May 2017: Hits & Misses

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hit: The Mane Choice biotin gel

:heart:

I think this is the best gel I've ever used. My wash-and-go feels great! My coils are defined with hold that is strong and heavenly-soft at the same time. I used it over Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion. My coils are separated, and not webbed as they often get with gelled wash-and-go's. I have zero flakes. The container is large for the price!

Disclaimer: I've only used it twice (yesterday and today), and the first time when I used it alone, it was very drying.
Hit: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion

My hair started out very shrunken and tangled this morning. After sectioning then cowashing and detangling very quickly with the SM Hipo masque, in the shower I further detangled (and moisturized and conditioned) with the Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion. It performed that triple duty excellently!

tapioca_pudding

Hit: The Mane Choice biotin gel

:heart:

I think this is the best gel I've ever used. My wash-and-go feels great! My coils are defined with hold that is strong and heavenly-soft at the same time. I used it over Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion. My coils are separated, and not webbed as they often get with gelled wash-and-go's. I have zero flakes. The container is large for the price!

Disclaimer: I've only used it twice (yesterday and today), and the first time when I used it alone, it was very drying.​

I've said it before on this board but I was actually surprised at how many Mane Choice products actually worked really well for my hair. My husband and I LOVE this gel for our curls. :yep: Lays edges nicely too. But I have always layered it on top of something else, never used it alone.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword

I've said it before on this board but I was actually surprised at how many Mane Choice products actually worked really well for my hair. My husband and I LOVE this gel for our curls. :yep: Lays edges nicely too. But I have always layered it on top of something else, never used it alone.

I believe some of the negative reviews could be from heavy use of either a leave-in, the gel, or both. One video I saw, the tester removed any excess product (leave-in and gel) between her fingers before working on the next section.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I believe some of the negative reviews could be from heavy use of either a leave-in, the gel, or both. One video I saw, the tester removed any excess product (leave-in and gel) between her fingers before working on the next section.

Thanks for sharing. :yep: That's exactly how I used it the gel this morning: squeezing out the excess Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion leave-in and the excess Mane Choice gel. I adore the results.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
New Hit: KindredButters (Etsy) green tea and babassu conditioner...thick and whipped yet light and slightly fluffy. Has a slight herbal scent but it's very light and it doesn't linger. Emulsifies beautifully, softens upon contact. I used this last week with heat and today without heat, both times I was able to detangle without adding any additional products. Leaves my hair feeling soft and moist, felt like I could skip the leave in. Definitely a keeper, already ordered 2 more jars.

Continued Hit: APB honey body glaze to seal. Does my hair so right. Locks in moisture, keeps my hair soft but not greasy all week. And this nag champa scent is :lick:

Continued hit: APB hair and body butta. Whipped love in a jar.

Miss: Doing my entire wash day at the sink. Doesn't feel like I fully detangled cuz I was tired of bending over. I know better.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
New Hit: KindredButters (Etsy) green tea and babassu conditioner...thick and whipped yet light and slightly fluffy. Has a slight herbal scent but it's very light and it doesn't linger. Emulsifies beautifully, softens upon contact. I used this last week with heat and today without heat, both times I was able to detangle without adding any additional products. Leaves my hair feeling soft and moist, felt like I could skip the leave in. Definitely a keeper, already ordered 2 more jars.
@curlyhersheygirl
Glad we got in on this!:up:

@KinksAndInk
Thank you for your review.:goodpost:

Daina

@Aggie, have they stopped making the Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus? I really like that one and the anti-snap leave-in when I need an extra boost of protein.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Confirmed Hit:
Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water DC

When I rinse this DC out with cool/cold water, my hair is hydrated AND moisturized . . . and remains so! This is the 4th time!!!

I have tried DOZENS of DCs. My hair always feels like I haven't DC'd as soon as I rinse out a DC.

So, so far this is the ONLY DC that leaves my hair feeling hydrated and moisturized. Finally!: My DC search can end!

PJaye

Confirmed Hit:
Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water DC

When I rinse this DC out with cool/cold water, my hair is hydrated AND moisturized . . . and remains so! This is the 4th time!!!

I have tried DOZENS of DCs. My hair always feels like I haven't DC'd as soon as I rinse out a DC.

So, so far this is the ONLY DC that leaves my hair feeling hydrated and moisturized. Finally!: My DC search can end!

