Marshae Jones: Woman Charged With Manslaughter For Suffering Miscarriage After Getting Shot

dancinstallion

Yeah, I don't get the whole mentality that she put herself in harm's way. People are acting like she went skydiving or robbed a
bank. Yeah, she was arguing with someone but the idea that any reasonable person would consider a verbal disagreement as endangering yourself seems like a stretch.

So you don't think going to fight someone is putting yourself in harm's way? And you are pregnant?

Every body should know Going into a physical fight that someone may get hurt.
It was proven that she Marshae was the instigator and started the physical fight, it wasn't an argument or verbal disagreement, it was a physical fight.

dancinstallion

Marshae didn't come to argue, no no no, she came to beat Ole girl's behind over messing with her man. Marshae knew that even while pregnant that she could beat Ebony down, so Marshae didn't wait to give birth to lay them hands on Ebony. Ebony knew this too and that is why she shot Marshae. Simple.

Raise your hand if you are willing to take a beat down from a pregnant lady from the hood that's fighting you over a man?
:bye:anybody?

:lachen:

Brwnbeauti

The fact that Alabama is a predominantly black state and the government is trying to shut down planned parenthood and get rid of abortion services should have black women shaking. A lot of employers aren’t paying for estrogen therapy treatments that work well for women anymore either. The Depo shot and Mirena is expensive out of pocket. They might pay for pills still, since women aren’t consistent with taking them..
they are trying to choices and options away from away from women. And that means keep them barefoot and pregnant, basically turning women back into dependents.
Alabama 60+% white.

Dellas

The fact that Alabama is a predominantly black state and the government is trying to shut down planned parenthood and get rid of abortion services should have black women shaking. A lot of employers aren’t paying for estrogen therapy treatments that work well for women anymore either. The Depo shot and Mirena is expensive out of pocket. They might pay for pills still, since women aren’t consistent with taking them..
they are trying to choices and options away from away from women. And that means keep them barefoot and pregnant, basically turning women back into dependents.

America has a history of liking to watch the suffering of others. Blacks have always been the target. Now, Mexican immigrants. I knew that it wasn't just good enough to turn them away at the border but they would be jailed for a profit and harmed then blamed for their own suffering.

Last edited:

dicapr

Marshae didn't come to argue, no no no, she came to beat Ole girl's behind over messing with her man. Marshae knew that even while pregnant that she could beat Ebony down, so Marshae didn't wait to give birth to lay them hands on Ebony. Ebony knew this too and that is why she shot Marshae. Simple.

Raise your hand if you are willing to take a beat down from a pregnant lady from the hood that's fighting you over a man?
:bye:anybody?

:lachen:

That’s what I got out of the situation. Ebony has been messing with Marshae’s man and she probably knew she was looking for her. As far as the altercation if she was really suffering a beat down I don’t think she would have fired a “warning” shot. I think she got pushed and pulled out a gun. I level of fearing for you life in a stand your ground state is pretty low.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
^^^ Seriously?

Yeah, I don't get the whole mentality that she put herself in harm's way. People are acting like she went skydiving or robbed a bank. Yeah, she was arguing with someone but the idea that any reasonable person would consider a verbal disagreement as endangering yourself seems like a stretch.

Seriously.

I am from the ghetto. I KNOW women like this. They don't give two gotdamns about themselves, their kids or anyone else. My auntie is damned 70 still out there throwing hands.

As much as I care for others, there is nothing i, or even we can do to pump esteem into some people. She literally helped create this situation by attempting to assault someone. It did not just happen to her. Oh, and when you do bail them out, literally and figuratively...what happens? They end up back in trouble. Some people are beyond hard headed. It is damn near a lifestyle.

Play stupid games. Win crappy prizes. As for as govt policy goes...I have my ear to the streets. But wont be caping for Marshae.

HappilyLiberal

Yeah, I don't get the whole mentality that she put herself in harm's way. People are acting like she went skydiving or robbed a bank. Yeah, she was arguing with someone but the idea that any reasonable person would consider a verbal disagreement as endangering yourself seems like a stretch.

:::sigh:::

This was not just an argument. She STARTED a physical altercation with someone while she knew she was pregnant.

LdyKamz

What this girl did was stupid but the punishment isn't just "harsh" it's unjust and doesn't make any sense. It's a slippery slope to do something like this, even if to teach her a lesson. And for people to give a "well that's what happens" attitude is weird to me because it isn't what's supposed to happen. If she was charged with assault on this woman since she tried to fight her then yeah, that's what happens because that's what's supposed to happen.

This? This manslaughter charge in an instance like this is the start of something else and it's not about caping for her but for myself because next, it'll be me for some other asinine reason. It's scary to think about.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
See, as a a mom, who for an entire year prepped my body to be at its healthiest BEFORE I started doing the deed to get pregnant lol...well...

For me, this type of woman is likely the same kind that will make sure her man has before her child...that will do anything for a man before thinking about her child. I have seen it in real life.

Regarding the manslaughter charge, while it is tragic and unfortunate that this is a Black woman, I do think she bears culpability as she went looking for, initiated and continued the altercation willingly all while knowing she was pregnant. Even if a gun was not involved, deliberately getting into a physical fight while pregnant is...I can't even...

ETA: Just to be clear: I am not in favor of the government regulating women's bodies. I just don' t think that this particular case is an example of that really.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
And for people to give a "well that's what happens" attitude is weird to me because it isn't what's supposed to happen. If she was charged with assault on this woman since she tried to fight her then yeah, that's what happens because that's what's supposed to happen.

This? This manslaughter charge in an instance like this is the start of something else and it's not about caping for her but for myself because next, it'll be me for some other asinine reason. It's scary to think about.

While black women were at the women's marches talking about "what about our sons" we weren't reading the room about what was coming our way. Marshae Jones is in jail for having a miscarriage because that is the new normal. The crime she committed was the miscarriage, everything else is just commentary.

BW who suspect that they may become pregnant or have a dependency on Plan B better take a good look at what's going on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultu...eorgias-abortion-law-mean-women-who-miscarry/

Those who think that the idea of police investigating miscarriages seems outlandish may be surprised to learn it already happens. In 2016, The New York Times reported that a woman who miscarried two fetuses at 24 weeks was charged with “abuse of a corpse,” a class C felony that carries a 3-10 year prison sentence in Arkansas. Her bail was set at $50,000 and she's still awaiting trial. In New York, a woman who was not wearing her seatbelt during a car crash, which the jury felt caused her unborn fetus to die, was sentenced up to nine years in prison.

The ruling was thrown out by New York’s high court as they noted that it could be applied to a pregnant woman doing anything that could potentially endanger a fetus, from having a glass of wine to shoveling snow.

Another woman in Virginia was sentenced to five months in jail after she gave birth to a stillborn at home. She was charged with concealing a dead body despite making the quite reasonable claim that, since the fetus was never alive, it "cannot be dead.”

NaturalEnigma

But maybe she fought the girl because she was pregnant and hormonal. I found this definition below online of hormonal changes when pregnant. Her lawyer could argue because she was hormonal she acted irrationally. I know a lot of ladies who said they either fought or almost fought their husbands when they were pregnant. If I know you’re messing with my man I’m going to be upset, add hormones to it and I’m going to be crazy upset. I think she fought her becuase she didn’t think she’d fight back becuase she was pregnant. It’s the equivalent of beating up a handicap or old lady. They are off limits. She just messed with the wrong person who didn’t care.

Hormonal Changes
Anger when pregnant can be credited to the fluctuating pregnancy hormones. The hormonal changes during pregnancy may also trigger regular mood swings, ultra-sensitivity, strong and intense feelings.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

What color do ya'll think this woman is by her name?

Stomach pains woke Keysheonna Reed late one night last December. She climbed into the bathtub, hoping she would not wake any of the other nine people living in her small home in eastern Arkansas. Within minutes, she’d delivered twins, a boy and a girl. Both babies were born dead, the medical examiner would later determine. Their mother — 24 and already the mother of three — panicked. She found an old purple suitcase, put the bodies inside and got into her car. She “began to pray and just drove,” she said, according to a court affidavit, eventually leaving the suitcase on the side of County Road 602.

