May 2017: Hits & Misses

nymane

MISS:

x2 tubes of Nexxus Emergencee Reconstructing Treatment
- no backups - not a repurchase because I can get Dudley's DRC 28 on the ground and dollar for ounce, it's cheaper for me too. It's a good strengthener though - I'm just trying to minimize my online purchases to just a few vendors and items.

x1 jar of J. Monique's Burdock Root & Nettle Hair Repair Treatment - no backups and not a repurchase. It offered my hair no slip but I think it did strengthen my hair a teeny bit - again I'll stick with my Joico K-Pak line, Keracare 5 in 1 Reconstructor and Keracare Restorative Hair Masque since I can also get these on the ground.

x1 jar of J. Monique's Hibiscus & Broccoli Deep Conditioner - no backips and no repurchase. Not enough moisture and definitely no slip so I'll stick with my Joico line and Keracare Humecto - I get far better results from these.

If you like the Nexxus Emergencee (but not the small size), you can find the 16.9 oz bottle for about $25 - $35 (on amazon or sleekhair.com).

I've always been curious about the Dudley DRC 28; I've only heard good things about it.

MilkChocolateOne

Big hit:

I don't know what kind of sorcery is in this but my hair is hella shiny, silky and smooth without oil or residue when I touch my hair or on my pillow. It smells awesome and detangles well too(I mean it is a serum).

New ingredients: Isopropyl myristate, aloe vera extract, vitamin e, cyclomethicone, dimethicone copolyol, isopropyl palmitate, fragrance.

Old packaging and ingredients: DIMETHICONE, CYCLOMETHICONE, ALOE VERA, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, BENZOPHENONE-3, VITAMIN E ACETATE, FRAGRANCE (PARFUME).

Sorry for the long post.
Did you order online or did you find it on the ground? I need a new serum and I want to try this.

Aggie

If you like the Nexxus Emergencee (but not the small size), you can find the 16.9 oz bottle for about $25 - $35 (on amazon or sleekhair.com).

I've always been curious about the Dudley DRC 28; I've only heard good things about it.
I have this one as well. It is a great treatment and my hair loves that one too. I will not be ordering it from either of the sites you mentioned though. I order mine from another site for less than the price you quoted.

FelaShrine

Big HIT

APB Honey Molasses DC was amazing in my hair last night. My hair rinsed and felt soft, springy and well moisturised, my tiny coils were clumped but yet my hair felt like I did a mild protein treatment.

View attachment 400099

That's exactly how my hair felt with the Not Easily Broken conditioner. Loved it. Thanks again to @PJaye for suggesting it

Destiny9109

Last edited:

LushLox

@Destiny9109 I completely concur, I will always avoid going to the Asian BSS. Not stepped in one for years.

-----------------

I don't think many would have heard of this line on here but most of the SachaJuan range.

Ongoing hits:-
SJ Hair Repair
SJ Leave In
SJ Overnight Hair Treatment (smells so beautiful)

Hair is incredibly silky and soft when I use these products, it simply melts through any tangles. They are all quite expensive though, like everything else that I seem to like. :look:

DST1913

Hit
DIY Goat milk conditoner- adding this as a staple for every 2 weeks. The way my curls looked were like wow!

Tressamme Botanique conditoner - this stuff literally melted my tangles

Hit that may be a miss
Oyin hair dew- I was in love with this. But either my hair has gotten used to it or as I transition my texture is changing and I need to switch up some products

Miss
Camille Rose Naturals Ginger rinse. Tangled my hair and was not moisturizing

Cantu coconut curling cream. Too heavy and made my hair greasy. I wanted to like so I could replace hair dew but didnt work

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit and Miss:
APB Matcha Green Tea Spritz

Hit because it is a great refresher, softens and helps when I'm bunning. Gives my hair an instant umph.

Miss because it's green tea and strengthening. Over the week, it does dry my hair a bit because it's a tad too strengthening for me.

