Manipulation

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Thanks I did read the entire Komaza thread on here over 2 thousand posts lol. It was very interesting. Maybe I should eh!

Can't remember now but have you had it done @mzteaze??

I had my analysis completed by Gooseprints but I had to wait about 9 months for my spot. That's why I recommended Komaza. But it's worth it to help figure out what you are doing wrong.

snookes

I had my analysis completed by Gooseprints but I had to wait about 9 months for my spot. That's why I recommended Komaza. But it's worth it to help figure out what you are doing wrong.
Are you still waiting for your results?

9 months is a very long time...

I will do the Komaza but I'll have to save some monies first. My partner will think I've gone out of my mind so I guess I won't tell him lol.

mzteaze

Are you still waiting for your results?

9 months is a very long time...

I will do the Komaza but I'll have to save some monies first. My partner will think I've gone out of my mind so I guess I won't tell him lol.

I got my results immediately. But Gooseprints has a wait list that I had to wait for my slot for her analysis for 9 months. I put my name on her list last January and had my evaluation completed in October.

fluffyforever

this is so me. I could post a picture of how much I lose on wash day but people here would start crying. I'm surprised I'm not bald yet. During the week when I want to moisturize and seal I lose less than wash day, but still I lose A LOT. I lose hair just thinking about manipulating it. I've read the Komaza thread entirely and took on their suggestions for most people... less ponytails, more protein, more shampooing, less cowashing. My hair still breaks.

Now I am on a low manipulation challenge - something I've never done before . I wear 4-6 braids during the week after sealing in moisture (AVG) heavily with my shea butter mix. This past week I lost WAY less hair that I usually do. I still lost hair, just not nearly as much after an entire week in braids.

snookes

this is so me. I could post a picture of how much I lose on wash day but people here would start crying. I'm surprised I'm not bald yet. During the week when I want to moisturize and seal I lose less than wash day, but still I lose A LOT. I lose hair just thinking about manipulating it. I've read the Komaza thread entirely and took on their suggestions for most people... less ponytails, more protein, more shampooing, less cowashing. My hair still breaks.

Now I am on a low manipulation challenge - something I've never done before . I wear 4-6 braids during the week after sealing in moisture (AVG) heavily with my shea butter mix. This past week I lost WAY less hair that I usually do. I still lost hair, just not nearly as much after an entire week in braids.
How long is your hair may I ask? Are you a fine strands lady too? How much length do you think you retain a year?

I don't think I've retained anything now for 3 years it's like my hair as come to a halt. My new growth grows in gray now & in 3 months I can honestly say I am lucky if I even see 1 cm growth

snookes

I got my results immediately. But Gooseprints has a wait list that I had to wait for my slot for her analysis for 9 months. I put my name on her list last January and had my evaluation completed in October.
And what was your analysis and are the suggestions working for you??

mzteaze

And what was your analysis and are the suggestions working for you??

I received a 13 page report which covered the mix of hair (my hair is roughly 38% fine, 37% medium, and 25% coarse) with normal porosity at mid shaft & slightly porous ends. Since my hair was in very good condition overall, she recommended focusing on a regimen of strength & hydration.

She broke down which ingredients I should look for in products as well as the ideal pH to look for every step of the hair regimen from pre-poo to styling. She recommended a sample schedule and answered my specific questions regarding my issues with hair thinning. She also reviewed my preferred products & suggested topical products for my hair thinning.

In short, lots of useful information that I use over the year to help retain length.

fluffyforever

How long is your hair may I ask? Are you a fine strands lady too? How much length do you think you retain a year?

I don't think I've retained anything now for 3 years it's like my hair as come to a halt. My new growth grows in gray now & in 3 months I can honestly say I am lucky if I even see 1 cm growth
Yes my hair is fine too. My length is all over the place because of the breakage. Longest layer in back is between APL and BSL. My crown is broken off and is only a few inches. Front reaches the nose. The sides barely reach my collarbone.

I feel like my hair does grow, but breakage is preventing thickness and a more even length. I can't tell you how much I retain each year. I cut my hair to the length of my fist in summer 2016 and now my longest layer at the nape is past APL.

blazingbeauty

I rotate between shampooing one week then co washing the next week with Giovanni 50/50 shampoo & conditioner. Deep condition twice a month with Giovanni Smooth as Silk as recommended in the Science of Hair Book. Dry my hair with a mirco fibre wrap then add anything from Camille Rose Whipped Aloe Butter, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie or Giovanni Direct Leave ln and then seal with my homemade Whipped Shea Butter Mix or sometimes Coconut Oil. I Detangle with the Hercules Magic Star Seamless Comb on wash days. Then finger detangle in between washes

Use my homemade Spritz in between washes (Giovanni Conditioner, a little Jojoba Oil & Water).

