Man, why is it that it is only NOW we as Black women are knowing proper hair care????

*ElleB

It's like DAMN, all these years most of us grew up believing all these myths about our own hair. And if a Black person did have hair that was "long" (cuz we all know that standard is different within our community too) about BSL, we dismiss it and say, "Well, they probably got Indian in their family" And now, here is LHCF, a community of women who are defying society's false constraints of what we can or can't do with out hair.
And there isnt one extreme of women on here: it's not the militiant naturals (no offense to y'all) or the women who are so scared of naps that they run to a relaxer every time they see what looks like a kink.

We embrace our hair here, and we support each other, and we work to re-program the way society has made us think.

I'm glad to be a part of this Forum... Happy Hair Growing, Ladies!:D :D

Southernbella.

Re: Man, why is it that it is only NOW we as Black women are knowing proper hair care

I totally agree with you. I'm so happy to not be stupid anymore! :D Here, there is a community of women who are making educated choices about their hair care. It's a beautiful thing, and I'm proud to be a part of it. I can only hope the movement grows, because there are many more women out there who still don't know any better.

WomanlyCharm

Re: Man, why is it that it is only NOW we as Black women are knowing proper hair care

I am so blessed to have found this board, and can only say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share methods and advice. And hopefully sometime I'll be able to help someone as much as you all have helped me.

We should be proud of what we have here...we're holding each other up and all moving forward toward our goal: long (HEALTHY) hair.

ElleB, It may have taken us a long time to discover the knowledge we need to make this happen, but man! Now that we've got it, there's no limit to what we all can achieve! :)

asummertyme

I know, it does suck, and when u try to tell some people how to properly care for thier hair they dont listen...old habits die hard i guess..

CinnaMocha

You definitely brought up a good point Elleb! However, it's nice to know that we were born in a time when hair growth for black women has made a total 360. It's has to start somewhere, and hopefully soon the word can be spread abroad and many more black women can experience hair growth like crazy.

LiLi

asummertyme said:
I know, it does suck, and when u try to tell some people how to properly care for thier hair they dont listen...old habits die hard i guess..

That is sooo true. In school, everytime a black person comes in for a rollerset, they immediately pull out the pink oil moisturizer. :ohwell: I feel that it's not our fault because we were and still are taught that we shouldn't wash our hair, we MUST use things like Pink Oil Moisturizer everyday ... etc. etc.

It's awful that some people just don't want to listen. I was trying to help one of the students in the school by telling her how to grow the area above her ear that is completely bald. I told her that she could apply Surge14 but that she had to wash her hair everyday if she were to use it. She said "I can't wash my hair everyday". Then I said, "Yes you can". She still refused. She had her hair in braids for 3 months and didn't wash her hair AT ALL :eek: .

One of the white girls in my school said that she was shocked by the length of my mother's hair (and her hair is only 2 inches past her shoulders). She said she that in her town, the women either have weaves or very short hair. I told her that is because we are miseducated and that is the exact reason why I want to be a hair care professional.

Aspiring hairdressers are miseducated and that is why the majority of them are quick to throw a weave in a client's hair if but do not know the first thing about helping them achieve health and length.

I feel so blessed to have found hair care boards. Before the boards my hair never got to far by shoulder-length. Now I am happy to say that my hair is about less then 2" from my waist. It has been a long road but I love taken care of my hair and I will be even happier when I am able to take care of many heads of black women; helping them achieve beautiful healthy hair.

We are a very small percentage of black women that are now educated on taking care of their hair. There are thousands and thousands more that need to be reached and educated.

SweetCaramel1

growing up, the focus was on the appearance of hair. if it "looked" good, it was good. there wasn't alot of emphasis on hair care itself. i still think many stylist only focus on how the hair looks and not on it's health.

BahaGirl

We are too focused on acheiving the European ideal of beauty instead of focusing on hair care. We've been brainwashed to think having long straight hair is what we must have, whether it be through a relaxer or a weave.

Isis

I am so grateful to have come across LHCF. The only reason I found this forum is after actually praying for help for my damaged hair. Prayer is so powerful. I realized I didn't know anything about haircare and was just going through the motions, which wasn't working.

I love seeing black women in particular grow out their hair to just about any length! There are no limitations! It makes me feel good inside to be able to see what is possible and to know I don't have to go to a stylist to have healthy hair.

