Maryland's Historically Black Beaches (old Photos!)

gimbap

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-Remembering-Mds-Black-Beaches-435438993.html

Going to the Beach: Remembering Maryland's Black Beaches

By Erica Jones
Thursday, Aug 24, 2017

During segregation, African-American families couldn't go to the region's larger beaches. Fortunately, some enterprising entrepreneurs created spaces where African Americans could swim freely and without the fear of discrimination. Here's a vintage look at some of the region's popular black beaches.

Scurlock Studio Records, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution
1/25
YWCA camp for girls at Highland Beach Girls, 1930

WANN Radio Station, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution
2/25
Carr's Beach, affectionately called "The Beach," was a major stop on the "Chitlin Circuit." In this photo, singer Sarah Vaughn performs during a WANN broadcast in August 1956.

WANN Radio Station, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution
3/25
"The Teenagers" perform during a WANN broadcast at Carr's Beach in August 1956.

4/25
Four women pose in front of DJ Hoppy Adam's convertible at Carr's Beach.

5/25
Teens hit the dance floor at Carr's Beach in July 1956.

6/25
A crowd watches a WANN broadcast at Carr's Beach in July 1956.

7/25
Red and white sign from WANN broadcast at Carr's Beach

8/25
Known as "The Beach," Carr's Beach was a major stop on the "Chitlin Circuit," with performances from big stars of the day like James Brown and Etta James.

Collection of the Banneker-Douglas Museum
9/25
Family of six on the beach

10/25
"Wild" Bill Doggett

11/25
Crowd Dancing at Carr's Beach

Highland Beach Historical Commission
12/25
Group on pier at Highland Beach

13/25
Sparrow's Beach Beauty Pageant

14/25
Children Learning to Swim at Carr's Beach

15/25
Crowd at Carr's Beach

16/25
Hoppy Adams on Stage at Carr's Beach

17/25
Crowd at Carr's Beach

18/25
Five people lounging on beach

19/25
Amusement rides at Sparrow's Beach.

20/25
Women at Highland Beach

gimbap

21/25
Group at Highland Beach

22/25
Haley Douglas, a descendant of Frederick Douglas and the first mayor of Highland Beach.

23/25
Highland Beach

24/25
Group of children at Highland Beach

25/25
Beauty Pageant at Sparrow's or Carr's Beach

Source: Going to the Beach: Remembering Maryland's Black Beaches - NBC4 Washington http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ds-Black-Beaches-435438993.html#ixzz4rT6pfWH5
Follow us: @nbcwashington on Twitter | NBCWashington on Facebook

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
These are nice. One thing I notice is that there don't seem to be any overweight young people. I wonder what their diet and lifestyle were like.
I noticed that and also the opposite. No one was bony skinny either. I notice in most of these kinds of pics that the women look healthy, a bit fleshy and "normal" weight. Obviously not today's normal but I mean somewhere between skinny and chubby. And the men generally look lean.

Last edited:

RossBoss

[
I noticed that and also the opposite. No one was bony skinny either. I notice in most of these kinds of pics that the women look healthy, a bit fleshy and "normal" weight. Obviously not today's normal but I mean somewhere between skinny and chubby. And the men generally look lean.

I do see a lot of beanpoles and Olive Oyls in old pics. And many of the slim people have no muscle tone since strength training wasn't popular among the masses back then.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I love old photos! It's so strange to me to see the expressions and faces looking just the way they do today . like the guy with the hat and striped shirt dancing here on the lower left...he could so be from today :lol:

Idk why i always imagine people were so different then.
What about the girl in the middle with her arms crossed? She looks like her sweetheart is dancing with someone else!

Lady S

These are nice. One thing I notice is that there don't seem to be any overweight young people. I wonder what their diet and lifestyle were like.
Jobs that involved more physical activity like factory work or being a maid. Even people in the office were probably more mobile because of physical files, paperwork, etc. If they're teens, they are walking to school, playing outside, etc. I would imagine the diet was close to traditional soul food. At the time, no biggie because the level activity, but as they grew older you see high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease, etc. My mom was born in 1942 and her childhood, teen and young adult stories involve so much walking. It makes my feet hurt just thinking about it. :laugh:

Goombay_Summer

I'm totally enthralled by the four cool cats donning shades, although one of them missed the memo about wearing hats, in any event they're out there looking like the cat pajamas. (I probably used the lingo all wrong :laugh: ).

I wonder what become of these handsome young "shady" men radiating just the right amount of bad boys of yesteryear. From a historical perspective are we seeing the distant predecessor of today's mordern kang? :giggle:

SoniT

Beautiful photos! They look like they're having a good time. I've seen old photos of my family members at Carr's and Sparrow's beaches. The other beaches in the DC/Maryland area were segregated back then. There was also a segregated amusement park called Glenn Echo.