male thinning hair advice

ManeStreet

Hi,

A guy asked me what he should do because he noticed that his hair is starting to thin & of course he isn't too excited about the prospect of losing his hair.

I told him to start right away with hair loss prevention and the first thing I thought of was Rogaine foam for men.

Do you ladies have any recommendations? I have not noticed any thinning of his hair so it must not bad yet. He said it's not noticable to anyone unless he specifically pointed it out to them but or course he notices it & he's concerned.

Songbirdb

My guy is having the same problem. I think I'm gonna have him try Mega Trek because I remember hearing so many wondering things about it. And I have some JBCO as well. I guess that couldn't hurt.

yeahisaidit

I've noticed scalp massages work as well. A friend of mine had a bald spot in his crown and was using his locks to conceal it. Once he allowed me to maintain his hair, weekly washes and scalp massages helped grow it back. It took a total of nine months forint to catch up with the rest of his locks (I had to cut his locks shorter).

daviine

ManeStreet said:
Hi,

A guy asked me what he should do because he noticed that his hair is starting to thin & of course he isn't too excited about the prospect of losing his hair.

I told him to start right away with hair loss prevention and the first thing I thought of was Rogaine foam for men.

Do you ladies have any recommendations? I have not noticed any thinning of his hair so it must not bad yet. He said it's not noticable to anyone unless he specifically pointed it out to them but or course he notices it & he's concerned.

It's still early so I would def go with scalp massages but I suggest he see a good dermatologist or primary care physician. He should make sure it's not a symptom of something else.

faithVA

Definitely scalp massages. Try an oil blend of the castor oil, olive oil, vitamin E with some essential oils (rosemary, thyme, lavendar, sage). He needs to make sure his scalp stays healthy, clean and moisturized in that area and improve the circulation.

No matter what product he uses, he needs to add the scalp massages at least 1 to 2 minutes a day.

Fhrizzball

With Rogaine though don't you have to keep doing it indefinitely for once you stop you lose all your progress?

Austro-Afrikana

ManeStreet Male hair loss is caused by excess testosterone. In the scalp the testosterone gets turned into DHT or something like that. He needs to take a DHT blocker. Saw palmetto standardised extract has been shown to reduce hair loss and even stimulate new hair growth.

naturalmanenyc

If I recall correctly from biology class, male baldness is genetic, gene carried by mother. Can it really be stopped with scalp massages or oils?

SunRai Naturals

Stimulating essential oils like peppermint and rosemary worked for us. The hubby had a bald spot in the back that was bald for years before I met him and thinning on the top (which is genetic). We started using a leave-in conditioner spray and a scalp balm with those oils in it and his hair grew back. The top is still that softer texture but it matches the thickness of the rest of his hair. Even if it is genetic there are things that can be done to slow down the process,hold onto the hair, and grow new hair. I wouldn't have believed it before but the hubby's experience convinced me. At the time we used Hairobics products but you can get some distilled water and put those oils in it yourself. You can also do a herbal infusion of horsetail, nettle, and all those herbs that contribute to hair growth and strength.

Another key thing is making sure that the hair that he does have(in those thinning areas) is strong so daily moisture with some protein in it is very helpful. As long as you can still see hair follicles, he still has a chance.

Last edited: