March 2021: Hits & Misses

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Possible Miss
*Soultonical - SPROUT Follicular Rice Tonic

I’ll try this out again to see if it’s the culprit but this made my hair hard. It says apply to scalp and hair.... my roots weren’t hard, just my ends. I’ve never experienced this with rice water before. I also don’t see any benefits on my length. Normally rice water reduces hair shaft friction for me and aids in preventing ssks but I didn’t get that from this product and the pump was terrible.

I’ll try it again, it very well could be me. I probably need a trim, or I could use it after DCing.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Miss
continuous spray bottle. Either Im slow or I received a defective bottle. It is not continuously spraying.

New Hits
Negesbanda Ayurvedic gloss
Gentle strengthening and hint of moisture at the same time. Next time I’ll try it adding to another conditioner to give it a boost

Still a hit
Negesbanda Tea Moist Hair milk, super slippery and moisturizing.

colorful_coils

Hits:
Brown Butter Beauty Babassu DC
- extremely moisturizing. My hair came out so soft after having it in for just 5 minutes. I've noticed this does better on very wet hair.

Camille Rose Coconut Water Style Setter - very softening and moisturizing. Great base for a wash-and-go. It's a cream, but it doesn't have enough hold for a twist-out (on my hair anyway).

Earthtones Naturals Max Curl Enhancing Gelly - great definition and hold, without making my hair feel hard.

Big Miss:
Camille Rose Neroli Blossom Cleansing Milk
- zero slip and my hair barely feels clean, even for a cowash. Has anyone tried any of the other cleansing milks?

LiLi

Hits:

Oribe Gold Lust Conditioner. I honestly think this is a remake of the Moisture and Control Conditioner because it has the same exact consistency as the old version of the Moisture and Control. I love how it makes my hair much easier to comb through and it also doesn’t make it feel mushy — it’s like the product just sinks right into my hair. I think I am starting to like Oribe products more than Kerastase.

Sun Bum Revitalizing Conditioner - I love this stuff. I use it mostly as a pre-poo to comb my hair. It doesn’t make it feel as good as the Oribe though. However, I feel it is a great replacement for the Silk Dreams Avocado conditioner that I loved so much. So because of that, I will keep it in my rotation.

colorful_coils

Hits
Innersense Hydrating Cream Conditioner - very moisturizing rinse-out. I apply it on soaking wet hair, marry the conditioner with the water to let it foam up, detangle, and rinse it out after 5 minutes. My hair always very soft after using it, almost like I deep conditioned.

Camille Rose Coconut Water Penetrating Treatment - one of my favorite deep conditioners. Very moisturizing and softening (honestly, this whole line is moisturizing). I get the best results with this on damp or wet hair.

Trepadora Acai Berry Fix Defining Gel - A really good topper gel. Has good, but not great hold. Helps my wash and go's dry faster, and reduces my frizz when it's humid out.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Hit
Not sealing my hair after washing - I've been applying leave in conditioner, twisting my hair up, and going about my business. It's been surprisingly nice for my hair. When I get ready to detangle and retwist, I just spray with water and go. Hair comes out soft, shiny, juicy, and good to go for at least two weeks (depending on the leave-in I use; APB leave-ins have been best for me doing this). My hair has actually been okay with this and thank goodness because I'm just too stressed/depressed for a lot of things these days.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hit
Not sealing my hair after washing - I've been applying leave in conditioner, twisting my hair up, and going about my business. It's been surprisingly nice for my hair. When I get ready to detangle and retwist, I just spray with water and go. Hair comes out soft, shiny, juicy, and good to go for at least two weeks (depending on the leave-in I use; APB leave-ins have been best for me doing this). My hair has actually been okay with this and thank goodness because I'm just too stressed/depressed for a lot of things these days.

Hey sugahpie @rileypak

lindseyerinc

Mega Super Watt Hit:
Tea Tree oil!! I’ve been suffering with my scalp for months maybe all quarantine and I’ve been using oils and specialty shampoos. I even bought a scalp exfoliating serum and nothing worked.

After doing my hair yesterday I almost cried because I still had a dry flaky hairline. I took some apricot oil and put 10 drops of tea tree eo to make a very concentrated oil and put it on my scalp and hairline. I put my scarf on and finished my Sunday. Before bed I took my scarf off and looked in the mirror and all flakes were gone. I applied more oil and put the scarf back on and went to bed. This morning nothing came back. I’m so overjoyed! I had been using oil that did nothing I would just get greasy dandruff and after the oil sunk in the dandruff would come back. I was washing twice a week because by day 2-3 I’d have flakes all through my hair.

I wrote a novel but I’m just so happy!! I’m made it took me so long to do the most simple thing with supplies I had under my sink.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits

Sienna Naturals ( Issa rae collab)
  1. Dew Magic
    1. light weight, moisturizing and able to detangle. Only con is it was too liquidy so you would have to be careful not to spill.
  2. Lock & Seal
    1. Sealed in all the moisture from the dew magic, I wouldnt use it by itself though.

Mist Steamer
  1. Baby, the steam and heat, it was magical.
Oujoi Naturals
  1. Mango & Honey LIC sealed with the Mango & Honey oil after washing.
    1. My hair is soft and feels great for only a LIC and Oil.
Not a hit or miss

Sienna Naturals
  1. H AP I Shampoo
    1. My hair felt soft after rinsing but I had prepoo'd prior. It was creamy and slightly detangling though.
  2. Plant Power
    1. I wasnt that impressed but I used it as a conditioner and only left it in a few minutes.

Miss

Sienna Naturals Prices
  1. The shampoo is $18, the mask $22 , the oil $22 and the LIC, is $18. If there is every a good sale, I would buy the Curl Elixir and Untangle Conditioner to try out.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Continued Hit
Yaya Creations Chebe Butter
Yaya Creations Chebe Creme
Starting to run low on both so I just put in a new order. I like the oil too but I don't use it as much.

Year-long Hit
Also leaving my hair alone. My hair has been in twists all quarantine long and it has done wonders for my hair. I have retained all the length I have grown in that time. I am going to celebrate next month when I hit 1 year by taking my hair out and doing a nice silk press. (And then probably putting the twists back in. :lol:)

Rastafarai

Potential Hit: Eco Style Black Castor & Flaxseed Oil Gel

May have possibly found my replacement for Wetline Gel or even better. I've been doing WNGs this week and my curls are not only popping but staying in place overnight. No drying effect either. I also love how it keeps my hair light, with no residue or flakes. I may just have to stock up on this before they change the formula :lol:.

Chromia

Hit compared to the other masks / deep conditioners I can get on the ground:

Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream Moisture Repairing Mask

Most important: protein-free, seemed to moisturize well, and I was able to detangle with this in my hair.

Also my favorite packaging (jar) for a mask/DC, and easy to apply and spread throughout hair.

Rinsed well but seems like maybe it could have rinsed a little better, like maybe there was a tiny bit of film or residue on my hair after rinsing. Or maybe that's because of the Jane Carter Detox Shampoo I used right before it.

Mostly good quality ingredients. "Color additives" unnecessary though. The artificial green color looks neon as it's rinsed out.

I'm not a fan of "Fragrance (Parfum)" in this or any product, but if anyone is wondering, this smells like candy. Like a green apple Jolly Rancher, I guess.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Continued Hit(s) - in no particular order:
SSI's Combing Creme
SSI's Juicy Moisture Shot
Herbal Hair Oil (These are "loose" herbs you mix with various Oil(s) and allow to sit at least 48 hours before using)
Miss Jessie's Super Sweetback Treatment
Yadain Cultural Solutions *various*
Curl Junkie *various*