, no heat.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

faithVA

My ends felt good after the mudwash. That's a plus. Then I put wheat germ oil on my hair and my ends still felt good. Steamd for 20 minutes. Ends felt the same. Now doing an extended DC with TW conditioner.

I pulled out my tangle teezer and denman to work the conditioner through my strands and through my ends. I will try this for a few weeks to see if it enhances getting product on my hair.

My hair was less bushy and my ends were more friendly. :yep:

Will report back in a few hours after I rinse out the conditioner.