We are living in a time period where technology and our rapidly advancing consciousness makes it possible for information like this to be spread almost instantly around the world.

Chromia

LiLi said:
I feel that it's not our fault because we were and still are taught that we shouldn't wash our hair, we MUST use things like Pink Oil Moisturizer everyday ... etc. etc.

I used to use Pink Oil Moisturizer everyday. My hairdresser recommended it to me. After using it for months, every single morning, there was no improvement in my hair. My hairdresser told me my hair was still dry.

My mom and grandmother never knew how to properly care for my hair or their own hair. I advised my grandmother not to use anything with petrolatum or mineral oil, but she uses Blue Magic hair grease, and the first ingredient is petrolatum. She also uses Pro Styl pressing oil - the 1st 3 ingredients are petrolatum, lanolin, and mineral oil.

*ElleB

Yup, ladies!! I just wish we could expand this into an even bigger community: hair salons and even Beauty Supply Stores where we have things that we know are good for our hair, all based on the right principles in Black Hair Care....

Plenty

I think its because we have the internet, and we can network with others who have long hair.
In the past I was ok with the fact that I was never going to have "good hair," I never even tried.

Now that I know you do not have to go to the salon "every two weeks" to have nice long hair becuase of the infor on this site and others...

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
Plenty706 said:
I think its because we have the internet, and we can network with others who have long hair.
In the past I was ok with the fact that I was never going to have "good hair," I never even tried.

Now that I know you do not have to go to the salon "every two weeks" to have nice long hair becuase of the infor on this site and others...

Great point! We have access to so much information!

cocoberry10

I agree with everyone's posts. Before this forum, I had hit rock bottom with my hair. It was so damaged, dried, fried and sizzled, I thought there was no hope.

I have definitely had bumps and bruises along the way, but I am beginning to discover what works for my hair.

You ladies have also helped me personally and spiritually. Before this forum, I had such a negative image of my hair. I have 2 sisters, and growing up the hairdressers would always make me feel bad about my hair, because they both have a softer texture (read: what hairdressers call "good hair") and I don't. I have a tighter pattern.

I truly believed that women with my hair texture just weren't meant to have long hair, but now I realize that's not true.

So thank you LHCF ladies!:)

Blaque*Angel

It aint right but atleast our children will know how to care for their hair!
I think a lot of us were brainwashed to believe our hair can only be a certain length/condition.

Samaria

Im just like everyone else, I accepted it was impossible as a black woman to grow hair to long lengths. I found Cathy Howse, I was like it's possible, but then I found this board I was like OH ITS ON NOW.

ekomba

*ElleB said:
It's like DAMN, all these years most of us grew up believing all these myths about our own hair. And if a Black person did have hair that was "long" (cuz we all know that standard is different within our community too) about BSL, we dismiss it and say, "Well, they probably got Indian in their family" And now, here is LHCF, a community of women who are defying society's false constraints of what we can or can't do with out hair.
And there isnt one extreme of women on here: it's not the militiant naturals (no offense to y'all) or the women who are so scared of naps that they run to a relaxer every time they see what looks like a kink.

We embrace our hair here, and we support each other, and we work to re-program the way society has made us think.

i agree with you.me part of my ignorance was due to trusting the professionals back home and in the states. i would see them in France perming my whole head no matter where i go, i would listen to their advice because hey they are the professionals. My family put their heads in the hands of stylists cause thats their job and we take whatever they say for sacred and execute without thinking. They give you "balayages" (its like lightening of hair but strands) with decolorations and many styles, perming whatever you want but they more into style than really caring for the hair. Sheesh they even tell you when to come back when you need what ahahha i personnally come back when i have the money haha

I realize before coming to this forum i did not know anything about proper hair growing. Even my family to this day tells me that i m not supposed to wet my hair often i m not white they hair is greasy that s why i cant. and now they see my hair growing so fast in 7 months so they stop giving me advice and ask for advice. it s very hard to shake years of improper hair conduct and all these myths. i remember once when my friends said what you trying to do aint gonna work black people cant have waistlength hair they are made with short hair your hair will stay short. I would direct them to this site and say see the long hair and they would all reply no they are mixed their hair is supposed to be long. you you are black. You need the perm or they will fall out. and most stuff .so you listen to your friends, to the experts and realize they are just novice even the so-called professionals its a shame you get a license, degree to do hair and cant even provide proper hair care.

