Making Homemade Deep Conditioner Mix

CurlyMoo

Ok ladies I need help.

I'm making my first moisturizing deep conditioner mix, WITHOUT PROTEIN. I use Mega-Tek as my protein conditoner and if I use any more protein my hair gets brittle. All I can find on the market are deep conditioners with protein. I don't want protein I want moisture. So here is my mix and if you ladies can tell me what I can add or what I should leave out that would be very helpful.

Here are the ingredients that I have so far:

Pre-mixed:
1 Avacado
2 tbsp Molasses unsulphured-No Protein
2 tbsp of Castor Oil
1/2 cup of moisturizing cheapy conditioner
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp Vatika oil

Would like to add:
Olive oil - en route
Amla powder - have it and waiting for responses
Water - would like to add more for more moisture

So far my mix is creamy with little lumps. I mixed with a spoon. What do you think? Should I forgo the amla powder? I hear it's moisturizing but I'm not sure if it has protein in it. As for the Vatika oil what do you think of that?

Thank you ladies any advice would be helpful.

msa

Curly, from what I understand I don't think a conditioner exists that has no protein in it whatsoever. But, since you're in overload I know it's important to focus on moisture right now.

Pre-mixed:
1 Avacado
2 tbsp Molasses unsulphured-No Protein
2 tbsp of Castor Oil
1/2 cup of moisturizing cheapy conditioner
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp Vatika oil

Would like to add:
Olive oil - en route
Amla powder - have it and waiting for responses
Water - would like to add more for more moisture

I always thought avocado was a protein...at least I see it a lot in mixes for homemade protein conditioners. I wouldn't have used that. Also, did you blend it? Because if not you may end up with chunks of avocado stuck in your hair.

Molasses is not protein but it does have a strengthening effect, like henna does. You may not want to use it right now since you're already in overload because it may lead to breakage.

I don't know anything about vatika or amla.

I would probably add more water or just make sure your hair is wet when you apply the conditioner.

A simple moisturizing conditioner is honey and olive oil. I've also done honey, olive oil, and coconut oil on wet hair. Worked really well for me.

berryblack

I made one with avocado, natural coconut cream concentrate and an Indian oil I can't spell. Turned out GREAT!:grin: The coco cream comes from Walmart for 77 cents.

msa

^^^Oh yeah coconut cream is great. I know some may consider it a protein because it's from coconut milk but at the most it's a light protein. It's always super moisturizing for me, maybe because it's so fatty.

The Princess

You stated you wanted a moisturizing DC, you might want to omit the advacado, cause its protein, from what I learned.

CurlyMoo

Thank you ladies, I'm glad I asked before I slathered in on my head. I will add more water & conditioner to this mix and use without heat. Or I may just throw it out. :ohwell:

May just saturate my hair with Castor, Olive, and Vatika Oil and sit under the dryer for 15-30 minutes. My hair does well with hot oil treatments. :yep:

CurlyMoo

A simple moisturizing conditioner is honey and olive oil. I've also done honey, olive oil, and coconut oil on wet hair. Worked really well for me.

Do you use this in place of the regular MDC? Do you sit under the dryer while it's in your hair?

msa

Do you use this in place of the regular MDC? Do you sit under the dryer while it's in your hair?

I have a confession.

I rarely "DC". By rarely I mean I do it maybe once a month. When I do it, it's with honey/olive oil, honey/olive/coconut oil, or with olive or coconut oil by itself.

As far as all natural products go, olive and coconut oil have been proven to penetrate the strand, provide nourishment, and they make my hair easy to detangle. I don't own a dryer so I usually put them on wet hair and then wear a plastic cap to bed and rinse out in the morning. But, I'm sure they'd be great under the dryer as well.

CurlyMoo

I have a confession.

I rarely "DC". By rarely I mean I do it maybe once a month. When I do it, it's with honey/olive oil, honey/olive/coconut oil, or with olive or coconut oil by itself.

As far as all natural products go, olive and coconut oil have been proven to penetrate the strand, provide nourishment, and they make my hair easy to detangle. I don't own a dryer so I usually put them on wet hair and then wear a plastic cap to bed and rinse out in the morning. But, I'm sure they'd be great under the dryer as well.

:lachen: HOW DARE YOU?

I've heard this from quite a few ladies and they have WL hair or longer. :spinning:

Ok so does this mean that you rarely PC? It sounds like you are getting enough moisture elsewhere if you are not moisture depleated.

ETA: I'm using MT so I want to be sure that I get enough moisture to combat dryness.

msa

:lachen: HOW DARE YOU?

I've heard this from quite a few ladies and they have WL hair or longer. :spinning:

Ok so does this mean that you rarely PC? It sounds like you are getting enough moisture elsewhere if you are not moisture depleated.

ETA: I'm using MT so I want to be sure that I get enough moisture to combat dryness.

What's PC? Did you mean protective style?

And yes, you should make sure you're getting enough moisture because of the MT.

I get moisture everyday. I rinse my hair with water in the shower and then I then add globs of castor oil when I get out whether I'm in a protective style or just wearing a puff. When I take out my celie braids (usually once a week) to wash and detangle, I saturate my hair with coconut oil as I'm braiding back up. Coconut oil is a conditioner for me.

So with all that, I find that I don't need to DC. I don't use heat and I don't really do anything to degrade my strands so I don't need any heavy duty products to make them smooth or fill in the holes or fix any damage.

berryblack

Did you use it as a moisture or protein conditioner?

I used it as a moisturizing conditioner--heck, I thought it was very moisturizing but according to everyone here, it was not:blush:. It is very fatty and feels great to me! Nevermind, I guess...

CurlyMoo

What's PC? Did you mean protective style?

And yes, you should make sure you're getting enough moisture because of the MT.

I get moisture everyday. I rinse my hair with water in the shower and then I then add globs of castor oil when I get out whether I'm in a protective style or just wearing a puff. When I take out my celie braids (usually once a week) to wash and detangle, I saturate my hair with coconut oil as I'm braiding back up. Coconut oil is a conditioner for me.

So with all that, I find that I don't need to DC. I don't use heat and I don't really do anything to degrade my strands so I don't need any heavy duty products to make them smooth or fill in the holes or fix any damage.

Protein Conditioner, I have been contemplating just using my daily moisturizing instead of deep conditioning.

msa

Protein Conditioner, I have been contemplating just using my daily moisturizing instead of deep conditioning.

Oh yeah ummm, I never use those either. Well not on purpose. I guess the biggest protein conditioner I use is coconut milk. I don't find that I need protein since I don't use heat or anything like that.

Oyin Honey Hemp, which I love, has silk protein but it's definitely not considered a protein conditioner. But I haven't used it in months. I need to order more so I can start back doing bantu knot outs because it's the only thing I can use as a leave-in for that style.

I'm hair lazy. And not using heat allows me to do that. My hair is made of protein and I use coconut oil a lot, which helps slow protein loss from the strand.