This personal tragedy was soon heightened by a legal one: When the suitcase was found several weeks later, the Cross County Sheriff’s Office, understandably, began an investigation and asked the public for information.

Ms. Reed turned herself in. An autopsy was performed, confirming that the babies had died in the womb. No illegal substances were found in their bodies. “Please pray for all the officers and people involved,” the sheriff, J.R. Smith, asked in a statement. Ms. Reed was charged with two counts of abuse of a corpse, a felony in Arkansas carrying a minimum sentence of three years and up to a decade in prison. A judge set bail at $50,000, a sum more than twice the per capita income for Cross County. Ms. Reed still awaits trial.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/28/opinion/abortion-pregnancy-pro-life.html

Repeat after your auntie Crackers: The crime is the miscarriage.

dancinstallion

Stomach pains woke Keysheonna Reed late one night last December. She climbed into the bathtub, hoping she would not wake any of the other nine people living in her small home in eastern Arkansas. Within minutes, she’d delivered twins, a boy and a girl. Both babies were born dead, the medical examiner would later determine. Their mother — 24 and already the mother of three — panicked. She found an old purple suitcase, put the bodies inside and got into her car. She “began to pray and just drove,” she said, according to a court affidavit, eventually leaving the suitcase on the side of County Road 602.

This personal tragedy was soon heightened by a legal one: When the suitcase was found several weeks later, the Cross County Sheriff’s Office, understandably, began an investigation and asked the public for information.

Ms. Reed turned herself in. An autopsy was performed, confirming that the babies had died in the womb. No illegal substances were found in their bodies. “Please pray for all the officers and people involved,” the sheriff, J.R. Smith, asked in a statement. Ms. Reed was charged with two counts of abuse of a corpse, a felony in Arkansas carrying a minimum sentence of three years and up to a decade in prison. A judge set bail at $50,000, a sum more than twice the per capita income for Cross County. Ms. Reed still awaits trial.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/28/opinion/abortion-pregnancy-pro-life.html

Okay Auntie
I hear you but do you think she would have went to jail if she called the ambulance when she gave birth in the tub? All that carrying the bodies around and leaving them on the side of the road just makes her look guilty.

The part about not wanting to wake the others up while giving birth reminds me of the lady that killed her kids outside so she didn't wake the husband.

She already had three kids so she knew what she was doing. This isn't a good example either.

Crackers Phinn

Okay Auntie
I hear you but do you think she would have went to jail if she called the ambulance when she gave birth in the tub? All that carrying the bodies around and leaving them on the side of the road just makes her look guilty.

The part about not wanting to wake the others up while giving birth reminds me of the lady that killed her kids outside so she didn't wake the husband.

She already had three kids so she knew what she was doing. This isn't a good example either.

I never had 2 dead babies fall out of me but I can see how it might have somebody not quite thinking right. There's a ton of coulda shoulda woulda's in this case but the coroners determined the babies were stillborn with no sign of drug abuse or physical trauma but Keysheonna still sitting in jail awaiting trial.
The idea of this is scary. I feel it is only going to target poor women though. Texas' law begins at conception but they are not out here locking women up for having miscarriages.

They haven't started yet. It's coming though.

dicapr

What this girl did was stupid but the punishment isn't just "harsh" it's unjust and doesn't make any sense. It's a slippery slope to do something like this, even if to teach her a lesson. And for people to give a "well that's what happens" attitude is weird to me because it isn't what's supposed to happen. If she was charged with assault on this woman since she tried to fight her then yeah, that's what happens because that's what's supposed to happen.

Thank you! People are reacting to her bad behavior rather than the implication of the charges. She is guilty of assault but they neglected to pursue that charge. They simply want to use this case as a back door way to establish a legal ruling for personhood of a fetus. People have to start looking at the full picture.

