Lye Relaxers -vs- No Lye

skegeesmb

I've been reading the posts on Lye and No Lye Relaxers. I've been reminded of my dealings with both lye and no lye relaxers. When I was in Alabama my freshman year (97), I would go to Walmart to get my relaxers. All they seemed to have were the no lye relaxers, so that's what I used to relax my hair with.

After my sophomore year, I was able to get to a beauty supply store that sold all kinds of relaxers. Lo and behold, I found my relaxer of choice: Revlon Lye Relaxer Regular, and it's close runner up cousin Creme of Nature Lye Relaxer Regular. So I began using them again.

Just before I cut off my relaxed hair I was looking in the mirror after just washing it. I could clearly tell when I applied no lye relaxers, and lye relaxers. The no lye area was frizzy and didn't lay down straight as my lye relaxed parts did, and when it got humid, the no lye relaxed ares would swell and look a mess.

I got depressed because my hair was pretty long, and I would say that after 4 inches from my scalp I had a big no lye relaxed area that was about 10 inches, and then the rest was lye.

Even though I don't have a relaxer in my hair anymore, if I was to go back to relaxing, I would definately choose lye again. My hair was smoother and shinier when I used the lye as opposed to the no lye.

Just wondering what type of relaxers does everybody here use, and why they've chosen to use either lye or no lye relaxers.

nita4

I use lye now...I had used no lye for years because I believed the hype about it being safer until my hair just "couldn't" take it any longer.

Kitkat

I also use lye and like Nita I believed the hype about no lye relaxers in the past. When I see no lye relaxers in the 'ethnic' section of drug stores now, I just want to knock them off the shelves!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

azul

thank you for your words. it really is encouraging to me to hear someones story about the difference in their using a lye verses always using a no lye. i am also glad you mentioned using a regular formula as well. i plan to use motions and i kept hearing recommendations for motions mild so i was worried that the lye regular would be too strong but since i normally use a regular in no lye i dont think it should be a big problem. i cant wait to get my hair done. i plan to go to mirror image in nyc and get my lye relaxer done there. i hope they know how to do the motions moisturizing relaxer where you condition before you neutralize. i am just so excited to be doing this lye thing because no lye does leave my hair looking frizzy and dry. God bless you all.

pebbles

I'm telling you, I will never use a no-lye relaxer again! I can litteraly see the difference between the lye and no-lye relaxers on my hair.

skegeesmb

Don't worry azul, I think your lye experience will be a good one. I've used mild strength relaxers before, but it was just like using a texturizer, which I didn't want. I wanted straighter hair. Regular did that for me. Super is too strong for my hair it straightened my hair too straight too quickly, so that my hair wouldn't hold a curl without major work.

Don't forget to tell us about your salon experience!

adrienne0914

i recently switched from Dark & Lovely No Lye to Affirm Lye. i never actually had a problem with the no lye, but i switched to be on the safe side and based on what i've been reading of others' experiences. i think part of the reason that i didn't have a problem was because i retouch so infrequently.

so far, i've been pleased with the new relaxer. i don't really see a big difference in my hair. more important, nothing bad happened from switching. lol!

adrienne

jrw

I have always used a no-lye relaxer and am very pleased with the way my hair is. To each her own.

A

AmilLion

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
When I see no lye relaxers in the 'ethnic' section of drug stores now, I just want to knock them off the shelves!!

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA, I feel the same way. I prefer lye relaxers rather than no-lye. I was also guilty of believing the hype that lye relaxers were much more harsh. I guess the word "LYE" is what scared many of us. Dang it, Soap is made with lye.

With lye relaxers, I noticed my hair retains more elasticity, it isn't as flat or dull looking as well. Overall, my hair wuvveeessss LYE. Well of course no chemical is best, Lye's the way for me.

