Magrestiv Dominican Salon

Shaley

Has anyone been to this salon in Marietta or Karisma in Atlanta?

If so, how was you're experience??

I'm trying to find a good salon in Atlanta that specializes in African American hair but am not having a successful journey...

Thanks!

Someone who works in my building goes to Magrestiv. She is natural and APL. She wears it straight all the time. I belive she goes once or twice a month. She gets a rollerset and then the roots blown out. To me it looks really nice and silky. I've been thinking of going soon.

ATLiens! I haven't been to either of these salons. I don't frequent salons anymore but when I do go I like I love Delia's in Marietta (off Franklin Rd). I must warn you though the salon is not the prettiest:lachen:(ok, it's a little hood looking) but I've been to two other DM salons and they were the best.The were fast and extremly nice despite the look of the salon. I would refer more folks to them but some people wouldn't be able to get past the building and neighborhood.

ATLiens! I haven't been to either of these salons. I don't frequent salons anymore but when I do go I like I love Delia's in Marietta (off Franklin Rd). I must warn you though the salon is not the prettiest:lachen:(ok, it's a little hood looking) but I've been to two other DM salons and they were the best.The were fast and extremly nice despite the look of the salon. I would refer more folks to them but some people wouldn't be able to get past the building and neighborhood.

hi there,

your hair is really pretty in your avatar pic

I used to go to Magrestive. I like their service and would probably go again except i just don't think they would be gentle with 13 months of NG. There was a lady named peaches that used to do my hair that was very nice and then she moved away. I liked that she was very thorough and told me exactly what she was putting in my hair and the purpose.

It is family owned and Delcia is the owner and her husband (an older funny gentleman) is Mr. Dupree. Her daughter and son work there as well. (her son's hair is to die for!!!)

There is a transvestite that works there (I'm not trying to be funny but I have REALLY studied him!!!) that did my hair once and he was telling me blah, blah, blah, about how I need to get my hair relaxed more often and how it would break off. When I told him I was transitioning then he recommended that I need to come there EVERY week to let them do it. (why do I keep calling "her" and "him" when he obviously wants to be known as a "she?"

I started going to the one on Franklin Road b/c it was nearer to my job. I can't remember the lady's name that did my hair but she was nice and kept telling me that I didn't need a relaxer. The only thing I don't like is that the shampoo girl is ALWAYS rough with my hair. (At magrestive, the same person that styled my hair shampooed it). On Franklin Road, the last time I went, the shampoo girl kept apologizing for being rough on my hair. I had my jilbere shower comb and offered it to her (she already had a wide tooth comb) but she just kept combing and kept apologizing.

Aside from the fact that they were super rough with my hair while detangling (which is a HUGE factor), she did exactly what I wanted.

There is also another one on Windy Hill further down closer to South Cobb Drive. It's in a blue house. They only charge $25 but the lady and I didn't see eye to eye the last time when I was asking her about trimming my hair with soft layers. (btw, I have had my hair trimmed at both the previous places and was pleased). They charge $25 and you also get a deep condition and the guy that shampoos your hair has magic hands.

I haven't really had the urge to go to a salon to get my hair styled lately but I will be going to one near my job next Friday. It's on Cobb Parkway and looks very nice (american salon) I have visited (just stopped by)twice and talked to the lady about what I want and she said they could do it. I just told her I want her to rollerset my hair and flat iron the NG. I warned her in advance that I have about 7 inches of NG and explained to her that I need it rollerset to get the bounce. (didn't want her to try to convince me to let her blow dry it and flat iron all of it).

Sorry so long but I hope that helps!!!

BB

I used to go to Karisma in Lilburn. Christina did my hair. She is a beast with the blow dryer! She would have my hair swinging and full of body when I left. I loved it. Now I have wised up and realize all that heat isn't good, and I only get my roots blown out, and now I go to Sula's in Atlanta. What I like most about this shop is that all of the stylist in there are pretty consistent. I don't have to wait around for anyone in particular b/c they are all very gentle, and I know I am going to like the way my hair looks when I leave regardless of who does it. Good luck with finding the stylist/salon that is right for you. I know how tough it can be.

I wanted to BUMP this thread! Are there any other Dominican salons in Atlanta that anyone would recommend? I have about an inch of new growth, so I am looking for a place where they would be gentle with my hair.

It is sooo hood, but I must admit, when I go to the salon, that's where I go. I sit in a yard chair elbow to elbow with the ladies next to me as we sit under the dryer. I remember over the summer they did not have hot water. I was getting shampoos under cold water.:yep:. What a girl wont do to look cute. I usually see Helen or Liliana. Liliana is very gentle.. I have tried other salons and none gives me the results I get when I go there.

I go to Magrestiv (It's about 15 minutes from my house). I've had a good experience. I never go on Saturdays, but any other day I can walk in and be in the shampoo bowl within 10 minutes.

I usually go to Liz. She's very gentle with my hair. When Liz wasn't around, I've been to everyone else but the transvestite. I'm not impressed by his work and I can't get down with a man wearing Apple Bottom jeans. It's just disturbing to me.

It is sooo hood, but I must admit, when I go to the salon, that's where I go. I sit in a yard chair elbow to elbow with the ladies next to me as we sit under the dryer. I remember over the summer they did not have hot water. I was getting shampoos under cold water.:yep:. What a girl wont do to look cute. I usually see Helen or Liliana. Liliana is very gentle.. I have tried other salons and none gives me the results I get when I go there.

I did not have the same experience as you ladies!!! I went there before I even moved to ATL. A Dominican co-worker of my husband recommended them because that's where she got her hair done. They were ok. I could of had a V8!! I waited a long time with mediocre results. Ghetto is putting it nicely:grin: It's right next to a botanica (aka voodoo store). So I guess that if you don't like your hair, you could put a spell on the hairdresser! Plus I've seen the damage that those Frankin Road salons caused when I went to The Place Dominican Salon in Marietta. Girls came there after their hair had broken off so badly from the salons on Frankin Road. My stylist left there, so I haven't been back. I go to Balisi now. Good luck finding a salon.

I go to Magrestiv and Marisol does my hair. The same owner opened a new salon on Canton Rd. and Fatima is really good. Mon-Wed you get $5 off each service. I recommend both salons.

Back