LYE VS. NO-LYE

offthechainliz

I read in shamboosieand I qoute(no-lye is a silent hair killer amongst black women) I also read in a lot of other hair care books that no lye is no good for the hair and that lye is better. I've used no-lye prettry much all of my life and reading this was kind of shocking to me cause I thoughtn o-lye was suppose to be better. well I'm going to try a lye treatment nest week Affirm and see how it turns out. can you please put your opinion regarding lye and no-lye relaxers and if no-lye isn't good why are all the grocery stores full of them and why do so many black people use it?

sithembile

I have 4b hair and I used to use Dark n Lovely or Creme of nature (no lyes) and my hair was never really straight, it was dry and frizzy and just looked bad. I switched to Revlon, to Dudleys and finally Affirm (all lyes) and I've had much better results. My hair is straight, but it is in much better condition. I think that no lyes were a marketing gimmick to convince us that it was somehow safer. But in fact no lyes still contain lye, its just that its not the same type used in lye based relaxers. In fact, my scalp burned more with no lyes because I found that I had to leave them on longer to get better results. Good luck with Affirm, I think its a great relaxer!

katie

I have heard lye is better for the hair but harsher on the scalp.This has deterred me from getting a lye relaxer since my scalp is very sensitive.Has anyone else ever heard this?

sithembile

I don't think there's much difference on the scalp, the difference is in the application. Like I said, I usually burn with no lyes because I have to keep them on longer. Plus, if your stylist uses something to protect the scalp (like vaseline) and is careful not to apply to the scalp, then you should be fine. Also, Affirm does come in sensitive formula, so maybe you could try that.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I saw better results with lye than with no-lye, too. But I read in an old BHSGO chat transcript that adding ApHogee EFA Oil Concentrate to no-lye relaxers can counter the drying effects.

AMBERSKYE

I used Revlon Realistic Regular Lye Relaxer for along time
and the results were GREAT, as far as my hair was concern.
As far as my scalp, that's another story! I had dandruff for the whole duration of using this relaxer!
At the time I didn't know what was causing my dandruff problem! I get weekly wash & sets, used dandruff shampoos, scalp massages, etc... and I didn't OVER DO IT with the hair products! Nothing seemed to work!
*I always base my scalp with Summit Sensitive Scalp Base (Then & Now)*
When I decided to get highlights, my stylists suggested that I switch relaxers. She suggested Gentle Treatment No-Lye Relaxer because of my scalp condition and because I was getting highlights. I started using the GT 2 touch-ups prior to getting the highlights. I noticed a difference immediately after the 1st touch-up! My dandruff problem did a 180 and by the time I got the 2nd touch-up with GT, my scalp did a 360! I believe No-lye relaxers work better for me because my scalp obviously reacts differently with Lye relaxers!
Now that my hair is color-treated, I must be more cautious about what relaxer I use.
GT has not affected my scalp or my hair in any undesirable way!
I am very happy with the results I've received from this relaxer! My scalp barely gets dry and my hair still has the look it had when I used the Lye relaxer!

*As far as Shamboosie saying, "No-Lye is a Silent Killer amongst Black Women,"
I can't relate!
Lye or No-Lye, CHEMICALS are the main ingredients in both products!
IMO a Chemical is a Chemical, no matter what title you give it!
After my Dandruff Episode, I'll stick with No-Lye, Thank You!!*

*Whatever works for you~STICK WITH IT!*

sweetcocoa

I did no-lyes too thinking they were safer....last month I did lye after 2 years of nothing. Much better...I used Motions...but when I retouch it will be Revlon lye. I used that years ago with no problems....then I started using no-lyes...the damage from them snuck up on me...never again.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Using lyes instead of no lyes, work best for me. I tried Dark and Lovely a long time ago and it made my hair DRY, DRY, DRY, and ROUGH feeling. It didn't relax very well either. When I was using no lyes regularly, Soft n' Beautiful and Gentle Treatment worked well for me. However, since switching to Revlon Realistic a while ago, my hair has been better off. I never had scalp problems with any relaxer.

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard lye is better for the hair but harsher on the scalp.This has deterred me from getting a lye relaxer since my scalp is very sensitive.Has anyone else ever heard this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's true. However, if your scalp is based well before the relaxing process, you should be ok. I switched from no-lye to a lye relaxer last October, and without a doubt, it's the best thing I did. My hair is not dry and brittle like it used to be with the no-lye relaxers. I'll never go back to no-lye.

