Making Fun of the Black Church: Is This Funny?

PaperClip

http://hellonegro.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/144/

Making fun of Black Churches? Is this funny?

Going to a Black Church - Rich Praytor
Oh lord, the cartwheel…that was a lil too far. Is this funny? Would it be funny if it was a black comedian? Is this a bit insensitive…especially for a christian comedian performing at a church???

Black Christians (and I know you come to this blog…especially to see the “Black Folks Fighting Outside the Church Video), so what do you guys think about this? I know that the white folks in the audience thought is was hilarious, but whether they’ve been to a black church or not…that’s questionable. I say that’s questionable, because Sunday services are the most segregated places in America (by choice). How do they even know what he’s saying rings true? OH Yeah…I forgot. We as African Americans says the same things at our comedy shows, on television, in movies…and white people see it…and they laugh. Ask Dave Chappelle and he’ll tell you that they aren’t always laughing with you, they might be laughing at you.​

loved

I laughed a little and I have definitely seen black comedians do this. Didn't Big Momma start shouting and end up break dancing and back flipping in Big Momma's House? I can see the image of a large black woman doing that in a comedy, but I am not sure of the movie. I think Cedric the Entertainer does these jokes.

My cousins and I were talking last week about how we would play church when we were little. One of the churches we went to had a preacher that would make a gutteral HA! sound and wipe his brow after every sentence and then move to screaming and dancing. We would never let my grandmother see it, but we used to do it.

Caramela

This clip was funny to me and sad at the same time. I laughed because it was funny and true that in some denominational churches this is the pattern. Black comedians do this ALLLL the time. I wasn't bothered because he was white .... I was bothered because some people think this is how all black people worship. I'm black. We don't worship like that :nono: