March 2018: Hits & Misses

Platinum

Hits:

Design Essentials Oat Protein & Henna Shampoo (Cleansing)
Design Essentials Honey Creme Shampoo (Moisturizing)
Design Essentials Rosemary & Mint Conditioner

I bought these last month. I usually wouldn't spend that kind of money on haircare, especially since I loc'd my hair. But, I decided to try it after seeing Damian Walter recommending them in his YouTube videos. My hair doesn't feel "weighed down" and my scalp feels so clean.

fasika

I have about an inch of hair so this is not for me.

However, my cousin's hair is looking spectacular lately and she recommended her products to my sister. My sis' hair is starting to look great as well so I wanted to share the products in case anyone wants to try them. Their heads were in great shape already, but this seems to have catapulted them into a whole new level!

Shampoo: John Masters Organics - Evening Primrose Shampoo for Dry Hair (at Whole Foods)
Conditioner: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner (on Amazon)

Honi

There is no board.
Miss:

Anthony dickey method. I liked the idea of this method because it's quicker but my results were frizzy curls. Not defined like the other way but takes longer. I will try to tweak this a few more times with adjustments but for now it's a miss.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
If I can find the time, I might give it one more shot, but FIRST IMPRESSION . . .

Likely a miss:

Shea Moisture Manuka Honey Max Hold Gel
https://www.sheamoisture.com/manuka-honey-mafura-oil-hydrate-design-max-hold-gel.html

It's flake-prone on my hair, and the hold is too light on my hair. I used no leave in beneath it, since most reviews had complaints of flakes like snow. Still, I got a few flakes.

At first my wng with it was looking cute. Next day? :down:

I'm going to have to do my hair all over again.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Hit: Semi DIY Detangling Deep Conditioner

My Mix
about 1/4 cup of chilled slippery tea/gel (flaxseed , marshmallow root, slippery elm, amla & brahmi powder + 1 cup water, simmered until reduced)
about 1/2 cup of Eden Bodyworks Cowash
2 tablespoons of DIY ayurveda oil

I used the cowash as a base because the ingredients were similar to a more expensive conditioner I was considering. I thought the mix would be too loose because of the tea, but it maintained a nice, medium thick consistency. The DC was as slippery as I had hoped for, easily detangling and smoothing my hair. After letting it sit under my heatcap for an hour, it rinsed out cleanly, leaving my hair soft yet very defined and smooth.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
22nd Century Natural (Woman) shampoo bar

Why? Why do I keep forgetting how good this stuff is for my hair?

I was able to almost completely finger detangle with it, it held my hair elongated and stretched (it's weird!) so that it didn't retangle, and my hair felt clean and strong and hydrated and non-stripped and conditioned after rinse out.

I really just need to get over my issues and stock up on this bar. I probably need to stick mainly to using this bar and the occasional chelating shampoo. However, I keep concluding and forgetting this again and again.

Last edited:

nymane

MEGA SCALP HEALING HIT
Philip Kingsley Scalp Toner - this is steroid free and amazingly effective for scalp eczema like seborrheic dermatitis. It outperforms my prescription strength 2% ketoconazole cream easily. Pricey but lasts for a long time.

HIT
L'anza Healing Strength Neem Plant Silk Serum - this is the first serum that I've come across that claims to provide heat protection up to 500 degrees (I don't need that much protection, but I'll take it!). It also leaves a glass-like shine and smooth/silky finish. And it smells amazzzzingggg :love:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
MEGA SCALP HEALING HIT
Philip Kingsley Scalp Toner - this is steroid free and amazingly effective for scalp eczema like seborrheic dermatitis. It outperforms my prescription strength 2% ketoconazole cream easily. Pricey but lasts for a long time.

HIT
L'anza Healing Strength Neem Plant Silk Serum - this is the first serum that I've come across that claims to provide heat protection up to 500 degrees (I don't need that much protection, but I'll take it!). It also leaves a glass-like shine and smooth/silky finish. And it smells amazzzzingggg :love:

Thanks for posting this! I'm going to buy that scalp toner right now. Maybe the serum too. I don't straighten, but I'm sure a family member could use it.

LushLox

MEGA SCALP HEALING HIT

HIT

Yes the toner is very good, my scalp feels lovely after using it. The Philip Kingsley Scalp Exfoliator is excellent too, it is great to get rid of scalp build up; I need to repurchase.

nymane

Yes the toner is very good, my scalp feels lovely after using it. The Philip Kingsley Scalp Exfoliator is excellent too, it is great to get rid of scalp build up; I need to repurchase.

I've been eyeing the Exfoliator. Do you purchase directly from the Philip Kingsley website? I purchased the Toner from net-a-porter to save a little on the high shipping cost.

LushLox

I've been eyeing the Exfoliator. Do you purchase directly from the Philip Kingsley website? I purchased the Toner from net-a-porter to save a little on the high shipping cost.

Rarely, as I can normally get his stuff slight cheaper from elsewhere. Although I have bought stuff directly from his clinic, a desperate buy before going on holiday lol.

The exfoliating/stimulating scalp masks are great, it feels like you have a whole new head of hair.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
HIT:

SSI Coco Creme Leave-in Conditioner is the bomb.com. This is my second leave-in by shescentit and I gatta say I love both of them so far. They have the best slip and my hair is left singing a whole new song of soft loveliness. Definitely a repurchase.
...but does it stay moisturized? :look: That's why I stopped using the Cococream and 'em. They smell great, detangle great, have that awesome moisture feeling, but it doesn't last for me. Maybe if I seal with shea butter like I'm doing now...hmmmm

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Continued 4 year Holy to the Holiest Grail hit:

Annabelle's Perfect Blends Hair Creams
Superb moisture, softness, shine, and definition.
@Miss Kane please, please, pleass do not stop making this cream and do not change anything!!! I have never had something perform this consistently for so long. :afro:
Is it the old version of the cream that you custom requested or the new looser texture? I liked the old ones better.

NaturallyATLPCH

Is it the old version of the cream that you custom requested or the new looser texture? I liked the old ones better.
This newer, slightly whipped texture strangey gives me the same definition and moisture, and shine as the old ones. The old ones were great, but left a slightly coated feeling on my hair. But, they were still good.
It is weird, but with the slightly looser texture, it is almost like a curl cream because prior to twisting, it glides through and defines these little coils like no ones business. The ones I get, the texture is between the new looser and older stuff texture.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
This newer, slightly whipped texture strangey gives me the same definition and moisture, and shine as the old ones. The old ones were great, but left a slightly coated feeling on my hair. But, they were still good.
It is weird, but with the slightly looser texture, it is almost like a curl cream because prior to twisting, it glides through and defines these little coils like no ones business. The ones I get, the texture is between the new looser and older stuff texture.
You requested the ones you get?