Mason Pearson Combs & Breaking Points...

JustKiya

So..... I'm eyeing a Mason Pearson - the C3, fine toothed one, to be specific.

My concern is that - well, I've broken several a comb in my day, and I don't wanna drop 16 bucks on a comb that will be missing tines as soon as I use it the first time.

So - ladies who love them - what's the word? Can they handle dense hair? Drops from the edge of the bathroom sink? Encounters with the tub?

TIA!

gymfreak336

So it IS flexible?? I was worried that it would be brittle/stiff....

Hrrrmmm.... :yep:

Yeah, you can bend it. I really like the comb. My only complaint is that the tail end of it isn't as sharp as I like. Otherwise, its great. I bought that one and the C5 I believe. I plan on upgrading the rest of my combs to masonpearsons or Rachel Stephens combs this year.

CocoGlow

I've got the C2

and the #C7

They are very flexible but sturdy combs and I have dropped them several times w/ no problems....I am currently on finger-detangle only thing but if and when I go back to combs, these will be the ones I use....when I was using them, I'd use the C7 first b/c the teeth are wider & follow up w/ the C2.....

JustKiya

Ooooohh!! I hadn't even looked at the bigger combs! I guess if I'm going seam-free, I should really go seam-free...

Do you have to keep them dry?

LiLi

They will not break. I have combed through my son's hair with all of mine with no problems at all. I have all of the combs except for the travel comb. They will last a lifetime ... plus they seem to be heat resistant so that is a BIG plus. I recommend these combs to everyone. My Sis Gelati put me on to them. :grin:

gymfreak336

They will not break. I have combed through my son's hair with all of mine with no problems at all. I have all of the combs except for the travel comb. They will last a lifetime ... plus they seem to be heat resistant so that is a BIG plus. I recommend these combs to everyone. My Sis Gelati put me on to them. :grin:

You are the reason I bought them so big THANKYOU!

CenteredGirl

Nappy,

I have one, I have dense hair and my hair loves it. I don't comb in big chunks and I fan out the ends so that they are as thin as possible. Seems to work awight.

JustKiya

Do you have to keep them dry? I have another bone comb, and it 'flakes' up in the shower unless I rub it with lanolin.... :look: and well, it doesn't happen that often.... :ohwell:

*has hand poised over the order button*

Butterfly08

Do you have to keep them dry? I have another bone comb, and it 'flakes' up in the shower unless I rub it with lanolin.... :look: and well, it doesn't happen that often.... :ohwell:

*has hand poised over the order button*

I've never noticed an issue with flaking.

Also, MP combs will not break if dropped, but I have noticed that my thick, tangly hair may be a bit much for the combs unless I comb in small sections and very gently and slowly. Any time I feel it bending a little I take my force down a notch. I have broken a Kent comb on my daughter's hair when it was natural, so I don't want to take any chances with my MPs. Cost too much, shoot! :lachen:

I also have a Madora bone comb that is hard as a diamond and wide for detangling. Love it!!! :grin:

onyxcabelo

I've got the C2

and the #C7

I use these too. I love these - very sturdy - I don't think I'll ever buy anything but MP combs from here on out. I don't have the fine toothed one you're thinking of getting, but it might just have to be the next one on my list:lick:.