May 2015 Hits & Misses

julzinha

Continued Hit: Mix of African Pride Olive Miracle Braid Spray and Infusium 23 for my braid regimen.

Semi Miss: Taliah Waajid Protective Bodifier Mist. At first I felt as though my hair loved this, but it builds up on my hair so quickly.

PJaye

APB Sweet & Salty Body Scrub

I received a 2oz sample with my last order and was able to garner three full uses from it. The consistency of this product is very similar to that of the Shea Terra Body Scrubs - it has a thick, creamy, conditioner-like appearance with a gritty texture (although this product's texture was significantly less gritty than that of a traditional scrub). As a result, it applied and rinsed extremely, but produced minimal exfoliating properties given the sparse amount of exfoliants. It felt as if I were co-washing my body, which is not a bad thing because my skin felt very soft after each use. However, given its gentleness and limited exfoliating agents, this product could easily be used on a daily basis.

FWIW, the unidentified scent (there was no label) has a light fruity-sugary aroma.

ms.blue

HIT: NaturelleGrow lemon detoxifying conditioning cleanser. I'm currently wearing a sew in so I used this product on my leave out and any where my natural hair is exposed. This conditioning cleanser actually cleaned my hair and left my hair really soft.

NaturelleGrow pure hydration leave in is another major hit. I used this leave in on my leave out and even on my weave hair...left both my natural and weave hair soft.

Komaza care jojoba hemp oil. I bought this product last yr but never really cared about this product but maybe I just didn't use it right because this is a major hit.

MISS: No misses so far.

JURY STILL OUT: I used naturellegrow blue marva conditioner. My hair felt ok but not really moisturized but my low porosity hair responds better to deep conditioning with heat. I really believe this conditioner will work better with heat. I will try again once I remove this weave in a couple of weeks.

oneastrocurlie

APB Sweet & Salty Body Scrub

I received a 2oz sample with my last order and was able to garner three full uses from it. The consistency of this product is very similar to that of the Shea Terra Body Scrubs - it has a thick, creamy, conditioner-like appearance with a gritty texture (although this product's texture was significantly less gritty than that of a traditional scrub). As a result, it applied and rinsed extremely, but produced minimal exfoliating properties given the sparse amount of exfoliants. It felt as if I were co-washing my body, which is not a bad thing because my skin felt very soft after each use. However, given its gentleness and limited exfoliating agents, this product could easily be used on a daily basis.

FWIW, the unidentified scent (there was no label) has a light fruity-sugary aroma.

I feel the same away about this gentleness of the scrub. I didn't like it though. I like my scrubs gritty like Shea moisture scrubs.

mzpurp

Hit: setting my hair on flexi rods
Hitter: Using this Jane Carter Solution curl defining cream when doing my set
Miss: My flexi's being still damp this morning because of the cream LOL! So I took a couple out in the front and put on a beanie to hide the fact that I still have flexis in my head at work :lachen:

AgeinATL

Hit: Shescentit Okra Reconstructor

Mannnnnn, I have been sleeping on this. I am LP, so I tend to stay away from most proteins, but after reading a review from another LP head, I decided to give it a try. WOW. It went on smooth, it had some slip and it left my hair feeling amazing. I did follow up with a moisturizing DC just to make sure that didn't experience protein overload. This 'hit' makes me want to try other Shescentit products, so I am hoping for a Mother's Day sale.

QUESTION: Has anyone used both the Komaza Protein and the Shescentit Reconstructor? How do they compare?

Miss: Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab

I used to love this DC as a relaxed head, but my natural hair does NOT like it. I think it may be too lightweight for my natural hair. I used it in my moisturizing spritz and it seems to work better. I won't repurchase after I use it up.

ms.blue

Mannnnnn, I have been sleeping on this. I am LP, so I tend to stay away from most proteins, but after reading a review from another LP head, I decided to give it a try. WOW. It went on smooth, it had some slip and it left my hair feeling amazing. I did follow up with a moisturizing DC just to make sure that didn't experience protein overload. This 'hit' makes me want to try other Shescentit products, so I am hoping for a Mother's Day sale.

QUESTION: Has anyone used both the Komaza Protein and the Shescentit Reconstructor? How do they compare?

I used to love this DC as a relaxed head, but my natural hair does NOT like it. I think it may be too lightweight for my natural hair. I used it in my moisturizing spritz and it seems to work better. I won't repurchase after I use it up.

I used use shescenit reconstructor as my protein and it was good but Komaza protein strengthener is much better. I can actually feel the product working plus my hair holds on to moisture so much better.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Continued Hits

TGIN Honey Hair Mask, super soft hair after rinsing
MyHoneychild Molasses Mask, creamy , sinks right in , soft hair after rinsing
Twisted Sista Dream Curling Cream, great slippery gel, smells yum
Sweet Soul Magic Gel, gooey slippery gel

Neither a hit nor a miss
Tangles and Beyond Rhassoul Whip , good lather, no residue, however my hair was squeaky clean.

PJaye

For me, the SSI Okra Reconstructor is a very light protein conditioner (a moisturizing conditioner with a small protein kick), whereas the Komaza Strengthener is a heavy-medium to hard treatment and true strengthener.

ms.blue

How does the SSI fortifying conditioner compare to the SSI okra reconstructor for a protein conditioner?
I liked the smell of the okra better the fortifying conditioner but that doesn't help. The fortifying conditioner from what I can remember wasn't a strong enough protein hence why I went with the reconstructor. I one time slept with the fortifying conditioner in my head and was paranoid that I gave myself protein overload...I didn't lol. Out of the two, I would go with the reconstructor over the fortifying conditioner in terms of protein.