LondonDiva

I use a lye relaxer. I used to have the bodiphier in my hair (which I do believe is a mild no lye relaxer) it looks the same way on the hair as a no lye would. I went over it with the lye relaxer and you can definitely see the difference. With they Lye you get the "salon" look and there was me thinking before that the reason my hair never looked like that after relaxing was because I wasn't doing it properly. Little did I know that the no lye was seriously drying and damaging my hair.

vevster

I changed to lye and am really happy with the gloss. No lye made my hair dry. I remember a stylist using Precise on me... Ick. It didn't agree w/ me at all.

SouthernGirl

I use Lye now after using no-lye for a very short time in college b4 learning about the pros and cons of each. I really don't remember the affects on my hair using no-lye, but I know I'll never switch back because I found one that works well.

After stretching my relaxer out almost 4 mos, I relaxed again and am so happy I did due to excessive shedding.

Vitale Lye (White jar) is my relaxer of choice. It's gentle enough that it does not burn my scalp, but it's strong enough that I've never had a problem with frizzy/under-processed areas.

SG

Dolapo

Since i changed to lye, my hair is much thicker and yes, the no-lye ends are frizzy and very dry. Im trying to cut off the no-lye areas. So im sorta transitioning to lye. lol

hondahoney007

For years I had used Dark & Lovely no lye regular. After a wile my hair stopped taking to the relaxer. It dried my hair out. I then switched to Optimum lye (super). I also had the Dark & Lovely permanent color "Golden Bronze". (I know now bad combination). The Optimum also burned my scalp. My sister turned me on to the dominican salons. Its there that I became hooked on to Affirm sensitive scalp. I've been using that for years now with no problems. Once in a while I get a relapse and stick permanent color in my hair(hair starts breaking) and my stylist always screams on me and tells me "no more permanent color, only rinse".

L

LaNecia

Wow, I was sitting here really thinking about switching to Lye Relaxers because although my hair is not breaking or shedding, the texture is WEIRD...

So, I did a search...THANKS FOR THE SEARCH FEATURE!

Now, I just need to know WHICH relaxer to use for my texturizer retouch in June or July....

Porsche19

I like lye relaxers. They make hair softer, shinier and overall healthier.

No-lye I find straightens better, but leaves hair drier and duller.

I go with the lye because I'm only going for texturized anyway.

L

LaNecia

Porsche19, which relaxer do you prefer and what is your hair type? I looking for a hair twin so I can better gauge my results. I'm a 4a (front/top)/4b (sides and back), with fine strands.

Porsche19

Oh hey, Lanecia. I recommend PCJ lye! It's really good, my hair has never been better. :)

As soon as I get a digital camera I'm going to post pics. I'm been raving about products like a lunatic, and I'm afraid that people don't quite believe me because they can't actually see the results. :lol:

edited to add:

I have 4a hair with some 3c in the nape area... which is mostly coarse, but has many fine and normal hairs as well.

Last edited:

Mizani_Mrs

Well I wish i could chime in but heck if I know which relaxer relaxed the best...I'm a victim of a stylist using the 'hide the relaxer' method. where she turns the label around so you can't tell which relaxer she's using. I did notice differences in sometimes the relaxer would be good and other times it wouldn't take well. I remember I had good results with Mizani lye relaxer (not sure wich) and i think she probably used a no-lye without my knowledge. Sorry to vent but this really burns me up. This sounds so very unethical since I pay the same price for my relaxer. I'd prefer a salon brand over something she bought at CVS. Well when i do decide to go back to a salon i will promise you that i will NEVER be taken advantage of again.... I will voice everything i want. :mad:

Porsche19

Good for you Mizani!

I haven't been to a hairdresser for years. I'm afraid that if I go, I'd have to get physical with the hairdresser if she does one thing wrong.

What *****, you're trying to comb through my nappy @ss hair with that little comb? *slap*
You trying to instant condition me for 5 minutes instead of sitting me under the dryer? *uppercut*
Do you think that you can just pull out the scissors on me and start snipping ends that don't need snipping? *punch*

I can see myself doing that. I don't want to be arrested, so I'll just continue to do my hair by myself.

