LYE VS. NO-LYE

Victorian

old head
The first relaxer my mom ever used on my hair was no-lye and that's all I've ever used. It has always straightened well and never made my hair dry or anything, and I have a very sensitive scalp. So for now I'll just stick with the no-lye since it's working for me.

Peachtree

When i used to frequent stylists, they always used "Lye". However, for the last 13 yrs, I've applied my own "No-Lye". I haven't had a problem with either. In fact, I've grown my hair a lil past bs with both (Lye / No-Lye), with no major problems

zanna

no lye works great for me and I apply it myself. I wanted to try a lye relaxer, but I am afraid of the unknown. And I think, since the no lye works great for me( my hair is very healthy, and not dry at all, and growing) I will stick with it;).
Zanna

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
no lye works great for me and I apply it myself. I wanted to try a lye relaxer, but I am afraid of the unknown. And I think, since the no lye works great for me( my hair is very healthy, and not dry at all, and growing) I will stick with it;).
Zanna

[/ QUOTE ]
Good idea Zanna.

Adrian3bc

Before beginning to transition i used motions mild lye and my hair was growing great but I decided to be a smart butt and bought and used a gentle treatment no lye and a pcj no lyewe and since then my hair has had to be cut to camo the damage caused by these relaxers. I am going natural but I am super PRO-Lye and i shun box perm as i walk throught the haircare section. I have extremelyh sensitive skin (excema) and never have had any probs with burns or irritation.

PS does any one think that switch in relaxers could cause breakage?

B

ballet_bun

offthechainliz,

I am so glad you started this thread. I too am considering THE BIG SWITCH!!! I'd like to try Affirm or PCJ. I had a lot of luck with PCJ , when I was younger. I am just a little nervous about switching again.

I'd like to know if you have any breakage, due to the overlap?

Ballet Bun ....

offthechainliz

actually I didn't. though i've heard when you switch from a no-lye to lye its good to run the lye through all the hair to try to get some of the calcium build-up in it, I didn't let my stylist try it.