When i join LHCF, I first learn of transitioning and transitioned for one year while lurking, then i learn of scab hair before i got it and dismissed it at first than experienced it. it was as if LHCF was a guide with one step ahead of me, a big sis, finally something that understood my hair and my needs i discover all that info and all the answers to any of my problems by going to the archives, reading posts and interacting with yall. i know all i i know thanks to this forum and can now pass it on i m a hair addict:grin: i m late at taking care of my hair but better late than never damn how many years i wasted but hey at least i m learning now nobody can love your hair and put the effort better than you do.

Last edited:

MonaRae

ITA with all of you. Before LHCF I dreaded black hair. I just did not understand why God gave us hair that did not grow. Now don’t get me wrong, I am proud to be black I would not trade my heritage for anything but, I would look at other ethnic groups and just be in aaw of the beautiful long hair.

Now I love my hair. I too prayed for an answer to long black hair and God lead me here. I was actually looking for a way to curl my hair and I found LHCF. Before this site, my hair was falling out sooooo bad that I just did not care and said, “It normal!” How in the world I still have hair on my head is a complete mystery.

I know better now and have made a complete 180 degree turn around. I still have a ways to go but I am well on the road to waistlength hair.

Thanks to all you wonderful ladies my shedding has stop and my hair is not thin like I thought. I have beautiful thick hair and I am very proud of it.

I too, tried telling a couple of friend about washing hair at least 2 times a week but I get that look, you know what I am talking about. That “You are crazy” look so at this time I am not telling anyone I know what I am doing. I will let my hair tell the story. When I get to BSL I will come out of this bun (which by the way if I think about it too long I will just monkey) and then I will share all.

Thanks for starting this topic. It has been on my heart for some time now.

*ElleB

MonaRae said:
ITA with all of you. Before LHCF I dreaded black hair. I just did not understand why God gave us hair that did not grow. Now don’t get me wrong, I am proud to be black I would not trade my heritage for anything but, I would look at other ethnic groups and just be in aaw of the beautiful long hair.

Now I love my hair. I too prayed for an answer to long black hair and God lead me here. I was actually looking for a way to curl my hair and I found LHCF. Before this site, my hair was falling out sooooo bad that I just did not care and said, “It normal!” How in the world I still have hair on my head is a complete mystery.

I know better now and have made a complete 180 degree turn around. I still have a ways to go but I am well on the road to waistlength hair.

Thanks to all you wonderful ladies my shedding has stop and my hair is not thin like I thought. I have beautiful thick hair and I am very proud of it.

I too, tried telling a couple of friend about washing hair at least 2 times a week but I get that look, you know what I am talking about. That “You are crazy” look so at this time I am not telling anyone I know what I am doing. I will let my hair tell the story. When I get to BSL I will come out of this bun (which by the way if I think about it too long I will just monkey) and then I will share all.

U are so welcome! It has been on my heart for a while too. For a while b4 I even started this topic. I went from wondering to being so disgusted with the things that we internalized all these years. I know it's just hair, but for us, in this community is is way deeper than that. It's a whole world of a topic unto itself and I'm so glad I found a place where we can discuss this and feel happy that we finally know truth. :)

CurliDiva

*ElleB said:
U are so welcome! It has been on my heart for a while too. For a while b4 I even started this topic. I went from wondering to being so disgusted with the things that we internalized all these years. I know it's just hair, but for us, in this community is is way deeper than that. It's a whole world of a topic unto itself and I'm so glad I found a place where we can discuss this and feel happy that we finally know truth. :)

Just think about all the other CRAP about black folks that we just accept as the truth!

LHCF has be a godsend! :D

Southernbella.