I told you that DC was no joke. I'm glad that you were able to find an effective staple for your routine. FWIW, a possible replacement for the SM HiPo could be the Silicon Mix original or Bambu given how you've described your use the SM. Those two always give me good moisture, softness and slip when I use them the way you do. However, if the moisture/softness isn't where you need it to be, you can add oil to them or to your scalp using an applicator bottle prior to applying the Silicon Mixes (avocado, almond, EVOO and JBCO are my usual go-tos). They're inexpensive and worth a shot. If I think of any other possible replacements, I will let you know.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I told you that DC was no joke. I'm glad that you were able to find an effective staple for your routine. FWIW, a possible replacement for the SM HiPo could be the Silicon Mix original or Bambu given how you've described your use the SM. Those two always give me good moisture, softness and slip when I use them the way you do. However, if the moisture/softness isn't where you need it to be, you can add oil to them or to your scalp using an applicator bottle prior to applying the Silicon Mixes (avocado, almond, EVOO and JBCO are my usual go-tos). They're inexpensive and worth a shot. If I think of any other possible replacements, I will let you know.

@PJaye, thank you so much!!!

You were SO right!!!

Thank you for the SM hipo masque replacement reqs. :kiss:

PJaye

@PJaye, thank you so much!!!

You were SO right!!!

Thank you for the SM hipo masque replacement reqs. :kiss:

You're quite welcome. Finding the right products can be a daunting task, and being forced to find a replacement for a staple product is heartbreaking. Besides, I feel somewhat responsible for your plight since I recommended the SM to you. Once you sample the Silicon Mix and see how that behaves for you, the information gleaned will help guide us in the search for a replacement. I still want to punch that SM dude in the throat tho.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
You're quite welcome. Finding the right products can be a daunting task, and being forced to find a replacement for a staple product is heartbreaking. Besides, I feel somewhat responsible for your plight since I recommended the SM to you. Once you sample the Silicon Mix and see how that behaves for you, the information gleaned will help guide us in the search for a replacement. I still want to punch that SM dude in the throat tho.

:yep:

:kiss:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Mega, mega, mega hit: 22nd Century Natural Woman Shampoo Bar

I used it last night / this morning. :drool: :love: Why do I ever stop using it?!?? :whyme: (Well, I think I know: I didn't want to be dependent on the brand/line, and so I started trialing other soaps and that allowed me to "forget" just how amazing the 22nd Century Natural Woman Shampoo Bar is. :yep:)

Review:
So . . . this shampoo bar is AH-MA-ZING on my hair. It provides the best wash experience I've ever had, and I honestly can't IMAGINE it being possible to have a better wash experience. (Well, if it came in the exact same sent as the Jakeala conditioner bar, that would take it over the top! Woo!) Anyway:
  • It lathers fast.
  • It elongates the hair and leaves it stretched, and so shed hairs just SLIIIIIIIIIIIIDE out. (I remove way more shed hairs when I use it than with ANY OTHER CLEANSER I've tried.)
  • Its suds are pretty slippery, so I easily continue detangling with it once it's in and as I'm working it through my strands to cleanse them.
  • As if all of that weren't enough, after rinse-out my hair feels SUPER HEALTHY and VERY HYDRATED.
Though it will cleanse the scalp, to more easily/thoroughly get to my scalp, I now use the Cantu ACV rinse. This duo is a winner!!! Once a month I will chelate. Otherwise, I have my go-to cleansers ID'ed!

trueheartofgold

Mega, mega, mega hit: 22nd Century Natural Woman Shampoo Bar

I used it last night / this morning. :drool: :love: Why do I ever stop using it?!?? :whyme: (Well, I think I know: I didn't want to be dependent on the brand/line, and so I started trialing other soaps and that allowed me to "forget" just how amazing the 22nd Century Natural Woman Shampoo Bar is. :yep:)

Review:
So . . . this shampoo bar is AH-MA-ZING on my hair. It provides the best wash experience I've ever had, and I honestly can't IMAGINE it being possible to have a better wash experience. (Well, if it came in the exact same sent as the Jakeala conditioner bar, that would take it over the top! Woo!) Anyway:
  • It lathers fast.
  • It elongates the hair and leaves it stretched, and so shed hairs just SLIIIIIIIIIIIIDE out. (I remove way more shed hairs when I use it than with ANY OTHER CLEANSER I've tried.)
  • Its suds are pretty slippery, so I easily continue detangling with it once it's in and as I'm working it through my strands to cleanse them.
  • As if all of that weren't enough, after rinse-out my hair feels SUPER HEALTHY and VERY HYDRATED.
Though it will cleanse the scalp, to more easily/thoroughly get to my scalp, I now use the Cantu ACV rinse. This duo is a winner!!! Once a month I will chelate. Otherwise, I have my go-to cleansers ID'ed!

So now I'm curious :sekret:...your reviews always lead me to look up the featured product! :rofl:

I'm guessing you like this more than the CR Rinse?