LivingInPeace

This is what y’all Christian fundamentalists wanted. Women are not people. We’ve always been secondary to men. Now we’re secondary to fetuses. Let’s see what’s next:
A pregnant woman is found to be at fault in a car accident. Let’s charge her with child endangering.
A pregnant woman gets into a fight with her husband and leaves to go home to her parents. Let’s charge her with kidnapping.
You better pay attention.

Brwnbeauti

Say it again.
There was a case study years ago on Atlanta news about those accidental deaths caused by guns in the home. When a white kid shoots a sibling, parent etc- nothing happens. Black kid shoot someone and here come the charges. These laws will be quite arbitrary and will not be applied fairly and will create cheap prison labor- even if it’s temporary because these young girls can’t make bail.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Okay Auntie

I agree, why did she go in the bathtub and not call the ambulance, sounds like she intended to do harm to the babies if they had been born alive

Kanky

I never had 2 dead babies fall out of me but I can see how it might have somebody not quite thinking right. There's a ton of coulda shoulda woulda's in this case but the coroners determined the babies were stillborn with no sign of drug abuse or physical trauma but Keysheonna still sitting in jail awaiting trial.

They haven't started yet. It's coming though.
A few years ago a congressman in VA tried to pass a law that a woman who miscarried has to notify the police and save the “product of conception” for inspection. They were basically demanding bloody pads and tampons be turned over to cops. Flushing the toilet could get you jail time.

This article blames it on ignorance, but I knew at the time that it was malice. This law essentially made miscarriages a crime to be investigated. There were a lot of GOP voting people who thought it was a good idea.
https://www.minnpost.com/second-opi...riages-reveals-ignorance-about-womens-health/

LdyKamz

The ruling was thrown out by New York’s high court as they noted that it could be applied to a pregnant woman doing anything that could potentially endanger a fetus, from having a glass of wine to shoveling snow.

And something like this from one of @Crackers Phinn previous posts is what I'm talking about. The charge is scary because either way, whatever the circumstances that day with Ms. Marshae Jones, she was going to get charged for the miscarriage of that baby. The girl could have instead come to her door to fight her and just gave her one quick stomach punch and it's likely she still would have been charged. Reason? She didn't shut the door fast enough or she answered the door in the first place.

Those examples posted above are all attempts to gain footing to be able to outright outlaw the death of any unborn child (how?!). In the cases posted, it's easy to make a legal argument for the reasons they should be charged, until everyone starts to go along and then there doesn't have to be a reason for a sound legal argument other than the baby died while the mother was carrying it. And then you're in jail for getting accidentally pushed and knocked down by a rambunctious kid (possibly your own!) in the supermarket while minding your own pregnant business and miscarrying.

Last edited:

Kanky

I agree, why did she go in the bathtub and not call the ambulance, sounds like she intended to do harm to the babies if they had been born alive
Maybe she thought they were Braxton Hicks? My doctor told me to drink water and relax when I had some contractions and she was right.

That woman obviously freaked out after the miscarriage.

Last edited:

meka72

I don’t disagree with the general sentiment here, that the Alabama case is out of proportion. However, I see the case you referenced a little differently given the charge of “abuse of a corpse.”

When my aunt was in early 20s, she hid her full term pregnancy and threw the baby in a dumpster. She was eventually arrested. She pleaded to something (can’t remember but it was probably something similar to “abuse of a corpse”), in part, because the medical examiner couldn’t determine whether the baby was born alive. My aunt said that it was not. She spent 6 months in jail.

RUBY

I don’t disagree with the general sentiment here, that the Alabama case is out of proportion. However, I see the case you referenced a little differently given the charge of “abuse of a corpse.”

When my aunt was in early 20s, she hid her full term pregnancy and threw the baby in a dumpster. She was eventually arrested. She pleaded to something (can’t remember but it was probably something similar to “abuse of a corpse”), in part, because the medical examiner couldn’t determine whether the baby was born alive. My aunt said that it was not. She spent 6 months in jail.

What happened to your aunt? Did she go on to live a fulfilling life?

Crackers Phinn

Can she vote?