MissJ

Well, I've never seen a lye perm in a store in my life! After coming to this board, I've looked and looked but never found. Anyway, no-lye did not kill my hair. My hair is very much alive and thriving even after major set backs!

Crystal

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I've never seen a lye perm in a store in my life! After coming to this board, I've looked and looked but never found. Anyway, no-lye did not kill my hair. My hair is very much alive and thriving even after major set backs!

[/ QUOTE ]

What stores are you shopping at? I do agree that they can't be found at the local supermarket or CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreen's. But You can find lye relaxers at the Beauty Supply Stores like sally's or the Asians.

It must be some kind of law or something here in the US... When I was in Cuba and the Dominican Republic, they sold Lye relaxers right in the supermarket.. I even saw som lye at the giftshop in my hotel.. go figure.

MissJ

I go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Eckerd and haven't seen Affirm, Motions, or any others.

Karonica, I think my hair is doing pretty well now. I got a touch-up, and my mom trimmed the ends. I took pictures, so I'll post them later on this week or next week.

AMBERSKYE

Karonica,
Salons order the big buckets of LYE perms directly from the distributors.
I guess the "For Professional Use Only" is the reason for this!

Karonica

LOL! Thanks Amber.

That's good news MissJ. Just keep on doing what you know your hair likes, and everything should be fine.

jellynote

I also use to use no-lye and my hair stayed dry, but since I now use Affirm lye mild my hair is softer and not dry an also I can go longer between touch ups. You can get Affirm at sheldeez.com mizani is also a good relaxer, but that' not available to if your not a professional.

jrw

I have always used no-lye relaxers. I don't intend on changing that anytime soon. I think I have gotten great results with no-lye. My motto is find out what works for you. Don't worry about what other people are doing because everyone is different.

SoniT

[ QUOTE ]
I have always used no-lye relaxers. I don't intend on changing that anytime soon. I think I have gotten great results with no-lye. My motto is find out what works for you. Don't worry about what other people are doing because everyone is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I've used both no-lye and lye and they both work for me. When I do my own perms, I use the no-lye. When I go to the salon, I get the Affirm relaxer. It's really a matter of opinion. Everyone's hair is different so what works for some, may not work for others.

offthechainliz

Thank-you for all the replies, well I got an affirm relaxer yesterday and it was great! my new grow looks a lot mor silkier and healthier then the rest of my hair. This is a keeper. I can physically see a change, the rest of my hair is a bit more poophy (just a bit though, nothing drastic)
and I must have grow between 1/2-1in this past 5 weeks I tried to wait longer but I couldn't and it's all thanks to all the new tips I read form this board!! thank-you!!!

pearlgirl

I thought about using the motions no lye sensitive scalp formula but then I thought back to the time I got a mizani relaxer. I also thought back on all the hair horrors that happened when I used no lye relaxers in the past. For me lye relaxers work best and they dont irritate my scalp. My hair comes out shiny, full of body and most importantly straight. my hair has always resisted no lye relaxers but it didnt stand a chance against the mizani. I'm sticking with the lye.

Babygurl

Lye ALWAYS burned my scalp, no matter how well I was based, I started using no-lye 2 years ago and my hair has been great ever since. Its all about what works for you.

karly

I got this info from the Avlon website:

Affirm® Creme Relaxer
Available in three formulas: Original (Sodium Hydroxide), Control (Time Release-Sodium Hydroxide) and Dry Hair & Sensitive Scalp (Guanidine Hydroxide), in Mild, Normal and Resistant Strengths.*

Guanidine Hydroxide is considered to be no-lye.

sunny

Ive been using lye for a while and my hair is in good shape. Dudleys is an excellent relaxer. It straightens my hair beautifully, leaves it really shiny and it doesnt feel dry after i have it put in. Im not familiar with using no lye relaxers but the lye ive been using hasnt caused damage to my hair.

Kitkat

I switched to lye after years of no-lye perms, and it's the best thing I ever did. My hair was in much better condition, stayed straighter longer and was no longer constantly dry.

Karly, you're right about Guanidine Hydroxide. It's just code for Calcium Hydroxide, the active ingredient in no-lye perms. It builds up and is the culprit in ultimately causing dryness and breakage (for some of us, anyway). Some board members here with lovely hair, like Adrienne, used no-lye relaxers for years with no problems. As with everything else, it boils down to what works best for you.