March No Buy Challenge (2017)

Aggie

Great job ladies. Let's finish strong. #teamnobuy
@Prettymetty

It has been slightly hard because I did come close to ordering some stuff and then I remembered I was in this challenge and it actually worked to keep me from ordering anything, even other skin care stuff that I like so much. I did get me some MAC lipsticks however :look:. But overall, I'd give myself an 'A' so far.

Last edited:

Sally.

I don't think I've bought anything all March. But I am definitely gonna do this challenge for April. Truthfully, there's nothing I need. Everything I get, I already have some version of in my cabinet that I can use.

Daina

I am going to join for April, I will be re-stocking all my DC's Friday and getting some Roux conditioner as well. I should be set doing that for April and May on hair products.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I did great this month until early this morning.
I dislike when vendors make stuff limited edition, knowing people actually liked a product :censored:

I've got specific purchasing plans for April (two Easter sales, only one if the other vendor doesn't have a sale). Other than that, I should remain on track during April if we start it up again next month.

Aggie

:yep: @Prettymetty

Please tag me for the April challenge as well. I think I can still wait before I purchase anything except of course if there are really good Easter sales. I might use my pass then. So far, I didn't use any passes this month and no hair product purchases either. I do need some Keracare Humecto however so I may break to get that today.

Lemme go check and see if the company has any in stock. If not, I'll continue my no-buy. I love some of the hand-made DCs but I think I love commercial deep conditioners a lot better.

When I'm done with this stash of hand-made DCs, I'll limit how much I repurchase and stick mostly with my Kerastase, Redken, Matrix, and Keracare brands. These do my hair a whole lotta good.

Last edited:

Aggie

Oh by the way, I got the 5 lb tub of Keracare Humecto because it was actually in stock - finally! This product sells so fast, it's off the shelf in a New York minute once stylists here know it's in stock. I had to go get mine before they take all. By Monday, there will be none left and the store is closed on Saturdays and Sundays so I wasn't taking any chances.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Ok. I may change the theme to Low Buy. Challengers must stay under $100 for the month and report all purchases. This seems easy, because the only thing I splurge on is wigs. I could buy a few Kerastase travel items and still have cash left over for accessories

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I like the idea of low buy @Saludable84

What would our monthly budget be?

It could be budget or limited purchases. I did $100 at most and did a few purchases a month over a small time. A budget is fine but you can make multiple purchases and it defeats the purpose. So I did a limit over like a weekend and it helped. I never reached the limit, but it helped me to buy what I felt was necessary and really buy for bargains, versus hanging out on PJ Blvd.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
It could be budget or limited purchases. I did $100 at most and did a few purchases a month over a small time. A budget is fine but you can make multiple purchases and it defeats the purpose. So I did a limit over like a weekend and it helped. I never reached the limit, but it helped me to buy what I felt was necessary and really buy for bargains, versus hanging out on PJ Blvd.
Like 1 purchase a week with a $20 limit?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Like 1 purchase a week with a $20 limit?

That could work. Or an overall budget that could curb unnecessary spending.

Like, now, if there isn't a sale for a major event/holiday or the discount doesn't justify the purchase, I don't bother. If I do purchase just to purchase, it would be small. Or for making my own products. Low buy would allow purchases, but there has to be an agreement for the pass so buying less than you normally would.

No buy doesn't work for me because it's too restricting :look: but low buy works.

My next pass would be Easter. Then Mother's Day.

I hope that helped explain where I am coming from.

CodeRed

I didn't think about that... maybe a low buy could be a quantity limit instead of a dollar limit?

I only purchased one hair product this month and I'm not going to buy my henna powders until April.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Just thinking out loud:

A low buy over a string of months might be more powerful than a no buy, especially a shorter one, for the reasons Saludable mentioned.

I like something like: an average of one product a week (or fewer) with no more than $50 spent each two weeks. That allows people to purchase an expensive DC, a low-cost wig, etc.

Example:
Weeks 1-2: You can spend up to $50
Weeks 3-4: You can spend up to $50
Entire month: 4 items or fewer

That is not very low for me given that my strategy this year was to spend freely though knowledgeably the first quarter and only reup on critical empties the last three quarters. I'd need to restrict myself to $30 every two weeks, or something like that.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@Prettymetty i think you can do both in one challenge. Some can do no buy and others can do low buy. The trick would be maybe to create separate types of low buys? Holiday versus budget. I think I purchased one hair related product this month. So, budget wise, I'm good, but I only got the product because I could. Otherwise, I've been doing holidays. January and February I stuck to holidays as well.

I also would not allow the budget to carryover. But it needs to be a lower budget. Even $100 over 12 months is excessive. I'm going on 6m on one bottle of shampoo and conditioner takes me through 3 wash days. I don't think WNG are even that expensive to maintain.