This may be good for someone with thinner strands, but overall, I like it and will continue to use it.

AgeinATL

Hit:
Kindred Butters Peppermint Mocha Joe and Joe's Joe deep conditioners

Listen. I RARELY post hits when it comes to DCs because my hair is real fickle and particular. These DCs are AMAZING. The Joe's Joe is very moisturizing and the peppermint mocha is moisturizing with a bit of protein. My hair is protein sensitive, so I had to follow up with a moisturizing DC but for someone else, I can see them not having to follow up with anything.

I wasn't sure about them at first because the DCs aren't super thick but it was surprisingly SUPER moisturizing. As I was applying it, I was iffy but once I applied heat and my hair soaked up the product, I was SHOCKED. I couldn't stop touching my hair and most importantly, my hair stayed moisturized for the rest of the week.

She uses quality ingredients and I can pronounce the ingredient list. A little goes a long way, so you can get quite a few uses.

Lissa0821

MAJOR MISS:

Camille Rose Fresh Curl topped with Wetline gel. It goes on clear and dries clear but after day one my hair is ashy looking and full of huge flakes.

I will use Fresh Curl only for my braids under wigs and Curl Love with Wetline for my buns and ponytails.

Sally.

@PJaye, thank you so much!!!

You were SO right!!!

Thank you for the SM hipo masque replacement reqs. :kiss:
You're quite welcome. Finding the right products can be a daunting task, and being forced to find a replacement for a staple product is heartbreaking. Besides, I feel somewhat responsible for your plight since I recommended the SM to you. Once you sample the Silicon Mix and see how that behaves for you, the information gleaned will help guide us in the search for a replacement. I still want to punch that SM dude in the throat tho.
Wait, why are yall talking about replacements for the Shea Moisture Hi Po Masque? I just bought it yesterday and looking forward to trying it on wash day in the next coming weeks. Is it being discontinued or reformulated?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Wait, why are yall talking about replacements for the Shea Moisture Hi Po Masque? I just bought it yesterday and looking forward to trying it on wash day in the next coming weeks. Is it being discontinued or reformulated?

No. It's still HG for my hair. I am just moving away from SM products over a political controversy. I still have a full jar and will savor every use. I love it.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@Sally., it wasn't the add that bothered me. I have run a business and you MUST expand your customer base all of the time.

It was the photo of their staff now (all white women) and the CEO (or whatever) 's interviews after the controversy. I just can't give a bleepin' dime (excuse my language) to SM any more. It angers me. I don't work to enrich these types of folks. Sorry, NOT SORRY.

That's me, though. I don't blame others for continuing to purchase from them. I understand.

Sally.

@Sally., it wasn't the add that bothered me. I have run a business and you MUST expand your customer base all of the time.

It was the photo of their staff now (all white women) and the CEO (or whatever) 's interviews after the controversy. I just can't give a bleepin' dime (excuse my language) to SM any more. It angers me. I don't work to enrich these types of folks. Sorry, NOT SORRY.

That's me, though. I don't blame others for continuing to purchase from them. I understand.
I totally forgot about that controversy and how the CEO/company responded as if we don't matter! I actually detest all Shea Moisture products with a passion because the ones that I used in the past, each left my hair feeling less than stellar. Also, since I haven't really been buying anything these past 2 years, I forgot about the SM "strike" (I know that's not what you are on or are calling it). I just picked up the Hi Po Masque on a whim yesterday after I read some of the rave reviews. But I'm definitely not trying to buy any more Shea Moisture products.

Aggie

It was the photo that incited so much anger among the black community who actually was the catalyst that mobilized SM's upward success. It was the fact that SM decided to use a photo with only white to whitish women in it in order to not offend the possible racist white community.

I am all for business expansion, however, if that is truly your goal as a business, it is my opinion that you include women of all color in your advertisements. This way, your black customers would not feel slighted in any way.