But I will be honest now since my leave ins have water as the first ingredient I don't always spritz my hair with water first... Do you think this could be the culprit??

Here are the few things I would recommend. Long Post - so I bolded the main points. Let me know what you think!:)

1. I would stop using the coconut oil - Straight coconut oil caused me SO much breakage. I stuck with it against my better judgement bc of that same study everyone shared about it reducing protein loss and hygral fatigue. Interestingly, mineral oil reduces hygral fatigue a few percentage points LESS than coconut oil (in that study). It would make my hair seem “soft” (for a little), but break like in your picture. I don’t have a problem using products that contain it, only if the formulation is nice.

2. Maybe apply your products (leave ins specifically) on wet hair - On wash day, I find my hair retains the most moisture when I apply product to wet hair verses damp hair. If products are in part used to slow water loss, you get more bang for your buck using them to create as moist an environment around your hair as possible. Applying product on damp hair may mean you are relying mainly on the water content found in the products only.

3. LCO/LOC - On wash day, since you have what looks like quality products (and in an effort to avoid spending tons of money on new products), you may try to use the Direct Leave In (L) , followed by the Camille Rose Aloe Butter (C) , & seal with your shea butter mix (or a lighter oil) (O). The Shea Moisture is pretty heavy as is, so you can try Giovanni followed by only the Shea Moisture (no need for an oil or butter in that case). I think whoever came up with the LOC method was so smart/ observant.

4. Do you have to finger detangle between wash days? Maybe just finger detangle when fully remoisturizing & sealing during the week if at all during the week . I think that works for some people, but it may just be causing you more damage and dryness. Once I start taking down my protective styles after wash day, I lose the moisture I “locked in” a bit faster. I get more breakage messing with my hair a few days in a row.

5. New DC/Add Goodies to Your Current Conditioner - I don’t think the Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner is a deep conditioner (unless you doctor it up with oils etc). I know it says deeper moisture in the title, but it reminds me of a more eco friendly but expensive Tresemme/drugstore conditioner. If you like Giovanni, Fro Bunni praised Giovanni’s Ultra Moisture DC (the green bottle) and a lot of videos on YouTube (old YouTube), praised it as well.

Last edited:

bubbles12345

Hmmm after reviewing this thread and the protein theead, I think I may need to up my protein game some more to battle this breakage. The Oyin hair hemp and shea moisture may not be enough.

@snookes what are your thoughts on increasing protein for your reggie?

moneychaser

Looking at those pics I’d say this as an issue of lack of good deep conditioning vs manipulation. I’d start out with a reconstructor (Joico k-pak) vs protein since your hair is so brittle.

Last edited:

metro_qt

When I started layering emollient, creamy products - a rich leave in, with a cream like Cantu or Lottabody and then sealing w/butter or grease - I found a huge increase in the softness and pliability/elasticity of my hair. A modified version of the LOC/LCO Method. This moisture would last me a week in protective styles.!

I literally took your advice this weekend, since I recently had my hair bleached and highlighted and for the first time ever in my new hair journey was experiencing breakage and mushy hair.

On tuesday, my hair started breaking and shedding...(like everytime I put my hand in my hair, I would have hair in my hands) ...by friday night I went to sally's, got the aphogee 2 step, did my protein treatment and THEN...
I Slept overnight with a deep condition masque mixed with A LOT of olive oil.

My hair stopped breaking immediately, and was able to style as normal.

My hair is bouncy and curly again, and I can resume playing in my hair without breakage and shed hair...

blazingbeauty

I literally took your advice this weekend, since I recently had my hair bleached and highlighted and for the first time ever in my new hair journey was experiencing breakage and mushy hair.

On tuesday, my hair started breaking and shedding...(like everytime I put my hand in my hair, I would have hair in my hands) ...by friday night I went to sally's, got the aphogee 2 step, did my protein treatment and THEN...
I Slept overnight with a deep condition masque mixed with A LOT of olive oil.

My hair stopped breaking immediately, and was able to style as normal.

My hair is bouncy and curly again, and I can resume playing in my hair without breakage and shed hair...

Wow that is wonderful! Thanks for the update. Aphogee treatments are bae. I started slacking on them last year, but i’ve returned to my normal schedule and my hair’s better for it.