MonaRae said:

Wow. I think that's it, in a nutshell. I think many black women feel this way, but we don't acknowledge it because hating something about yourself is very unsettling. I'm also thankful to LHCF for changing my mindset. I'm not afraid of my naps anymore. I actually like them a lot, and I play with them constantly when they come in.

mermaid

asummertyme said:
That is more the problem. It was there all along, but no one wanted to listen.
These aren't new ideas on hair care- it was common sense all along, I never heard of 90% of the problems and torture techniques that I have heard on the boards, I have no idea where some of the poor hair care theories ever came from and where they found a foot hold or how they spread!!:lol:
With the internet, the proof is there to see on methods to care for black hair; there are pictures that attest to the treatments that give folks hope and make them actually listen for once. Some of the stuff that is presented as "new and exciting" ideas that everyone gets all excited and asking tons of questions about, are NOT new- they just weren't accepted by black women in the past.
A lot of the problems were from women wanting to make their hair like "white" hair and employed the most devilish ways to do it and ended up with some mighty crispy hair.
If you look back, there have always been black women with long hair especially in countries where there isn't a strong and direct American/Euro influence) , because they didn't try to force it to be bone straight, they just worked with what they had.
I admit that I drift through the hair boards looking for interesting topic and have tried a few things that would benefit me as far as detangling my thousands of types of hair (usually they aren't really that helpful), but in the end, the best thing that worked for me is to leave it alone and let it grow. The hair knows what to do and always has, we just keep interferring with it.

*ElleB

mermaid said:
That is more the problem. It was there all along, but no one wanted to listen.
These aren't new ideas on hair care- it was common sense all along, I never heard of 90% of the problems and torture techniques that I have heard on the boards, I have no idea where some of the poor hair care theories ever came from and where they found a foot hold or how they spread!!:lol:
With the internet, the proof is there to see on methods to care for black hair; there are pictures that attest to the treatments that give folks hope and make them actually listen for once. Some of the stuff that is presented as "new and exciting" ideas that everyone gets all excited and asking tons of questions about, are NOT new- they just weren't accepted by black women in the past.
A lot of the problems were from women wanting to make their hair like "white" hair and employed the most devilish ways to do it and ended up with some mighty crispy hair.
If you look back, there have always been black women with long hair especially in countries where there isn't a strong and direct American/Euro influence) , because they didn't try to force it to be bone straight, they just worked with what they had.
I admit that I drift through the hair boards looking for interesting topic and have tried a few things that would benefit me as far as detangling my thousands of types of hair (usually they aren't really that helpful), but in the end, the best thing that worked for me is to leave it alone and let it grow. The hair knows what to do and always has, we just keep interferring with it.

Amen, ITA w/ you!

Gryphyn

*ElleB said:

Hear Hear!! :alcoholic

My relaxed hair was at chin length for most of my life. I used to believe that my hair would never grow longer and it always made me sad. When I realized how healthy, long, and easy to maintain natural hair can be, I started transitioning right away. I love my hair, and you LHCF ladies have shown me how to grow it to lengths I never thought possible for me! :bdance:

Last edited:

alexei

Because of LHCF, I don't feel bad that my relaxing experiment left me practically bald in the back :(
It started my haircare journey that led me to this site. No more hit and miss!
It's rare to find women who are willing to share their hair secrets ...
and yet on this site we have 100s of them.
Thank God for LHCF and the women who make it work! :)

ekomba

alexei said:
Because of LHCF, I don't feel bad that my relaxing experiment left me practically bald in the back :(
It started my haircare journey that led me to this site. No more hit and miss!
It's rare to find women who are willing to share their hair secrets ...
and yet on this site we have 100s of them.
Thank God for LHCF and the women who make it work! :)

You so right Alexei, if i try to ask a lady outside the boards what she uses on her hair , what s her regimen they give me an attitude like they dont wanna talk even relatives or friends they dont like to discuss hair. And i feel that people outside of hair boards love to be in competition and want to be the only one with the long hair and now everybody accuses me of being secretive and not wanting their hair to grow and keeping everything to myself but each time i talk i sound like a broken record people say it s too complicated like damn i have to sleep with a satin scarf oh no i like my hair to breathe i just like to sleep with nothing covering my head:eek: i can talk but people dont listen and just want me to write all my magic lotions down when they see me. but i stopped talking and ellaborating i just send them to the fotki but i dont waste my time if i tell you to cover your ends dont let it brush against your clothes or cotton or hat and they dont want to hear it or still want to perm the whole thing. its sad till this day that if i try to ask someone what she uses even if i know the person its like you asked them for their social security number i m just talking about what grease what poo they really short and straight to the point that s so annoying all the bickering and you want to be the only one with long hair how insecure why not share.:confused:

Last edited: