Lye relaxer that doesn't burn?

abioni

I currently use Hawaiian Silky Mild No Base Relaxer. It's a lye relaxer and I like the result I get from it. However, I get burns often and I base my scalp every time. I bought their base cream, and the first time I used it, I didn't burn but the next time I used it, I had some burns. Not sure if it's my technique. I plan to touch up next week and I'm looking for another relaxer or tips on how to prevent the burns.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
When I used Mizani Butter Blends Lye (Mild), I did not :burn:.

Not sure what current Stylist is using? I think it is Affirm (also no burning)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I came in here to say Hawaiian silky burns lol I did not burn with the Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter Cream Relaxer or Vitale Life and Body Relaxer

naturalpride

I use Hawaiian Silky No Base Regular. I usually base my scalp and haven't experienced any burning with this relaxer. I use Affirm scalp base. I recommend trying a different relaxer maybe no lye since it's more gentle on the scalp but can be harsh on the hair if not using a chelating shampoo regularly.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I burned with Affirm Fiberguard but it was because I forgot to base a part of my scalp. I haven't burned with Hawaiian Silky, but I do make sure I base with grease. Have you tried basing your scalp with grease instead of shea butter?

MzSwift

I currently use Hawaiian Silky Mild No Base Relaxer. It's a lye relaxer and I like the result I get from it. However, I get burns often and I base my scalp every time. I bought their base cream, and the first time I used it, I didn't burn but the next time I used it, I had some burns. Not sure if it's my technique. I plan to touch up next week and I'm looking for another relaxer or tips on how to prevent the burns.

I'm not sure that I know of any lye relaxers that don't burn. :( I think that's supposed to be the big con to using lye is that it's quicker to burn.

I've tried basing with oil, grease and Vaseline and the only base that keeps me burn free is Vaseline/petroleum jelly.

When you base, are you just basing where you part your hair? Do you also base between the parts?

Also, it seems like the amount of time that the relaxer is left on the hair increases the potential for burns.

abioni

Thank you all for the tips and recommendations.
I decided to give Hawaiian Silky No Base Mild relaxer another chance because of some of the tips given. Someone mentioned that I might have missed some spots while basing my scalp so I made sure to massage the base in so it would spread to nearby spots I might have missed. I also waited one hour after basing my scalp to relax my hair so the heat on my scalp would help spread the base.

I just finished relaxing and the result was great. I didn't burn on my scalp, just tiny burn on my edges. I think the relaxer touched some spots that I didn't apply base to around my edges. My hair also came out straight as usual so I'm happy.