L

LaNecia

Porsche19 said:
Good for you Mizani!
...I'd have to get physical with the hairdresser if she does one thing wrong.

What *****, you're trying to comb through my nappy @ss hair with that little comb? *slap*
You trying to instant condition me for 5 minutes instead of sitting me under the dryer? *uppercut*
Do you think that you can just pull out the scissors on me and start snipping ends that don't need snipping? *punch* ....

It's not right....but I understand!! :lol:

balisi

If I remember correctly, calcium hydroxide is used in place of lye in some of those no-lye relaxers. Calcium in our bodies creates hardness (ie. strong (hard) bones. Calcium in our relaxers creates hard (brittle) hair, which leads to dryness and frizziness. If I were to ever relax my hair again (not likely), I would choose a mild lye-based relaxer.

hottopic

Like you I did my research and found that lye was better for my hair. I was using no-lye for years and now my ends always seem dry and stringy. I started using lye and now I am able to stretch my relaxer. My hair is not breaking as much as it use to (there was a hugh difference there). My hair looks and feels healthy for the most part. But I still have the no-lye section of my hair I am trying to grow out....

azul11

azul said:
thank you for your words. it really is encouraging to me to hear someones story about the difference in their using a lye verses always using a no lye. i am also glad you mentioned using a regular formula as well. i plan to use motions and i kept hearing recommendations for motions mild so i was worried that the lye regular would be too strong but since i normally use a regular in no lye i dont think it should be a big problem. i cant wait to get my hair done. i plan to go to mirror image in nyc and get my lye relaxer done there. i hope they know how to do the motions moisturizing relaxer where you condition before you neutralize. i am just so excited to be doing this lye thing because no lye does leave my hair looking frizzy and dry. God bless you all.

What a difference 3 years makes lol. THats actually my screenname from back and the day. lost my password and had to sign in all over again. Well I have since gone back to no lye. Lye was a hit or miss situation for me. Mostly miss. It either didnt process enough or made the hair look thin and lifeless. And mind you I was going to places and people who were highly recommended. lol so now I am back to no-lye and just going to keep working it out. God bless you all.

Kalani

I thought I was happy with no lye but now you all got me doubting! Well, I'm going to stick it out with my Phyto for a little while longer cause I like it so far!

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
skegeesmb said:
I've been reading the posts on Lye and No Lye Relaxers. I've been reminded of my dealings with both lye and no lye relaxers. When I was in Alabama my freshman year (97), I would go to Walmart to get my relaxers. All they seemed to have were the no lye relaxers, so that's what I used to relax my hair with.

After my sophomore year, I was able to get to a beauty supply store that sold all kinds of relaxers. Lo and behold, I found my relaxer of choice: Revlon Lye Relaxer Regular, and it's close runner up cousin Creme of Nature Lye Relaxer Regular. So I began using them again.

Just before I cut off my relaxed hair I was looking in the mirror after just washing it. I could clearly tell when I applied no lye relaxers, and lye relaxers. The no lye area was frizzy and didn't lay down straight as my lye relaxed parts did, and when it got humid, the no lye relaxed ares would swell and look a mess.

I got depressed because my hair was pretty long, and I would say that after 4 inches from my scalp I had a big no lye relaxed area that was about 10 inches, and then the rest was lye.

Even though I don't have a relaxer in my hair anymore, if I was to go back to relaxing, I would definately choose lye again. My hair was smoother and shinier when I used the lye as opposed to the no lye.

Just wondering what type of relaxers does everybody here use, and why they've chosen to use either lye or no lye relaxers.

A stylist that I visited said the same thing that you have mentioned. She noticed that with her customers, no-lye doesn't straighten the hair enough. In my experience, lye does make my hair look presentable. My hair would never straighten out right with those box perms.